Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Coton - The Bruery

The Bruery visit their website

Old Ale |  14.50% ABV

Beer added by: DefenCorps on 05-22-2010

1.81/5  rDev -53.8%

A: Reddish pour that hints towards brown. The head is almost non-existant. About a pinky of off-white head that is gone before you know it.

S: Really this smell comes down to two things. Raisins and booze. I really don't get anything else. i would describe the smell as "offensive".

T: The raisins really start the taste off interestingly. Imagine if after that, you took grain alcohol and doused raisins in it, then ate the raisins. That basically describes this beer. The alcohol is SO intrusive.

MF: Not very highly carbonated. The high alcohol content really coats the tongue in an unpleasant fashion.

O: VERY disappointed with this. The bottle says it ages gracefully for decades...I should hope it tastes better than this at least.

2.17/5  rDev -44.6%

Had this beer from a growler. This beer pours a rich caramel brown color with no head and almost no carbonation. The smell is dark fruits and sweetness and that alcohol smell but it is more than just warming. The taste is pretty close to the smell sweet alcohol messy with hints of dark fruits. The mouthfeel is entirely to thick and flat. This beer is not drinkable in my opinion but maybe it is better from a bottlep

2.24/5  rDev -42.9%

Bottle purchased and shared by BeerFMAndy. Thanks for taking the bullet on this pricey hot mess. Poured fro mthe bottle into my tulip.

A: Dark cinnamon hue. A bout a finger of dirty yellow head leaves a smattering of lace.

S: Here's where the horror began to unfold. The nose is like someone dissolved a full cone of cotton candy in a bucket of straight booze. Is that why they called it "coton"? Caramel and sugar drizzled dark fruit along with hot alcohol is pretty much all you get.

T: Well on a positive note the nose didn't lead me in the wrong direction. Pretty much hot sweet sugary booze is all there is. Yuck!

M: Thick syrupy body with very light carbonation.

D: Pretty much a fail for me. Considering the cost on this one. I'm so glad I passed on this everytime I waled by it at my local shop.

2.58/5  rDev -34.2%

This beer pours a syrupy light brown in color with ruby highlights. It pours near still with almost no head. It smells of sweet brandy, sherry, sweet dark fruits, with a moderate amount of alcohol. It tastes of sweet brandy, overly sweet dark fruits, molasses, maple syrup with a light boozy finish. It drinks pretty thin and is overly sticky. It's just awkward and feels disconnected. It's just strange. I can't like this. It's over a year old and it doesn't hold a candle to Cuir. It's overall strange and just doesn't do what it should and could have. This is a miss by the Bruery.

2.69/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served from a 750ml bottle purchased from The Wine Source in Baltimore, MD into my Bruery tulip at the appropriate temperature (05/27/10).

A: Pours an oily deep orange brown with a sight cap of light tan/off-white head. Decent retention for a 14.5% beer.

S: Unlike the on-tap version, I am getting a lot of smoked meat from this aroma. Some dried fruits, caramel and toffee, but mostly the meat. Good amount of alcohol in this one.

T: Oh dear. The smoked meat has continued and this one is not pleasing at all. As much as I don't want to say it, this bottle of beer is fairly gross.

M: A full-bodied bodied beer that is quite thick and oily.

D: Not so much.

Overall this beer was a huge disappointment as I have become quite found of The Bruery. I split this bottle with a friend and both of us were unable to choke down the rest of this bottle. A couple weeks later I had this on-tap and it was a fairly different experience, but still disappointing. Some of the other people that i enjoyed this with on-tap commented that their bottles too paled in comparison to the beer on-tap.

2.71/5  rDev -30.9%

Appearance - This poured a nice chocolaty brown in color with little head as one could imagine.

Smell - This is rich, malty booze with little complexity. The fruits though are very diverse and more like a BSDA. The wood though is overpowering IMO and squashes the fruity bouquet.

Taste - The malts are sloppy and the booze overpowering. I think there are probably some terrific fruits in there but they are such a chore to find at this point I'm not going to try.

Mouthfeel - This is close to full-bodied. The alcohol isn't overly stinging but just is a raunchy, unnecessarily rough wild card that trumps everything else. Those BAs who know me can attest that I am a great fan of alcohol - hahaha - but this is just all wrong.

