Oude Tart - The Bruery

Oude TartOude Tart

The Bruery visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Oude Tart is our take on a Flanders Style red ale. It has won back to back gold medals in that category at the World Beer Cup (2010 & 2012) as well as a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival in 2010. This sour red ale ages in oak barrels for anywhere from 6 to 18 months before being carefully blended to taste. The resulting beer is pleasantly sour with hints of leather, dark fruit and toasty oak.

(Beer added by: Overlord on 12-20-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
largadeer

Bottle shared by bring. Thank you, Barry.

Hazy reddish-amber body with a finger of slightly off-white head atop. The head settles to a crown, leaving only a small film on top. The nose is sharp and cherry-like, light acetic acid backed by a subtle dark malt foundation. The ripe cherry aroma is pretty awesome. It tastes toasty and sour, balsamic vinegar-like acetic acid at a perfect level. Cherry-like esters are prominent on the palate, though there's not much sweetness; it's a dry, woody and tannic beer, especially in the finish. This exceeded my expectations, one of the better American interpretations of this style.

02-27-2010 04:52:47 | More by largadeer
Lunch

Maryland

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Served on-tap at EBF 2010 in Boston, MA into a tasting glass at the appropriate temperature (02/20/10).

A: Wonderful and vibrant shade of dark red with some sediment and a white head foamy head.

S: The best smelling sour I have had. Notes of wood, red fruit, grapes, vanilla, and tart cherries.

T: Oak surrounding tart cherries, grapes, raspberries, and some vanilla. Very unique and extremely clean with a somewhat dry and sweet finish.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation with a nice degree of tartness and dry finish.

D: The 7.5% abv. is hidden quite well and the tartness is never over-the-top.

Overall this beer was really nice and a great American interpretation on a Flanders Oud Bruin. The Bruery has crafted a fine beverage here. Recommended.

02-23-2010 21:30:48 | More by Lunch
photomike

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a reddish brown with spotty pieces of floating bubbles like broken ice chunks (which made me think of dying polar bears, which was sad). Quite hazy and no notable head retention or lacing. This is where the beer lacks the most.

The scent is full of wet wood and cherries, with a slightly tannic vinousness backing up a strong lactic tartness.

The flavor is more tart than when I've had this beer on draft, and I like it. Oaky with a lot of red wine and cherry flavor. Well balanced between sweet and tart. A nice package.

More full-bodied than many similar beers, with some chewiness. Well carbonated enough to keep this from being heavy.

Very highly drinkable; the only thing keeping this from going down like water is the mouthfeel, and I see it as a good thing. The somewhat thicker mouthfeel helps the flavors linger.

A really delicious beer.

02-21-2010 03:59:54 | More by photomike
waltonc

Colorado

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pretty amazing beer - pours hazy dark reddish/brown with a lot of tan head. Smells of tart cherries, green apple, a dash of vinager, and has an earthy, mineral quality that I can't really articulate any better than that. Not quite leather, but sort of like it. Tastes like a blend of sweet and tart cherries and apples, and a perfect balance of dry yet slightly sweet. Not overly astringent or sour. In fact, the sourness is very mild. Medium bodied, fairly high carbonation. Overall, one of the best beers I've had from Bruery.

02-20-2010 01:04:54 | More by waltonc
HopHead84

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

2/13/2010

Dark reddish brown with a frothy beige head.

Oaky and tannic, the nose is a blend of lightly tart and slightly sweet cherries and grapes. It's slightly acetic with a light lactic quality. A dash of vanilla is detectable.

The flavor is sweet and tart with notes of cherries and grapes and a solid malt foundation. There's a nice oak presence, and light tannins are evident, as well as a moderate acetic quality. The sweet and the tart balance each other nicely. A light lactic sourness is evident near the end. Alcohol is undetectable.

This is not among my favorite styles, but this is a great representation of the style. I split the bottle with another person and it went down very easy. Recommended.

