Oude Tart | The Bruery

The Bruery
California, United States | website

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Availability: Fall

Oude Tart is our take on a Flanders Style red ale. It has won back to back gold medals in that category at the World Beer Cup (2010 & 2012) as well as a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival in 2010. This sour red ale ages in oak barrels for anywhere from 6 to 18 months before being carefully blended to taste. The resulting beer is pleasantly sour with hints of leather, dark fruit and toasty oak.

Added by Overlord on 12-20-2009

Reviews: 391 | Ratings: 2,418
4.7/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I opened this gem from the cellar with family before we headed out for a wonderful night on the town, celebrating my (then) fiancée and my bachelor/bachelorette party. Poured into a snifter.

The beer looks just beautiful in the glass. A copper color with red and brown streaks swirling around. A thin white head sticks around for a bit then becomes just a thin film. It's easily re-awakened by agitating the snifter. The beer is cloudy and there are some major differences from glass to glass as we work through the bottle. Overall, it's still a nice looking Flanders Old Bruin and very few bottled bruins have impressed me this much.

If you love this style, you know what to expect from your first sniff of a freshly poured glass. But this one is special. Sure the requisite components of the bouquet are all there: sour cherries, vinegar-esque acetic acid, oak tannins, and a touch of barnyard funk. But there are also some woody spices, green apples, and vanilla. The beer is expressive and wonderful.

The taste is sublime. This is now my favorite beer in one of my favorite styles ever, and I must seek out more. Oude Tart is a traditional Flanders Bruin with tons of oak and lots of pleasant intricate tastes. It's sour and reminiscent of tart cherry and lush green apples. There's a touch of spice, namely from the oak - vanilla, brown sugar, and red wine like tannins. And a wonderful acetic tone brings it all home. More wood and depth than just about any Flanders out there.

So it's obvious that when this beer is in my mouth, my taste buds are happy. But how exactly does it feel? Well, the medium body is lush and never compromising and the lively carbonation makes it feel lighter and much more enjoyable. All around, this beer is so close to perfect in just about every way and the taste makes it the best Flanders style beer I've ever had. Just wonderful stuff, can't wait to drink it again!

4.68/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Deep burgundy red, nearly no head.

S: Red berries/cherries, floral undertone, a bit of malt and vinegar.

T: Berry fruit juice flavor in the beginning, immediately followed by pretty fair addition of tartness. Light hops and malt fills your mouth behind the tartness and it all finishes with a little vinegar.

M: Light. Rose wine viscosity.

O: Best sour I've tried from the Bruery. Definitely a favorite.

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

Bottled shared by JessetheHutt and JRhode. thanks guys!

This was a treat. Pours with a lightly dense finger thick foam cap. Body is like a reddish-brown. My notes say it smelled of cherry and wood. The taste was tart (shocker!), with an overall sour cherry flavor and wood tannins. That's all I wrote down as I was losing my focus by this time.

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet. Incredible thanks to route66pubs for this right out of nowhere!

A: Pours a perfectly murky, caramel brown with a definite reddish tint. Capping this is a creamy, one finger, khaki colored head that sat up top and fizzed for a while before settling down to a smooth and mellow skim and ring. Carbonation is pretty active and lace was of the ropey/splotchy variety.

S: Excellent nose on this! Aromas of tart cherry, green apple, wood, old leather belt, vinegar, spicy dark fruit, and black cherry. I also picked up a "wool sweater" smell!

T: Right off the bat, there's an awesome combination of both tart cherry and sweet and spicy black cherry. This is followed by a lot of the stuff mentioned above. Leather, green apple, vinegar, and oak are joined by tart red grape, spices, tangy berry, and bitter citrus. Floating underneath all of this is a layer of sweetness that binds and compliments everything happening here. Masterful!

M: It's easy for a tart/sour beer to come off feeling thin and watery. This, on the other hand, is full and rich and actually quite sticky and chewy. Tart with spices and sweet, it doesn't get much better.

D: An almost perfect sour beer. It has a little something for everyone. Tart, sweet, spicy, winey, citrus, and oak. Whew! Incredible!

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The beer comes in a hazy dark copper color.

The aroma is extremely tart and sour, with a good amount of oak and dark fruit, raisin, cherries sweetness. There's also that vinegar sourness.

The flavor follows with a bit of fruity sweetness in the front, and then it just attacks you with a vinegary tartness that really puckers your mouth. along with fruity cherry and grape sourness. One of the more sour beers I have had. There's a bit of oak that dries the beer.

