Chocolate Rain - The Bruery

Wants: 2,450
The Bruery visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.50% ABV

Beer added by: mikedashg on 10-28-2009

Black Tuesday with Vanilla Bean & Cocoa Nibs.

2011: 18.5% ABV
2012: 19.5% ABV
2013: 18.0% ABV
2014: 18.5% ABV
Ratings: 2,226 | Reviews: 311
4.42/5  rDev -2.6%

Batch 2

Appearance: Very dark brown with a fairly small beige head which dissipated fairly quickly. Considerable legs on this one.

Smell: Upfront Bourbon, raisins, brown sugar, vanilla, chocolate/cocoa, and a bit of coffee/roasted malt aroma. Also a bit of ethanol in the nose.

Taste: Bourbon, raisins, vanilla, brown sugar, chocolate, and some coffee/roast malts appearing in the finish. There is an alcohol presence but no way is a beer that's 40 proof not going to have an alcohol presence. Nice barrel presence and flavor complexity.

Mouth-feel: Medium to full bodied. Some heat but good for it's alcohol level.

Overall: Good beer, which is quite a bit better closer to room temperature. My memory may not be accurate but I feel the cask version I had in 2010 and Batch 1 were a bit better than the batch 2 bottle being reviewed. Nonetheless, it's a big beer that's a stellar sipper.

4.39/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Shared tonight with several friends.
Pours an inky black without much of a head that musters but dissipates quickly. The aroma from this glass is heavenly. Deep rich caramel and chocolate with hints of brownie batter, roast, vanilla and a fair amount of alcohol. You can tell this is high in abv from the aroma, but it never seems harsh. The flavor follows the aroma but the alcohol is a bit more evident but it really never harsh. Rich chocolate, vanilla, roast, caramel, and molasses flavors melded into a high abv sipper. This would be an excellent brew to sip with a few friends on a cold night with some cigars or brownies. Thick body with a light level of carbonation and a sweet almost syrupy mouthfeel. I/we enjoyed the hell out of this beer tonight, too bad I may never see another bottle of this!

4.85/5  rDev +6.8%

Reviewed from notes as JLindros and I split the bottle as part of our RS membership. Review #1000!

A - Holy shit!!! Thin mocha head atop a blackish brown hued pour. Outstanding with so much lovely legs!

S - TONS of chocolate and bourbon! Big, big vanilla comes through as it warms with nice light malt too. So much chocolate and bourbon. Like a Kentucky candy bar.

T - ¡¡¡¡¡¡ZZZOOOMMMGGG!!!!111 Liquid chocolate bars tempered with vanilla and bourbon. Rich, quality ingredients as well. Sweet zombie Jesus! So, so phenomenal with outstanding barrel notes, absurd amounts of silky chocolate. I really don't know how to put this into words. Its a silken chocolate gusher candy filled with bourbon and vanilla explosions. Unreal.

M - Mouthfeel is silk in my mouth. 19.5%...go F yourself! This can't be higher than 9%! I simply dont believe it, shanangins! Its thick and silky and almost coats the mouth. Its like a Geology field trip to Berkshire county all over again testing particle (grain) size on my tongue. Is this silt? Clay? No...its a colloid!!

O - This is a velour fog in my mouth covered in a velour bedspread, all of which is tucked into a too small velour uniform. Kif, inform the men!

4.51/5  rDev -0.7%

750mL bottle poured into a snifter
020912 Lot 30

Another huge thanks to Redbeeron for sending over this big time want in a trade!

A: Pours a quite thin appearing dark brown with lightening on the edges. An aggressive pour yields approximately 1/2 fingers width of light tan head which dissipates down almost immediately to a think outer ring. Leaves no appreciable lacing. Actually appears very similar to a cola.

S: Tons of bourbon and dark fruits. Cinnamon, caramel, vanilla bean ice cream, rich dark and milk chocolate, balancing booze, maybe even a hint of coconut. Jesus. Its so sweet and delicious smelling. Intoxicating. Incredible.

T: Huge sweetness up front, with a big caramel/toffee presence. Dark fruits, fig and cherry. Pretty boozy from the get go, but it has to be to balance out the huge sweetness. Cocoa is significant and hangs around for ages in the aftertaste. Taste is similar to dark chocolate covered cherries, soaked in booze. I also get burnt sugar, bourbon, raw oak, some roasted malt flavors and vanilla which makes itself known but is mild. Awesome palate profile here.

M/D: Smooth, slightly syrupy with an appropriately low carbonation. By no means thin, but could be thicker and chewier. Drinkability is actually very good, but this one is a slow sipper, thats for sure. And although this has a boozy component throughout, it does an incredible job of keeping the 19.5% ABV in check. Its the highest ABV beer I have had to date, and even with that ABV it is not necessarily even hot going down.

O: Overall, another big hit from the Bruery in my book. Its literally one of the best smelling beers I have ever had, and the taste is excellent (but not quite to the degree of the nose). Im very glad I was able to try this one, and will definitely seek it out again. As far as in comparison to Black Tuesday, I like CR more. Better aroma and greater balance in the flavor profile (less of the straight up diabetes-inducing sweetness bomb that BT is). I'd drink both any chance I got, but BT is great, and CR is excellent.

4.12/5  rDev -9.3%

Bottle shared by largadeer. Thanks, Beer Jesus. From notes.

A: Pours a pitch black with no edge translucence. Very viscous, leggy (nice!). It has a small mocha-colored head.

S: Rich, burnt caramel, chocolate, vanilla, molasses, raisins, bourbon. Some coffee, and of course, booze. As with many other Bruery beers, this is dessert in a bottle. Extremely rich.

T: The taste is rich, as well, but it's not cloying. It comes off as a liqueur; the heavy body delivers burnt caramel, bourbon-soaked raisins, molasses, vanilla, coffee. It's tannic in the finish, which probably helps it feel a little drier than it actually is.

M: I'm not sure who these people are that claim the beer isn't boozy. Of course it's boozy. But it's not quite as hot as I would expect (see some 120 Minute IPA for how to do it wrong). Even the sugar burn I typically get off Bruery beers is muted here. I don't know if that's from the oak suppressing it, but I'm impressed.

O: I like this beer more than Black Tuesday; but I liked the small handbottle of Cherry Chocolate Rain (from cask) even more. I hope that comes around again. I don't think this is really worth $35 or whatever the cost was, but it's a tasty beer.

4.32/5  rDev -4.8%

750mL bottle poured into a tulip. Huge thanks to Chris for sharing!

(A)- Pours pitch black with some surprising tan and brown bubbles/froth considering the massive ABV on this thing.

(S)- A very dense but rich burnt caramel and cocoa with vanilla oak. In the far background is a more pronounced rich dark chocolate component. Very nice.

(T)- Similar to the smell, only a far far greater rich and silky chocolate flavor amidst dense caramel and vanilla oakiness. Some heat as well at the end, but definitely not nearly as much as I was expecting on a near 20%ABV beer.

(M)- A mellow carbonation level, but it fits this well. Very strong and rich overall. I like the deep chocolate middle of this beer's flavor profile; that richness definitely helps mask the huge ABV.

(O)- Definitely a fun and successful spin on the regular Black Tuesday. To me it is a bit hotter, but still not as massively crazy going into it. Extremely rich though. I daresay I almost like the regular BT version over this actually.

3.7/5  rDev -18.5%

Reviewed from memory, had this 3 nights ago. Dark brown, not much foam. Subtle carbonation. The nose struck me initally as very estery, almost banana, with vanilla bourbon notes galore. The booziness seems limited at first, but keep on smelling and it starts to get heavy with alcohols. I was expecting lots of chocolate and more roasted malt character but those were not very evident at all.

The taste is much of the same, lots of vanilla character with more estery fruit. It's rich with bourbon, yet not overdone. The alcohol does not burn, and is well integrated in the flavor, but the warming is certainly felt throughout the body. It's a slow sipper but never gets to be too much, and a 4 to 5 ounce sample is a very nice amount to quaff.

Overall a nice beer, and drinkable enough for 19% ABV. It's certainly not worth the hype though, and considering many in the group I shared this with said it was better than Black Tuesday (which I've not tried), that doesn't bode well for Black Tuesday. Worth a try if you get the chance, but don't trade away your gold for it.

4.2/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from 2012 bomber into snifter glass. Poured dark brown with a mild mannered khaki head; the retention was light, with a non-existant lacing. The nose picked up some cocoa, vanilla, molasses, caramel, and paramount bourbon. The flavor profile was really impressive out of the gate. It wasn’t initially boozy, but it was very heavy on the cocoa nibs and vanilla. However, the booze hit quite hard in the back finish which pretty much dominated the rest of my drinking session. The malt profile was dominant throughout – more caramel, molasses, cocoa nibs, vanilla, dark fruits, biscuits, and some more booziness. Sticky mouthfeel with a thin to medium presence. Unfortunately, the booze took over the pleasant aromas and flavors which were much appreciated initially.

