Oude Tart - The Bruery

The Bruery visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Overlord on 12-20-2009

Oude Tart is our take on a Flanders Style red ale. It has won back to back gold medals in that category at the World Beer Cup (2010 & 2012) as well as a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival in 2010. This sour red ale ages in oak barrels for anywhere from 6 to 18 months before being carefully blended to taste. The resulting beer is pleasantly sour with hints of leather, dark fruit and toasty oak.
Ratings: 2,297 | Reviews: 385
3.92/5  rDev -8.6%

2011 bottle into a Bruery tulip.

A- Pours a hazy burgundy with minimal pinkish tan head; no lacing.
S- Hay, sour cherries, red wine vinegar, oolong tea and barnyard funk. Some leather.
T- Sour, fresh mowed grass, tart cherry and rhubarb. Some residual sweetness as well as hints of oak and vinous characters.
M- Thin but well carbonated.

A good representation of the style. While the other Bruery offerings are superior (Wanderer especially) this is still one of the best West Coast sours. Glad I bought a few to cellar.

3.55/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at the Bruery. It poured a dark brown with a little ruby coloring on the edges when held to the light. It had about an inch of a yellowish cream colored head but was completely void by the time it got to me. It smelled very tart with hints of cherry and warhead candy. A little sweeter than I expected. Definitely tart but not in the extreme mouth puckering way. Slightly acidic and dry. It certainly brings you back quickly for another sip. Well carbonated. I'm not a huge sour fan, but I'm trying to appreciate this style for what it is. Tasty all in all.

3.87/5  rDev -9.8%

Not sure how I missed this review. Taken from notes on 11.2.2011.

750ml bottle poured into a Bruery Tulip glass.

A - Dark brown with a reddish tint. A one finger tan head forms, then fades quickly.

S - Tart cherries, and some oak flavors.

T - Ripe cherry, slight funk, a warming woody flavor.

D - Lower carbonation, average body. Pretty mild all-around.

O - Mild taste, in avery nice way.

4.42/5  rDev +3%

HUGE thanks to jlindros for sharing this beer with me in honour of my 600th review. This is the 2011 edition and was poured into a Palm Tulip. Reviewed from notes.

A - Pours a ruddy garnet hue with a foamy one finger earthy almost mocha head that fades to leave a very nice halo.

S - This is a very nice flanders red. Good sour cherries and very nice oak. Nice and tart on the nose with some light vanilla as well.

T - Very, very nice here. Good tart sour cherries with lots of oak and light vanilla to mellow and round things out. Sour candies and a tartness that lingers. Just super mellow and smooth as it goes from one flavour to the next. Really jives.

M - Moutheel is smooth and creamy, lower on the carbonation than usual. Its super tart, kinda syrupy and results in a flemmy mouthfeel. It is quite drinkable still though.

O - Overall wow, what a beer. I can understand why this is so heavily sought after. Excellent lingering sourness here. Shame I couldnt get my hands on a bottle.

3.53/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle provided by russwbeck and poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - The appearance is much darker than I was expecting; it's nearly a complete brown void with only faint traces of dark red. About 1.5-fingers of light tan head with good retention and a thick, foamy cap when it fades. The lacing isn't bad, but it's not exactly the most sticky of foam.

S- Not exceptionally tart, but with a good amount of cherries to help mix things up. I'm getting a lot of the darker fruit aspect of it, like pitted fruits, especially the skin and stones. I'm also smelling a bit of that vinegar that is common for the style. Finally, the oak barrels do come through here as well, but not exceptionally so and it is more of a subtle addition.

T - The first thing I realize about the flavor is that it is not very sour at all; there's only a touch of tartness but it seems as more of an afterthought than the focus, especially for a beer proclaiming 'tart' as part of its name. I'm getting a bit more of the cherry and darker fruits, with the whole fruit coming into play. A little bit of oak and a dram of vinegar, before finishing in a silkiness that adds a pinch of leather.

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with nice carbonation. It feels little bit heavy, especially with the bolder flavors and smaller amount of tartness.

D - Drinkability is moderate. This is pretty much a sipper, and I can't help but feel a little more tartness or carbonation could've helped. As it warms, the vinegar comes through even more which adds a different facet. Honestly, I was expecting a lot more out of this, and having it in company of Goose Island's Three Sisters, this comes in near the bottom.

3.6/5  rDev -16.1%

Epic tasting shared with nhindian. Thanks beerman4 for picking this up for me!

A: Brown pour with hints of red along the edges. About a finger of white head leaves some nice lacing and decent retention.

S: The nose is full of tartness and a slight amount of cherries. Slight funkiness and some malts seem to provide the base for this guy.

