100% Barrel Fermented Autumn Maple - The Bruery

100% Barrel Fermented Autumn Maple100% Barrel Fermented Autumn Maple

good

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-18-2010)
3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours little head. Color is a burnt amber orange. Murky.

Aroma: Sour flavors, vinegar, and acidic cherries. Funky. Nothing like the regular AM> Brett flavors as well. Not bad.

Taste: More spice flavors here. Pumpkin, nutmeg, ginger. Sour notes. Cherries and lacto. Brett funk. Some caramel sweetness. Very interesting.

Mouthfeel: Funky and spices. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends kind of dry.

Overall, this is much better than I expected and better than the original. Pretty easy drinking and pretty unique. Not bad.

Thanks to Vitese for sending me this bottle. I had been eying this since Thanksgiving, but I needed to share it with a couple friends as 750ml on my own is a bit much.

A: Poured into a Hair of the Dog tulip and was given a good head that had large bubbles that persisted throughout the glass. The color is a medium honey/amber color. A very festive, fall color.

S: Wonderful. I picked up the yams as well as some sour fruit, maple and a light vinegar aroma. They all meld together quite well. I quite enjoyed the aroma of this in the glass. I tried to pick up some barrel character, but it wasn't there for me.

T: All the above aromas are very present in every taste. As it warms up the flavor of the yams become more prominant. Towards the end, I would say it was almost sweet, but it didn't take away from the beer at all. It had a good amount of carbonation and coated the mouth just right.

D: A very drinkeable creation from the Bruery. I would have really enjoyed this with a full Thanksgiving dinner. Maybe next year. And as an afterthought, I probably could have polished off a full bottle on my own.

Consumed on 01-26-2011 22:28:01

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to ipa247 (Jeff) for this one. Poured from a 750ml capped bottle into Lost Abbey stemware. Reviewed from notes.

A: Standard pour yields a .5 finger coarse, light yellow head with moderate retention. Beer is a clear, dark amber. Lacing is spotty and stringy with moderate retention but nice legs. Head retention and lacing need a bit of work but good overall.

S: Nose is cinnamon, brown sugar, and other sweet spices. Yam sweetness is actually detectable. Some nice muted oakiness also. Moderately aromatic. Decent.

T: Opens sweet potatoes, cinnamon, brown sugar, caramel, clove, and some other sweet spices. An oddly muted tartness is present towards the middle. Yam sweetness with notes of vanilla and a bit of booziness towards the end. Finish is sticky and sweet with near no aftertaste. This is decent, but its not as good as the original.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation. Smooth, warm, and oily in the mouth. Silky but with some heat going down. Spicy and accented finish with a slightly woody aftertaste that dissipates quickly. Really smooth and drinkable for such a high abv beer. And from the Bruery no less!

O: While I thought this was an interesting take on Autumn Maple I appreciated the originial version a lot more than this take. An interesting beer and the fact that it still tastes 90% like Autumn Maple means I think its solid, but in the end, not as good as its base.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

Thanks a ton to dfclav for this one.

Pours a very little head, with a rosy brownish color.

Nose has light tart aromas, almost barnyard like but doesn't quite get there, yams, maple, light spices, sweet toasty malts, bit of a sweet fruit like aroma, a little creamy aroma too.

Taste is a bit creamy as well, some nice malts, toasty and creamy malt flavors, some maple syrup, light yam flavor, sweet potato even, bit of toasted malts, light oak, very light tart sour funk, very light barnyard like funk, and a little spicy. Finishes dry and mostly clean but a bit of lingering sour fruit-like yam-like flavors and dry malty flavors.

Medium bodied with lighter carbonation.

Overall interesting, not really better than the original, but some nice light funk and sour additions, the lack of carbonation was a little iffy, but an interesting beer overall. Glad I got to try it.

Thanks to Kegatron for letting me grab this out of a box as his trustee. Poured at 50 degrees into a Bruery tulip.

