Coton - The Bruery

CotonCoton

The Bruery visit their website

Old Ale |  14.50% ABV

Beer added by: DefenCorps on 05-22-2010

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 348 | Reviews: 161
4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

Extraordinarily rich, and complex brew with a long range that folds over itself as a delicate if robust sipper.

Presentation: 750 ml brown capped bottle. Label with an intricate Bruery emblem in gold and ocher with a touch of green. It offers a small description of the brew, and anniversary context, with thanks to supporters. Back label has cellaring, and serving notes. Shows bottling year (2010), bottle number (00330), and Alc. by. Vol. (14.5%). Served in a snifter.

A - Amber brown pour, with a fair if short lived head, which leaves a faint surface memory with more persistent memory ring and little lacing.

S - Nice nose, a bit subdued, barely hinting at the intensity below. Caramel sense, sugar and malt with a fruity touch, maybe a tad of bourbon and a hint of alcohol.

T - While the smell is pleasing it does not prepare for the full unfolding of flavors that follows. Great range that has a high sugary note, cotton candy like, woven in a long boozy and malty sense, slow undercurrent with touches of vanilla, plums, honey, butterscotch, prunes, sour insinuation that fades in a long Belgium character that goes back under the rich boozy sugar.

M - Medium-full body, with light carbonation, a caramel and boozy finish. A bit hot around the alcohol.

D - As one goes through the drink the distinct flavors gather a nice long balance and unity with a very long range. Quite the sipper.

Notes: While maybe a bit raw this feels quite extraordinary. I'd love to get my hands on another couple of these bottles, maybe to age... Sure, I've not had many Bruery offerings, which in general I've found to be good quality, but this one is certainly in the outstanding category.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

I hosted a Bruery tasting and we had 9 of the bottles collected. we had 4-6 oz samples. I'm reviewing these on memory from a few nights ago.

We finished up the night with this. it was a nice break after finishing off dessert and sweeter beers. Sublte boubon flavors which is what i like. Not a fan of over bourboned barrel aged beers. This was nice and alchol well hidden in such a big brew.

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%

Bottle No. 9385 poured into tulip

Appearance- Thick dark orange brown with very little head and minimal carbonation

Smell - Caramel and sweet malts up front followed by woody Bourbon

Taste - Initial flavors of molasses and heavy malts followed very shortly after by the serious alcohol. Some rich fruity flavors, but for the most part they are overpowered by the alcohol and thick malts

Mouth-Thick with very light but adequate carbonation, well balanced

Drink- at 14.5% this is not an easy drink. It is so thick and boozy, but still very enjoyable. I feel that this has the potential to age well. I can't wait to break open one of my 100% barrel aged bottles to compare, but I think I am going to give them a little time.

4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from bottle(#01746)

Generally I find old ales to be rather hit or miss (mostly miss). However this has to be one of the most surprising and deliciously complex brews I've ever encountered (I am confused by some of the previous reviews)

Pours an dark orange brown with minimal head.

Smells sweet with notes of caramel and dark fruit, and perhaps some brown sugar (not overwhelmingly boozy for the ABV).

It has a very complex and intense flavor that requires some serious gustatory analysis upon first sip. Citrus rind and dark fruit are most prominant with a wonderful sweet caramel finish. Booziness seems extremely well tamed considering the 14.5%, contrary to prior accounts (I can only imagine it has aged well)

I absolutely loved this beer, as each sip presented a new dimension of flavor. If it wouldn't destroy my liver I could drink this all day

4.19/5  rDev +5.8%

750ml bottle into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Free pour yields a one and a half inch tan head that dissipates quickly leaving a tight, short-lasting ring of lacing. Pours a very dark but translucent red, and leaves a few spots and splotches of lacing occasionally.