T: The taste is really lacking for me. I was expecting something that would really blow me away, and this failed to deliver. Light cherry taste mixed with some tartness and slight vinegar. Very dry and acidic finish that leaves my mouth watering. As I finish the beer off, the booziness really takes over.

MF: Light body with average carbonation. The aftertaste is a bit strange, but no alcohol is noted.

O: Pretty disappointed here. Was expecting a far above average sour, but got nothing but average to below average. Just not a strong enough flavor profile, and enough of a balanced taste for it to be rated with an A average.

4.42/5  rDev +3%

Huge thanks to pitasoup for this one, trade done from Reddit.

Light fizzy head, slight yeast chunks at the bottom, dark murky molasses brown ruby colored beer with touch of light coming through.

Nose great, tart fruit, sour malt, bit lambic like tartness, light acidity, hint of dark malts, light raisin, bit of tart cherry, great tart fruit, hint of vanilla oak.

Taste starts nice and tart, soured malt, light wild funk and acidity, brown sugar, molasses, raisin, like sour candy, whisky sour cherry, light earthy nutty like malts, light sweetness, little syrupy, hint of vanilla and oak. Long tart finish, dry bready malts and earthy light funk, light tart cherry. Sticky syrupy as well.

Mouth is med bodied, bit heavier, lighter carb, syrupy, flemmy.

Overall great, delicious, great tart fruit, sour malt, light bready dry malts and funk, bit sticky and syrupy.

3.81/5  rDev -11.2%

Served in a Duvel Tulip - In 2011, Thanks Kyle2k10.

Looks like mulled cider with a murky brown body and tinges of red and yellow. Small 1 finger off-white head. Decent lacing.

Smells like Supplication, which makes me excited in anticipation of that dry fruity sour goodness. Funky yeast, new oak, and lots off stewed Autumn fruits.

Wow! Too sour, and I usually love sour beers. It's like a slap in the face with acid. I should've let this age a bit because I think it would be more enjoyable with more time to bottle condition. The flavors would have a chance to meld and the sourness would be suppressed a little bit more. Taste is more of the same from the nose, but not as well executed. Vinegar notes and some cherries come out. Leather is certainly there too as the bottle suggests.

Carbonation is there, but it's low to moderate. Feels thin despite the big bold murky body which leads you to believe otherwise.

This is not a bad beer, and I think it would be better in time, which is why my overall score is a bit higher. I'd rather drink this than others I rated 3.5 in the overall field.

2.4/5  rDev -44.1%

This is the 2011 batch thanks to Janderson91, appreciate it. I was hopeful about this beer and was completely disappointed. Dark red-brown color, no head, almost completely flat. Smells like it might be a good sour flanders red, not bad but nothign that makes me say yum either. The taste was so disappointing, I almost want to say bland, Muted flavors, just the hint of what a flanders red tastes like. Wow, I really expected more since I know the Bruery can make a good beer, I hope it was just an off bottle because this was pathetic.

4.44/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thank to kbutler1 for whipping this out at a weekend tasting. Moly, this is a great drink. Pours a little murky and medicinal, but all is forgiven aromatically when the raspberries and cherries come out. Fantastically pucker-worthy and tart, with a great sipping consistency. Killer stuff, worth the high price.

4.42/5  rDev +3%

Poured into a Jester King wine glass. Big thanks to texasclimber for inviting me over again.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange-reddish brown with a thin off white head about a centimeter thick that fades to a thin lacing.

Aroma: Tart cherries, raisins, dark fruits, a hint of caramel and burnt sugar. A lot of sour and acidic notes that make my mouth water.

Taste: Sour cherries, dark fruits, a hint of tart apples and caramel.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with medium-high carbonation and a dry sour finish.

Overall: Great beer, definitely the best Bruery beer I've had to date.

4.39/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

reviewed from notes.

pours a kinda murky brownish orange color-- like the leaves in the fall... actually, a pretty good match to the color of the label on the bottle.
The nose is bright, oaky, vinegary, and a bit citrusy. Smells great, and the taste is not a let down. Taste has a hint of acidic white grapes with some oakiness and vinegar. A touch of sweetness up front blends nicely into the sourness at the back end.
Very solid sour beer here.
Mouthfeel is good-- carbonation is nice.
Overall-- excellent beer right here. Go get one!

3.33/5  rDev -22.4%

Review is for a bottle of 2011.

Appearance is good. My bottle had decent carbonation, bottle had slight pop when opened. Small head on beer, probably 1/2 inch. Head retention was low, evaporated in less than 1 minute. The low head retention is to style.

Smell is ok. Light tartness, sour qualities. Smells like a small Flanders Red. Get some black licorice and maybe some anise.

