Oude Tart - The Bruery

Oude TartOude Tart

The Bruery visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Oude Tart is our take on a Flanders Style red ale. It has won back to back gold medals in that category at the World Beer Cup (2010 & 2012) as well as a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival in 2010. This sour red ale ages in oak barrels for anywhere from 6 to 18 months before being carefully blended to taste. The resulting beer is pleasantly sour with hints of leather, dark fruit and toasty oak.

(Beer added by: Overlord on 12-20-2009)

Willcourt, Feb 04, 2013

Gaspar_EricMartin, Sep 21, 2014

pinto1993, Sep 14, 2012
1.15/5  rDev -73.1%

Upon pouring the beer, it looks like you might expect from the description. It has a dark amber color, without much carbonation, which leads you to an initial thought of, "this might be an OK beer."

Then you smell it. It smells a little old and stale, like a leftover solo cup from the night before. It has hints of sulfur (closest smell I could think of would be a sewage plant), and astringency (like a really tart green apple). Now I'm thinking, this had better at least taste OK.

The taste is not good. It has a very sharp bite up front and finishes very flat. It reminds me of cranberries and crab apples. There were four of us tasting it, and none of us could even finish 3 or 4 oz. WE POURED IT OUT!

If this had been a $5 bottle I wouldn't have minded so much, but this is a $20 bottle of beer! Do not waste your money! It is definitely not worth it.

BPRichar, Dec 30, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -70.8%

Jrdonohue10, Jul 01, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -65%

Appearance: Amber color, looks like hundreds of other beers.

Smell: Vinegar. I'm a chef, I don't smoke, I drink tons of different fantastic beers make and eat lots and lots of great food... and drink lots of sour beers. This beer smells astringent, vinegary, and... wrong.

Taste: 5 of us drank this together out of different glasses, passing them around. None of us made it past five sips, we all poured it down the toilet. more than half the bottle is left. The worst. If you pay $20 dollars for this, you WILL be mad... unless you're delusional.

Overall: Please, PLEASE don't buy this beer. I'm not trolling in any way.

Also, I really like sour beers.

How can I be constructive if a product makes me this sad?

YogiBeer, Dec 12, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -65%

Jamison85, Feb 05, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -59.1%

Lochnessmonster, Mar 28, 2014
1.95/5  rDev -54.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.5

I need to preface this by saying that I think this is the beer that convinced me I'm just not a fan of the Flanders style. Apologies if I come off as intentionally scathing or uninformed.

A: Thick and muddy reddish brown. Just barely opaque with some delicate lacing on the glass.

S: Funky as hell. Worcester sauce, anise, charcoal, and cough syrup. A lot of my least favorite things swirling in here...

T: Meaty and disjointed. Overpowering citrus and bitters. Black licorice is pretty strong.

MF: Fizzy and thin. Honestly, I couldn't keep it in my mouth for long.

O: I taste a lot of elements in this beer that clamor for my attention (the bitterness, the acidity, etc), and the result is a bitter mess that's really difficult to enjoy. Fans of the brewing style might taste something that I just don't understand, but Oude Tart and I don't have a common ground.

The_Kings_Quart, Sep 20, 2012

CA_Jim, Sep 09, 2014

gpleiss, Jun 03, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -47.4%

kdb150, May 10, 2013
2.35/5  rDev -45.1%

This is the 2011 batch thanks to Janderson91, appreciate it. I was hopeful about this beer and was completely disappointed. Dark red-brown color, no head, almost completely flat. Smells like it might be a good sour flanders red, not bad but nothign that makes me say yum either. The taste was so disappointing, I almost want to say bland, Muted flavors, just the hint of what a flanders red tastes like. Wow, I really expected more since I know the Bruery can make a good beer, I hope it was just an off bottle because this was pathetic.

ArrogantB, Nov 12, 2011

klipper, Nov 04, 2012

leodarko, Mar 03, 2012

ChooChooBacca, Dec 13, 2013
2.98/5  rDev -30.4%

750ml bottle into a wide flute, 2012 vintage

A: Pours a muddy brown with not quite a finger of head that quickly recedes to a ring. Certainly not the prettiest beer I've ever seen.

S: Intense and complex. The beer starts out with sour cherries up front balanced by caramel and bourbon. I get lots of dark fruit - plum and raisin as well as leather.

T: Lactic and acetic acid are followed quickly by plum, leather, and tobacco. Sour cherries are there, but not nearly as strong as in the aroma. The acetic nature of this beer is a bit strong for me. I get some spicy oak in the finish as well.

M: A bit thin and undercarbonated.

O: This beer smells amazing - so complex. The flavor does not quite live up to the aroma, though. I remember this tasting better in past years, too.

coreyfmcdonald, Dec 01, 2012