100% Barrel Fermented Autumn Maple - The Bruery

100% Barrel Fermented Autumn Maple100% Barrel Fermented Autumn Maple

good

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-18-2010)
4.75/5  rDev +28.7%

2010 bottle poured into Bruery Tulip glass:

Appearance: slightly hazy, coppery brown in color, minimal head, that fades slowly.

Smell: Heavy Brettanomyces sent in the forefront, spices, maple syrup, brown sugar, yams (minimal compared to regular Autumn Maple).

Taste: Sour, spices, initially tastes very similar to Lost Abbey Veritas 003 or 004, then has the typical Autumn Maple spice, yam and molasses taste towards the finish.

Mouth: Light, bubbly, tart and acidic.

Overall: An amazing, funky beer. Completely unexpected taste and a major deviation from the run of the mill Autumn Maple.

phichifiji00, Aug 28, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +22.8%

2010 Bottle...Thanks Chad for this opportunity to try this gem! Pours a muddy, reddish-brown with a small, off-white head that disappears quickly. Scent is WOW! Blowing my mind...wasn't expecting this. Tons off Brett...I didn't think this beer was wild or even sour...I love it! Smells delicious. Has some definite funk and spicy aromas...hints of vanilla and sweet malt, but the Brett is king in this department. Taste does not disappoint following such an amazing nose. Tart, pumpkin/yam flavors on the palate with spiciness in the throat. Once again, wasn't expecting this to be sour. Light cinnamon and nutmeg with some cherry sweetness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and mouth puckering. Drinkability is very high. Overall, it's been so long since I've had regular Autumn Maple...but I can tell you this blows it outta the water. Amazing beer!

DovaliHops, Aug 29, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +22%

Thanks to a good friend for the chance to try this one. Pours a nice amber brown with a silky tan head. Nose has oak, sweet malts, yams, spices, maple, caramel, toffee and oak. Taste has a nice complexity to it. Body a bit thin, but drinks nice. Another innovative example of a classic style of beer. More brewers should barrel ferment their ales. But then continue to age it in a fresh liquor or wine barrel.

rye726, Jul 12, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +22%

John11486, Feb 15, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

I really loved this one. Shared at with some good friends this one was poured into a snifter.

Nice orange pour with a small head that faded off slowly and left a nice light bit of lacing around the sides of the glass. Aroma is funky, did not see that coming. Nice sourness that sits on top of caramel sugar, fruit notes, and light earthy and wood like taste. Criso and clean with a nice medium body that lets the flavor really expand on the palate. Nice dry finish lets the sour really explore.

Overall very solid beer. Thanks for bringing this one Calton.

mikesgroove, Jul 01, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

On-tap at The Bruery's Black Tuesday event, about 9 oz. total,

A: Pours a medium amber to burnt orange, good head retention, solid lace.

S: Classic Autumn Maple nose, sugary yams and spice. The different aging adds a very nice acidic note, lactic.

T: Delicious mix of squash, winter spice and acid. The acidity opens the beer up, adds a little funk, and for me, the best Autumn Maple incarnation I've had so far.

M: Medium to full-bodied, moderate acidity, quite smooth, nice finish and aftertaste.

D: Just a really good beer. Combining fall beer and sours just make for a delicious product, well worth the purchase price.

Halcyondays, Oct 27, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +18.7%

Yum, yams, oak, maple - just what a tree logger would love

Is it good? Yep its good

Think Autumn Maple mixed with Oud Bruin ale. Add Oak aging, maple syrup and Yams and this is what you get.

There is some vinegar flair added in which is very welcome and takes a little away from the sweetness, but this is pretty tasty stuff and complex enough that most BA's would really go for it... If we were playing golf and this were a par 5, The Bruery hit it and hit it with precision. Some may say a birdie; all I know is as you get towards the bottom of a 750, more of the oud bruin flavors come out and this really becomes more complex with vinegar / brett characteristics really shining through. Appears this has come up in the Fruit / Vegetable beer although it is definitely more on the sour ale / oud bruin side of the spectrum. Medium / thick body with a light carbonation. Caramelized sugars and the belgian yeast still reign in this beer even though it has been 'tainted' with the brett.

not sure exactly what all of the other haters on this beer are complaining about, but this is great stuff for me. Send them my way and I will take them.

