1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chocolate Rain - The Bruery

Chocolate RainChocolate Rain

The Bruery visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  19.50% ABV

Black Tuesday with Vanilla Bean & Cocoa Nibs.

2011: 18.5% ABV
2012: 19.5% ABV
2013: 18.0% ABV

(Beer added by: mikedashg on 10-28-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
Ratings: 1,284 | Reviews: 235 | Show All Ratings:
azagthoth

I shared this divine 4 oz cask pour inside a Bruery tulip glass with fellow advocate and Bruery loyalist tedbyrnes at the Black Tuesday release.

Appearance - Rather nubilous and subtle in appearance without even a modicum of a head being represented. Truly, this was a display of velvet in a glass.

Smell - An insistent companionship of milk chocolate and syrupy vanilla accompanied by the tenacity of bourbon. A second whiff might suggest you order a luscious cut of your favorite chocolate cake to chaperon such a gratifying experience.

Taste - Nothing like I have ever experienced and incomparable to any beer out there. There are distinctive types of identities in the taste that I can't put into words, rendering me ineffectual to pinpoint specifics. I could assert, however, that this is what a Vanilla Bean Chocolate wine would taste like (if such a thing exists, or were to). This is just so unique and something one must personally experience to comprehend what I am getting at here.

Mouthfeel - Like wine, compensated with drops of syrup to refine the finish. The absence of carbonation was clearly not a factor in the mouthfeel.

Drinkability - I could moderately sip on 8-12 ounces of Chocolate Rain all night, as this beer should elevate it's qualities at higher temperatures. The 19.5% ABV is nearly indiscernible, respectively, thus permitting the drinkability at a whole new level.

10-29-2009 15:50:53 | More by azagthoth
portia99

4.93/5  rDev +9.1%

4oz pour into a Bruery tulip on tap at the Bruery for the Black Tuesday release.

A - Pours an opaque black with dark brown highlights around the edges when held to a light. No head at all. Pours very thick and syrupy, totally coats the glass wherever it touches.

S - Lots of milk chocolate, sweet vanilla, coconut and bourbon. Very sweet aromas, smells very smooth. Not much of an alcohol smell to this one...hard to tell its almost 20%

T - Taste largely mirrors the aromas. Creamy, milky chocolate dominates. Vanilla presence is quite prominant too and blends well with the chocolate creating a very smooth and creamy flavor. Hints of bourbon too. Again, not much alcohol presence detected, surprisingly.

M - Thick and syrupy. Absolutely still, no carbonation. This beer completely coats the mouth in flavor. Amazingly low perception of alcohol in this - this really goes down easily. Couldn't believe how smooth this is.

D - For a 19.5% beer, this is incredibly drinkable, dangerously so...very low presence of alcohol in the flavor (the other beers on tap had way more alcohol presence - Autumn Maple, for one). Should be a slow sipper, but tastes so good, it is hard to drink this slow. This makes a perfect desert beer all by itself.

10-29-2009 11:42:31 | More by portia99
Kaiser81

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this at the Black Tuesday release at the Bruery.

A - Pours with zero head. Looks like melted fudge, with the viscosity of a thick, jet black motor oil. There is no carbonation or bubbles.

S - A little bit like heaven. Milk chocolaty goodness dominates with very subtle hints of vanilla. Bourbon and caramelized and/or brown sugar is mixed in for a very balanced aroma.

T - What you smell is what you get. Chocolate hit my palate immediately, with the bourbon coming on next, followed by the hints of vanilla, roasted malts, more bourbon. There was a lasting finish on the chocolate that just lingered and stayed there for a while. For being an 18-19% beer, there is no "bite" from the alcohol. So f'n smooth... And at one point, it did weaken my knees as I was standing there sipping it.

M - Thick, and a little chewy with absolutely no carbonation and a very creamy texture. I know it's barrel aged, and it's out of a cask, but something is lost, to me, with no bubbles.

D - One sip can last a few minutes with all of the lingering notes in there. I don't think it's as drinkable as it's counterpart, Black Tuesday. I wouldn't want to have more than 8-10 oz of this at a time. It's a perfect dessert beer that'll cap your night off with a big smile. But I think it also loses something with 0 carbonation.

10-29-2009 01:53:40 | More by Kaiser81
womencantsail

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

It might have been the almost 4 hours in line that made this beer so good, but it deserves my (and others') praise anyway. Oh, and this beer deserves bonus points for the name.

A: Chocolate Rain is a devilish jet black elixir which comes from a cask perched atop the Bruery bar. It has no carbonation or head, nor does it need one.

S: Hotdamn! Now, this baby has a nose on it. I nearly experienced a failure of the nasal cavity from all the bourbon, chocolate, coffee, vanilla, brown sugar, roasted malt, and alcohol in this beer.

T: This picks up right where the nose leaves off. Absolutely facemelting flavors of vanilla, chocolate, bourbon, and roasted malt. A bit of booze comes though, but what else would you really expect?

M: As previously mentioned, the beer was served still--cask style. I think a bit of carbonation could have helped here, but I still found it to be very, very enjoyable. It did allow for a certain sensual experience that we don't often get the pleasure of enjoying.

D: As I mentioned in the taste portion of the review, the alcohol component is quite prevalent on the palate, and nobody should be surprised by this at nearly 20% ABV. But, it does detract from the drinkability, despite the awesome flavors and aromas. An amazing concoction.

10-28-2009 07:19:21 | More by womencantsail
nomomentwasted

Oregon

Wow. Wow wow wow.

All I can say after every sip was simply "wow."

This beer was incredible. Changed my whole perspective on what is possible with a beer. Overlord said it well when paired with ice cream, you'd make millions. Seriously, this is a beer of epic proportions, and one I'd trade two Black Tuesdays to have one bottle of this.

Appearance: Brown-black and flat as can be. I know it's cask and that's how it's supposed to be, but still thick and creamy as can be. No head whatsoever, but of little concern here.

Smell: Sweet Jesus. Bourbon, vanilla, milk chocolate, almost cookie-like sweetness on the back end, and just the slightest soy sauce, but not in a bad way. Probably from the bourbon. The senses have you brace for some huge bourbon notes, that's for sure.

Taste: Like a slap to the face and the only thing I can think of to compare it to is what it was like the first time I had a sour. My senses were so fooled. Bourbon is so, so mellow and accents the flavor perfectly, not too dominant in the least. Heavy vanilla and chocolate hit 1-2 punches like a dream. Finishes sweet and creamy, and all I can muster is a "wow."

Mouthfeel: The best beer I've ever had as far as creamy texture goes. Almost syrupy it's so silky. Oh my God I get shivers just thinking about how much I loved this beer. Carbonation might change this beer just a tad in both the good and bad direction, but it's of little matter here. Like drinking a liquid dream.

Drinkability: I have never had a beer like this. Never. A thing of beauty, a work of art, and a beast through and through. Would I want 22oz of it? Yes, yes I would. Just maybe not all at once. But at almost 20%, 22oz is like 11oz of Vodka.

Bravo. What a beer. My heart breaks a little every time I've thought of the fact that I may never have this beer again. Makes me want to buy cocoa nibs and vanilla beans and try and make my own out of my Black Tuesday. It's THAT good.

10-28-2009 06:52:31 | More by nomomentwasted
srroos

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

First beer enjoyed at the Black Tuesday release. A welcome treat after that long wait.

Enjoyed in a Bruery snifter provided as part of the tasting. Poured from the cask on the bar. Opaque black without any sort of head or lacing. The smell is flat out incredible: vanilla, bourbon, and chocolate. Taste is mainly sweet vanilla up front, with a bourbon chocolate finish. Mouthfeel is full bodied, but super sweet and heavy due to the fact that this beer is totally flat from the cask. Too much to drink in any volume and despite the fact that it was the first beer of the night it was very hard to finish.

Amazing, but a brutal monster of a beer that really needs some carbonation. Fortunately, regular Black Tuesday is carbonated and much better because of it.

10-28-2009 06:39:22 | More by srroos
Mauerhan

4.97/5  rDev +10%

so I like the dumb ass that I am show up at 4:25 to get in line for black tuesday... 3 hours and 200 places in line later I get into the bruery make a sprint to the bar and enjoy an 8 oz pour of this magic.

pours darker than anything I have ever had. pitch black wouldn't do this justice. zero carbonation. sticks to the sides of the glass like a needy girlfriend leaving thick sheets of residue that are darker than most imperial stouts

smell makes me want to cry. the smell alone was worth at least half the time spent in that god awful cluster fuck of a line. I am hit instantly with rich milk chocolate, notes of toffee and vanilla dance around with the rich smell of bourbon. I am left in awe.

taste is literally to die for. everything that is present in the smell comes out in spades in the taste. a lot more toffee evident in the taste than from the smell. huge amounts of chocolate. this beer tastes like if bourbon county stout and southern tier choklat had a baby. and then that beer went to an ivy league beer school and graduated valedictorian of its class...

mouth is smooth and creamy. rich and viscous. thick and satisfying. this beer is 19.5? It drinks like its an 8. truly an abv ninja hiding out in the bottle waiting to attack your blood stream.

hands down one of the BEST beers I have ever had the chance to drink. I read a while back that someone compared vanilla bean dark lord to "gods cum" well if thats the case then this is what god was drinking for a few weeks before releasing the vbdl. well worth the hype. in fact I dont believe this beer is getting enough hype. GREAT JOB BRUERY CREW!