Smell: From the bottle: Yeah, there's some alcohol in this beer. In the glass: Wow... Before even putting my face near the glass I can smell caramel, oak, vanilla. Actually getting close to it, I'm getting those same smells, plus some mild cola smell, and some smoky, nutty aromas. No where near as boozy smelling as I first thought, thought some solvent comes out late in the bottle. Some raisin as well. Lots going on, but creates a very smooth, pleasant whole.

Taste: First sip: smooth caramel and vanilla up front, then a devastating explosion of alcohol heat (15%~ ABV, yeah I'll buy it). I can feel it in my chest. The first sensations were silky smooth, and before I can get too skeptical from the alcohol bomb, some really nice nutty, woody notes come out in the aftertaste. Promising.

Over the course of the next several sips, it becomes clear that ABV isn't the only big thing about this beer. I'm getting deep, malty flavors up front with hard to identify (for me) but very distinctive nutty notes (maybe pecan or macadamia or almond), along with toffee and prune. As I acclimate to the heat, the finish develops a real bourbon and vanilla character. Further in, the creamier flavors are disappearing and I'm getting tart notes of apple and more dark fruit (pretty distinctively raisin and prune, with raisin dominating the aftertaste).

Is this messy and unbalanced? So much is going on that it's really hard to gauge; each sip is yielding bold, adventurous flavor. Are the flavors just beyond making sense together? I'm not sure. Now it tastes predominantly spicy and hot. The fruit notes are getting stronger too--but there's some smokiness and vanilla cutting through the fruit impressions.

As exploratory as this beer is, in the end I'll say that yes, it is well-balanced. That beautiful aroma is sort of like a guide, letting you know the main caramel/nut/vanilla/bourbon core of the beer, which just gets deepened and accentuated by the constantly evolving complexity of flavors. The flavor is starting to really make sense, but more importantly, it's not getting dulled; it's not that the alcohol is taking over, or the oak or caramel or apple or prune notes drop off, it's that all of these stay strong and continue to contribute. I'm sold.

Mouthfeel: While it's a decent vehicle for these flavors, it's ultimately not great. Full bodied, low carbonation, very hot and sticky. Develops a borderline unpleasant oily slickness. It's not bad, but it could be a lot better.

Drinkability: Excellent celebratory beer, delivering the kind of adventurous but expertly balanced flavor I expect from a high profile Bruery release. Points off for the mouthfeel; if I were deciding whether or not to spend my night with this beer or another heavy hitter like Bourbon County Stout, Coton's mouthfeel would be an issue.

Coton delivers what you'd expect of it if you're buying it in the first place for a reason other than "Here's a rare beer." It's a big, bold, old ale. Lots of heat, lots of dark fruit, lots of caramel and vanilla. It's a special occasion type beer that makes sense as the Bruery's anniversary release. It could probably use a few years of aging, but I think it's already a very good sipper if you like complex, brash, high ABV beers.

2.71/5  rDev -31.6%

Appearance - This poured a nice chocolaty brown in color with little head as one could imagine.

Smell - This is rich, malty booze with little complexity. The fruits though are very diverse and more like a BSDA. The wood though is overpowering IMO and squashes the fruity bouquet.

Taste - The malts are sloppy and the booze overpowering. I think there are probably some terrific fruits in there but they are such a chore to find at this point I'm not going to try.

Mouthfeel - This is close to full-bodied. The alcohol isn't overly stinging but just is a raunchy, unnecessarily rough wild card that trumps everything else. Those BAs who know me can attest that I am a great fan of alcohol - hahaha - but this is just all wrong.

Drinkability - I guess I'm the odd man out because mostly the other reviews here are good but I thought this was horrible. It was off-balanced, way too much liquor, an unstructured malt base that already fell apart (why someone was saying we should age it I have no idea), and the "25% wood" was 24% too much.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

Bottle number 07144 poured into Duvel tulip.

Appearance - Average pour produced a lot of bubbles that formed to a two finger tan head that gradually fell to a thin cap. Beer is deep opaque mahogany brown. Some sticky lace spots but not a ton.