Appears nice in the glass, dark brown in color, with a light tan head and big bubbles on top from the hard pour. At first I thought it was undercarbed due to the incredibly large size of the bubbles and almost no head, but then it started to crop up and cascade to the top into a little under a finger width. Surprisingly good retention after that initial scare, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells quite sour, and almost identical to an Oud Bruin. There's maybe a bit more sweetness here in the aroma, but it's kind of indescript and I doubt I could pick out yam blindfolded. Perhaps some brown sugar is noticeable, though.

Sweet sugary goodness on the initial sip, but that quickly gets a little cloyingly sweet with lots of brown sugar before souring up with a bunch of vinegar and red wine character. A little bit of cinnamon spice on the tail end makes this beer a bit of a confusing hodgepodge. The flavors work together better than I expected, but I was expecting it to taste pretty bad.

The mouthfeel seems a little bright and poppy for a beer like this, but I think the consistency is about spot on. Kind of a medium/oily feel which moves about the mouth well. Fairly wet finish.

Drinks pretty poorly. It's a challenging beer because of the way the flavors play out, but I wouldn't mind that if they worked in conjunction a little better. A pretty weird experiment of a beer that turned out, well.... weird. Honestly, if you just think of it as an Oud Bruin and forget about the Autumn Maple part it's not half bad. I advise drinking this when you're in a weird mood so you can fit right in.

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%

Yum, yams, oak, maple - just what a tree logger would love

Is it good? Yep its good

Think Autumn Maple mixed with Oud Bruin ale. Add Oak aging, maple syrup and Yams and this is what you get.

There is some vinegar flair added in which is very welcome and takes a little away from the sweetness, but this is pretty tasty stuff and complex enough that most BA's would really go for it... If we were playing golf and this were a par 5, The Bruery hit it and hit it with precision. Some may say a birdie; all I know is as you get towards the bottom of a 750, more of the oud bruin flavors come out and this really becomes more complex with vinegar / brett characteristics really shining through. Appears this has come up in the Fruit / Vegetable beer although it is definitely more on the sour ale / oud bruin side of the spectrum. Medium / thick body with a light carbonation. Caramelized sugars and the belgian yeast still reign in this beer even though it has been 'tainted' with the brett.

not sure exactly what all of the other haters on this beer are complaining about, but this is great stuff for me. Send them my way and I will take them.

Enjoy!

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Bottle shared on New Years Eve with therealnomayo and cmurren25, didn't know what to think and hears why...

A- Looks great has a nice brown appeal with a faint ruby hue. A lively stream of bubbles showing off the carb level that leads to a light tan and foamy head. Very lively and fizzy.

S- What an interesting array of aromas. An upfront warm yam smell with a faint ripe grape aroma. As it warms the warm bourbon and vanilla undertones come out and an interesting spoiled fruit and spice mixture to finish.

T- An odd one definitely. Has an opening of sweet yams and crazy spiciness followed by a lactic sourness and spoiled fruit finish. As it warms I pick up the bourbon, vanilla, wood notes and a touch of lactic sourness. Very odd, but strangely decent.

M- Alive! Crazy carb and medium body pushes the flavors everywhere. The stick around to let you taste everything. Has a strange warming from the barrel and a semi-dry finish.

D- I like the normal or barrel aged version better, but this one is not awful. I kind of like how it's odd mixture of flavors meld and make for an interesting experience. Worth a try.

A nice twist on this one, but go back to barrel aging please!

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

Yet another beer received from the ever-generous neorunner in the Blind Beers BIF. Per his recommendation, this one was poured into a snifter and reviewed completely blind.

Pours a murky copper color that shines in crimson when held to the light. A tiny head of light tan is super fizzy, bubbling like soda before disappearing within seconds and without a trace.

Fruity aroma, like dark cherries, green raisins and plums. Oak aging has imparted some nice vinous character, along with sweet vanilla, balsamic vinegar and perhaps some clove.

Tart lemons in the initial flavor, followed by the heavy woodiness of untoasted oak in the middle. Balsamic, cherry syrup, sweet maple and orange juice mix with lots of brett tartness. A dry finish seems to wipe the mouth clean, but this is reduced as beer warms. Tiny bit of ethanol.