02-14-2010 05:49:31 | More by HopHead84
KeefD

3.58/5  rDev -16.4%

Review from tasting notes taken last night:

Dark amber, reddish-brown inch high tan head, light lace. Earthy aroma, light brown sugar, hint of sourness, alcohol comes out with warmth. Flavor has some light tart cherry, brown sugar again in the back end, well balanced between the sweet and the sour. Some light red grape flavors comes up on the dry, earthy finish. Was really hoping for some more sour, but didn't get it. Nice mouthfeel, carbonation is perfect, not too bubbly, not too mild. Very good example of the style. Had this next to a Rodenbach Grand Cru, and the Rodey won hands down. Good beer, but not as good as I was suspecting. Maybe needs a few months on it before it peaks.

Thanks to Skuter for the bottle.

02-14-2010 05:40:07 | More by KeefD
MiScusi

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Bottled shared by JessetheHutt and JRhode. thanks guys!

This was a treat. Pours with a lightly dense finger thick foam cap. Body is like a reddish-brown. My notes say it smelled of cherry and wood. The taste was tart (shocker!), with an overall sour cherry flavor and wood tannins. That's all I wrote down as I was losing my focus by this time.

02-12-2010 00:15:35 | More by MiScusi
GbVDave

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet. Incredible thanks to route66pubs for this right out of nowhere!

A: Pours a perfectly murky, caramel brown with a definite reddish tint. Capping this is a creamy, one finger, khaki colored head that sat up top and fizzed for a while before settling down to a smooth and mellow skim and ring. Carbonation is pretty active and lace was of the ropey/splotchy variety.

S: Excellent nose on this! Aromas of tart cherry, green apple, wood, old leather belt, vinegar, spicy dark fruit, and black cherry. I also picked up a "wool sweater" smell!

T: Right off the bat, there's an awesome combination of both tart cherry and sweet and spicy black cherry. This is followed by a lot of the stuff mentioned above. Leather, green apple, vinegar, and oak are joined by tart red grape, spices, tangy berry, and bitter citrus. Floating underneath all of this is a layer of sweetness that binds and compliments everything happening here. Masterful!

M: It's easy for a tart/sour beer to come off feeling thin and watery. This, on the other hand, is full and rich and actually quite sticky and chewy. Tart with spices and sweet, it doesn't get much better.

D: An almost perfect sour beer. It has a little something for everyone. Tart, sweet, spicy, winey, citrus, and oak. Whew! Incredible!

02-09-2010 00:57:02 | More by GbVDave
younger35

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Received this brew from zestar and have been pretty eager to try this bad boy. I enjoy The Bruery's beers quite a bit and hopefully this doesn't disappoint. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip while watching the Superbowl. Go Colts!

Appearance- Pours a dark crimson brown with a super nice one finger fizzy off-white head. A fairly decent cap and collar is maintained the entire beer but unfortunately no lacing is able to cling to my glass.
Smell- Nice vinegar like tartness just bursts out of the glass. If I didn't know better I'd say it was aged on sour cherry's because it has a nice fruity aspect. Lots of tart green apples and white grapes as there is almost a wine like side to the nose as well. It's fairly earthy as well with some tobacco and toasted wood mixed in for good measure.
Taste- Oh that's all sorts of nice. It's lightly sour with a red wine vinegar aspect as well as plenty of earthy wood and leather. A nice fruity side of the beer is apparent right away with some of that cherry I got in the nose along with rhubarb and green apples. Definitely a bit of funk in the taste as there is a bit of leather and mushroom. The wood is lightly tannic and woody with hints of vanilla and caramel in the finish. The beer isn't boozy or too acidic either. It all works really nice together.
Mouthfeel- Medium to light body with a nice crisp bite of carbonation. I could use just a hair more body.
Drinkability- Pretty damned tasty stuff and EXACTLY what I was hoping it would be. The beer has a nice solid base and the perfect level of sour. Really tasty brew that I'm glad to have the opportunity to try. Thanks much Jeff!

02-07-2010 23:47:03 | More by younger35
hayesez

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

A good friend of mine is acting as my "trustee" for the next year, as I live nearly 2000 miles east of The Bruery. He was able to pick me up a few bottles of Oude Tart at the first Reserve Society party.

Poured into a large snifter and shared with my wife. Pours a dark brown with a tan three-finger head that was long gone, save for a few surface splotches of foam, by the time I finished by brew. Very little lacing was left behind. Remember those old hard candies that were in the shape of the root beer barrel? As I neared the end of my beer, I realized that the color of those barrels is the exact color of this beer...