Smell - So sweet and very forward with the smell. Poured and set down an arms length away and aroma just found my nose. Dark fruits, brown sugar and molasses. A deep full breath in through the nose found some oaky and vanilla scents. Not finding the 14.5% ABV in the nose, but very pleasant.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Taste is almost exactly what the nose led on, very sweet. Malty, caramel, toffee, and alot of sweet plum and raisin. Oak in the finish along with a slight burn, but nothing compared to what I was expecting from such a big beer. Medium to full bodied, light carbonation, very pleasant with a slick thick coating left on the inside of my mouth just urging me to drink more.

Drinkability - While the feel in my mouth is urging me to continue drinking this is tough to do alone. Eventually it gets too sweet and I need a palate cleansing water before I continue. After a clean mouth its like starting the bottle all over again and pleasant, so I'm gonna go right up the middle with this one.

Overall, a great beer worth trying despite the steep price tag. If I find myself deserving a treat I will buy another. No disappointment here.

2.95/5  rDev -25.5%

Thanks for opening this one, Nick.

Murky amber body, almost rust-colored, with a small head that settles to a collar. Nice viscosity, this has legs like whiskey.

Smells quite fruity, prune-like, with notes of iron, mineral, molasses. A bit cloying and unrefined. Some oak and bourbon sweetness. Decent.

Tastes of prunes, molasses, mineral/iron. Rich and thick, but unlike the 100% barrel-aged version, this is fairly cloying and somewhat astringent. It might improve with a few years of age, but I wouldn't recommend opening this fresh. I don't like the prune juice flavor and the sweetness isn't nearly as palatable and smooth as the 100% barrel aged version.

2.86/5  rDev -27.8%

A-pours a dark dirty and cloudy reddish brown with a good bit of light tan colored head that is pretty dense and creamy.

S-the nose is huge and sweet, tons of brown sugar, caramel, raisins, cherries, plums, notes of roasted malts and chocolate malt behind with a touch of vanilla, notes of boubon and booze in the back.

T-ouch, hot and lots of booze in the back, very sugary, caramel, sweet dark fruits like the nose, raisins, plums, cherries, chocolate malt is pretty prevalent behind, notes of vanilla with a nice roasted malt presence. again, lots of heat and booze with notes of bourbon, a little messy.

M-full bodied, syrupy and chewy, good carbonation to balance.

D-this is huge beer with lots of heat and booze in it, the flavors there are pretty solid and comes through in the nose. could be good down the road but seems to be a bit boozy and messy right now.

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

Got this as an extra in a trade. Had this on my wants list and was excited to get it. Can't wait to try. 2010 750ml bottle...

A: Dark, dark ruby red black with some nice highlights around the edges and throughout. 1 inch off white head that fades at a decent pace. Very good.

S: Super boozy caramel with some molasses and sugary carrot cake scent. Some dark fruit and alcohol scents. Good.

T: Sugary malty spices upfront blended with some caramel alcohol and some heavy oakiness. Good.

M: Very thick and heavy. I like brews this way so this is good.

D: A little rougher to get down because its so heavy, thick, and boozy. Decent.

All in all, this is a solid brew. Good to try if you like like really big beers. This beer is huge and thick. Good to try once if you like big old ales.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

75% Ale, 25% Bourbon Barrel Aged version (bottle 1439)

Pours a dark oak brown with large white bubbles and no lacing. Smell of roasted sugars, dark fruit, caramel, toffee, oak.

Taste of nicely slow roasted sugars, bourbon, oak, caramel, toffee, earth, vanilla , dark fruit. These all blend together really well. If I could compare it to another beer I have had, I would say Sixpoint Grand Crue which was also very tasty, but slightly flat. I was told it was about 4 years old, so that was partially understandable. The Grand Crue was not quite as boozy understandably by age. As far as I know this was also not made for a Rock band, so on that basis only, this one is not nearly is good. With taste however I have to say this beats the Grand Crue a little bit. There is a nice bourbon presence even with only 25% on this bottle. Slightly boozy which is good at a 14.5% abv as well.