3.7/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750mL bottle courtesy of Shane! Thanks. Split 3 ways. Consumed 9-3, reviewed from notes.

A: Sludge and tar. Heavy pour yields a very thin mocha lacing which will quickly dissipate. Not as viscous in the glass as it first appears.

N: Tons of prune and bourbon. Fudge and soy sauce. The promised vanilla is plenty obvious, and there's a very good similarity to blackberry brandy.

T: Very much like a port heavily laden with chocolate and cherries. Snapping vanilla and rough dark chocolate similar to mocha powder. Prune and some more of the blackberry brandy. Huge alcohol presence. And oh yes, chocolate deserves another mention.

M: Drying and thick. The drying aspect is somewhat unique as its similar to the way baker's chocolate scrapes your mouth clean. Don't find this terribly successful.

O: Very glad to try this. Was very intense, but I feel like it could benefit from some more body and less chocolate. And this is coming from someone who's a bit of a choco-nut.

4.85/5  rDev +6.8%

This is martha stewarts double fudge brownies meets yoohoo spikes with pappys. unbeliveable when paired with some nice aged cheese and salami. had it right after a sour and it is one of those that your imediately mad you dont have another in the cooler or cellar. delivers a fudgy aftertaste that is not soon forgot. supreme stout

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

2012 bottle courtesy of Vincent at our crazy Antwerp tasting. Thanks everyone for an amazing night that will long have a special place in my heart and liver. Sampled next to a 2011 Black Tuesday, in a 50-50 blend of the two and even mixed with a lambic (which was dead gorgeous). Yeah, that's how crazy things got.

A: Pours a chestnut brown going into black. Very little head with awesome oily lacing that gets swept away by the alcohol. You can tell just by looking at it this is going to be one boozy beast.

S: Bourbon, vanilla and milk chocolate. No real bitter notes from dark chocolate, which I was expecting since this was matured on whole cocoa nibs. The differences with Black Tuesday are there, but they are very subtle at best. It seems the cocoa has mostly subdued the oaky notes from the barrel.

T: First things to hit the tongue are bourbon, vanilla, sweet Japanese soy sauce and creamy milk chocolate. Some woody notes, but very subtle if so. This is distinctly less sweet than the Black Tuesday, whereas I was expecting the complete opposite due to added vanilla during maturation. The cocoa nibs are sadly all but lost to me and that's a bit of a shame: the bitterness and slight acidity of a roasted cocoa bean would have cut through all that sweetness beautifully. Again, the booze is very present and borderline hot. It could do with some aging.

M: Soft carbonation that's only just enough to remind you that you're drinking a beer and not syrup. Very fitting for the style.

O: Though the maturation on cocoa nibs is sadly a bit lost to me, I preferred this over its base beer. Where the alcohol in Black Tuesday came out just a touch more aggressively because of the sweetness in it, the added maturation on this seems to have mellowed out some of that hotness. Since there are currently no Choccy Rains older than a year and a half and the first batch is very hard to get, this beer will take some time before it reaches its peak. When the time comes, I'll be sure to give it another shot.

4.81/5  rDev +5.9%

Notes from a tasting on 8/15. not sure who brought this one, but i can tell you that it was far and away the highlight of the tasting. i had a batch 2 recently (review still needs to be added), and i can tell you it is a different beer entirely from batch 1. batch 2 is not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but batch 1 is simply magic in a bottle.

Batch #1!!!

a - poured a watery black with no head at all, looks kind of sludgy, but has that darkness of the devil's soul.

s - a hint of rubbing alcohol with a salm in the face of amazing gourmet chocolate and the perfect dosage of vanilla glazed on top. some toasted coconut in the background to round out the nose. really just marvellous, my mouth is watering.

t - HOLY MOLY!!! Huge vanilla with rich decadent chocolate. Still pretty hot, but beautiful. everything is in it's right place. the vanilla is divine. not a vanilla bomb, but a dessert.

m - a bit hot, but silky smooth. for a beer this huge, it blows you away how great it drinks.

o - FAR superior to batch 2. FAR FAR FAR superior. this beer is unreal. the entire group was floored by it and i don't think one of us didn't peg this as the top beer of the evening (and it was in good company with rare, black note, pappy eclipse, and other big guns). we even gave some sips to a table of ladies next to us and they too were blown away that "a dark beer" could taste so good. when we told them the ABV, they thought we were lying.