Aroma of this guy definitely has the funkiness to it. Tart apples and a bit of red wine mix in there as well.

Tastes of the same funkiness with the same tart. I was anticipating a bit more sour fruit in there, but didn't catch that as much...the sour, yes...but the fruit, not so much. Starts off with a quick kick of sweet before moving straight into the sour...which I do enjoy! Does have some of the vinous qualities that the nose indicates. Fairly thick for the style as well...I like it.

I enjoyed this guy. I'm trying to get my wife hooked on the style, and she is very hit more miss with it (which is understandable). She has thoroughly enjoyed some (Temptation especially), but this one missed for her. However, I was impressed. While not quite on par with the big boys, I really did enjoy the complexity of this one. As I still work on my palate for this style of beer, I recognize that I'm missing some flavors in there...but there is a lot going on. I'll be saving a few bottles to try again down the road. The Bruery continues to push the craft, and I love it.

Consumed: 2/6/2010

02-07-2010 05:56:01 | More by hayesez
jrallen34

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into my Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours a medium brown with ruby red highlights. The head is light tan, rising a finger but is gone pretty quickly. The lacing is light. There are some dark floaties at the bottom.

The aroma is light in strength but has a nice sour vinegar feel. At the end it starts to sting the nose, in a nice way.

The taste is pretty light decent vinegar, a little super sour at the end.

The feel is nice, leaves your pretty dry, very drinkable.

Overall, a pretty nice a oud bruin.

02-05-2010 03:48:52 | More by jrallen34
bret27

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

bottle from bulletrain76

S: woody, vanilla, grapefruity, vinegar, tart

A: Ruby brn, hazy, minimal but fluffy white head

T: woody, grapefruit juice, little bit of vinegar

M/D: good mouthfeel, crisp, and very dry.

Overall: Nice, refreshing and tart. Not too sour. Seems balanced and a good example of the style.

01-31-2010 07:16:39 | More by bret27
illidurit

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle courtesy Sam. Pours a cloudy murky mahogany with a frothy tan head. Aroma is green apples with brown sugar and caramel, similar to La Folie. Flavor is very oaky and tart with apple pie, crabapple skins, a bit of cherry juice, jammy red wine. 7.5% alcohol gives it a warming sensation. Mouthfeel is kind of sticky, despite the sufficient carbonation.

01-30-2010 21:25:37 | More by illidurit
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Apparently I ended up being the first person outside of of Cali to review this one. ig thanks to my trustee for getting to me quickly. I sit here and pour it into a 6oz snifter wearing my new bruery hoodie as its friggin 15 outside! Consumed on 01/26/2010.

The pour is nearly perfect and for the style it was hard for me to ask for anything more. Dark garnet in color with a nice head of white that reached a height of at least an inch before slowly, and effortlessly settling down into a thin veil that covered the entire top of the glass. Nice side glass lacing then creeps in, clogging it up and really showing off some nice depth. Aroma is funky, red wine, vinegar, hints of cherries and sour apples are all readily present and showing their true colors from the very first notes that hit the air. Warming almost brings out a slight sweetness to the tart cherries but it short lived as the barnyard funk returns for an encore.

I take the first sip and it is exactly what I would have imagined it taste like. Tart cherries, light touches of oak, hints of funk and a deep, vinegar flavor that seals it in perfectly. Incredibly complex and sour, it has been a long time since I have had a flanders this good. Warming brings that light touch of tart, almost spice to the cherries before getting smacked around and thrown to the wolves with the vinegar sour funk. Simply stunning.

Overall this was just what it was supposed to be. It is truly a breath of fresh air what the Bruery is doing. So far so good. everything has lived up to and exceed my expectations.

01-27-2010 01:33:48 | More by mikesgroove
bulletrain76

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Draugh at the bruery. Red-brown with a big beige head. Oaky, tart, fruity aroma with some vinegar and burnt fig. The wine barrel influence really sets this appart from gypsey tart, and the sourness is about perfect, making it very drinkable but clean and dry in the finish while having a nIce malt character up front. A little mellow for a top-tier American sour ale, but the flavor complexity is there. Killer with food.

01-26-2010 06:26:21 | More by bulletrain76
weirdboy

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Got my first taste of this last week during the bottle release party.