Light and tickly carbonation. This thing's got a smooth medium body with impressive creaminess and is a pleasure to move around.

I had NO idea what beer this could be before I removed neorunner's covering, but it all makes sense now. The brett somewhat overpowers the other flavors in the beer, but you can pick up a bit of the yams and maple if you search for it. I can see this being excellent with white meat or a salad.

2.35/5  rDev -36%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by Nanoslug, I believe. From notes.

A: Pours an opaque mahogany body with a light tan head. Poor retention, no lacing... It looks a bit like dirty pond water.

S: There's a general sweet potato note, grapes, oak, mint, caramel. I remember the base beer having some spice to it. Was that removed here?

T: Oddly tart grapes that clash with bretty funk, sweet potatoes, and a spicy finish of cinnamon. A very kitchen-sink-like effect that I find myself scratching my head over. Awful? Not really. Was I clamoring to get more? No.

M: Thin body with zesty carbonation. It never feels watery, so that's... kind of redeeming, I guess. But the flavors don't blend well together at all.

D: Before this came out, there was a lot of apprehension about the Bruery changing a recipe for the worse -- from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought. The apprehension was well deserved, IMO. I've never had BA Autumn Maple, but the base beer sucks, and this one's worse.

3.1/5  rDev -15.5%

750 ML poured into a tulip. Thanks to Nicks6217 for this.

A-- Poured a deep reddish brown. Honestly a strange looking hazy color. A light brown head that quickly went away and left a small bit of lacing.

S-- A sort of strange funky smell. Get barnyard mixed with some yams and maple syrup. More funky barnyard than anything else.

T-- Different, very different. A lot of spices, namely cinnamon. Maple syrup, some yams and oak. First thought was a sour ale on acid.

M-- A little bit of sour, a little bit of sweet. How about all over the place. Lighter feel and more carbonated that I thought it would be. Not a lot of yams but more maple syrup. A little bit of barrel but not what I expected one bit.

D-- A little bit boozy but that is OK. Just reminds me more of a sour with spices than a brown ale with spices. A lot of funk in this. Obviously an experimental beer. A different one at that.

2.83/5  rDev -22.9%

A nightcap to the Bachelor Weekend Tasting, complete with fatguy domination and big-nutted squirrel photoes on the bottle courtesy of some dag in California via Alex.

A - It's a brown beer with a brown head, that's really about it. It looks formidable enough, no lacing or retention, but it is a deep brown, opaque color that is not bad.

S - Smells a bit like a holiday beer, with yams, pumpkin, spice. I guess there is some barrel in there as well, although for something that says 100% barrel fermented I expected more.

T - Yams, spice, oak, funk. I hope this fell under the category of "Experimental" and then "Oh shit, we need to bottles this and sell or we're taking a big $ loss", cause this is weird and not particularly good. I like yams at Thanksgiving, but not really anywhere else.

M - Light carbonation in a medium bodied beer, not sure of more or less would have helped. Maybe nothing would have.

D - I hypothesized during this tasting that the Bruery will go bankruptcy eventually because of their wierd business model, marketing, and beer. All they need to do is keep churning out beers like this and they will prove me right.

2.6/5  rDev -29.2%

Part of the Grand Finale for Mike's Bachelor Tasting. Thanks goes to fagadeer for sending this to me via Alex. Thanks, slag! Review from notes.

A - Pours brown, light tan-colored head, thin ring around the glass and no retention to speak of or any lacing.

S - Spices, herbs, oak, dark fruits, bourbon. Too much sweetness here that just takes over everything else. Like Jason and Alex mentioned, sweet potatoes are a good descriptor. Not really into drinking sweet potatoes though...ugh.

T - Sweet sugary syrup, dark fruits, oak, bourbon. I didn't get much sourness here, but whatever, it still wasn't any good regardless.

M - Medium, light carbonation (almost flat), creamy finish.

D - Uh, no more, please. Nothing I've had from the Bruery really has blown me away. Please make something I really really like...please! Can't recommend this one....no sir.