This is really an exceptional sour. I really love how complex and sour it is.

4.66/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2014 version. What a flavor smack on the mouth! Huge tart cherry, but still slick and clean. Really enjoyable. I'm not expert on Flanders Red, but this is my current leader.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a rusty redwood with a silky tan head. Nose has sour cherries, ripe plums, barnyard funk, oak and dry red wine. Taste has tart cherries up front through the finish followed by sweet pitted fruits, wood and musty farmyard funk. Crisp clean body has a tart and acidic finish. Another style well doen by the Bruery.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Had this as part of an epic tasting I had with several BA's
Poured into a snifter.
Pours an opaque cider apple tan reddish hued color. Very fizzy head like champagne.
Smells of sour apple, spices, and sweet dark fruit.
The taste is a little overwhelmed by the carbonation but after that you get a nice tart, sour apple flavor with a nice slight sweetness to the end.
Mouthfeel is extremely light due to the carbonation.
Very drinkable, I could drink this all day.
Stellar...period.

4.64/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Vintage 2010

Dark, deep and roasted color. Big foamy off-white head. No lacing. Clarity is nice too

Tons of roasty cherry. Oakey and vanilla too. Tart and acidic. Milky, but cherry is almost over whelming..

Sweet and sour; Cherry and dry. Tart, acidic, smooth, delicious, slightly bitter and dark red cherry. The only thing I would dismiss is some of the super dark roasty cherry flavors, slightly detracts from the mouthfeel.

Awesome brew! I can't believe this is the first time I've had it... Highly recommended and can't wait for next years release. Exactly the beer I wanted.

4.63/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A ruby crimson and brown pour, small 1/5" head on it, off white, more tan than anything. Aroma is wickedly sour dark fruit and oak. Really jumps at you.

More oak, delectable sour taste, mild brown malt notes, leather well done, dark fruit, dark cherry, plum. Geez this is amazing, is there a better Flanders? No, Cuvee des Jacobins is close, but this beer's run at the World Beer Cup and Great American Beer Fest is well deserved. Just phenomenal world class stuff. Love that you can still get this for less than $20, really makes chasing down rare stuff not worth it when this is relatively plentiful.

4.63/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark ruby color with an offwhite 1 finger head that leaves a ring.

Smell is tart vinegar, cherries, lemon, oak, raspberries, unripe peach, and lactic acid. Very inviting nose on this.

Taste is the same with a sharp tartness, just a big sour punch, and then fruit flavors start to appear. Theres an oak character in there, but no bourbon or anything. green apple, sour grapes, This beer is quite sour but I like that.

Feel is spot on, can't improve on that.

Overall, a nicely done sour, but I don't think this is very similar to alot of other flanders reds out there. Its much more sour.

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours deep brown with a ruby tint and a light brown head that dissipates quickly to nothing but a ring. Nose is sour grapes, tart cherries, grape juice, oak, slight burnt oak notes, dark fruits, plums, apple skins and maybe just a bit of leather. Taste is very tart with grape juice flavors up front that mingle with cherries, plums, a bit of oak, leather, green apples, apple skins and maybe just a hint of pear. The body is very light, the carbonation is sharp but not overpowering, its perfect for this style. This is an awesome sour. The Bruery is 2 for 2 in sours for me (the other being Tart of Darkness).

4.61/5  rDev +9%

750mL bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks to Kegatron for this one!

(A)- Pours a deep and dark almost blood red/mahogany color. Produced a giant effervescent tan head that dissipated to a good layer of froth. Some lacing.

(S)- Very dry. Nicely smooth yet funky oak up front. Bits of vinegar-like fruits. Bits of Brett. Rather vinous.

(T)- A great similarity to the smell only far more complex. A hefty soured vinegar bite up front that flows into a harmonious dry oaky vinous funk. Finishes with a great sour acidity character. Damn tasty.

(M)- A nice carbonation level and a great balance. Fits the style very well with a big oaky and sour finish. I am liking this very much.

(D)- A superb Flanders. Easily one of the best examples from the states I have had thus far. Wonderfully oaky and sour; just the way I like it. Very well done.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Apparently I ended up being the first person outside of of Cali to review this one. ig thanks to my trustee for getting to me quickly. I sit here and pour it into a 6oz snifter wearing my new bruery hoodie as its friggin 15 outside! Consumed on 01/26/2010.

