Chocolate Rain - The Bruery

Wants: 2,516
The Bruery visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.50% ABV

Beer added by: mikedashg on 10-28-2009

Black Tuesday with Vanilla Bean & Cocoa Nibs.

2011: 18.5% ABV
2012: 19.5% ABV
2013: 18.0% ABV
2014: 18.5% ABV
Reviews: 303 | Hads: 2,342
4.71/5  rDev +6.6%

750 ml bottle, courtesy of smarcoly. Vintage 2012 served into a Bruery tulip glass. Enjoyed with two friends for a video review. Thank you for the hook-up, Scott!

A: Dark brown on the pour and even so sitting in the glass. There's a blackness to the beer though it's not jet black like other Imperial Stouts. No head at all, only a thin tiny bubble ring around the edges.

S: Chocolate liqueur, milk chocolate chips, fresh split vanilla beans, roasted malts and a touch of coffee. Throughout there's a noticeable generic alcohol smell but it actually works nicely with the aromas instead of sidetracking them.

T: Huge milk chocolate, it tastes like I'm chewing on gooey chocolate chips. Touches of bourbon play throughout the palate, with hints of vanilla beans and dark roasted malts in the background. This is such a big, rich and sweet beer but it's not disconnected or overdone at all. Really amazing stuff right here, beautiful beer.

M: Not too thick but full-bodied. Almost chewy in a sense from the chocolate but not from the actual mouth feel itself. A bit hot from the alcohol and a little sticky.

Simply put, this beer was incredible. It delivered on so many different levels and took Black Tuesday which is an amazing beer on its own to the next level. The fresh chocolate and vanilla flavors were incredible additions. Absolutely one beer everyone must try. Amazing stuff right here!

4.17/5  rDev -5.7%

750ml poured into a matching Bruery snifter. The brew streams a dark brown that settles in the glass more toward black. An initial 3/4 finger of tan froth dissolves to a fine ring around the edge of the glass. Some spotting of lace sticks to the glass that is minimal. There is a greater amount of alcohol legs that sticks to the glass than lace. A swirl agitates bubbles from solution that again creates a quick dissolving film. When held to the light, the brew looks more of a clouded brown with some yellowish/orange highlights around the edges.

The aroma is fairly strong with notes of cocoa and vanilla. These 2 characteristics are also present in the base beer but it is really exaggerated here in Chocolate Rain. The overall nose is quite sweet smelling and inviting with character that is reminiscent of brownie batter. As the brew warms up, the alcohol starts to come through with some solvent burning to the nostrils and a faint amount of dark fruity character.

The taste is sticky and sweet with an immediate rush of chocolate and strong vanilla flavoring. There is no hiding that 19.5% abv though. It comes surging out with bold fusels and a solvent kick that strips the sweetness from the inside of the mouth and burns all the way down the gullet. There is a bit of bitterness here towards the back that seems like unsweetened chocolate and a bit of fruity hop accent. Black licorice is evident in the aftertaste.

This is a full bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is thick and chewy yet a smooth sipper. This is an impressively bold brew with a shocking amount of cocoa and vanilla inclusion (moreso than I expected.) As far as drinkability goes, this one is a brute and is not something to be drank glass after glass of. It is rich and inviting and something I would like to be able to take in small samples on multiple occasions, not try and tackle an entire 750ml of. Fans of Black Tuesday will love this but in my opinion this is really hot right now. I wish I would have waited a year or more to open this.

4.67/5  rDev +5.7%

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt! Long time want for me.

The beer is dark brown with a thin, beige head. The aroma brings roast, booze, chocolate, vanilla. Smells great. The flavor takes it up a notch. A huge dose of vanilla, followed by chocolate, oak, and light roast with a warming alcoholic finish. Just superb. A beer to savor. Highly recommended.

4.03/5  rDev -8.8%

Thanks to Siege06nd for breaking out a bottle of this the other night. 2012 vintage poured from a 750ml bottle. It poured dark brown in color with a spotty tan lacing scattered across the top. It appeared a little lighter in color and more still then I would have liked.

In the aroma the vanilla immediately stands out to me, but the chocolate isn't far behind. I get a little roasted malts to it, but the sweeter chocolate and vanilla steal the show. It's got a bit of a nice dark fruit presence as well. The bourbon was a little more reserved, but did come out more as it warmed. It's definitely sweet and boozy, but the aroma was good enough to overcome that for the most part.