2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

A late night finish to our Mike Whale tasting, what a way to go out! Even 20 beers in couldn't make us like this...Pours a medium brown, amber highlights, lightly clear. Very low carbonation...A weird aroma of spices, oak, and sweet potato, reminded me of Thanksgiving dinner. As good as that should sound, just not successful...The taste is more spices and sweet potato liquified with some light sourness...The beer tastes flat and is boring me death.

Another horrible Bruery beer who is quickly becoming DFH. Not worth trying.

3.18/5  rDev -13.4%

Thanks to largadear for this one. Served in a extremely wide tulip at the Allen residence.

A - Pours with a finger of light tan foam that settles to a thick ring and nearly complete cap, leaving behind nice fingers of lace. The body is a hazed ruby brown. Quite attractive.

S - Sweet potato, white grape juice, faint spices and mint. Faint oak and bourbon in there as well.

T - A strange mix of sourness, brett, juice, and a yammy finish. Very weird, and not particularly appealing.

M - Some zesty carbonation and an oddly thin body. Alcohol is well-hidden I suppose.

D - This is pretty underwhelming - far worse than the regular BA Autumn Maple. I finished my glass, but I definitely would decline if offered this again.

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

Brown appearance, a little bit of orange thrown in there for good measure, light on the head side, very light. For being 100% BA, it doesn't exude a ton of sour aroma or funk.

A complex amount of Thanksgiving and Christmas flavors, pumpkin, yams all that 'good' stuff (I'm not a yam fan). Comes across neither sweet nor spicy at first, you have to really search to find them, but then it evolves as you drink more, a little bit of the wood flavor comes out, followed finally by a minimal amount of sour, and then it grows, and grows until you do have quite a sour complimentary aspect to the beer.

Complex, but easy drinking at the same time, never detected an appreciable amount of alcohol in here.

3.13/5  rDev -14.7%

Thanks to bmanning for sharing this bottle with Amyliz4, Heather, and myself.

Pours a cloudy orange color with a thin head and some pretty good lacing. There is the nice "galaxy" swirl atop the beer that reminds me of the old space posters in elementary-school classrooms. Some tight bubbles on top. The nose brings a pretty decent amount of initial Brett. The second whiff brings in some light pumpkin and yams--honestly, I can't really tell them apart when there isn't a load of spicing. Some light clove notes.

The taste brings out a bit more of the barrel character with a light lactic presence. Very light, actually. The Autumn Maple base really doesn't come through all that much. There is some light oak and a mild tartness. The body is fairly thin and light with a tiny amount of carbonation. I think this definitely needs some time to further develop the barrel and Brett character. This is just too young at this point.

Pours a dark brown. CAnt' see through glass. Very little head.

Smells slightly tart/funky, with the familiar autumn maple sweet base coming through. No spices in nose. Interesting. I would haven't have thought it was possible to mask that aspect of the base beer.

Taste is all over the place. The brett is strangling and overpowering, and the sweet, yammy, oak-y undercurrent is fighting for air. I'm not too sure this beer is really in harmony. The brett is like a sledgehammer. I'm struggling to cut through it.

Mouthfeel is good for the style.

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

This beer looks gorgeous. Beautiful pour, though their is not much head. Smells wonderful, slightly sweet. The barrel fermenting helps to cut some of the sweetness of Autumn Maple, though I find Autumn Maple to be perfectly balanced as is so I don't know that the beer really benefits from this but it is an interesting twist. The beer is well rounded though slightly thin. Intensely drinkable, I could finish off several of these.

Beer served in a Bruery tulip. Beer is amber and mostly clear with a wispy white head of small and medium bubbles that doesn't leave lacing on the glass. Beer looks good.

Beer smells like spice (mild) with some leathery notes of Brett and some yam / squash vegetable character.

Beer is mildly lactic with kind of a bite. Light to medium in body and a creamy mouthfeel. There are some holidayish spices in the palate and some sweet potato feeling flavors but overall the brett wins this fight, and thank goodness. The regular version of this beer is OK, this version is much improved.