Enjoy!

alpinebryant, Jan 15, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

Sixofsigmas, Oct 04, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

CheapBeerBuzz, Mar 19, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass at Smoke & Barrel as part of a DC bottle share. Bottle brought by WorldWideStout, much thanks. Vintage 2010. From notes.

Reddish orange amber body, with a light tan color, kind of creamy off the pour, fairly solid.

Bouquet brings an almost vinous apple wine like character, mild brett, with some large apple butter qualities along with some mild nutmeg and squash.

Palate hits with playful and noticeable carbonation. Light funk. A real interesting toasty quality to this and charred squash. Mild sugar sweet and sour balance. Some other fruits seem to come out the sourness accents. Orange and tangerine fruit as well.

Overall pretty interesting, kind of a bit of fun drink I must admit.

smakawhat, Oct 17, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

As I raced up Grand Avenue, fighting tooth and nail just to get to the Orange Circle and pick up my beer allocation, all I could think was, "Why are you going 30 in a 45 zone, guy driving the car in front of me?" However, after finally reaching old town Orange (and battling the requisite Velocitaptor), I parked and prepared myself to pick up some awesome beer. And then to carry a heavy box a few blocks back to my car. Excitedly, I waited for the weekend, when I could chill and drink a few of my newest best friends. Finally, Sunday came, and, with my brother and his fiancée in attendance from Portland, I began the traditional Sunday service of the Minor Reformed Western Coastal Church of Beer. Notes from the sermon:

A: Pours an opaque brown with almost no head. Even after I started pouring a little violently, barely managed to get any head out of it. Still, has an inviting brown appearance.

S: Has a bit of a tart smell, similar to a sour but slightly less pronounced. I found the tart smell somewhat surprising (my expectation was that it would be a bit more robust, rich smell instead of a poignant tartness). I'd call it a pleasant surprise.

T: Complex, complex, complex (in all the best ways). When it first introduces itself to your palate, you get a lot more of the tart flavor. But as you progress through this journey of a beer, you begin to bring out more of the subtle spicy flavor. Once you start picking up that sweet/spicy yam flavor, it opens up, giving you a wonderful barrel aged flavor.

M: For how heavy of a beer it is, the mouthfeel is fairly light. Glides easily across the tongue, with only a bit of thickness to it. Overall I'd say it's a medium mouthfeel, but (again) feels lighter than it looks.

D: As with pretty much all Bruery beers, this isn't something you'd pick up a case of and drink all day while watching football. But, when you want a treat, this is a beer for the role.

Retiring to my couch for some pleasant television, I had but a single thought, which was confirmed by my fellow tasters: I want to drink this beer with a pumpkin pie. Can't wait for the special thanksgiving service of the Minor Reformed Western Coastal Church of Beer.

May hops be with you, and grain guide you, and may yeast be with you and your family.

stuman77, Oct 18, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +13.8%

This beer looks gorgeous. Beautiful pour, though their is not much head. Smells wonderful, slightly sweet. The barrel fermenting helps to cut some of the sweetness of Autumn Maple, though I find Autumn Maple to be perfectly balanced as is so I don't know that the beer really benefits from this but it is an interesting twist. The beer is well rounded though slightly thin. Intensely drinkable, I could finish off several of these.

aknight, Nov 06, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +12.5%

8/1/2011

Bottle poured into a snifter. Cold stored since the release.

A: Appearance is an attractive deep reddish brown with a finger of beige bubbly froth that's fast fading, leaving traces of lace on the glass.

S: Tart and lactic cherries with sweet baked bread and a moderate vinegar presence. Vanilla is accompanied by yam, allspice, ginger, maple, nutmeg, and cinnamon. This smells awesome. I'm really surprised. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting this. Fantastic.

T: Bready and sweet up front, segueing into tart cherry and apple with a firm lactic presence. Oak melds with vanilla. Maple syrup is pervasive and delicious. I detect nutmeg, light ginger, cinnamon, and a touch of molasses as well. The finish is lightly sour, with a low level of vinegar and a decisive tart cherry note accompanying the spice.

M: Upper medium in body with moderate carbonation.

Overall: This one took me by surprise. I really enjoyed this and wish I'd opened it on a weekend so I could drink more of it. Not unlike an Oud Bruin. Recommended.

HopHead84, Aug 02, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

Looks like a bonfire with a fat bubbly head on it that died down a bit from the acidity.

Smells like a Thanksgiving dinner...spice, pumpkin, burnt caramelized plum, rum raisin...the list goes on. Has a nice spritzy sourness to it as well...

Tart, creamy, malty, spicy and plentiful. Sour maple has a great tart smack at the end. We were pairing it with fresh pumpkin pie...the best pairing ever. It was lacking in body....Needs more booty.

Mouthfeel was sharp and creamy and then died off within seconds. It has a nice lingering spice ambiance...4/5...

Pretty strong, tart and spicy...could be more drinkable...Maybe in 3 years!

slayer3604, Oct 22, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Shared this one with beeruser, funkydelic, and mikesgroove at one of our weekly tastings. Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured a hazy red orange with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, yams, maple syrup, and coriander. The flavor was of sweet malt, yams, maple syrup, and slight sour. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The slight sour aspect going on in this one really added a nice touch to the base beer. This kind of reminded me of Nano Series: S.A.M. that I had awhile back. Only the sour on this one was not as pronounced as with the S.A.M. Glad I have another bottle of this one sitting in the cellar to share with others in the future. Definitely worth trying despite the low ratings it has gotten recently.

thagr81us, Jun 27, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +10.6%

750 mL bottle from 2010 into a Portsmouth tulip, enjoyed on the first sub-50 degree night of the year. Thanks a lot for this beer Mark, it was totally off my radar.

This one isn't the belle of the ball: it pours a reddish, murky brown, with a half-finger light brown head made up of some of the biggest, loosest bubbles I've ever seen in a beer. Even aggressive subsequent pours didn't change the look of this one too much.

Just a ton of tart funk in the nose. Totally blind, I'd probably peg this for an Oud Bruin, and the vinegar is very present. But there are some very unique aromatic elements that do remind me of the regular Autumn Maple. Though I can't really detect yams, I do get a lot of sweet berries and some toasty coconut. Read aloud, that combination doesn't sound too appealing, but it works very well here.

A lot of bretty funk up front, combined with those rich, autumnal fruit flavors of Autumn Maple. Again, there is a very pronounced vinegar character reminiscent of an Oud Bruin or Flanders Red, but what gets me is the slight cheesy funk at work as well. This tastes earthy and sour, with just a touch of alcohol heat.

As the appearance indicated, the mouthfeel is a little flat, and a little thin as well. It certainly doesn't kill the overall package, but a little more carbonation would be nice. To me, this almost felt (and, actually, looked) like it was served from a cask.

I really wasn't a fan of the regular Autumn Maple when I tried it last year - I thought it was sort of a muddled, sub-standard fall seasonal that fell short of many pumpkin beers I enjoy. I never would have expected that Brett would improve this beer immeasurably, but the BA version really is a different animal. A very unique, very tasty beer.

amphion1065, Sep 19, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

Brown appearance, a little bit of orange thrown in there for good measure, light on the head side, very light. For being 100% BA, it doesn't exude a ton of sour aroma or funk.

A complex amount of Thanksgiving and Christmas flavors, pumpkin, yams all that 'good' stuff (I'm not a yam fan). Comes across neither sweet nor spicy at first, you have to really search to find them, but then it evolves as you drink more, a little bit of the wood flavor comes out, followed finally by a minimal amount of sour, and then it grows, and grows until you do have quite a sour complimentary aspect to the beer.

Complex, but easy drinking at the same time, never detected an appreciable amount of alcohol in here.

Beerandraiderfan, Nov 30, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

Yet another beer received from the ever-generous neorunner in the Blind Beers BIF. Per his recommendation, this one was poured into a snifter and reviewed completely blind.

Pours a murky copper color that shines in crimson when held to the light. A tiny head of light tan is super fizzy, bubbling like soda before disappearing within seconds and without a trace.

Fruity aroma, like dark cherries, green raisins and plums. Oak aging has imparted some nice vinous character, along with sweet vanilla, balsamic vinegar and perhaps some clove.

Tart lemons in the initial flavor, followed by the heavy woodiness of untoasted oak in the middle. Balsamic, cherry syrup, sweet maple and orange juice mix with lots of brett tartness. A dry finish seems to wipe the mouth clean, but this is reduced as beer warms. Tiny bit of ethanol.

Light and tickly carbonation. This thing's got a smooth medium body with impressive creaminess and is a pleasure to move around.

I had NO idea what beer this could be before I removed neorunner's covering, but it all makes sense now. The brett somewhat overpowers the other flavors in the beer, but you can pick up a bit of the yams and maple if you search for it. I can see this being excellent with white meat or a salad.

Phelps, Dec 23, 2010