Lots of chocolate and cocoa come out in the taste. The vanilla really starts to shine more towards the finish. I get a little bit of a roasted malt presence, helping it from becoming too over the top sweet. The bourbon is in the finish as well, but adds more of a boozy, alcohol heat and doesn't really compliment or integrate into the beer flavors all that well.

The mouthfeel is a little oily with low carbonation. The mouthfeel is a little thin for the style, but I like the low carbonation. Overall, very good but short of great. It's very rich, with some great flavors but the boozy alcohol heat hurts it for me. The bourbon barrel flavors just doesn't seem as complimenting, integrated and smooth as they could have been.

4.7/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to bman1113vr for sharing this bottle. Not sure I was going to get to try this beer.

The beer pours a dark brown to black color with no real head. There are a few dark brown bubbles. A very nice looking stout.

The aroma is awesome. I get a lot of chocolate, bourbon and oak notes, as well as vanilla and maple from the barrel aging. The mix of bourbon and chocolate in the aroma works perfectly. The beer smells about like I expected it to and it is very nice.

The flavor is more of the same and is also great. I get a lot of boozy chocolate as well as a lot of bourbon, oak, vanilla and maple. Even though the beer is pretty boozy, it is still very easy to drink. The barrel aging has done great things to the base stout, imparting several different flavors that all meld very well together.

Low carbonation and thick, creamy mouthfeel.

Very glad I got to try this one and hope I get to try it again.

4.04/5  rDev -8.6%

750 mL bottle poured into a taster. Batch 2. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Dark brown, not quite black. Ruby flecks in the light. Mocha head that's gone pretty quickly.

Smell - Chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, and oak. Nice, until the booze. Wow is it boozy.

Taste - Sugar. Sugar again. Bourbon. Chocolate, then sugar and sugar again. Alcohol rounds it out, I guess. I get the chocolate, but there's no other evidence of a stout in there. Still, it tastes pretty damn good.

Mouthfeel - Sugary sweet. Diabetes in a bottle. 3 or 4 oz. is the most I could drink of this. Excruciatingly boozy.

Overall - It's so over the top. Better than BT, but only because of the chocolate flavor. There's barely a stout back there behind the barrel and chocolate.

2.36/5  rDev -46.6%

At 18.5% abv this beast can sneak up on you. A nice looking beer, pouring dark with ruby highlights. Goes downhill from there.

For a beer called 'Chocolate Rain' there's a crap-ton of vanilla in it. The nose is sweet and vanilla. Other things exist, but they are pounded mercilessly by Mr. V.

And the taste is vanilla. Sweet and dull. That flavor just pops out and kills enjoyment of other flavors, like cocoa (little) and caramel (very little). Drain pour here.

Could pair well with ice cream, or something else too sweet...like cotton candy.

4.39/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Shared tonight with several friends.
Pours an inky black without much of a head that musters but dissipates quickly. The aroma from this glass is heavenly. Deep rich caramel and chocolate with hints of brownie batter, roast, vanilla and a fair amount of alcohol. You can tell this is high in abv from the aroma, but it never seems harsh. The flavor follows the aroma but the alcohol is a bit more evident but it really never harsh. Rich chocolate, vanilla, roast, caramel, and molasses flavors melded into a high abv sipper. This would be an excellent brew to sip with a few friends on a cold night with some cigars or brownies. Thick body with a light level of carbonation and a sweet almost syrupy mouthfeel. I/we enjoyed the hell out of this beer tonight, too bad I may never see another bottle of this!

4.07/5  rDev -7.9%

Finally, a year late, I got to have this on cask,

A: Pours a dark brown with a mild cask head. Some lace, very nice colour.

S: Lots of chocolate, bourbon, the cacao really comes out and differentiates it from BT. A soothing but complex smell.

T: Direct bitter cacao nib flavours. Sweet residual sugar throughout with a hint of acidity in the finish.

M: Full-bodied, but thins out a bit with the acidity towards the end. A big beer though for sure.

D: A very nice stout. I was a bit underwhelmed as I missed it last year and have been waiting for this moment. Not as good as regular Black Tuesday for me, but in the whole scheme of things it is well made in its style.