Drinkability - I guess I'm the odd man out because mostly the other reviews here are good but I thought this was horrible. It was off-balanced, way too much liquor, an unstructured malt base that already fell apart (why someone was saying we should age it I have no idea), and the "25% wood" was 24% too much.

2.76/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewing blind on 12/23/11 as part of a "BA barleywine" tasting. Finished a distant #6 of 6 for me.

A - Pours a murky medium brown with just a smattering of bubbles.

S - Dominated by soy and worcestershire, with a bit of saurkraut and vanilla.

T - Slightly sweet vanilla, but a very salty, soy finish. Just strange. As it warmed a bit, I got some pepper on the finish, as well as some increased tartness.

M - Full bodied with perfect carbonation.

O - I'm not sure if this bottle was infected or just not aging well, but this was not enjoyable at all. I don't think we got through half of the bottle, even after finishing everything else. It is just not something I want to come near ever again.

2.78/5  rDev -29.1%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Meantime tulip. 14.5% ABV, Bottle 03800.

A - A bit oily pouring with a hazy dark amber brown color. Coton had a loose off-white head with low retention, typical for a beer with this much alcohol. Little spots of lace are left over on the glass.

S - Dusty old basement and wood paneling with a splash of warm, solventy alcohol. It even smells old! A pinch of soy sauce coming through the aroma concerns me a little bit. Hints of very mellow fruits come through.

T - Amber malts toasted to the extreme, they borderline being burnt. Dry cocoa and some gooey caramel back up the amber malts. Light fruit esters come from the alcohol. Very old and dusty wood paneled basement with a little bit of soy sauce.

M - Medium-full bodied and sweet with a funky finish and a fairly boozy alcohol prominence. It's got a sharp bite to the back end of this beer.

D - Ugh, this beer is damn near undrinkable. I don't know what compelled me to spend almost $25 on this bottle, but I regret every cent of it. Not only is it way overpriced for what it is, (my main problem with it) it also needs a few years to reach a desirable drinkability level for how much of a hot, sweet, boozy mess it is. With the fact it's fairly fresh, I can see the soy sauce that already plagues this beer getting even worse. If you find yourself in possession of a bottle of Coton, save it for a few years before you crack it open.

Side note: The short fills in The Bruery bottles, as pointed out by Sweemzander, are getting a little annoying. Not that it'll kill the beer but with all that oxygen it makes me suspicious of prolonged aging of their beers.

2.78/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

From 6/5/10 notes. Had at SAVOR in DC.

a - Pours a dark orange-brown color with one inch of off white head.

s - Smells strongly of booze. Also smells of darek fruits, sugar, and sweet fruity malts.

t - Taste is again, lots of booze and dark fruits. Also some sweet malts and sugar again. Not too enjoyable.

m - Full body and moderate carbonation.

d - I was not a big fan of this beer, nor were the other 3 people I was with at SAVOR. I thought it was a sweet, boozy mess that was still way too hot. It's a hard 14.5% ABV and I would not want to try this again unless it was aged for a few years. After a lot of hype I thought this was very overrated.

2.85/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2010 vintage. 1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with stickered-over unbranded pry-off pressure cap and intricate appealing label art acquired at a CA bottle shop and served into an Odell stem-tulip/snifter hybrid glass in me friend's gaff in high altitude Fort Collins, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given its reputation and current 89 rating. Bottle #04167. 14.5% ABV confirmed.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to come to room temperature over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of light khaki colour. Decent creaminess and thickness. Smooth even consistency. Somewhat soft complexion. Retention is pretty decent for the ABV - about 3 minutes. No real lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a really dark opaque brown. Not vibrant or particularly appealing. No floating yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it ain't much to look at. I'm starting to have my doubts. Not unique or special. There are no egregious flaws here.

Sm: Vinous booze. Brown malts and booze. Faded fruits - maybe depleted cherries, and bourbon notes - especially vanilla. Sweet bready character. Alcohol isn't really hidden too well at all. Syrups. Musty wood (but not rich toasty oak or anything particularly pleasing).

An intimidating aroma of average strength.

T: Brown malts, marshmallow, vanilla, faint bourbon, musty wood, biscuit malt, some vinous character, faded candi sugars, fruitcake, rum/sugarcane, caramel, and raisin.

Needs far more complexity, subtlety, intricacy and nuance. The bourbon is way too tame. It's overly boozy and hot for what it is. Not a well balanced beer. Has some loose cohesion, but is far from gestalt.

