Melange No. Sechs - The Bruery

Melange No. Sechs
No picture uploaded.

The Bruery visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-13-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by MrFootstones:

4.33/5  rDev +27%

Thanks to bman1113vr for sharing this growler.

Pours a pinkish orange with a white/pink head. Very interesting looking. The aroma is extremely complex, with different things coming forward each time I take a smell. Some of the aromas I identified were peanuts, roses, oak, whiskey and peaches. The flavor is just as complex, if not more. The same components from the aroma are present - peanuts, raspberry, roses, peach, chocolate, vanilla and oak. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A great beer.

Growler sent over by newbalance211.

Pours a hazy dark pink color with a half-finger lighter pink head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of floral notes, mildly sweet malts with hints of chocolate, and indistinct vegetal and light fruit aromas. As it warms hints of grassiness enter into things as well.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Sweet and light malt flavors up front with some vegetal heft kick things off. Midway through the sip the malt flavors darken a bit and hints of dark fruit flavors also join in, carrying through to a muddled ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more, if for no other reason than trying to distinguish the flavors.

Overall I have to say I'm impressed that the Bruery was able to include all the ingredients listed for this beer and make something that was this drinkable. Worth a shot.

2.7/5  rDev -20.8%

I generally had an overall revulsion to this one. It had a theme to it that overall reminded me of overcooked vegetables. Being a bit of a foodie aside from being a beerie, things can be overcooked to the point of being unpleasant. Fresher is usually better, as a general rule. I won't say it was awful, but the swampiness needed to be re-tuned, in my opinion. Perhaps the swampiness could be more "earthy."

I had this in a Bruery tulip glass, as usual. The color was vivid, and definitely beety. More on "beety" later. Anyway, I thought the color looked a little artificial, too vibrant, but you can't judge a book by its cover.

The aroma was very old-lady. Lots of "flowers" and rose petal, I presume. It was overall really vegetal. I would call it half overcooked vegetables, and half potpourri.

The taste was a tad sour, and very much overboiled vegetable soup. The flavors were complex, and interesting, I suppose, but not for me. It was very dark and muddled, like a beet boiled in old potpourri eluent.

The mouthfeel also carried that overboiled vegetables theme, and it caused the carbonation to sort of curdle in my mouth.

I would drink this once a year on valentines. I commend the Rue's for their gallant effort, but it was not for me. The best thing about it was probably the color of the beets. I'd like to see their next attempt at this experiment.

3.35/5  rDev -1.8%

This is an interesting beer. I was expecting it to be really red when I heard about it but it's not really. It poured an amberish red with some orange hues.

Aroma smells of almost some Brett funk at first with some sourness. Really interesting smell. Lots of Belgian yeast as well.

In the taste you don't get any sourness or funk but you get alot of Belgian yeastiness with some interesing flavors. You can taste the beets which I don't really like. Some alcohol burn in the throat.

Mouthfeel is good. A little viscous for my taste.

Overall I can't really finish my entire pint. I'm going to have to choke it down because it's very different. It was good at first but then it just gets to be too much.

3.55/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap @ The Bruery (Placentia, CA) on 3/19/10. Served in a tulip glass.

Pours a deep ruddy amber, with a thin covering of pink-tinted white head. This stays very rich and frothy in the glass, leaving lots of heavy spotty froth down the sides of the glass. Just a really nice look here. The aroma is floral, spicy, and fruity smelling, with notes of cocoa and vanilla. There is also an almost earthy and oaky vinous feel to the nose. It's actually all a bit too muddled and the sting of warmth in the nostrils doesn't really help any either.

The taste is tart fruit, chocolate, vanilla, and some extra sugary malts, which lay a mellow sweetness across the tongue. That vinous feel from the aroma is coming out, this time though with an earthy and raw veggie flavor that I'm assuming is coming from the beets. Luckily, this stays in the background for the most part, letting the sweetness control the majority of the profile. Pretty parched finish on this overall, that coats the mouth with warmth and dryness. The mouthfeel is medium-fuller bodied, with an EXTREMELY soft and mellow feel to the carbonation that helps keep the above average amount of warmth in the body in check. VERY easy body on this for the size and was probably my single favorite feature of this beer.

Don't get me wrong, I love the creativity and inspiration that go into these Bruery beers but this one had a bit too much going on with it. Not necessarily anything absolutely unpleasant going on with the flavors but this just came off as too muddled and schizophrenic at times. Interesting for sure but I was good after one glass.