The pour is nearly perfect and for the style it was hard for me to ask for anything more. Dark garnet in color with a nice head of white that reached a height of at least an inch before slowly, and effortlessly settling down into a thin veil that covered the entire top of the glass. Nice side glass lacing then creeps in, clogging it up and really showing off some nice depth. Aroma is funky, red wine, vinegar, hints of cherries and sour apples are all readily present and showing their true colors from the very first notes that hit the air. Warming almost brings out a slight sweetness to the tart cherries but it short lived as the barnyard funk returns for an encore.

I take the first sip and it is exactly what I would have imagined it taste like. Tart cherries, light touches of oak, hints of funk and a deep, vinegar flavor that seals it in perfectly. Incredibly complex and sour, it has been a long time since I have had a flanders this good. Warming brings that light touch of tart, almost spice to the cherries before getting smacked around and thrown to the wolves with the vinegar sour funk. Simply stunning.

Overall this was just what it was supposed to be. It is truly a breath of fresh air what the Bruery is doing. So far so good. everything has lived up to and exceed my expectations.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Cheers to joerodii for hooking me up with two bottles. Always happy to drink my favorite style of beer.

A: Hazy brown with hints of red, perfect for a Flanders. Cream white head that stayed around for quite sometime.

S: Fresh cherries, oak, vanilla, fresh squeezed lemon juice, leather.

T: Tart, sour cherries, fresh vanilla bean, smooth oakiness, I tasted something akin to chocolate but not as pronounced, some sort of subtle roastiness. Touch of brown sugar

M: Smooth and velvety without being to cloying, little bit of pucker.

D: This is where this beer shines. I'd like to think I've had my fair share of Flanders Reds and this one take the cake with balance. Everything works so well together in this beer. Where La Folie is tongue twisting sour, or The Duchesse is a bit too sweet, this beer is just silly balanced. If you get a chance try this beer.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

This is one exquisite beer. Served into a Bruery glass.

The appearance is a nice dark brown amber with lighter copper edges. It has a nice frothy off-white head that sticks to everything. There is not clarity in this one, for this thing owns some thick haze.

The smell is sweet cherry, cinnamon, apples, sweet sugars, booze.

The taste is perfect, as well as the mouthfeel. The sourness in this one is perfect. There are nice sour green apples, vinegar, cinnamon and brown sugar, tart cherry. The mouthfeel is perfect because it is not overly sour, not overly tart. It has nice malty oak back to it that supports the sweetness. Delicious.

The drinkability is incredible, could drink a few bottles of this brew. Once again, the Bruery hits you with a left, then finishes you off right.

J

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

On-tap at The Bruery, on to the beer:

It's violet red in color. Not much of a head on this one, but not much was expected for this style. A whiff of the aroma and you know that those 18 months in barrels did this beer good. Tart and oakey at the same time, intense and dreamy.

In taste, it is light on the acid. More woody and oakey than anything, but still moderately tart. Some tart strawberry crawls out. A well balanced tart ale. The long lingering aftertaste of tart berries is extremly pleasant and very difficult to let go of. Like the other sours from The Bruery, it is very easy to drink.

Yum. That is all.

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

A - cranberry juice, hemaglobin, mahogany. Tan head sits low.

S - Granny Smith apples, apple cider vinegar, prune, cranberry cocktail, fig.

T - Lime juice, oak, sour apple warheads, candy sugar, strawberries, peach pits, dry tannins.

M - Unbelievably smooth, with a surprisingly lively carbonation and a razor sharp acidity. Medium frame.

O - A stellar American take on a Flanders Red; aggressively acidic and bracingly sour with an amazingly smooth body.

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured on tap (several times) at the Bruery Reserve Society initiation. Very excited for this one, as I am a huge fan of the Bruery, and this is one of my very favorite beer styles (with a caveat, below).

Appearance is a fairly dark, slightly murky, reddish-brown color. Although the head is not terribly substantial, it is remarkably long-lasting. Carbonation is strong here.

Smell - the unmistakable smell of a Flanders ale. Vinegar, oak, tart cherry, with a slight, but noticeable candy sweetness. This is very good.

Ah, this tastes divine. It follows the nose, but is perhaps more robust than I believed it would be. Big tart cherry, slight woodiness, with a sour vinegar kick. There may be an element of other fruit as well - I think figs - but it's only a trace. I may be wrong. The beer is not a massive, mouth-puckeringly sour beer. Nicely tart. Excellent.