Average depth and duration of flavour. Above average intensity of flavour.

No yeast character or hop character comes through.

Mf: Carbonation has left this "beer." Smooth and wet, though it has an unbecoming dryness in places. Thick as hell. A biteen syrupy. Chewy. Has a heavy body. Presence on the palate is imposing. It can fairly be called boozy and hot. Unrefreshing. Doesn't suit the flavour profile especially well.

Not oily, gushed, or astringent.

Dr: A sipper if I ever tried one, Coton is nigh but impossible to kill alone. My companion and I will likely struggle to reach the bottom of the bottle. I can't say I'm a big fan of it. Far from The Bruery's best work. I wouldn't get it again or recommend it to friends. I don't see what all the fuss is about. A pretty disappointing brew across the board.

Far from a world class old ale. More of a boozy faux-liqueur. If this is how it drinks with age, it was likely intolerable fresh.

It opens up considerably with warmth. I would've initially given it a 'C-', but it graduates to a C.

2.86/5  rDev -27%

A-pours a dark dirty and cloudy reddish brown with a good bit of light tan colored head that is pretty dense and creamy.

S-the nose is huge and sweet, tons of brown sugar, caramel, raisins, cherries, plums, notes of roasted malts and chocolate malt behind with a touch of vanilla, notes of boubon and booze in the back.

T-ouch, hot and lots of booze in the back, very sugary, caramel, sweet dark fruits like the nose, raisins, plums, cherries, chocolate malt is pretty prevalent behind, notes of vanilla with a nice roasted malt presence. again, lots of heat and booze with notes of bourbon, a little messy.

M-full bodied, syrupy and chewy, good carbonation to balance.

D-this is huge beer with lots of heat and booze in it, the flavors there are pretty solid and comes through in the nose. could be good down the road but seems to be a bit boozy and messy right now.

2.95/5  rDev -24.7%

Thanks for opening this one, Nick.

Murky amber body, almost rust-colored, with a small head that settles to a collar. Nice viscosity, this has legs like whiskey.

Smells quite fruity, prune-like, with notes of iron, mineral, molasses. A bit cloying and unrefined. Some oak and bourbon sweetness. Decent.

Tastes of prunes, molasses, mineral/iron. Rich and thick, but unlike the 100% barrel-aged version, this is fairly cloying and somewhat astringent. It might improve with a few years of age, but I wouldn't recommend opening this fresh. I don't like the prune juice flavor and the sweetness isn't nearly as palatable and smooth as the 100% barrel aged version.

3.23/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured into a snifter.

4.0 A: Murky medium brown color. One and a half fingers of creamy brownish yellow head with pretty good retention given the ABV and a decent ring of lacing.

3.5 S: Sweet toffee upfront along with carmelized sugar and molasses. Some plum and raisin fruitiness in there and bourbon gives a nice touch. However, the nose is pretty tame for the style. Booze is extremely well hidden.

3.0 T: Unlike the nose, the taste is not tame at all. There's a lot going on and in fact, too much. Cloying throughout - the molasses, toffee, and caramel gangrape the amylase in my mouth causing flem to ball up on the back of my tongue. There's just a general muddling of maltiness. The other aspects are pretty good. There's a pleasant plum, prune, raisin, currant fruitiness going on and although you can tell this is a high ABV brew, it isn't overly boozy. It's hard to say if time to mellow this out.

3.5 M: If I rated the mouthfeel on flem production, I'd give it a 1.0. If I rated it on smoothness and creaminess, I'd give it a 4.5. Thus, I'm compromising at 3.5. Really nice mouthfeel, but needing to spit out the residual sugar balls constantly kinda sucks. Warming throughout and especially on finish.

3.0 D: If I factored in the price, I'd give the drinkability a 1.5, but I don't do that. This is a resonable attempt at a great big olde ale, but it just didn't work in practice. Maybe it needs time, but there are plenty of other olde ales that don't. The taste is average, the mouthfeel is great, but the cloying-ness needs to be minimized.

3.26/5  rDev -16.8%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a red-brown, with a soft off-white head, good retention and nice lace.

S: Dark fruit, booze and rum soaked prunes and raisins, brown sugar.

T: Heavy on the dark fruit and Belgian character. The beer is incredibly boozy and raw, Virgin Papier was but the flavours were more integrated, this one is a bit all over the place. Nice flavours of nuts/pecans/Brazil nuts in the finish which I liked with some oak notes.

