100% Barrel Fermented Autumn Maple - The Bruery

100% Barrel Fermented Autumn Maple100% Barrel Fermented Autumn Maple

good

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-18-2010)
John11486

4.5/5  rDev +22%

02-15-2012 19:40:36 | More by John11486
KevSal

3.43/5  rDev -7%

Finally getting to this one. Given to me by arbitrator at the fifty fifty release, thanks mihir, I appreciate it.

I love pumpkin ales but I've never been a big fan of the base beer (although I hear the BA version is great.) this ones gettin pretty rare these days. I believe this is 2 years and some change old now. (2009?)

750 poured into a tulip

A- look just like the base, deep slightly murky reddish orange. Barely a half inch of head that doesn't last too long. Disappears quickly to a ring around the glass.

S- smells like a over spiced pumpkin ale with a sourness scent in the back end. Very interesting, not sure which way the flavors will go with this guy.

T- the sourness comes out pretty strong on the front and end, taste like a soured pumpkin ale that isn't intergrated well, more like an accident. Not as bad as the stories I've heard of this guy. It's got a slight taste of oud bruin which is a favorite style of mine, I can enjoy this. I believe the very base beer is a brown.

M- mouthfeel is alright, well carbonated, no alcohol at all which is pretty impressive for a 10% beer, glad I dont need to be in at work till noon tomorrow haha.

O- this is an alight beer, wasnt site what to expect from a beer when it's been 100% barrel fermented, this one was not a complete train wreck however it doesn't surprised me it has been retired. Ive had much worse ( 1 Door comes to mind), and I actually enjoy this more than the regular version.

Give it a shot if you've got one, a must if ur doing a autumn maple tasting.

01-12-2012 08:36:19 | More by KevSal

11-14-2011 16:06:12 | More by JMRSN
davey101

Connecticut

3.7/5  rDev +0.3%

750ml bottle into a tulip glass. Big thanks to BeerAndBourbon for this want of mine.

A - Dark reddish brown, fairly cloudy body. Almost no head forms, just some large dirty off white bubbles around the edge. Some decent legs and lacing

S - Its amazing what brett does to a beer. Smells like an oddly spiced thanksgiving gueze. Bright funky tones and vinegar, followed by some fall spices and earthy yam aromas and finally a bit of alcohol. The funk is very dominating.

T - Tart. Funky horse blanket and some notes that are borderline citrus, but not in the fruity sense. This is accompanied by earthy yams, caramel, and some nutmeg. A bit of oak as well, but no bourbon notes. Very interesting and unique. Mouth feel is a bit thin, but carbonation is moderate and decent for the flavors.

O - This is a much different beast than the regular autumn maple. The funk is on full display here, where as the yams and fall spices are faint and in the background. I think I liked this beer, it was just so....weird.

11-10-2011 03:34:15 | More by davey101
BearsOnAcid

Maroon body with a small white head.

Acidic, funky nose. I'm starting to recognize it as the signature Bruery funk. Strangely vinous and cherry like.

The yams have gone bad in this one. I'm wondering why this was even made. It's a very strange beer to begin with. Brown sugar sweetness and yammy, like a thanksgiving dessert, then you toss in this sour rotten cherry vinegar flavor. It's like someone threw up on grandma's famous pumpkin pie.

10-13-2011 14:33:09 | More by BearsOnAcid
amphion1065

4.08/5  rDev +10.6%

750 mL bottle from 2010 into a Portsmouth tulip, enjoyed on the first sub-50 degree night of the year. Thanks a lot for this beer Mark, it was totally off my radar.

This one isn't the belle of the ball: it pours a reddish, murky brown, with a half-finger light brown head made up of some of the biggest, loosest bubbles I've ever seen in a beer. Even aggressive subsequent pours didn't change the look of this one too much.

Just a ton of tart funk in the nose. Totally blind, I'd probably peg this for an Oud Bruin, and the vinegar is very present. But there are some very unique aromatic elements that do remind me of the regular Autumn Maple. Though I can't really detect yams, I do get a lot of sweet berries and some toasty coconut. Read aloud, that combination doesn't sound too appealing, but it works very well here.

A lot of bretty funk up front, combined with those rich, autumnal fruit flavors of Autumn Maple. Again, there is a very pronounced vinegar character reminiscent of an Oud Bruin or Flanders Red, but what gets me is the slight cheesy funk at work as well. This tastes earthy and sour, with just a touch of alcohol heat.

As the appearance indicated, the mouthfeel is a little flat, and a little thin as well. It certainly doesn't kill the overall package, but a little more carbonation would be nice. To me, this almost felt (and, actually, looked) like it was served from a cask.

I really wasn't a fan of the regular Autumn Maple when I tried it last year - I thought it was sort of a muddled, sub-standard fall seasonal that fell short of many pumpkin beers I enjoy. I never would have expected that Brett would improve this beer immeasurably, but the BA version really is a different animal. A very unique, very tasty beer.

09-18-2011 23:42:13 | More by amphion1065
DovaliHops

4.53/5  rDev +22.8%

2010 Bottle...Thanks Chad for this opportunity to try this gem! Pours a muddy, reddish-brown with a small, off-white head that disappears quickly. Scent is WOW! Blowing my mind...wasn't expecting this. Tons off Brett...I didn't think this beer was wild or even sour...I love it! Smells delicious. Has some definite funk and spicy aromas...hints of vanilla and sweet malt, but the Brett is king in this department. Taste does not disappoint following such an amazing nose. Tart, pumpkin/yam flavors on the palate with spiciness in the throat. Once again, wasn't expecting this to be sour. Light cinnamon and nutmeg with some cherry sweetness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and mouth puckering. Drinkability is very high. Overall, it's been so long since I've had regular Autumn Maple...but I can tell you this blows it outta the water. Amazing beer!