Good carbonation and a nice thick leathery mouthfeel. Drinkability is also pretty good for a drink of this stature.

4.06/5  rDev +2.5%

A - Fairly clear medium brown, not much head at all. A ring a and a swirl. Nada on the lace.

S - Burnt sugar, bourbon, wood, dark fruits.

T - Taste spot on for smell. Booze evident too.

M - Lightly carbonated, but enough. Lots of big flavors and booze, so pretty good balance considering.

D - Not. Too big and palate killing. It tasted just like an oaked Strong ale I made. I like it, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

On-Tap at Hulmeville in a 10oz serving or so, glad to find this as I passed up Melange #3 flowing on tap during beer week due to the high alcohol. Kicks rocks..

Coton looks dark but is not yet black, a dark brown mixed with a very small amount of bronze when up to light. Just a stroke of off white foam on top, no stick, it's 14%, understandable.

Smells of deep caramel action and sweet fruits including plum and apple. But there is a huge amount of malt sweetness. Candi sugar, vanilla, toffee, port, prunes, alot.

Not smelling a insane amount of booze, I was pleasantly surprised that while a bit hot, Coton is not boozy, just a touch. Alcohol is the least of my concern with all thats on top. This includes huge malt sweetness, toffee, caramel. A small amount of oak, but a nice amount of light vanilla bean. Dates and raisins with port soaked fruits, a small amount of bourbon. What I get is good layered beer.

This is big beer, no doubt about it, a nice strong almost full body. It's quite thick but goes down real smooth like. Just a bit of heat on the backend after the melange of flavors. Lightly carbed, just enough to keep it moving along. Sweet mostly, coton is something else. A coating beer.

It's a sipper for sure, but I was at a bar and I like to drink at bars so, you know how that goes. Insanely drinkable and flavorful without being cloying in the least bit, not artifical more like art official. I would like to try this next to a fire in the winter and id drink the whole damn bottle, damn the alcohol. I need to find a bottle of this for a 5 year nap. Note to self- Never pass up Bruery special releases no matter the cost.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

Coton is served up a hazy reddish brown with only a slight parchment head that leaves mediocre lace. The aroma is surprisingly muted, but what I do pick up is sweet, alcoholic and fruity with some cider notes, raisin, prune and brown sugar. The flavor is extremely complex and hard to describe. It definitely has a malty, brown sugar like base with a bit of a fruit leather like aspect to it. Other flavors include caramel, vanilla, buttery pecan, bourbon and perhaps a hint of apple cider vinegar. Like I said, a really hard to describe this mix of very well integrated flavors. Not really like anything I have had so far. The mouthfeel is on the full side of medium, and is quite smooth with low carbonation. It lingers in your mouth and has a long, slightly tacky finish. Definitely a sipping beer, and an enjoyable one at that. A very intriguing offering.

4.61/5  rDev +16.4%

A: Pours a dark and murky reddish/brown color. A minimal brown head forms, and sticks around as a ring. Very little lace is left behind.
S: Toasted malts, toffee and chocolate. Dark fruits of fig, cherries, and plums. A tart green apple aroma as well. Light vanilla and oak. Really complex and awesome.
T: Follows the nose. A large toasted malt flavor up front. Sweet toffee, vanilla, and chocolate. Dark fruits, and a great green apple tartness lingers. Dry oak as well.
M/D: A full body and low carbonation. Velvety smooth and decadent. So easy to drink. The high alcohol is extremely well hidden. I can sip on this all day.

This is really exceptional. A huge beer, that has incredible nuance and balance. Something that is harder and harder to find these days. Highly recommended.