M: Medium/full bodied, there is some thinness on the palate, some EtOH on the finish/burn.

D: This beer is extremely young, a beer that needs to be put away until 2020 to be truly drinkable and complex.

Edit 10/3/10, I got to revisit this beer at The Bruery provisions store. The heat has died down considerably, the fruitiness has come out and more to the forefront, a lot tastier. I'm pleased with the amount of improvement this beer has had in only 5 months.

3.3/5  rDev -15.8%

A - deep amber mocha colored head laces out very thin

S - fig, rasin, pear, big alcohol small

T - just like the smell there is a big alcohol taste, fig, oak, taste like a bourbon with fig mixed in

M - bourdon burn

D - its ok only the alcohol burn numbs the taste buds pretty quick

3.32/5  rDev -15.3%

Date Drunk: 12/31/10

70mL into pint glass

Bottle #07214 which was purchased for a whooping $22.99, decided I would treat myself for Christmas with a nice single bottle. The smell is that of raisins, butterscotch, belgian yeast, and semi sweet chocolate. The taste is of tobacco, malt, rye, heavy bourbon, belgian yeast, and caramel with a slight vinegar finish. I don't notice the 14.5% ABV until the beer reaches my stomach, which in turns gets warm. Beer would be much better aged.

3.32/5  rDev -15.3%

I've been holding on to this guy for almost a year now I guess, and I figured I'd pop it open.

Pour is a russet-brown-red with some burnt orange highlights to it. Little head to speak of, but looks like an old ale to me I guess.

Nose is pretty interesting--big plums, raisins, toasted bread, all on top of a subtle bourbon note.

Flavor is really robust--full of dark fruit with a big malty sweetness. It's boozy, though. And the sweetness. I know people like some of these big malty beers, but I swear this is like diabetes in a bottle.

Feel is a bit thin, though considering the ABV that makes sense.

Overall, I was disappointed in this beer for the $20 I paid for it. It's a big sweet boozy beer--it's not bad because it tasted awful or anything, it's bad because it's nearly impossible to drink due to the ABV and the sweetness.

3.36/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured into a tulip. This one pours very dark brown with about a finger of creamy looking light tan head.

This one smells kind of leathery; almost kind of salty. A little bit medicinal which I feel is somewhat common for old ales, but it is my least favorite aroma. A little bit fruity though with some cocoa in the background. The fruity and rich with some notes of toffee and hints of chocolate. The taste also has a bit of nuttiness to it.

The body is full and the carbonation is soft. This one is a bit warm on the tongue and burning going down. Overall this is tasty. Seems like it could still mellow out a bit though.

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 750ml bottle.
Bottle: 6369

Pours a murky and muddy mahogany color with soem orange amber edges. There is a thin quarter inch head that forms that is light tan and recedes fairly quickly.

Aroma starts off with some slight sour or maybe briny notes, some leather and tobacco notes as well. There is some sweetness in the back and some Bourbon as well. Slight honey notes. There is some toffee and molasses notes but that briny note kind of turns me off a bit.

Flavor starts off with some dark fruits. Prunes and some nice molasses and toffee sweetness. There is some leathery notes as well in the flavor but these are less noticeable in the taste. Sweet notes of bourbon as well with some slight oaky notes as well. Mouthfeel is smooth and oily with lower carbonation.

OK Old Ale. not my favorite out there and The Bruery has some better ones out there. Still its a tasty.

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Thanks to hoppymcgee for this bottle from The Bruery. It's officially Old Ale night here in Eagan, MN. Bottle #1364.

The pour out of the distinctive bottle flat, clay-brown with scatterings of ruby. Smell is subtle for a partially barrel-aged offering, big oak ups, spare barrel, warm & fruity.

Coton tosses off the slavery-chains of style & runs screaming "freeedom!" into the bushes. Fruit & light spices are not what I think when I think "Old", but that's what's in the fore here. Allspice & a mix of fresh garden herbs are tossed with a handful of sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup; what a weird mix. Bourbon licks the whole mess with a gentle tongue. Fleeting rum, toffee, alcohol. On the downslope, an almost blue Nyquilesque ending. Mixed with an herb garden. Frickin' bizarre.

Heavy, flat beer without much evident or tasted carbonation. Weighs like a small piece of quartz in the belly. Drinkable? Well, no. It's not.