4.42/5  rDev 0%

Poured a very dark brown with maroon brown highlights when held up to the light that had a half finger of brown head and left some good frothy lacing sticking to the glass. Very nice bourbon vanilla and chocolate aromas pop out on the nose with cocoa, caramel, and toffee notes but with some booziness as well. The taste was also very chocolatey like the name says with bourbon, vanilla, and cocoa accents roasty character but did have a touch of caramel toffee plus there was definitely lots of booze but it didn't overpower the overall flavor. The brew was medium in body with a nice amount of carbonation which had a roasty, chocolatey, bourbon, sweet, creamy, and chewy finish. Definitely an amazing tasting black Tuesday hybrid that will knock everyone socks off. I'm glad I got to try it and was a sipper faux show.

4.89/5  rDev +10.6%

I stumbled toward the entrance of The Bruery with bleary eyes and a grim countenance from the wanton ash billowing off the post apocalyptic 57 freeway. It had been a good hour since Overlord's pre preline Black Tuesday SUV tasting and the craft beer tremors were beginning to set in. "I'm thirsty, is all," I told myself, "I just need a few ounces of craft beer to tide me over. A few ounces will do the job." I knew that was only a half lie as I thought it. The only thing that could quench my perishing thirst was one specific beer, a pull from the cask of eternal life.

When I transcended the vestibule I walked briskly to the bar and forced a pained smile. I managed to choke out, "One refreshing glass of craft brew, please" before the woman noticed my involuntary convulsions. I knew what she'd say. She'd say exactly what they all say.

"Alcoholism is an inaccurate term," I responded preemptively. "It's just that I've got a tremendous thirst on all of a sudden, and I could use a draught of your delicious Chocolate Rain." At that moment I realized my face and freshly tailored shirt were covered in Barrel Aged Partridge in a Pear Tree from the tasting. I was just a bit too eager to drink that craft beer, it's not indicative of any sort of problem. She had noticed it too. "Look, I've had a bit of a rough journey here. As you can see, I slipped and fell in what is obviously mud just outside the façade and I could really use a glass of craft beer right now."
She hesitated briefly and then poured the elixir into a snifter and set it on the counter before me. I placed a solitary red ticket next to the glass to complete the exchange, and she picked it up with a look of indignation. I gave her another pained smile-half leer as I picked up my glass and said," Well, thank you for your hospitality, I'll be withdrawing to..." I was plagued by another involuntary convulsion and before I could finish my sentence, the glass had managed to find its way out of my hand and onto the floor. "You haven't properly dried your glassware," I cried, red-faced, "How is a craft beer connoisseur to enjoy a refreshing beverage if it slips out of his hand at the slightest turn?"

At that point a full on craft brew frenzy had taken hold of me. Nothing could stand between me and my craft brew as I grabbed one of the nearest champagne bottles that happened to be filled with Barrel Aged Autumn Maple and ripped the cap off with my teeth. I signaled, wild eyed, for a fresh glass, but was only met with a look of horror from the woman. "It doesn't matter," I cried "I've already reviewed this particular beer! I needn't adhere to my normal stringent reviewing standards in this instance!" I fell to my knees upon shards of broken glass and a pool of Chocolate Rain and proceeded to dump craft beer into my mouth faster than I could imbibe it. The mud (Barrel Aged Partridge) on my French cuffs was now joined by Barrel Aged Autumn Maple and my tears of joy. I greedily drained the entire bottle in a matter of minutes and the tremors finally subsided. "You see what I've been driven to? I only wanted a crisp glass of refreshing beer! What could possibly be the harm in that?!" At this point a small crowd had begun to gather around the ghastly scene. "Stop looking at me like I'm some sort of alcoholic! We're all of a like mind here. I'm just so terribly thirsty" I wailed, rising from my blood soaked knees. "Please, someone administer a dram of Chocolate Rain and hand me my notepad."

12 ounces consumed on 10/27/2009 in a snifter juxtaposed alongside Black Tuesday. The beer pours dead black and deader still, lost to some indifferent sun. A miniscule dark brown head pleads for clemency as it retreats into nothingness and night, into a blackness without depth or dimension. A swirl of the glass reveals the same legs I witness on Black Tuesday. It's a nice looking beer, grim and terrible in its ebony viscosity. Though, without carbonation it cannot fully reach the beauty of Black Tuesday.

The nose is brown sugar, dark cherries, grapes, plums, black licorice, anise, cocoa and bourbon. Strong vanilla notes radiate from the beer like light from a sun. The beer is sweet, with prominent dark chocolate and brown sugar.

The beer has lost balance and become more of a desert beer, but I can't argue with the final product. Alcohol is well hidden. I notice oak, barrel tannins, toffee, plums, dark cherries, and grapes. The sweetness reminds me of brown sugar. Blackstrap molasses is well integrated, and I again detect subtle black licorice notes. The finish is a satisfying recapitulation of all the aforementioned flavors with lingering notes of bourbon, vanilla, and dark chocolate. Full bodied with a silky, sticky, and viscous mouthfeel. The carbonation is low but fitting. This beer is decadent and delicious.

4.77/5  rDev +7.9%

2012 vintage. A huge thanks to my Reserve Society trustee Brewtifulmind for getting this bottle to me. Thanks Chad! Poured in to Bruery tulip.

A - Poured very dark brown and looked unexpectedly thin during the pour. Settled black with next to no head.

S - Big bourbon and vanilla notes up front with oak, cocoa nibs and a big sweetness. Very robust and inviting nose.

T - A big hit of bourbon up front with loads of sweet vanilla and oak. There is also intense cocoa and lighter licorice and roast flavours present. The vanilla really takes centre stage here with the added vanilla beans accentuating the natural vanilla from the barrels. There is a fairly big alcohol presence, but considering the 19.5% ABV, it isn't harsh at all. In fact, the ABV is just enough to balance out the sweet vanilla and cocoa. Very decadent.

M - Medium body with some viscosity at times. Light carbonation.

O - A truly decadent beer. I haven't had an imperial stout over 14% ABV that was as drinkable as this one. Remarkable.

4.54/5  rDev +2.7%

A- Dark brown body with brown highlights around the edges collar left.

S- Vanilla pops out immediately. Sweet, minty smelling. World class aroma.

T- I'd say vanilla in the forefront, not an aggressive vanilla though...very mellow. Bourbon heat mellow as well.

M- Low end of carbonation. Chewy thick mouthfeel.

D/O- Coco Rain, a real pleasure to sip. only BCBVS competes on the vanilla scale. Thanks 4DAloveofSTOUT!

4.67/5  rDev +5.7%

Sampled at the epic finewinemike event.

This beer is a chocolate lover's wet dream.

The beer pours a blackish brown color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose, there is just a huge aroma of chocolate that overwhelms pretty much everything else. I get some light vanilla and coffee as well, but the chocolate aroma (dark chocolate and milk chocolate) is intense, drowning out pretty much anything else. Much to my surprise, if anything the flavor profile is even more stunning, providing an absolute chocolate tour de force. This beer blows Southern Tier's Chokolat completely out of the water. This beer is rich and very sweet, though there's a hint of bitterness in the finish that buoys the sweetness just a bit. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, with a long, sweet, milk and dark chocolate finish. There's a bit of heat in the finish from the high level of alcohol in this beer, but I really didn't think it detracted much from the flavor profile.

Very, very impressive....

4.2/5  rDev -5%

A - Cola body with ruby highlights. Light tan pours a quarter finger high and settles quickly into a loose halo with no lace.

S - Thick, dark chocolate liquor, pumpernickel, dark chocolate truffle, caramelized barley, and warm bourbon.

T - Wow. Creamy thick dark chocolate. Kahlua liquor, dark chocolate covered salted pretzel, warm oaky bourbon, vanilla, caramel, and raisins.

M - Medium-light body, but outstandingly creamy and silky smooth.

O - The chocolate character is incredible. A perfect beer for a fat snifter on a cold winter day.

4.27 Chocolate Rain
-- -Jay- -Jon- -Ath- -Vin- -Pt- -Grg- -Avg- Weight Adj
A - 4.00 3.50 3.60 3.25 3.75 4.00 3.68 10% 0.37
S - 4.10 4.15 4.00 4.50 4.33 4.50 4.26 20% 0.85
T - 4.50 4.00 4.25 4.80 4.24 4.50 4.38 40% 1.75
M - 4.50 4.25 3.60 4.50 4.50 4.25 4.27 10% 0.43
O - 4.70 3.80 4.40 4.75 4.25 4.30 4.37 20% 0.87

3.75/5  rDev -15.2%

A: Poured a thin black color with good carbonation leaving a nice brown cap

S: Big booze with bourbon, vanilla, caramel, toffee and cocoa being secondary. The booze sting dominated

T: Heat w/ big vanilla taste, bourbon, cocoa, toffee, wood and some Earthiness.