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

On tap at the hulmeville inn. Way to go steve, the new philly beer geek.

A- comes to me in a mini pilsner type glass with no head just a faint ring and a wisp or two on top. Murky orange brown in color that glows yellow at the edges in the sunlight.

S- sherry and sweet candied fruit. Burnt brown sugar and caramel.

T- sweet cream sherry soaked stone fruit and caramelized turbinado sugar. Toasted honey wheat bread with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top. More spice in the back with cloves studded oranges and spiced cider.

M- thickish and chewy viscous mouthfeel, coats the palate with sweetness. Lite carb just a small fizz after a bit. There is some heat but with some time I think it will clam down.

D- well its damn near 15 abv and super sweet but its not cloying the touch of heat burns the sweet just right.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

750 in a snifter

Nice mahogany pour with a cream head. Good staying power for the high ABV really.

Aroma is full of dark fruit and cherry. A touch of fig, toffee, raisin, and good old booze.

Taste is raisin, fig, cherry, toffee, but there's also a bitter component from hops and perhaps some roasted malt but it's on the light side. I think the high ABV also comes in a bit to increase that harshness.

Mouthfeel is nice and thick, but not overly so. Fairly smooth and a nice amount of carbonation.

Overall a really great beer. I can see this one being an A+ with 3-5 years on it. I might have to find me another bottle for aging purposes. Very expensive but I can see this one being worth it if you can manage to age it. Rating on this site will indeed go up over time, it's just too hot at the moment and flavors need to blend.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a deep burgundy color, with a nice light tan foam resting on top (although it quickly disappears, leaving s nice slick atop the surface).

Good aromas here: bourbon, raisins, stewed fruits and candi sugar. On the palate, I get some nice warming alcohol light oak and a little chocolate. Much better, IMHO, than papier at this point. Smooth, somewhat mellow and very drinkable.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Dark, cloudy orange hue. A brownish orange head bubbles to the surface but quickly dissipates leaving nothing but the outline of a head to be that never was.

S: Molasses, dark fruits, alcohol, caramel.

T: As complex as the smell. Dark, roasty malts, slightly fruity. Very sweet. Oaked notes are very subtle, but present. Warm alcohol drones in after the initial brown sugar, fruitiness.

M: Medium-heavy. Coats the glass like a single malt but there's nothing single about this tasty malt bomb.

D: Sipper. Desert. Not an every day beer (unless you have a growler to kick). This is a very nice Old Ale.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

A: This poured a translucent mahogany with some light tan head.
S: It smelled like tons of vanilla and caramel and honey wheat, with some butterscotch and a bit of bourbon and bready yeast.
T: It tasted like butterscotch and caramel and vanilla and smooth oak, with some honey wheat and candi sugar and a bit of sour yeast and alcohol. It had a bittersweet aftertaste with alcohol warming.
M: It had a beautiful body that was thick and smooth with a little carbonation.
D: This beer is super amazing with some of the best malt flavors and terrific body. A top notch old ale with a Belgian influence and barrel aging to set it apart from other old ales, which worked perfectly. It was a bit hot fresh, so it needs to be sipped. But it should be sipped regardless, to fully enjoy the complexities. So good fresh, and I'm sure it will improve with age. I'm glad I bought a second bottle for the cellar, despite the price!

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance-Pours a dark chestnut brown with ruby highlights into the glass, there isn't much carbonation but it never the less gives rise to a thin yellowish off-white head which recedes rather quickly leaving a wispy ring. Although there isn't much head it leaves some nice sticky lacing which is impressive given the ABV.

Aroma-Dark tangy fruits up front; I smell prunes grapes, raisins and a kind of sour funkiness. Underneath that are some vanilla and slight caramel elements and maybe the smallest hint of bourbon.