One of the top ten strangest beers I've ever tasted, & I change my mind almost with each sip. Good! Weird. Really good! Ewwww. Nice! What the hell? Schizo of a brew. Glad I tried it.

3.47/5  rDev -11.5%

750 bottle into an Orval glass...The beer pours a medium clearish brown with amber highlights, very little carbonation...The aroma is light but smells like a quad, malty caramel and dark fruits, light vanilla and bourbon a little alcohol. Its really nice...The taste isn't as complex, very alcoholic. Light vanilla and bourbon. Light hoppy finish reminds me of a bw. Quad in the aroma, bw in taste. Its ok, nothing special. The feel is super light. Drinkability is ok.

3.51/5  rDev -10.5%

Brown pour, good tan head. Little bit of retention for it, but at this alcohol level. . .

Extremely boozy aroma. And wood. Jeez, its like you're sniffin a barrel of grain alcohol.

Taste, very warming, a hodgepodge of flavors from soaked oak, vanilla, caramel (thick), toffee. I don't get a discernable fruit presence in this one. Gonna hold onto my bottle, let it age a ways. This is one brutal beer in terms of a challenge to your palate. Its hot, its complex, its not likely to make a lot of friends. But it is appreciable on some levels, and I think it could improve with years on it, and you can definitely age this one for years and years based on my impressions. Not my favorite Bruery offering, but a unique one nonetheless.

3.52/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a ruddy brown color with light red hues along the edges and really no head to speak of but there is some solid lacing if your swirl this in the glass.

Aromas begin with tons of caramel, toffee, vanilla and oak. There is some dark fruits and molasses with some emerging spirit and alcohol.

The tastes begin with warming alcohol which transitions into the toffee and caramel maltiness. There is a super sweet candy maltiness and some maple syrup flavors as well with some light darker fruits as it warms. The sweetness and alcohol are still fairly present even after the 2-3 years in the bottle.

Mouthfeel is fairly full bodied with a very little amount of carbonation. Finish is fairly biting from the alcohol and fairly sweet.

Overall I cannot recommend this beer as each year they come out with a new one that is more balanced and less alcoholic thanks to the solara blending method they use. The overly abrasive alcohol and borderlining cloying nature make this a fairly big miss for me. Cuir was such an improvement as was Fruet so I can only assume this year's Bois will be even better.

3.52/5  rDev -10.2%

Split the bottle with a friend at the Map Room in Chicago on April 2nd, 2011. 12-13 oz. of this into a tulip.

Coton poured a murky, dark toffee/brown coloring with absolutely no head whatsoever (yeah no surprise at 14.5%). Just a few bubbles lingered on the top with tons of alcohol feet at the sides.

The aroma was dominated by bourbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, caramel, and alcohol characters. I was a bit surprised by the big bourbon presence, thought it would've started fading back a bit with over a year on this bottle but it evidently has not. No problem, I like bourbon. The nose overall feels a little messy and kind of all over the place.

The drink offers up the exact same flavors but it's better integrated. Bourbon might be a bit less than it was in the aroma. Caramel is still huge, some toffee. Lots and lots of brown sugar. The sweetness is so close to being too much... cloyingly-sweet is probably the best description. It's a bit of a flavor bomb and hits me in waves throughout the drink. ABV is less present than it was in the aroma.

Mouthfeel is a little tricky. Good carbonation from the bottle conditioning but the body is bit thin. Strongly coats the tongue with heavy flavors and has a dry finish. Very throat-warming in the backend.

Drinkability isn't so great. It's rather palate-destroying and I had trouble getting through my half of the bottle. Can't imagine taking on this one solo. Again, ABV is better hidden in the taste so that helps this one a little bit.

Overall, worth trying. I hope to sample 100% BA Coton though, found myself wishing this had been better balanced and more wholly integrated throughout all of the flavors. I can't help but be very tough in grading this one based on my expectations, but it's honestly still a decent brew and I would revisit if given the chance.

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a ruddy amberish color with good carbonation and a light toffee color head

S: Brown sugar, caramel, old dark fruits, and plenty of booze

T: Booze, wood, bourbon, dark fruits. This beer tasted like it was already going over the hill oir past its prime it seemed.

M: Sordove sticky, warm, funky

D: Ahh. Ok but not worth the price at all!

Coton from The Bruery