100% Barrel Fermented Autumn Maple - The Bruery

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-18-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.63/5  rDev -28.7%

Part of the Grand Finale for Mike's Bachelor Tasting. Thanks goes to fagadeer for sending this to me via Alex. Thanks, slag! Review from notes.

A - Pours brown, light tan-colored head, thin ring around the glass and no retention to speak of or any lacing.

S - Spices, herbs, oak, dark fruits, bourbon. Too much sweetness here that just takes over everything else. Like Jason and Alex mentioned, sweet potatoes are a good descriptor. Not really into drinking sweet potatoes though...ugh.

T - Sweet sugary syrup, dark fruits, oak, bourbon. I didn't get much sourness here, but whatever, it still wasn't any good regardless.

M - Medium, light carbonation (almost flat), creamy finish.

D - Uh, no more, please. Nothing I've had from the Bruery really has blown me away. Please make something I really really like...please! Can't recommend this one....no sir. (860 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -23%

A late night finish to our Mike Whale tasting, what a way to go out! Even 20 beers in couldn't make us like this...Pours a medium brown, amber highlights, lightly clear. Very low carbonation...A weird aroma of spices, oak, and sweet potato, reminded me of Thanksgiving dinner. As good as that should sound, just not successful...The taste is more spices and sweet potato liquified with some light sourness...The beer tastes flat and is boring me death.

Another horrible Bruery beer who is quickly becoming DFH. Not worth trying. (529 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -13%

Thanks to largadear for this one. Served in a extremely wide tulip at the Allen residence.

A - Pours with a finger of light tan foam that settles to a thick ring and nearly complete cap, leaving behind nice fingers of lace. The body is a hazed ruby brown. Quite attractive.

S - Sweet potato, white grape juice, faint spices and mint. Faint oak and bourbon in there as well.

T - A strange mix of sourness, brett, juice, and a yammy finish. Very weird, and not particularly appealing.

M - Some zesty carbonation and an oddly thin body. Alcohol is well-hidden I suppose.

D - This is pretty underwhelming - far worse than the regular BA Autumn Maple. I finished my glass, but I definitely would decline if offered this again. (726 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

Brown appearance, a little bit of orange thrown in there for good measure, light on the head side, very light. For being 100% BA, it doesn't exude a ton of sour aroma or funk.

A complex amount of Thanksgiving and Christmas flavors, pumpkin, yams all that 'good' stuff (I'm not a yam fan). Comes across neither sweet nor spicy at first, you have to really search to find them, but then it evolves as you drink more, a little bit of the wood flavor comes out, followed finally by a minimal amount of sour, and then it grows, and grows until you do have quite a sour complimentary aspect to the beer.

Complex, but easy drinking at the same time, never detected an appreciable amount of alcohol in here. (701 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -14.6%

Thanks to bmanning for sharing this bottle with Amyliz4, Heather, and myself.

Pours a cloudy orange color with a thin head and some pretty good lacing. There is the nice "galaxy" swirl atop the beer that reminds me of the old space posters in elementary-school classrooms. Some tight bubbles on top. The nose brings a pretty decent amount of initial Brett. The second whiff brings in some light pumpkin and yams--honestly, I can't really tell them apart when there isn't a load of spicing. Some light clove notes.

The taste brings out a bit more of the barrel character with a light lactic presence. Very light, actually. The Autumn Maple base really doesn't come through all that much. There is some light oak and a mild tartness. The body is fairly thin and light with a tiny amount of carbonation. I think this definitely needs some time to further develop the barrel and Brett character. This is just too young at this point. (931 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours a dark brown. CAnt' see through glass. Very little head.

Smells slightly tart/funky, with the familiar autumn maple sweet base coming through. No spices in nose. Interesting. I would haven't have thought it was possible to mask that aspect of the base beer.

Taste is all over the place. The brett is strangling and overpowering, and the sweet, yammy, oak-y undercurrent is fighting for air. I'm not too sure this beer is really in harmony. The brett is like a sledgehammer. I'm struggling to cut through it.

Mouthfeel is good for the style. (549 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +14.1%

This beer looks gorgeous. Beautiful pour, though their is not much head. Smells wonderful, slightly sweet. The barrel fermenting helps to cut some of the sweetness of Autumn Maple, though I find Autumn Maple to be perfectly balanced as is so I don't know that the beer really benefits from this but it is an interesting twist. The beer is well rounded though slightly thin. Intensely drinkable, I could finish off several of these. (431 characters)

Beer served in a Bruery tulip. Beer is amber and mostly clear with a wispy white head of small and medium bubbles that doesn't leave lacing on the glass. Beer looks good.

Beer smells like spice (mild) with some leathery notes of Brett and some yam / squash vegetable character.

Beer is mildly lactic with kind of a bite. Light to medium in body and a creamy mouthfeel. There are some holidayish spices in the palate and some sweet potato feeling flavors but overall the brett wins this fight, and thank goodness. The regular version of this beer is OK, this version is much improved. (585 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -1.6%

Sampled at Black Tuesday, and then again at a tasting thanks to alfrantzell.

It pours, unsurprisingly, the color of yams. Only a thin crust manages to form, but it retains well.