Taste is ok as well. Not as complex as last vintage. This bottle needs age. Expecting more acid and sourness. Lacks depth like the Marron Acidifie.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall this is a good beer, but nothing to salivate about. This vintage needs a lot more time in the bottle. The prior release is much better, but this bottle might just need more time. Will have to review again.

Pours a solid and clear dark brown with deep ruby highlights when held to light. I can smell the tart fruit as soon as I pop the cap on this baby. Sour cherries, lemons, sweet brown sugar, hints of vinegar, light sherry notes. Taste is a bit more sour than the nose lead me to believe. Huge lemony tartness with hints of barnyard funk hit right up front. Sour cherries and a hint of sweetness sweep across the gullet before finishing with a lingering sweet sour and funky aftertaste. Medium body and level of carbonation, tart acidic mouthfeel. I really enjoyed this one, I'm glad I got to try it.

On tap @ provisions

Look: Deep brown in color with traces of red throughout. 1/4 inch head and no real retention

Smell: Lots of sour cherries on the nose and typical vinegar acidity

Taste: Similar to the nose except the tartness is quite a bit stronger than it is on the nose. For me personally it is just too much tartness. Typical flanders red ale

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium to high carbonation and a dry tart finish

Overall: Flanders red's in general are a bit overwhelming for my palate but I am glad I got the chance to try this one. Recommended if you like your palate wrecked

4.17/5  rDev -2.8%

2011 Bottle (Thanks Dan!)

Pour: Dark mahogany brown/red with a slightly off white/tan head. Mild amounts of carbonation.

Nose: Slightly acidic vinegar, macerated cherry, plum, oak, vanilla, and slightly tart malt.

Taste: The usual Flemish sour here with cherry juice, plum, drying oak, and vanilla. Really good if anything but simple. Maybe that's the part to appreciate.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, mildly carbonated, and drying on the finish.

Overall: I'm confused as to why this is SO highly rated and why it trades so highly as well. It's good, simple, and tasty but nothing mind blowing. I think I like Marron Acidife better though I could drink this often.

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

figured I'd crack it since I've never had it out of the bottle. 2011 edition for the sake of formality.

A: Foamy thin ring forms pie crust ruffles on the edge of the glass. There's not too much in terms of lacing, but there seems to be a mild movement of the foam towards the body. The bubbles are slightly tinged brown, but still with a favoritism towards whites, like a dirty T-shirt. Cherry stained mahogany body with a core of volcanic rock. Looks really great.

S: Boom right away huge lactic funk presence that makes me excited. Thick cherry skins that pop out like inclusions in a rich home made jam. slightly hide-like finish that definitely makes me think about how fresh this is. The cherry's seem dowsed in a high end red wine. Slight red wine vinegar in the tail end.

T: Huge leathery plum that explodes into a kriek based jam. The bottle is fresh but the combination of yeast and barrel gives a musky old cherry flavor that marries fantastically. I can see why some people say that cherries are a natural addition to this beer, as a mild almost filler linger acts as a bridge between bursts of fruit rollup dark fruit flavors. Love the plum and cherry notes in here.

M: Feels a bit lighter in the mouth than I'd like, but it drinks very well. Light mouth with a temporary visitation to the light-medium side with the exploration of plum/prune/leather flavors. The acetic linger gives an illusion of medium fullness as well, but I would definitely say this is lighter in body. Especially as you let it catch up to room temp.

O: This beer has really great flavor, but definitely doesn't fit too well into the style. Dark jam, lactic funk, and cherry skins in red wine are all pronounced in flavor. This feels like a deconstruction of the style by a master chef. I am definitely a big fan of this beer, but I wish the volume would be turned up a bit. I would love to try the cherry version. Something is missing, but I finished a bottle without even trying to. If you like lactic yeast then you're in for a treat.

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

huge thanks to scott (merc7186) for bustin this beauty out at our small little tasting!

750ml capped bottle at fridge temp poured into a snifter.

pours out a dark, grapey, blood reddish color, a bit cloudy. thin light tannish head fades to a ring.

smells quite dry and tart. a bit of cherry with lots of earthy, lactic, slight barnyard funk, a hint of dark fruits.

big sour lactic funk. earthy, slightly barnyard, musty. some cherry and a bit of a winey, berry flavor. a slight rich caramel malt balances the intense sour just a bit, almost maple syrup like, very nice.

very dry and tart, acidic. lots of lingering sourness. medium to heavy in body.

what a solid beer, better than most traditional belgian examples. i really love that big sourness and that subtle hint of maple sweetness. id love one of these for the cellar, age would do this wonders.

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

I think Sean brought this to share, but not really sure.