M: The body was not as full as I expected from a beer this rich and complex. Finished dry, sweet and boozey but tasty

O: This is very much a novelty beer like 120IPA. While its tasty as can be I find this to be one superbly overhyped beer. Its not practical for drinking nor is it worth the sticker price. Glad I was able to try this.

4.42/5  rDev 0%

Batch 1. First off, oh my god. Eternal thanks to Bob for this one. It pours a dark molasses esque brown in color and poured very thick and syrupy. It smells like sweet chocolate syrup with a touch of roasted malts. It's awesome and very well integrated. It tastes of sweet yet not cloyingly sweet milky chocolate with a touch of coffee. The bitterness at the end is light and compliments the sweetness quite well. It drinkable thick and syrupy but drinks well for the size of this monster. Great beer. I almost hate when beers live up to the hype like this one does. Phenomenal beer, and actually a nice upgrade of Black Tuesday.

4.34/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750 ml bottle into a snifter. 3/4/13 bottling date

pitch black with not much of a head. smell is quite big on the chocolate but also the alcohol. taste is quite sweet but expected...big chocolate..big bitter finish. ABV definitely apparent. full bodied with low carbonation.

overall impressive.

4.13/5  rDev -6.6%

From 750mL gold wax dipped bottle to Portsmouth glass on 5/24/12
*From notes

-- Big, big thanks go out to siege06nd for opening his CHOCOLATE RRAAAIIINNNN!!! Thanks buddy. --

A: Not the best of introductions. This looks kinda like a cherry cola, as it's a pretty clean, fair brown. A forceful pour yields no head, no collar, no lacing. Really not off to a good start here.

S: I don't even have to put this to my nose to smell it, as this is as aromatic as any beer I've come across. Costco sized quantities of ruby port wine overwhelm my nostrils. Lots and lots and lots of red vine fruit. Letting this open a bit, the vanilla really begins to show itself. It's quite candied and really damn expressive.

T: Creamy, luscious vanilla, mounds of warm dark chocolate, intense red vine fruit and a boatload of booze. The bourbon and 19% ABV attack the finish. Jesus is this hot. It really sticks to the jowls and burns long after the beer's gone down my gullet. This is most certainly a dessert beer to be sure, as it's extremely cloying and pretty damn sweet. It's also divisive: most of the group felt this to be too much, where I really enjoyed it for what it is.

M: Lackluster is a good way of putting it. The feel for such a big beer like this should be dense and thick. I should need a knife and fork to get through this one. Instead, it's lacking any semblance of complexity and proper weight. I really think that a bigger body would make for a more balanced and enjoyable beer.

O: Certainly a good beer, but it's an aquired taste, I suspect. I found more pleasure in this then the rest of my tasting group, yet I do firmly believe that this never reaches the upper echelon of the ADIS style. I'm not quite sure how this got to the lofty status it currently holds, as I assume the hype train just got a rollin' and never let go. Do yourself a favor and hold onto your cellar's best bottles, as 'll bet they're better then this.

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes

A- Pours mostly black with dark brown hues around the edges. A small off-white head dissipates quickly, leaving no lacing.

S- The aroma is very in your face. Tons of whiskey, thick chewy fudge, vanilla, and oak. Alcohol soaked dark fruits, namely prunes, dates, and figs are also prevalent.

T- The flavor is sweet as expected. The most prominent flavors are actually the dark fruits previously mentioned. Roasted malts and a bit of bitter baker's chocolate make an appearance. The fudge and vanilla play supporting roles. There's big bourbon alcohol in the finish.

M- The mouth feel is super thick, smooth, and velvety. Just the right amount of carbonation. A significant, but not overwhelming amount of warming booze.

O- This is basically like drinking bourbon-soaked dark fruits with vanilla and fudge. A very tasty imperial stout!

4.37/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml 2013 poured into short highball glass 11/10/13, big props to Adam for opening this monster

A dark cola, no head or lace as expected, long legs, like Tuesday its not as dark as expected, no too worried though, looks aren't everything

S holy fudge batman, milk chocolate, vanilla, bourbons there, chocolate liqueur, there's booze but not the massive amount there should be, I don't get much of the barrel that should come with the bourbon but this smells awesome either way

T a little more wood then the nose but still not all that much, not the extreme chocolate fudge on the nose but still strong, vanilla and booze still play a big part, tastes great but the nose was a hard act to follow

M thick and syrupy, a little heat but there should be much more, my lips are stuck together, bourbon and I get a hint of smoke on the finish

O half chocolate liqueur, half bourbon, half big fuck off stout, yes I realize that's three 1/2s but I'd say this is easily a beer and a half

I could have sat there smelling this all night but I kept drinking it and before I knew it my glass was empty. I was expecting much more heat from this 2013 bottle, I'd love another crack at this one with a few years on it.