3.93/5  rDev +15.2%

Part of my reserve society benefits. A growler to enjoy last evening. Killed about half of it in taster glasses, consumed on 2/23/2010.

The pour was intresting to say the least. Odd pink color with a huge foamy head of light pink that sits on top to a height of at least three inches. Tons of side lacing coming down and a very clouded over and hazy look to it. I really liked it though and the look alone kept me coming back for more.

The aroma was pungent chocolate and beets. Warming brings up touches of spice, light earthy notes, and a hint of booze. First sips are light, biting flavor of vegatables and sweet sugary notes. Cocoa comes in mid palate along with a hint of raspberry like fruit notes. Warming really brings out the beets and fruity yeast notes. Intresting blend of flavors here that at times hides the alcohol but at others does not. It was good for the first few glasses but started to drain after a while.

Overall it was very good but was a little much to have multiple glasses of. Still should be commended for a great and very different beer.

3.88/5  rDev +13.8%

The infamous beet beer... far better than I anticipated. In fact, I approached with a sense of dread, afraid of what I might find when I put lip to glass...

What I found was a beet red (har!) brew (ok, maybe a bit more pink0, with a great creamy head. Color was a bit... off-putting, but the gorgeous head made up for it in the score. Earthy and chocolate-y on the nose, the palate is rich and full. The beet is firmly present, filling out a creamy body with a back palate sweetness that elevates the chocolate and some freshly baked cake notes. Drying, despite it.

A bit odd, not something I'd want more than a small pour of, and I see why those earthy notes are so scary and off-putting... but I kinda dug it. It's a bold stab at a beer, and much tastier than some of their other, stranger concoctions.

3.48/5  rDev +2.1%

On tap at The Bruery

A - Pours a beautiful dense pinkish red color, great coloring for Valentines day. Fluffy white head with almost no lacing.

S - Smells of veggies and sugars.

T - Interesting taste here. Earthy, oaky and to me a nice little finish of flowers (probably the Rose Petals).

M - The mouthfeel wasn't really there, it was kind of thick with minimal carbonation.

D - One glass is enough for me. Interesting and experimental for sure! It was not a bad beer by any means, but I just hope I can find a large group of people to share this growler with.

3.13/5  rDev -8.2%

On-tap at the Bruery

A: The pour is a cloudy reddish-pink color with a very fluffy pinkish-white colored head.

S: The nose is incredibly floral due to the rose petals included in the beer. There's a slight oakiness, but not much. There's also some sweet, sugary aroma as well.

T: The flavor is quite a melange indeed! There is a definite sweetness to the beer, and at times it's a touch sugary (probably due to the beets). The floral component once again really comes through, but there's not much in terms of the barrel aged Rugbrod and White Oak.

M: The body is medium with a fairly high level of carbonation.

D: This is certainly an "interesting" beer, but I don't know if I'd really want to try this one again. I think it could have been much better if there was less of the beet/rose beer in the blend.

3.9/5  rDev +14.4%

250th review on BA
Not sure if was ontap and then into a pitcher or bottle to pitcher or cask to pitcher.

App- Poured a hazy medium amber with a nice one finger head to it. Had a fair amount of lacing on it.

Smell- Was a very candy like smell with a lot of sweetness.

Taste- Its quite a different tasting beer with the fruit/veggie aspect of the beets in it. You get a smooth vanilla with a little bit of caramel for the sweetness and then some malt and the rye to add to a nice if not different flavor.

Mouth- Its on the border of being medium bodied to me but ill say its a soft body and quite delicate on the palate. The after taste is a bit odd but I can't knock it really.

Drink- It's a tasty beer with some quite different flavors. I enjoyed but wouldn't order it again.

3.55/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a cloudy reddish/orange color with a thick frothy white head with some red highlights. The aroma is good. It has a very fruity scent that highlights the Belgian yeast and rose petals. It's spicy with some peppery character. The taste is decent. It has a muddled array of flavors going on. It's sweet with crystal malts and coco nibs, yet spicy with a fruity finish. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This was a unique beer. I'm not sure it's a great beer, but I'm grateful for having the opportunity to try it.

3.45/5  rDev +1.2%

Enjoyed on tap at the Bruery tasting room. Made with rose petals, beets and cocoa nibs, according to a nearby sign. Interesting ingredients.

Looks: cool. The color is a badass rose/orange/auburn hue that shifts at different angles. Zero head, zero ring.