10-28-2009 04:46:42 | More by Mauerhan
OlieIPA

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

After waiting in line for about 4 hours with my good buddy Kris...I was able to enjoy an 8 oz. pour of this much anticipated beer.

A: Black and thick...really couldn't get any bolder in both categories. The only disappointment was the lack of head and lacing, which was probably due to the cask serving, but I'll give this beer the benefit of the doubt.

S: Incredibly robust dark and milk chocolate upfront followed by assortment flavors including vanilla bean (similar to that you find in Dreyer's Vanilla Bean ice cream), some dark fruits, and tons of brown sugar. Extremely complex and robust...and would say improves the aroma of the original BT.

T: Immediate brown and white sugar sweetness upfront that I'm not sure is incredible or too much followed by hints of chocolate, molasses, wood, and dark fruit. I would put this in my top 5 in terms of flavor and a definite enhancement on the original BT. Would probably give this a 5.5 if I could! The only knock is the strong alcohol finish and aspartame (not sure if that is spelled right...Victor please correct me) flavor afterwards.

M: Full body with basically no carbonation. Again, I attribute this to the cask...and in my opinion, was served too cold for this style.

D: Overall, I like the aroma and flavor immensely...but I found myself having trouble finishing my glass. Mixed emotions about this brew, but still epic in my opinion.

Overall: I think I prefer regular BT over this, but this is a close second. A must try. Cheers!

10-28-2009 04:39:12 | More by OlieIPA
Overlord

4.88/5  rDev +8%

Enjoyed at the Black Tuesday release day. Glad I got there early, as the line looked ridiculous. Had 8 oz. of this.

Pours a black sludge. Looks like some form of motor oil. No head, insanely viscous. Sits there lurking with no motion, like a turbid bog.

Smells. In. sane. Huge bourbon-y vanilla (like, three different types of vanilla), sweet milk chocolate, and supple brown sugared malt assault your nose. Wow. Epic.

Taste is a liquid dessert. Blend this with ice cream, you'd make millions. Dappled vanilla, brown sugar, tons tons tons of sweet milk chocolate, a hint of roasted malt, and a layered bourbon overtone with a hint of roasted chocolate malt melts on your tongue. Amazing flavor.

Just like Black Tuesday, insanely drinkable for the ABV. Now, it's not getting as high of a score from me, as I like to be consistent in my preference for beers with some level of carbonation. While the thick mouthfeel is pleasant enough, I must admit that the pancake flat cask effect could have been enlivened by some bubbles.

10-28-2009 03:37:25 | More by Overlord
mikedashg

4.93/5  rDev +9.1%

Ha! FIRST! Beat you Overlord and HopHead84 to the review. What happened to no lineups before 4:30pm? I got there just before 4:25, and I was already in spot 130+. I waited in line for 3 hours outside to the Bruery, but it was worth it for this.

Had about 6oz of this at the first annual Black Tuesday release in Placentia, CA into my Bruery Snifter on 10/27/09. Black Tuesday on cask with Vanilla Beans & Cocoa Nibs.

A- Pitch black used motor oil with little to no head.

S - The Bourbon vanilla and chocolate hit you right away. It's got an amazing nose. Very apparent. Hints of molasses.

T - Similar to nose. Vanilla, and super rich chocolate, bourbon, molasses, raisins, sherry. Every flavor REALLY comes out though. It really hits you. You don't have to search for the chocolate or the vanilla. It's there up front and in your face. But so is the bourbon. But nothing is overpowering, not even the bourbon. Very balanced.

M - Clean and smooth. But really viscous, velvety, silky and creamy all at the same time. This is probably the BEST mouthfeel on any beer I've ever had, and it had little to no carbonation. The creamy/velvetyness was insane. I drank a Black Tuesday after this one, and I could still taste the chocolate on my tongue.

D - Scary scary drinkable. The ABV of this one really isn't apparent. It's for sure a sipper, not something you'd want to quaff. The lack of head or carbonation really didn't detract too much from the beer. Which is weird. It's more like a fine smooth liqueur. You'd really want to sit down and enjoy this one slowly, because it is SO good. Not because it's hot, but the flavors are so powerful and beautiful. I've had a lot of chocolate/coffee/vanilla/bourbon/etc/stouts, but this one takes the cake and makes the rest of them seam like PBR.

I preferred this over Black Tuesday. I heard some people say the opposite though. Black Tuesday was really really good, but this was even better for me. The chocolate and vanilla and on cask really took BT to a new heights. Wish they would bottle CR! I found myself struggling to actually order black tuesday over chocolate rain. But I did it anyway, and then got some more chocolate rain taste from a friend.

10-28-2009 02:28:08 | More by mikedashg