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Reviewed from notes as JLindros and I split the bottle as part of our RS membership. Review #1000!

A - Holy shit!!! Thin mocha head atop a blackish brown hued pour. Outstanding with so much lovely legs!

S - TONS of chocolate and bourbon! Big, big vanilla comes through as it warms with nice light malt too. So much chocolate and bourbon. Like a Kentucky candy bar.

T - ¡¡¡¡¡¡ZZZOOOMMMGGG!!!!111 Liquid chocolate bars tempered with vanilla and bourbon. Rich, quality ingredients as well. Sweet zombie Jesus! So, so phenomenal with outstanding barrel notes, absurd amounts of silky chocolate. I really don't know how to put this into words. Its a silken chocolate gusher candy filled with bourbon and vanilla explosions. Unreal.

M - Mouthfeel is silk in my mouth. 19.5%...go F yourself! This can't be higher than 9%! I simply dont believe it, shanangins! Its thick and silky and almost coats the mouth. Its like a Geology field trip to Berkshire county all over again testing particle (grain) size on my tongue. Is this silt? Clay? No...its a colloid!!

O - This is a velour fog in my mouth covered in a velour bedspread, all of which is tucked into a too small velour uniform. Kif, inform the men!

Review #1000. Thought long and hard since October, the first time I had this, as to whether I could really give this kind of review after only having 4oz of it. So I drank it again at the RS party, bumping my total up to about a grand total of 10oz through roughly five different tastings.

Anyways, jeez, not pitch black, the brown chocolate current running through it, not a big head to it, its not supposed to. Why everyone thinks a beer can't have a perfect appearance unless it has massive carbonation leading to a 2" head and tons of lace clinging to the glass. . . (well actually this did cling decently). If it makes you feel better to get some visual stimulation, swirl it a little, it'll do what you want. Massive chocolate aroma, bourbon, vanilla.

Taste, I picture a crack fiend with a lighter and spoon, melting dark chocolate in the spoon and dropping it into the beer. Lots of vanilla come out with this one, everything is huge, except ironically, the alcohol. Bourbon, vanilla and chocolate pretty much bigger than an any other example I can think of. Wood tannin meld, very under the radar. Viscosity is not through the roof, just right. Such a warming feel to the alcohol, soaked up with the chocolate. Had many beers 1/3 the abv that come across with more heat and less enjoyable because of it.

I would guess there might be multiple sources of high end chocolate going into a high end beer here (cocoa, dark chocolate, white chocolate etc. . . ). Can't think of any beer that is bottled that rivals it. Really, I've come to the conclusion that the greatest beers in the world are just all the different varieties of Pliny and Black Tuesday.

4.44/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Somewhat hazy and very dark brown colour. Creamy tan head. Nice.

The aroma is intense. Bourbon. Chocolate. Alcohol. Fruit. Vanilla. Bloody crazy.

This is SWEET! Great chocolate flavour and nice oak character. The bourbon is here and there is lots of vanilla too. Really good and complex flavours.

Full bodied and quite oily. Moderate carbonation. Very good.

An excellent beer. Sure there is some big beer syndrome here but it is really nice and complex.

4.32/5  rDev -2.3%

750mL bottle poured into a tulip. Huge thanks to Chris for sharing!

(A)- Pours pitch black with some surprising tan and brown bubbles/froth considering the massive ABV on this thing.

(S)- A very dense but rich burnt caramel and cocoa with vanilla oak. In the far background is a more pronounced rich dark chocolate component. Very nice.

(T)- Similar to the smell, only a far far greater rich and silky chocolate flavor amidst dense caramel and vanilla oakiness. Some heat as well at the end, but definitely not nearly as much as I was expecting on a near 20%ABV beer.

(M)- A mellow carbonation level, but it fits this well. Very strong and rich overall. I like the deep chocolate middle of this beer's flavor profile; that richness definitely helps mask the huge ABV.

(O)- Definitely a fun and successful spin on the regular Black Tuesday. To me it is a bit hotter, but still not as massively crazy going into it. Extremely rich though. I daresay I almost like the regular BT version over this actually.

Chocolate Rain from The Bruery