4.12/5  rDev -9.3%

Decided to open this one with a few friends during our annual trip to Maine. Batch #2.

A- No carbonation at all really. Pour was slightly thin, similar to BT. Dark brown in color, not as dark as most stouts.

S- Right up front the chocolate hit me, followed by oak, bourbon, vanilla, dark fruit, toffee, and some burnt notes as well. There is a lot of alcohol on the nose as well. The aroma is extremely sweet, but I expected this.

T- A lot of the same notes in the aroma come through in the taste as well. Dark chocolate, bourbon, and vanilla are the main flavors that come out. The aftertaste is all dark chocolate. Chocolate Rain is definitely not as smooth as BT. There is a huge alcohol presence and although it doesn't taste like it's 19.5%, it's still very obvious that it's high. The taste is extremely sweet, maybe even more than BT.

M- Thinner, definitely not creamy at all. No carbonation.

O- This is good, but not great. It's on par with Black Tuesday if you enjoyed that, but it's different. I feel like both of them are constantly rated high because they're great for having such a high ABV, but that doesn't impress me. I'd rather drink a stout that's 12% and tastes better, but that's just me. There are some exceptionally complex flavors in this that made me happy that I tried it, but I wouldn't seek it out again. It's not very smooth at all and just too sweet for my taste.

4.42/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle shared at Woodshop 7 at Beachwood BBQ in Long Beach. Thanks to whoever busted this one out. Pours dark brown with a filmy tan head. Heavy sweet boozy and creamy throughout, chocolate liqueur and See’s caramels. Rich and luxurious, ultra-sweet but quite delicious.

4.82/5  rDev +6.2%

In the Beer 2000 (the rest of this voice should sound like Conan O'brien)... Oh man, never thought I would reach 1000 let alone 2000, holy crap! To do it, one of my long (about 1 year) sought after beers, Chocolate Rain, "Some stay dry and others feel the pain" (Tay Zonday eat your heart out). Shared with rudzud as our shared RS membership dictates.

As it pours, it looks a bit lighter than I expected as it's flowing slowly out of the bottle. A light fizzy head forms, darker colored I think although hard to tell, fades almost instantly, although typical for ridiculous abv beer, over a very dark beer, not quite pitch black, with hints of light sneaking through the edges, and I mean HINTS. It also wants to have legs, but is more like a layered sleen of beer slowly sliding down the sides of the glass instead of legs.

Nose is just pure chocolate! Awesomeness! Tons of chocolate right out, oh and vanilla!. A big cocoa nib profile wafts out of the glass, not too aggressive at first, but then shows me up quickly, with some cocoa nibs, melted milk chocolate, a bit of baker's and some heavy dark chocolate. The fresh soaked vanilla beans, tons of caramel and molasses to add to the richness. A bit of booze, but doesn't seem like 19% yet. It brings that aroma of a brick of almost pure dark chocolate, there's so much chocolate! so many exclamation points!. A hint of cinnamon leads to some brandy and bourbon soaked raisin, vanilla, some oak and bourbon. The vanilla really builds as it warms.

Taste, ooohhh man, knee buckling, luckily I peed before I sipped this. it just erupts with pure chocolate! It reminds me a lot of the huge brick of the super dark chocolate I used to get at Trader Joe's which I would shave slices off, and let them just melt over my tongue, and the result is almost exactly like this experience. Various layers of chocolate melting all over my mouth, bakers', dark, milk, cocoa nibs, etc, etc, and also etc. Then comes vanilla, with all the descriptors I did for chocolate, vanilla is just behind it (well mostly after it warms). Some toasty oak barrel, vanilla, pure vanilla bean and richness. Some bourbon comes through as well, not strong, but enough to let you know, with a light bourbon soaked raisin like flavor. It drinks like 9% not 19%, smooth and rich, and just a light bitterness. A touch of biscuit adds some malted milk ball flavor. Finish is super long, mouth coating, tons of vanilla, chocolate, dark choc, light bourbon, oak, booze, and just a touch of bitterness, linger for what seems like forever, and even burps up flavor of awesomeness hours later.