Appearance: A sort of murky reddish-brown color with a dense, thin off-white head that just sticks around. Excellent lacing on the glass. Quite effervescent.

Aroma: Smells like sour cherries, oak, and maybe a little musty.

Flavor: Wow! They really hit the nail on the head with this one. Fairly strong cherry flavor with a pervasive oak background. Somewhat reminiscent of a Kriek.

Mouthfeel: Very effervescent/acid on the front of the tongue that just becomes so smooth in the middle. It finishes very dry, but just makes me want to drink more.

Drinkability: This is by far the easiest drinking sour I've ever had. I could drink this all day...well, until I pass out, anyway.

01-24-2010 18:00:19 | More by weirdboy
vince4953529

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

750 ml bottle purchased straight from the brewery (or bruery) the first day after it was for sale to the public.

Very impressed by the taste and the mouthfeel. It was sour, not in an over-the-top way, but balanced and cherry-ish way. The drinkability was off the chart, as I've found for most sour beers. Before you know it the whole bottle was empty.

If not for the relatively high price tag and abv, I'll drink this like I'm drinking water.

01-24-2010 09:09:48 | More by vince4953529
davod23

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured on tap (several times) at the Bruery Reserve Society initiation. Very excited for this one, as I am a huge fan of the Bruery, and this is one of my very favorite beer styles (with a caveat, below).

Appearance is a fairly dark, slightly murky, reddish-brown color. Although the head is not terribly substantial, it is remarkably long-lasting. Carbonation is strong here.

Smell - the unmistakable smell of a Flanders ale. Vinegar, oak, tart cherry, with a slight, but noticeable candy sweetness. This is very good.

Ah, this tastes divine. It follows the nose, but is perhaps more robust than I believed it would be. Big tart cherry, slight woodiness, with a sour vinegar kick. There may be an element of other fruit as well - I think figs - but it's only a trace. I may be wrong. The beer is not a massive, mouth-puckeringly sour beer. Nicely tart. Excellent.

Mouthfeel is only good-ish. It didn't detract from my enjoyment much, or really at all, but I did think that the carbonation was just a bit too vigorous. Of course, that smooths out with a few minutes in the glass, so meh, not such a huge deal. I wonder if the bottled version will be as carbonated as on-tap.

Drinkability is fantastic. I need more of this beer, so that I may chug it by the gallon. OK, not really - but I don't envision there being a problem with finishing a 750ml by myself.

One thing that bugs me. The Bruery classifies this as a Flanders Red. However, The Dissident, by Deschutes, seems to me to be a close sister of Oude Tart - and they class it as a Flanders Oud Bruin. It seems to me that either the line between these two styles of beer is minimal or nonexistent, the brewers aren't following the same style guidelines, or alternatively, my palate blows goats. And I don't know which is the case. I need to find another bottle of Dissident so I can do a side-by-side comparison.

EDIT: Patrick BMed me with some helpful information that has resolved my question re: Flanders Red vs. Oud Bruin. Methinks there are a few reds that are currently misclassified.

01-22-2010 22:31:27 | More by davod23
Schmaltzy

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Tasted at Bruery Reserve Society celebration, poured into wine tasting glass.

A- Very nice brown/red color with nice reddish color around the edge of the glass, nice 1/2-1 finger off white head and nice lacing.

S- Great smells of sour cherries, heavy acidity from the 18 months of wine barrel aging, nice almost leather and oak scents.

T- Heavy cherry flavor with nice acidity that is not over the top, cherries taste almost sweet then overpowered by sour cherries, really nice vinous oaky finish, again with a hint of leather in the finish.

M- Nice amount of carbonation to go along with the acidity, nice medium body beer that is very easy to drink almost didn't notice it had alcohol in it.

D- Seriously delicious, not a huge fan of Flanders style but this is really good and very easy to drink.

This was the first release for 2010 for the Bruery and I was greatly impressed. This was one of the first beers made by Tyler and the Bruery gang and it has been aging in the red wine barrels for 18 months, so far a great start to 2010 with the release of this delicious beer.

01-20-2010 18:51:27 | More by Schmaltzy
nickd717

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

On tap at the Bruery Reserve Society Initiation.