A - Reddish brown colored beer with a tan head that dissipated to a ring. Minor stick left on the sides.

S - Wood, vanilla, cherries, with a little bit of vinous quality. There's a lot of acetic acid and tart notes here.

T - Cherries, acetic acid, a little bit of lactic acid. There is a little bit of barrel presence and a tannic finish.

M - Medium bodied with active carbonation.

O - Good beer. There's a limit to how much you can really drink of it, but it's still enjoyable and something I'd drink again.

3.46/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

2011 bottle poured into multiple tulips. Thanks to Scott for sending a couple my way!

A: Opened with almost no sound and poured the same. Absolutely no head, even with a vigorous pour. Murky body, brown and ruby colored, no lace and no retention (obviously). Bleak, sad looking beer to be honest.

S: Oak, vanilla, cherry, dark grapes, tart fruits. A certain acidic quality comes through in the end which I expected to be here. It's actually a very good smelling beer despite how things started out.

T: Cherry and dark fruit tartness is immediate, followed by the barrel aging flavors of vanilla and oak. It's slightly acidic towards the end of the palate. Some faint citrus notes are in the finish, leaving a bit of a dryness on the mouth into the linger.

M: Seriously under carbonated, this is the absolute pitfall of this beer. If I move the beer in my mouth enough, I do get some bubbles. A touch dry in the linger, expected.

Look, I understand this is bottle conditioned and that with time it will carbonate more and get more tart. However, it's a complete shock to me that The Bruery would ship these bottles out to consumers like this to enjoy fresh. There is no way this is how the beer is supposed to be. I'll be sitting on my other bottles, and hopefully they'll take a complete 180 in a year or so.

4.42/5  rDev +3%

A: Murky brown ruby red with a light tan head. Retention is ok and lacing is about the same.

S: Sour grapes and tart cherry. The bouquet has just the slightest touch of acetic acid.

T: Mild acid overall and almost no vinager. This suggests the skin of young green table grapes before they have sweetened. Also subdued tart cherry and Meyer lemon flavors develop. Awesome stuff.

M: Soft, subtle, frothy.

O: Very good but more mild overall than I might have expected. Sour flavor is most definitely there but it is a very elegant one.

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Brownish reddish - sort of a rusty ruby color. Small layer settles on the top.

Cherry and oak. Quite a pungent smell and it's very nice. Sweet cherry mixed with other sweets and a bit of citrus.

Yum. Orange peel, vanilla, cherry, oak. Medium to low amount of sour - very nice. Taste is instantly agreeable, all the flavors work perfectly together in this one - not too much or little of anything.

Light to medium bodied, light carbonation, very dry with a piney finish.

This one caught me by surprise, even my non-sour drinking friend was enthusiastic. One of my new favorite sours for sure, a future classic.

Poured into a tulip.

Dark, dark brown with some ruby highlights. Almost looks black unless held to light. Two-three fingers of off white head.

Smells of vanilla, oak, leather, dark cherries, cinnamon, cloves, some other spices I can't quite identify, brown sugar, banana bread.

Taste follows smell, more lactic sourness than acidic sourness, again in the taste there is banana bread, brown sugar, vanilla, oak, woody tannins, dark fruit (dried cranberries/raisins). Quite a unique taste experience.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, tartness is middle of the road as well for the style, carbonation is low, the mouthfeel is quite smooth in general.

Quite an amazing beer. My first inclination is to compare this to Supplication. Definitely a bit more round, woody, and less sour than Supplication though.

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

On-tap at Monks. Philly Beer Week 2010.

A: Dark red-brown body. Almost bordeaux colored. Thin off-white head forms and then quickly recedes. Just the slightest bit of residue left on the glass.

S: Rich, sour cherries. Hearty dose of oak, funk, and general acetic acid notes. Slightly spicy.

T: Delicious. Sour cherries take center stage and are well complimented by oak and its complimentary vanilla and tannic qualities. Leather, red wine, and a bit of earth. Slight vinegar contributions.

M: Medium bodied with gentle, velvety carbonation. Lingering sour finish.

O: A truly wonderful flanders style brew.

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

A dark brown and cherry red with glowing red edges. Thin half-inch light tan head atop. Pretty.

A powerfully aromatic sour. There's plenty of sweet fruit aromas, particularly cherries and grapes, along with a mellow woody aroma. Very tart nose.

A delicious sour with lots of cherry and wood character. Balanced, sweet, tangy, woody, spicy, then more sweetness. Delicious.

Medium body, lip puckering, no alcohol presence. Perhaps could benefit from a touch more carbonation, but I'd only be nit-picking.

An absolutely fantastic sour. Great beer!

Oude Tart from The Bruery