08-29-2011 07:41:44 | More by DovaliHops
phichifiji00

4.75/5  rDev +28.7%

2010 bottle poured into Bruery Tulip glass:

Appearance: slightly hazy, coppery brown in color, minimal head, that fades slowly.

Smell: Heavy Brettanomyces sent in the forefront, spices, maple syrup, brown sugar, yams (minimal compared to regular Autumn Maple).

Taste: Sour, spices, initially tastes very similar to Lost Abbey Veritas 003 or 004, then has the typical Autumn Maple spice, yam and molasses taste towards the finish.

Mouth: Light, bubbly, tart and acidic.

Overall: An amazing, funky beer. Completely unexpected taste and a major deviation from the run of the mill Autumn Maple.

08-28-2011 07:45:27 | More by phichifiji00
HopHead84

4.15/5  rDev +12.5%

8/1/2011

Bottle poured into a snifter. Cold stored since the release.

A: Appearance is an attractive deep reddish brown with a finger of beige bubbly froth that's fast fading, leaving traces of lace on the glass.

S: Tart and lactic cherries with sweet baked bread and a moderate vinegar presence. Vanilla is accompanied by yam, allspice, ginger, maple, nutmeg, and cinnamon. This smells awesome. I'm really surprised. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting this. Fantastic.

T: Bready and sweet up front, segueing into tart cherry and apple with a firm lactic presence. Oak melds with vanilla. Maple syrup is pervasive and delicious. I detect nutmeg, light ginger, cinnamon, and a touch of molasses as well. The finish is lightly sour, with a low level of vinegar and a decisive tart cherry note accompanying the spice.

M: Upper medium in body with moderate carbonation.

Overall: This one took me by surprise. I really enjoyed this and wish I'd opened it on a weekend so I could drink more of it. Not unlike an Oud Bruin. Recommended.

08-02-2011 04:43:33 | More by HopHead84
rye726

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Thanks to a good friend for the chance to try this one. Pours a nice amber brown with a silky tan head. Nose has oak, sweet malts, yams, spices, maple, caramel, toffee and oak. Taste has a nice complexity to it. Body a bit thin, but drinks nice. Another innovative example of a classic style of beer. More brewers should barrel ferment their ales. But then continue to age it in a fresh liquor or wine barrel.

07-12-2011 00:28:15 | More by rye726
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

I really loved this one. Shared at with some good friends this one was poured into a snifter.

Nice orange pour with a small head that faded off slowly and left a nice light bit of lacing around the sides of the glass. Aroma is funky, did not see that coming. Nice sourness that sits on top of caramel sugar, fruit notes, and light earthy and wood like taste. Criso and clean with a nice medium body that lets the flavor really expand on the palate. Nice dry finish lets the sour really explore.

Overall very solid beer. Thanks for bringing this one Calton.

07-01-2011 17:11:55 | More by mikesgroove
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Shared this one with beeruser, funkydelic, and mikesgroove at one of our weekly tastings. Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured a hazy red orange with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, yams, maple syrup, and coriander. The flavor was of sweet malt, yams, maple syrup, and slight sour. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The slight sour aspect going on in this one really added a nice touch to the base beer. This kind of reminded me of Nano Series: S.A.M. that I had awhile back. Only the sour on this one was not as pronounced as with the S.A.M. Glad I have another bottle of this one sitting in the cellar to share with others in the future. Definitely worth trying despite the low ratings it has gotten recently.

06-27-2011 13:33:38 | More by thagr81us
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours little head. Color is a burnt amber orange. Murky.

Aroma: Sour flavors, vinegar, and acidic cherries. Funky. Nothing like the regular AM> Brett flavors as well. Not bad.

Taste: More spice flavors here. Pumpkin, nutmeg, ginger. Sour notes. Cherries and lacto. Brett funk. Some caramel sweetness. Very interesting.

Mouthfeel: Funky and spices. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends kind of dry.

Overall, this is much better than I expected and better than the original. Pretty easy drinking and pretty unique. Not bad.

05-19-2011 20:53:35 | More by mothman
black13

Oregon

Thanks to Vitese for sending me this bottle. I had been eying this since Thanksgiving, but I needed to share it with a couple friends as 750ml on my own is a bit much.

A: Poured into a Hair of the Dog tulip and was given a good head that had large bubbles that persisted throughout the glass. The color is a medium honey/amber color. A very festive, fall color.

S: Wonderful. I picked up the yams as well as some sour fruit, maple and a light vinegar aroma. They all meld together quite well. I quite enjoyed the aroma of this in the glass. I tried to pick up some barrel character, but it wasn't there for me.

T: All the above aromas are very present in every taste. As it warms up the flavor of the yams become more prominant. Towards the end, I would say it was almost sweet, but it didn't take away from the beer at all. It had a good amount of carbonation and coated the mouth just right.

D: A very drinkeable creation from the Bruery. I would have really enjoyed this with a full Thanksgiving dinner. Maybe next year. And as an afterthought, I probably could have polished off a full bottle on my own.

Consumed on 01-26-2011 22:28:01