Mouth... holy shit, this has to be the best mouth feel I've ever had in a beer!!! it doesn't even seem like a beer, more like velvet, velour, essence of pour silk, and everything in between, all having sex with the hottest chic in the world in heaven, wrapped in melted dark chocolate, and served on a naked hot Japanese woman, ala sushi, etc. There really isn't a word to describe the mouth feel. If I could vote for higher than 5, this mouth would go to 11. It even tickles my gums on each subsequent sip, literally tickles!

Overall... gggmmmsssshhhgggguguuuaaahhhgggrrrlllggguuh.

4.13/5  rDev -9%

Batch 2 poured into a Cigar City snifter

Appearance ~ Deep Black/Brown with a small amount of Tan head.

Smell ~ BOURBON, Chocolate, BOURBON, vanilla, BOURBON and some nice almond notes. In case you didn't catch the bourbon, I thought my nose was going to catch on fire it smelled so strong.

Taste ~ This baby is hot, really hot. Chocolate and sugar are really nice, its a good sweet, and not too sweet. Only problem I have with the taste is the overwhelming booze. Great taste after you get past the alcohol.

Mouthfeel ~ Nice, still a little hot, but the aroma hangs around nicely.

Overall ~ This is a quality brew. I think if I have another, i'll hang on to it for a minimum of 3 years before I drink the next one so the hardcore booze calms down. CR is Black Tuesday with cocoa nibs. It's good, but I would have just saved the cocoa and put out more Black Tuesday, BT is much better at hiding the heat. BT is just much better period.

Thanks Tom for sharing Batch#2 and Merc for sharing Batch#1

The beer pours a deep black with no visible head. The nose is cloyingly sweet with a touch of chocolate and way too much booziness. The taste is just as sweet and the immensely overpowering alcohol makes this beer less than enjoyable. I literally feel my palate burning with each sip...and none of the beers rich, chocolaty body comes to my rescue. I assumed the beer would have a velvety smoothness that masked the alcohol, but this is not the case. (Batch #1 is significantly better with far less high octane ethanol and much more chocolaty smoothness). I just don't understand the hype...but I'd recommend getting a Batch#1 over a #2 in any case.

2013 batch shared side-by-side with mocha wednesday and BT
Pours a bit darker than Black Tuesday, very dark brown, some sediment, razor thin head around the perimeter. The nose had a potently aromatic vanilla, some deeper chocolate notes, prune as it warms, caramel sweetness, hints of alcohol. The taste has a big chocolatey sweetness and burning ethanol in the finish. The mouthfeel is sweet, but has a vanilla and chocolate presence that cuts through the ethanol (especially compared to Black Tuesday). It's not as thick and full bodied as expected, but the alcohol is well masked, even when it warms. This beer is noticeably better than the base, really drinkable considering the abv and heavy flavors

4.62/5  rDev +1.8%

750 ml bottle, 19.5% abv. Very dark brown, approaching black. No head to really speak of, but a very faint tan ring around the edge.

Big whiff of alcohol, even from across the room. Dark chocolate, bourbon and wood.

A bit of sweeter chocolate up front. Heavy notes of bourbon and wood. Perhaps a bit of vanilla comes through to round things out. Chocolate and booze linger on the palate for quite a long time.

A bit light in the body, with an almost oily feel. Alcohol is quite warming, but not overwhelming. Quite the experience.

4.61/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours brownish red. Thin looking and unimpressive for a stout of this stature.

Big fusle alcohol aromas almost burns my nose hairs. Thick chocolate, vanilla and toasty oak with a nice layer of bourbon. Some dark fruit lies underneath.

Just a killer tasting beer. Layers of sweet melted chocolate, fudge, vanilla bean, bourbon, dried fruits, burnt caramel, toasted oak, very light coffee. Date, black fig, quince and black licorice. Some cherry and currant as well.

Mouth isn't big and thick but oily and slick with alcohol. But fits the beer well and doesn't interfere.

Mmmmm!

4.13/5  rDev -9%

Had 2 bottles. Finally just couldn't wait anymore and had to crack one open. Pours dark black, with zero head, zero bubbles at all. The smell is way too hot. Loads of alcohol, as well as chocolate, roasts, vanilla, and a bit of bourbon. Taste is sweet from the vanilla. Not as much chocolate flavor as Black Tuesday, and also extremely hot. Just too much booze. However, once you get pass the booziness, it is blended nicely. Mellow chocolate, sweet vanilla, and balanced bourbon make the flavor have a lot to look forward to. Mouthfeel, once again, just overrun with booziness. Full, and creamy, but the booze is just too much. Overall, I gave this a 4.5 based on how I think this will develop. I'm going to wait at least 2 years to open my 2nd bottle, and I think this will be amazing once the booziness fades. At the moment, I prefer Black Tuesday over Chocolate Rain, but that could change with some age.