Pours a slightly translucent reddish-brown color with a large, lasting beige head.

Aroma is fruity and tart, lots of cherries as well as some oak.

Flavor is cherries, oak, red wine, and vinegar. Pretty tasty.

Medium-bodied with only mild acidity and good carbonation level.

High drinkability. Overall a great Flemish red. Not quite Top 100 level as the current rAvg puts it, but very good.

01-20-2010 00:45:40 | More by nickd717
gregmoscetti

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

ahh the Bruery. If anyone tales you lightly in the year 2010, they are just effing high... You have the ability to over perform so consistently in everything you do and this baby right here was no exception.

This most recent release is no different than most of the bruery's recent ventures... freaking dope. The only place I really struggled was in not comparing it to other sours of a similar vein and price tag. If you charge the same amount as a bottle of Consecration, my frugal, 25 year old brain will immediately compare you to it.

The dark cherry was the standout nose, followed closely by oak. The taste was a very similar story and the dry cabernet-esque taste almost vaporized on the back end of the palate (nice). In a blind taste test I dont know if I could tell this beer from LaFolie, which is by no means an insult... I love the hell out of that beer. I just really hoped for a characteristic to grab me by the booboo

01-18-2010 07:04:34 | More by gregmoscetti
Halcyondays

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

On-tap at The Bruery,

A: Pours burgundy red with a light off-white head, pretty good retention.

S: Classic Flanders sour, Rodenbachy, heavy acidity, berries, cherries and oak.

T: Morello cherries and vibrant acidity, good mix of sweet and sour, though lends itself more to the sour end which I prefer. Definite oak backbone and some red currant notes in there as well. Gouda cheese in the finish.

M: Very nice acidity, sharp, but not over the top. Spritzy carbonation mixed with the acid gives a nice effect. Easy to drink, you'd never know it was 7.5%. The structure is impeccable, if a tad overcarbonated is it's only flaw, and I mean a tad, this isn't some gushing frothy Belgian.

D: Outstanding, The Bruery's made another great sour. More classic and traditional in flavour than the Sour in the Rye which was great in itself, a beer to give Rodenbach Grand Cru a run for its money.

01-18-2010 04:58:40 | More by Halcyondays
womencantsail

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

On-tap at The Bruery

A: The pour is a murky brown-red color with a thin layer of off-white foam with nice retention.

S: The usual Flanders red/brown ale nose on this. Slight vinegar with a nice balance of sweet malt. There is also a fair amount of cherry aroma with a touch of oak.

T: The flavors follow the nose, for the most part. A nice tart cherry and mild acetic flavor to provide the trademark sourness. The sweet malt and oak offer a nice counterpoint to the beer.

M: The body is medium with a very effervescent feel on the tongue.

D: A very nice example of a Flanders red/brown ale. Some people compared it to Rodenbach Grand Cru, but I found it to be a little less oaky and vinous, and a bit more drinkable. I plan to drink these bottles fairly soon as they taste wonderful now.

01-18-2010 03:34:09 | More by womencantsail
DoubleJ

4.58/5  rDev +7%

On-tap at The Bruery, on to the beer:

It's violet red in color. Not much of a head on this one, but not much was expected for this style. A whiff of the aroma and you know that those 18 months in barrels did this beer good. Tart and oakey at the same time, intense and dreamy.

In taste, it is light on the acid. More woody and oakey than anything, but still moderately tart. Some tart strawberry crawls out. A well balanced tart ale. The long lingering aftertaste of tart berries is extremly pleasant and very difficult to let go of. Like the other sours from The Bruery, it is very easy to drink.

Yum. That is all.

01-18-2010 03:01:03 | More by DoubleJ
dbONE

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a stemmed glass from Patrick himself.
Just a shade over the temp of the warehouse pours nicley into the glass with a light head that says on as a ring as you drink your way through the brown goodness to the bottom of the glass.
The nose is a touch sour and a touch sweet with hints of caramel. Think Rodenbach and Flemish Primitive.
Sipping this one puts the curse on the sides of the jaw with the sourness but fades to a smooth sweetness. This one plays with the palette by leaving some tartness behind on the finish.
A year and a half in the making, well worth it.
By far the best thing to come out of this place.

01-16-2010 00:18:28 | More by dbONE