Mouthfeel is only good-ish. It didn't detract from my enjoyment much, or really at all, but I did think that the carbonation was just a bit too vigorous. Of course, that smooths out with a few minutes in the glass, so meh, not such a huge deal. I wonder if the bottled version will be as carbonated as on-tap.

Drinkability is fantastic. I need more of this beer, so that I may chug it by the gallon. OK, not really - but I don't envision there being a problem with finishing a 750ml by myself.

One thing that bugs me. The Bruery classifies this as a Flanders Red. However, The Dissident, by Deschutes, seems to me to be a close sister of Oude Tart - and they class it as a Flanders Oud Bruin. It seems to me that either the line between these two styles of beer is minimal or nonexistent, the brewers aren't following the same style guidelines, or alternatively, my palate blows goats. And I don't know which is the case. I need to find another bottle of Dissident so I can do a side-by-side comparison.

EDIT: Patrick BMed me with some helpful information that has resolved my question re: Flanders Red vs. Oud Bruin. Methinks there are a few reds that are currently misclassified.

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

Bottle shop manager near me, upon hearing that I was going to share this beer, told me "Don't. Drink it with your wife. You'll thank me later." Well, he was dead right. It pours even deeper than ruby, with a mahogany tint to it. Not as much of a tart smell as I've gotten in others, but the oaken notes come right out of the bottle and hit you from a few feet away. You also get the barrel in the taste, and it's not so sour that it curls your eye shut. It has a perfect balance of everything, and even has a bit of alcohol burn that I have never tasted in a sour. It has a clean finish, and doesn't linger past its welcome.

4.57/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Duvel tulip glass.

A: A browning red color (mahogany like) with a very minimal light brown head. No glass lacing.

S: Loads of tart dark fruits with some woody notes and slight mustiness.

T: Wow, pucker up this is one sour beer. Dark fruits of cherry and plum mix with some chewy woody and leathery notes. No sweetness at all, but I get some toffee or brown sugar flavors that are not sweet. Does that make sense? Anyway, the tartness lasts and lingers all the way through the finish. Fantastic beer.

M: Full, tart, light carbonation, surprisingly easy to drink.

O: An excellent sour, maybe one of the best. This is one fantastic beer. If you like sours, this is one you need to try.

Overall I'll seek this one out again. Expensive beer, but well worth the money. Benchmark sour.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

A: Pours a nice dark redish brown with a large off white fluffy head. Lots of little bubbles dancing up the glass

S: In order of aroma. Cherries, Oak and Funk. I would've really enjoyed a bit more if there was a bit more funk to this.

T: The taste is amazing. Cherry sweetness, beautiful tartness, slightly sour and a touch of oak. Very yummy.

M: Medium to light mouthfeel which fits very well for this beer during the summer. Carbonated very nicely. Quite refreshing on a warm summer day (or night out here in Southern California).

D: I could drink this all day long!

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Oude Tart pour a flat muddy brown with a tiny head. Only a few spots of lace on the glass.

The aroma is tart with Belgian spice and barrel notes. Cherries, oak, vanilla, and a little coriander.

Each sip of this medium to full bodied beer is soft and smooth with moderate carbonation. The flavor begins tart and acidic with cherry and peach tastes. Oak and vanilla is present along with a little cinnamon. It finishes tart with lingering fruity notes.

This is a full flavored very tasty beer. Lots of tartness with a nice oaky/vanilla barrel notes.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Bottle @ the Bruery event @ KnB.

Didn't take any notes, but I do remember this being ridiculously drinkable for a sour. It was easily my favorite thing we had today.

I wish this was more available than it is... It was served in a pilsner glass which isn't the best glass for getting a good nose on it, but I do remember the very evident sour funk to it (not in a bad way).

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Thank you Patrick for the sneak peek at the bottled product, poured from an unlabeled bottle.

Pours a cloudy dark cherry read with a finger or two of wispy white head that sticks around for a half a minute or so.

Aroma is light tart cherries with a little bit of woody character to it, very pleasant aroma that lets you know there is some tart to it but not overpowering.

Flavor is VERY well balanced, excellent, light lactic tartness with dark fruit/malt balance, this is the best american flanders red i have had. very well put together beer, cant wait to get a few bottles!

Oude Tart from The Bruery