Shared this bottle with the girlfriend and some friends at Eureka! Burger last night. Pours a thick black color with little to no head. Some tiny brown bubbles. Scent is very sweet and boozy. The booze is very up front in the nose, which quickly switches to sweet chocolate and vanilla. Subtle sweet bourbon aroma with more intensified vanilla. Taste is not nearly as boozy as the nose made it seem. Very sweet though. Intense sweet chocolate and vanilla flavors...like literally eating some rich chocolate cake. I feel like there could have been more barrel flavor to this beer...and possibly a little overly sweet. Mouthfeel is full bodied and syrupy. Drinkability is fair, as long as you are sharing it with a good amount of people. Overall, I enjoyed Black Tuesday a bit more. This is a well-crafted beer that most breweries could not pull off (a 19.5 ABV stout that is drinkable!)...just good in small doses. Glad I tried it. I have one more bottle and need to decide whether to age it longer or trade it.

2.94/5  rDev -35.2%

Poured into a snifter, about 6-7 oz. 2011 vintage (Batch 2).

3.0 A: Deep brown/black color. Head fell just about as soon as it was made.

4.0 S: Surprisingly, the booze is fairly well hidden, in the the nose at least. Big roastiness, lots of sweetness, but reasonable. Chocolate, vanilla, molasses, and leathery bourbon. Coffee underneath. It's intense, but it doesn't have much of the subtlety or complexity that I like to discover in the style.

2.5 T: Big roast, lots of chocolate, caramel, and molasses. Vanilla with oak underneath. Big leathery bourbon. Uncontrolled sweetness and booze, but not quite as bad as BT '11 was.

3.0 M: Heavy body. Good moderate carbonation. Too thick and chewy though otherwise okay.

2.5 D: This is undoubtably tough to drink and no one in my 'burgh tasting group cared for it.

4.04/5  rDev -11%

750 mL bottle poured into a taster. Batch 2. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Dark brown, not quite black. Ruby flecks in the light. Mocha head that's gone pretty quickly.

Smell - Chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, and oak. Nice, until the booze. Wow is it boozy.

Taste - Sugar. Sugar again. Bourbon. Chocolate, then sugar and sugar again. Alcohol rounds it out, I guess. I get the chocolate, but there's no other evidence of a stout in there. Still, it tastes pretty damn good.

Mouthfeel - Sugary sweet. Diabetes in a bottle. 3 or 4 oz. is the most I could drink of this. Excruciatingly boozy.

Overall - It's so over the top. Better than BT, but only because of the chocolate flavor. There's barely a stout back there behind the barrel and chocolate.

4.51/5  rDev -0.7%

Do I even need to bother describing the appearance? Pitch black with a very minimal cream head.

This thing reeks of booze and vanilla bean, with chocolate back behind it -- I love it! Taste is the same. Actually reminds me a good bit of World Wide Stout. Big chocolate, licorice, vanilla, "bourbon" (and all that entails) and booze. I keep saying "booze" -- but don't let that fool you. Also, there's some roast on the palate, which I'm extremely sensitive too -- but it's minimal and quickly overwhelmed by the rest of the beer. This is imminently drinkable and smooth, with a nice warming burn as it goes down. Mouthfeel is syrupy, but not overly thick.

I love it, but I think I loved Black Tuesday even more. And quite frankly, I feel like World Wide Stout scratches the same itch pretty well...and WWS is way more readily available.

3.31/5  rDev -27.1%

750ml bottle split a few ways

A: Very light for an imperial stout with minimal head. Not very good, but I guess it could be worse.

S: Tons of milk chocolate and vanilla sweetness with caramel and bourbon and tons of booze.

T: Very strong milk chocolate and vanilla again. Booze is a bit overpowering, but doesn't make the beer undrinkable. Bourbon is again strong, but a bit in the background. Very sweet and not very refined or complex.

M: Fairly thick mouthfeel with low carbonation. A bit too low on the carb.

O: This is a sweet boozy unrefined milk chocolate bomb. It's certainly not bad, but it's certainly not world class.

Chocolate Rain from The Bruery