Aromas of caramelized yam and fall spices come through strongly behind a foundation of oak barrel. Fruity and leathery notes from the brettanomyces don't quite gel with the base beer, but it's still pretty enjoyable.

The palate opens with fruity acetic sourness, which is initially dominant until the beer warms up. Caramelized yams and spices begin to appear toward the mid-palate, while the brett lends a slight phenolic character reminiscent of plastic. Oak and tannins have a slight presence in the finish, though the beer ends on a more spicy note. Sweetness from both malt and yams reveals itself much more as the beer reaches room temperature, which is something of a saving grace as it helps to balance the phenols and acid from the brett.

A strange one, but ultimately interesting and enjoyable. Last year's Bourbon Barrel Aged Autumn Maple is a superior beer, however. (1,060 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +7.6%

On-tap at Black Tuesday

A: The pour is a dark amber color with a nice big off-white head and some sticky lacing on the side of the glass.

S: A very interesting nose to this beer. Mildly tart up front with the usual spices of Autumn Maple coming through, not much of the yams, though. The wood is quite strong, but I like that characteristic.

T: Light lactic tartness with faint hints of slightly tart dark fruits (mainly cherries and plums). That seemed sort of strange, but I like it for whatever reason. The spices are pronounced with the woodiness being a bit more subdued.

M: The body is medium with a high level of carbonation and a fairly dry finish.

D: Like Gunga Galunga, this was a really interesting beer. I liked the combination of the mild tartness with the generally hearty character of Autumn Maple. (818 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

On-tap at The Bruery's Black Tuesday event, about 9 oz. total,

A: Pours a medium amber to burnt orange, good head retention, solid lace.

S: Classic Autumn Maple nose, sugary yams and spice. The different aging adds a very nice acidic note, lactic.

T: Delicious mix of squash, winter spice and acid. The acidity opens the beer up, adds a little funk, and for me, the best Autumn Maple incarnation I've had so far.

M: Medium to full-bodied, moderate acidity, quite smooth, nice finish and aftertaste.

D: Just a really good beer. Combining fall beer and sours just make for a delicious product, well worth the purchase price. (627 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours an opaque brown with minimal head.

Smells terriffic; candied yams and bananas? with some spices and sweet toffee and bourbon.

Taste is a bit of a letdown from the nose. Taste is buttery bourbon being prominent and sweet and spicy yams making up the bulk of the flavors but somehow the taste didn't work for me.

Mouthfeel is good but drinkability is hurt because this is just not something you would want to drink much of.

Well, it was a beautiful fall day here in MI and I had my family over for turkey dinner so I was stoked to crack this bottle open but my dad had the same reaction as I did when he replied simply "this one is not good" (649 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +12.5%

Looks like a bonfire with a fat bubbly head on it that died down a bit from the acidity.

Smells like a Thanksgiving dinner...spice, pumpkin, burnt caramelized plum, rum raisin...the list goes on. Has a nice spritzy sourness to it as well...

Tart, creamy, malty, spicy and plentiful. Sour maple has a great tart smack at the end. We were pairing it with fresh pumpkin pie...the best pairing ever. It was lacking in body....Needs more booty.

Mouthfeel was sharp and creamy and then died off within seconds. It has a nice lingering spice ambiance...4/5...

Pretty strong, tart and spicy...could be more drinkable...Maybe in 3 years! (632 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

As I raced up Grand Avenue, fighting tooth and nail just to get to the Orange Circle and pick up my beer allocation, all I could think was, "Why are you going 30 in a 45 zone, guy driving the car in front of me?" However, after finally reaching old town Orange (and battling the requisite Velocitaptor), I parked and prepared myself to pick up some awesome beer. And then to carry a heavy box a few blocks back to my car. Excitedly, I waited for the weekend, when I could chill and drink a few of my newest best friends. Finally, Sunday came, and, with my brother and his fiancée in attendance from Portland, I began the traditional Sunday service of the Minor Reformed Western Coastal Church of Beer. Notes from the sermon:

A: Pours an opaque brown with almost no head. Even after I started pouring a little violently, barely managed to get any head out of it. Still, has an inviting brown appearance.

S: Has a bit of a tart smell, similar to a sour but slightly less pronounced. I found the tart smell somewhat surprising (my expectation was that it would be a bit more robust, rich smell instead of a poignant tartness). I'd call it a pleasant surprise.

T: Complex, complex, complex (in all the best ways). When it first introduces itself to your palate, you get a lot more of the tart flavor. But as you progress through this journey of a beer, you begin to bring out more of the subtle spicy flavor. Once you start picking up that sweet/spicy yam flavor, it opens up, giving you a wonderful barrel aged flavor.

M: For how heavy of a beer it is, the mouthfeel is fairly light. Glides easily across the tongue, with only a bit of thickness to it. Overall I'd say it's a medium mouthfeel, but (again) feels lighter than it looks.

D: As with pretty much all Bruery beers, this isn't something you'd pick up a case of and drink all day while watching football. But, when you want a treat, this is a beer for the role.

Retiring to my couch for some pleasant television, I had but a single thought, which was confirmed by my fellow tasters: I want to drink this beer with a pumpkin pie. Can't wait for the special thanksgiving service of the Minor Reformed Western Coastal Church of Beer.

May hops be with you, and grain guide you, and may yeast be with you and your family. (2,281 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last