Taste-Tangy sweet with that same dark fruit character found on the nose only now I can pick up dates and tart cherries on the palette in addition to the aforementioned fruits. There's a subtle hoppiness that balances things out along with a spicy booziness and a very subtly bourbon character right at the finish that lingers after you swallow. The caramel notes found on the nose are much more subdued and the vanilla entirely absent but there's plenty enough going on without it.

Mouthfeel-Very delicate carbonation with a full syrupy body; spot on for the style methinks.

Drinkability-Although this is a great beer it's gonnna take a hit here as it's not terribly drinkable to me; the overpowering tartness combined with the thick heavy body and lingering aftertaste make this a real sipper. One glass is plenty, if not more than enough, for me.

4.12/5  rDev +4%

#01509 Pours a chocolate brown color with honey hightlights and a short dense khaki head that settled into a solid ring. The aroma is of prunes and boozy raisins with some honey sweetness. Nice typical old ale aroma. The taste is sweet, fruity with a nice malty body. There is a nice dark grape sweetness, boozy raisins, with some carob and slight tobacco. There is some hints of milk chocolate and pepper spice. There is a tartness from the oak barrels as well a a hint of bourbon. There was something to the taste that I wasn't figuring out then I read the label, 25% bourbon barrel aged. It is a nice subtle bourbon barrel flavor. Works very well with a solid oak presence. Very nice flavor profile, though still a very "young" old ale. Should get more of a raisiny/pruney flavor as it ages though the barrel aging will disappear. The feel is full, slightly slick, low carbonation, and some noticable belly burn. Its slick and sweet but not sticky at all which is nice for such a high ABV. I really dig "young" old ales and this fits that description. I really like the flavors as it has a nice depth without being overly heavy on the raisin flavor. Though I like this fresh, it will probably be awesome aged.

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

Appearance: Pours a coffee brown color with a rocky head that pancakes down on the liquid while leaving a skeleton of lace

Smell: The booze is readily apparent in the aroma, with a dark fruit, molasses and soy sauce character; burnt caramel and vanilla elements linger in the background

Taste: Rather complicated flavor profile....starts out with a alcohol-soaked fruitcake character that builds with molasses, soy sauce and a surprising sourness that jumps to the fore at mid-palate, along with the bourbon; after the swallow, the sweeter flavors and the bourbon barrel elements converge into the finish, though the sourness lingers well into the after-taste

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with low to moderate carbonation; plenty of warmth in the gullet

Drinkability: This beer well could take years to come together; despite the complexity, it is currently a chore to get through all of the big flavors, the sour edge and the booziness

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not really sure why this is $22 a bottle when only a quarter of it is barrel aged. Give me a fucking break Bruery. But a nice example of the style that should age well.

Pours a rusty, stained mahogany. Silky tan head, nice lace.

Nose has dark pitted fruits, caramel, toffee, vanilla, cocoa, molasses, peppery alcohol and a hint whiskey.

Taste is a bit more complex. Quite sweet, but I like it. Figs, dates, plums, rich candy malts, subtle hops, spicy alcohol and tart fresh cherries. Subtle, well balanced bourbon presence.

Full body is delicately carbonated. Drinks well considering size and age.

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

A big thanks to the supremely generous Overlord for this one. 750ml into pint glass.

A- Pours thickly. A rich copper color, a very nice creamed coffee head that is thick like a ricecake. Nice super-thick lacing ring after the first sip.

S- Caramel, bourbon, brandy-soaked fruits. Butterscotch (in a good way).

T- Rich, caramel wave hits me first. Fruity, plums, raisins, figs and dates, all things sweet and dried. A hint of pineapple.

M- Great body, heavy but not overbearing. Boozy for sure, but not solventy. Patrick is right up there with DFH with their high-ABV brewing techniques. More carbonation than I was expecting but I think it helps soften the blow.

D- Moderate to moderately high... style and ABV in mind. I like this stuff. Not sure what aging will do to it, but I'd be interested in finding out. Still, well-put-together and ready to drink now.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Coton from The Bruery