Smells: vegetal. Vanilla, roses, strawberries and an odd mustiness in the back. Perhaps it's the beets?

Tastes: super light. The flavor is delicate, but what's there is strange: tangy beets, roses and pencil shavings.

Feels: lightly carbonated, with a smooth, medium body.

Drinks: like an oddity. Once I zeroed in on the flavor of pencils, it was hard to get past it. Not bad; just not something I would try again.

3.98/5  rDev +16.7%

On tap at Woodshop 5.0. Pours a weird pinkish brownish orange color with a nice creamy beige head. Aroma is perfumey and and unique, lots of sweet berry-like notes and the rose petals -- which I didn't realize were used in the making of this beer when I drank it -- are obvious. I get some of the esters from the White Oak and a slight dusty earthy quality. Flavor is red fruity with vanilla and sweet bourbon notes and no alcohol presence. almost inexplicable but somehow good. Very drinkable.

2.95/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

On-tap at the Bruery. A beer brewed with beets, then blended with White Oak and aged Rugbrod, plus rose pedals and cocoa nibs. Sounds like a full course meal! On to the beer:

It looks like "all natural" raspberry juice with its cloudy, red-violet color. It leaves some lacing on the glass. The aroma is pleasant. It's semi-tart, which makes it appealing to me, and a little sugary from the beets. Taste...it's strange. Dominating of sugary beets all the way through...plus a touch of White Oak and bourbon barrel. I couldn't find the rest of the blend. No question this was experimental, and I can even appreciate the effort and extra ingredients used in this beer, but the beets are a turn-off for me.

3.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - slightly murky brownish red with a large, short lived, tannish head. Little lacing.

S - sweet malts, caramel, a little bit of cocoa, and a predominant cedar-like wood aroma. Very similar to the typical Hitachino Nest brewery smell.

F/M - sweet pilsner-like malts with a light chocolaty flavor. Slight fruity esters of apples and pears. No detectable hop flavor but the bitterness is medium-low which lets a lot of the compex malty/estery flavors shine, but I think a lot of it gets muddled together. The cedar wood is slightly less detectable in the flavor.

D - good drinkability for being such a big beer. The flavors aren't too aggressive and it finishes quite clean making it a pretty easy-drinking beer; the flavors are just too weird.

3.65/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured an orange pinkish brown with a huge 3 finger head and left lots of frothy lacing sticking to the glass. The nose was quite earthy with rose pedal notes popping out alongside woody and spice notes but there also was slight caramel chocolate in the background. The taste was also really earthy consisting of some of the ingredients in the nose like rose pedals, spice, cedar wood, caramel, and chocolate like accents. I could also detect a touch of underlying vanilla as well. The brew was medium to full in body with too much carbonation which had a sweet, earthy, and spice finish. It drank pretty good but there was so much head on the beer that I had to wait 10 mins till the head settled and was drinkable. Honestly not worth the hassle cause I would only drink about 5 oz's and be done with it.

3.88/5  rDev +13.8%

Big thanks to Gregg for bringing this one to the Brick Store.

Well the pour is certainly unique on this one with a light murky reddish brown with a foamy pinkish head that sticks around for a while with little lacing.

The aroma is very sweet with honey and flowers in the first whiff. Also some sugar-coated pears and the Belgian yeast. An interesting combination.

The taste is more of the same with an interesting mix of different ingredients. It's got the sweet sugary fruit and rose petals up front but the finish is drier and spicier with the Belgian yeast showing through. Also some barrel character thrown in to add to the mix-and-match flavors.

The mouthfeel is light and fruity with a spiciness from the yeast and a bit of dryness from the barrel aging. It's also very effervescent, especially from a growler.

This is a solid and very refreshing beer that might have a bit too many different components to really come together in the end. Definitely worth trying though.

2.98/5  rDev -12.6%

Had this beer on tap at the bruery on the day it was released as well as I shared a growler 5 days later.

The appearance was still a cloudy pinkish red after 5 days in the Bruery growler. The taste however had mellowed and carbonation was still great. The beets were still very present with an overpowering effect. The starch of the beets came throught the most giving a dry, earthy mouth feel. The rose petals gave the beer a great aroma that did no match the taste at all. If the beer was judeged on aroma alone it would win me over. After smelling the empty growler I got a great deal of damp wood the was quite pleasant.

The overall impression of the beer was quite interesting. However, knowing that the beer was an experimental beer I give Tyler props for thinking outside the box and expanding our palates.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »