100% Barrel Fermented Autumn Maple - The Bruery

100% Barrel Fermented Autumn Maple100% Barrel Fermented Autumn Maple

good

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-18-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
BearsOnAcid

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Maroon body with a small white head.

Acidic, funky nose. I'm starting to recognize it as the signature Bruery funk. Strangely vinous and cherry like.

The yams have gone bad in this one. I'm wondering why this was even made. It's a very strange beer to begin with. Brown sugar sweetness and yammy, like a thanksgiving dessert, then you toss in this sour rotten cherry vinegar flavor. It's like someone threw up on grandma's famous pumpkin pie.

10-13-2011 14:33:09 | More by BearsOnAcid
Azrael

02-09-2013 06:05:29 | More by Azrael
Arbitrator

2.35/5  rDev -36.3%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by Nanoslug, I believe. From notes.

A: Pours an opaque mahogany body with a light tan head. Poor retention, no lacing... It looks a bit like dirty pond water.

S: There's a general sweet potato note, grapes, oak, mint, caramel. I remember the base beer having some spice to it. Was that removed here?

T: Oddly tart grapes that clash with bretty funk, sweet potatoes, and a spicy finish of cinnamon. A very kitchen-sink-like effect that I find myself scratching my head over. Awful? Not really. Was I clamoring to get more? No.

M: Thin body with zesty carbonation. It never feels watery, so that's... kind of redeeming, I guess. But the flavors don't blend well together at all.

D: Before this came out, there was a lot of apprehension about the Bruery changing a recipe for the worse -- from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought. The apprehension was well deserved, IMO. I've never had BA Autumn Maple, but the base beer sucks, and this one's worse.

12-20-2010 20:54:55 | More by Arbitrator
westcoastbeerlvr

2.5/5  rDev -32.2%

11-14-2011 22:40:14 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
Sean9689

2.6/5  rDev -29.5%

Part of the Grand Finale for Mike's Bachelor Tasting. Thanks goes to fagadeer for sending this to me via Alex. Thanks, slag! Review from notes.

A - Pours brown, light tan-colored head, thin ring around the glass and no retention to speak of or any lacing.

S - Spices, herbs, oak, dark fruits, bourbon. Too much sweetness here that just takes over everything else. Like Jason and Alex mentioned, sweet potatoes are a good descriptor. Not really into drinking sweet potatoes though...ugh.

T - Sweet sugary syrup, dark fruits, oak, bourbon. I didn't get much sourness here, but whatever, it still wasn't any good regardless.

M - Medium, light carbonation (almost flat), creamy finish.

D - Uh, no more, please. Nothing I've had from the Bruery really has blown me away. Please make something I really really like...please! Can't recommend this one....no sir.

12-10-2010 23:39:51 | More by Sean9689
AgentZero

2.83/5  rDev -23.3%

A nightcap to the Bachelor Weekend Tasting, complete with fatguy domination and big-nutted squirrel photoes on the bottle courtesy of some dag in California via Alex.

A - It's a brown beer with a brown head, that's really about it. It looks formidable enough, no lacing or retention, but it is a deep brown, opaque color that is not bad.

S - Smells a bit like a holiday beer, with yams, pumpkin, spice. I guess there is some barrel in there as well, although for something that says 100% barrel fermented I expected more.

T - Yams, spice, oak, funk. I hope this fell under the category of "Experimental" and then "Oh shit, we need to bottles this and sell or we're taking a big $ loss", cause this is weird and not particularly good. I like yams at Thanksgiving, but not really anywhere else.

M - Light carbonation in a medium bodied beer, not sure of more or less would have helped. Maybe nothing would have.

D - I hypothesized during this tasting that the Bruery will go bankruptcy eventually because of their wierd business model, marketing, and beer. All they need to do is keep churning out beers like this and they will prove me right.

12-14-2010 17:22:02 | More by AgentZero
jrallen34

2.85/5  rDev -22.8%

A late night finish to our Mike Whale tasting, what a way to go out! Even 20 beers in couldn't make us like this...Pours a medium brown, amber highlights, lightly clear. Very low carbonation...A weird aroma of spices, oak, and sweet potato, reminded me of Thanksgiving dinner. As good as that should sound, just not successful...The taste is more spices and sweet potato liquified with some light sourness...The beer tastes flat and is boring me death.

Another horrible Bruery beer who is quickly becoming DFH. Not worth trying.

12-06-2010 23:43:13 | More by jrallen34
acurtis

12-24-2011 23:36:35 | More by acurtis
Rckmo10

03-18-2012 00:41:31 | More by Rckmo10
Bubba83

Thanks to Kegatron for letting me grab this out of a box as his trustee. Poured at 50 degrees into a Bruery tulip.

Appears nice in the glass, dark brown in color, with a light tan head and big bubbles on top from the hard pour. At first I thought it was undercarbed due to the incredibly large size of the bubbles and almost no head, but then it started to crop up and cascade to the top into a little under a finger width. Surprisingly good retention after that initial scare, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells quite sour, and almost identical to an Oud Bruin. There's maybe a bit more sweetness here in the aroma, but it's kind of indescript and I doubt I could pick out yam blindfolded. Perhaps some brown sugar is noticeable, though.

Sweet sugary goodness on the initial sip, but that quickly gets a little cloyingly sweet with lots of brown sugar before souring up with a bunch of vinegar and red wine character. A little bit of cinnamon spice on the tail end makes this beer a bit of a confusing hodgepodge. The flavors work together better than I expected, but I was expecting it to taste pretty bad.

The mouthfeel seems a little bright and poppy for a beer like this, but I think the consistency is about spot on. Kind of a medium/oily feel which moves about the mouth well. Fairly wet finish.

Drinks pretty poorly. It's a challenging beer because of the way the flavors play out, but I wouldn't mind that if they worked in conjunction a little better. A pretty weird experiment of a beer that turned out, well.... weird. Honestly, if you just think of it as an Oud Bruin and forget about the Autumn Maple part it's not half bad. I advise drinking this when you're in a weird mood so you can fit right in.

02-24-2011 08:41:01 | More by Bubba83
Overlord

Pours a dark brown. CAnt' see through glass. Very little head.

Smells slightly tart/funky, with the familiar autumn maple sweet base coming through. No spices in nose. Interesting. I would haven't have thought it was possible to mask that aspect of the base beer.

Taste is all over the place. The brett is strangling and overpowering, and the sweet, yammy, oak-y undercurrent is fighting for air. I'm not too sure this beer is really in harmony. The brett is like a sledgehammer. I'm struggling to cut through it.

Mouthfeel is good for the style.

11-09-2010 00:13:24 | More by Overlord
mulder1010

Australia

3.1/5  rDev -16%

750 ML poured into a tulip. Thanks to Nicks6217 for this.

A-- Poured a deep reddish brown. Honestly a strange looking hazy color. A light brown head that quickly went away and left a small bit of lacing.

S-- A sort of strange funky smell. Get barnyard mixed with some yams and maple syrup. More funky barnyard than anything else.

T-- Different, very different. A lot of spices, namely cinnamon. Maple syrup, some yams and oak. First thought was a sour ale on acid.

M-- A little bit of sour, a little bit of sweet. How about all over the place. Lighter feel and more carbonated that I thought it would be. Not a lot of yams but more maple syrup. A little bit of barrel but not what I expected one bit.

D-- A little bit boozy but that is OK. Just reminds me more of a sour with spices than a brown ale with spices. A lot of funk in this. Obviously an experimental beer. A different one at that.

12-19-2010 14:33:05 | More by mulder1010
Thorpe429

3.13/5  rDev -15.2%

Thanks to bmanning for sharing this bottle with Amyliz4, Heather, and myself.

Pours a cloudy orange color with a thin head and some pretty good lacing. There is the nice "galaxy" swirl atop the beer that reminds me of the old space posters in elementary-school classrooms. Some tight bubbles on top. The nose brings a pretty decent amount of initial Brett. The second whiff brings in some light pumpkin and yams--honestly, I can't really tell them apart when there isn't a load of spicing. Some light clove notes.

The taste brings out a bit more of the barrel character with a light lactic presence. Very light, actually. The Autumn Maple base really doesn't come through all that much. There is some light oak and a mild tartness. The body is fairly thin and light with a tiny amount of carbonation. I think this definitely needs some time to further develop the barrel and Brett character. This is just too young at this point.

11-11-2010 03:22:33 | More by Thorpe429
MasterSki

3.18/5  rDev -13.8%

Thanks to largadear for this one. Served in a extremely wide tulip at the Allen residence.

A - Pours with a finger of light tan foam that settles to a thick ring and nearly complete cap, leaving behind nice fingers of lace. The body is a hazed ruby brown. Quite attractive.

S - Sweet potato, white grape juice, faint spices and mint. Faint oak and bourbon in there as well.

T - A strange mix of sourness, brett, juice, and a yammy finish. Very weird, and not particularly appealing.

M - Some zesty carbonation and an oddly thin body. Alcohol is well-hidden I suppose.

D - This is pretty underwhelming - far worse than the regular BA Autumn Maple. I finished my glass, but I definitely would decline if offered this again.

12-06-2010 19:28:29 | More by MasterSki

ObeMaltKinobee

03-23-2012 10:31:03 | More by ObeMaltKinobee
brewdan

3.33/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours an opaque brown with minimal head.

Smells terriffic; candied yams and bananas? with some spices and sweet toffee and bourbon.

Taste is a bit of a letdown from the nose. Taste is buttery bourbon being prominent and sweet and spicy yams making up the bulk of the flavors but somehow the taste didn't work for me.

Mouthfeel is good but drinkability is hurt because this is just not something you would want to drink much of.

Well, it was a beautiful fall day here in MI and I had my family over for turkey dinner so I was stoked to crack this bottle open but my dad had the same reaction as I did when he replied simply "this one is not good"

10-23-2010 11:40:08 | More by brewdan
KevSal

3.43/5  rDev -7%

Finally getting to this one. Given to me by arbitrator at the fifty fifty release, thanks mihir, I appreciate it.

I love pumpkin ales but I've never been a big fan of the base beer (although I hear the BA version is great.) this ones gettin pretty rare these days. I believe this is 2 years and some change old now. (2009?)

750 poured into a tulip

A- look just like the base, deep slightly murky reddish orange. Barely a half inch of head that doesn't last too long. Disappears quickly to a ring around the glass.

S- smells like a over spiced pumpkin ale with a sourness scent in the back end. Very interesting, not sure which way the flavors will go with this guy.

T- the sourness comes out pretty strong on the front and end, taste like a soured pumpkin ale that isn't intergrated well, more like an accident. Not as bad as the stories I've heard of this guy. It's got a slight taste of oud bruin which is a favorite style of mine, I can enjoy this. I believe the very base beer is a brown.

M- mouthfeel is alright, well carbonated, no alcohol at all which is pretty impressive for a 10% beer, glad I dont need to be in at work till noon tomorrow haha.

O- this is an alight beer, wasnt site what to expect from a beer when it's been 100% barrel fermented, this one was not a complete train wreck however it doesn't surprised me it has been retired. Ive had much worse ( 1 Door comes to mind), and I actually enjoy this more than the regular version.

Give it a shot if you've got one, a must if ur doing a autumn maple tasting.

01-12-2012 08:36:19 | More by KevSal
mendvicdog

Maryland

10-19-2012 19:27:57 | More by mendvicdog
UCLABrewN84

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

Thanks to AndrewK for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a clear dark orange with a fizzy khaki head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is somewhat sour and tart with some malt, spice, and mild fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with some woody flavors and an acidic quality with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but it seems like there is just too much going on to be really cohesive.

06-26-2012 00:48:41 | More by UCLABrewN84
zestar

10-24-2013 07:54:06 | More by zestar
clarkenstein

01-08-2012 20:50:33 | More by clarkenstein
SpeedwayJim

3.55/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to ipa247 (Jeff) for this one. Poured from a 750ml capped bottle into Lost Abbey stemware. Reviewed from notes.

A: Standard pour yields a .5 finger coarse, light yellow head with moderate retention. Beer is a clear, dark amber. Lacing is spotty and stringy with moderate retention but nice legs. Head retention and lacing need a bit of work but good overall.

S: Nose is cinnamon, brown sugar, and other sweet spices. Yam sweetness is actually detectable. Some nice muted oakiness also. Moderately aromatic. Decent.

T: Opens sweet potatoes, cinnamon, brown sugar, caramel, clove, and some other sweet spices. An oddly muted tartness is present towards the middle. Yam sweetness with notes of vanilla and a bit of booziness towards the end. Finish is sticky and sweet with near no aftertaste. This is decent, but its not as good as the original.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation. Smooth, warm, and oily in the mouth. Silky but with some heat going down. Spicy and accented finish with a slightly woody aftertaste that dissipates quickly. Really smooth and drinkable for such a high abv beer. And from the Bruery no less!

O: While I thought this was an interesting take on Autumn Maple I appreciated the originial version a lot more than this take. An interesting beer and the fact that it still tastes 90% like Autumn Maple means I think its solid, but in the end, not as good as its base.

05-14-2011 14:01:04 | More by SpeedwayJim
oline73

Maryland

3.55/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy reddish amber with a layer of off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Vinegar and alcohol with some yams and a smell that reminds me of cooked vegetables. The sourness dominates and it reminds me of a flanders.

Taste: Vinegar and malt up front, definitely reminds me of a flanders. Dark fruit with a sweetness and strong tartness in the finish. The usual autumn maple flavors are definitely in the background.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This was very different from the original version. More like a flanders than anything else. Don't know that I'd have another, but I'm glad I got to try it.

03-23-2012 02:41:50 | More by oline73