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

Sampled at Black Tuesday, and then again at a tasting thanks to alfrantzell.

It pours, unsurprisingly, the color of yams. Only a thin crust manages to form, but it retains well.

Aromas of caramelized yam and fall spices come through strongly behind a foundation of oak barrel. Fruity and leathery notes from the brettanomyces don't quite gel with the base beer, but it's still pretty enjoyable.

The palate opens with fruity acetic sourness, which is initially dominant until the beer warms up. Caramelized yams and spices begin to appear toward the mid-palate, while the brett lends a slight phenolic character reminiscent of plastic. Oak and tannins have a slight presence in the finish, though the beer ends on a more spicy note. Sweetness from both malt and yams reveals itself much more as the beer reaches room temperature, which is something of a saving grace as it helps to balance the phenols and acid from the brett.

A strange one, but ultimately interesting and enjoyable. Last year's Bourbon Barrel Aged Autumn Maple is a superior beer, however.

3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

On-tap at Black Tuesday

A: The pour is a dark amber color with a nice big off-white head and some sticky lacing on the side of the glass.

S: A very interesting nose to this beer. Mildly tart up front with the usual spices of Autumn Maple coming through, not much of the yams, though. The wood is quite strong, but I like that characteristic.

T: Light lactic tartness with faint hints of slightly tart dark fruits (mainly cherries and plums). That seemed sort of strange, but I like it for whatever reason. The spices are pronounced with the woodiness being a bit more subdued.

M: The body is medium with a high level of carbonation and a fairly dry finish.

D: Like Gunga Galunga, this was a really interesting beer. I liked the combination of the mild tartness with the generally hearty character of Autumn Maple.

4.47/5  rDev +21.8%

On-tap at The Bruery's Black Tuesday event, about 9 oz. total,

A: Pours a medium amber to burnt orange, good head retention, solid lace.

S: Classic Autumn Maple nose, sugary yams and spice. The different aging adds a very nice acidic note, lactic.

T: Delicious mix of squash, winter spice and acid. The acidity opens the beer up, adds a little funk, and for me, the best Autumn Maple incarnation I've had so far.

M: Medium to full-bodied, moderate acidity, quite smooth, nice finish and aftertaste.

D: Just a really good beer. Combining fall beer and sours just make for a delicious product, well worth the purchase price.

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours an opaque brown with minimal head.

Smells terriffic; candied yams and bananas? with some spices and sweet toffee and bourbon.

Taste is a bit of a letdown from the nose. Taste is buttery bourbon being prominent and sweet and spicy yams making up the bulk of the flavors but somehow the taste didn't work for me.

Mouthfeel is good but drinkability is hurt because this is just not something you would want to drink much of.

Well, it was a beautiful fall day here in MI and I had my family over for turkey dinner so I was stoked to crack this bottle open but my dad had the same reaction as I did when he replied simply "this one is not good"

4.13/5  rDev +12.5%

Looks like a bonfire with a fat bubbly head on it that died down a bit from the acidity.

Smells like a Thanksgiving dinner...spice, pumpkin, burnt caramelized plum, rum raisin...the list goes on. Has a nice spritzy sourness to it as well...

Tart, creamy, malty, spicy and plentiful. Sour maple has a great tart smack at the end. We were pairing it with fresh pumpkin pie...the best pairing ever. It was lacking in body....Needs more booty.

Mouthfeel was sharp and creamy and then died off within seconds. It has a nice lingering spice ambiance...4/5...

Pretty strong, tart and spicy...could be more drinkable...Maybe in 3 years!

4.22/5  rDev +15%

As I raced up Grand Avenue, fighting tooth and nail just to get to the Orange Circle and pick up my beer allocation, all I could think was, "Why are you going 30 in a 45 zone, guy driving the car in front of me?" However, after finally reaching old town Orange (and battling the requisite Velocitaptor), I parked and prepared myself to pick up some awesome beer. And then to carry a heavy box a few blocks back to my car. Excitedly, I waited for the weekend, when I could chill and drink a few of my newest best friends. Finally, Sunday came, and, with my brother and his fiancée in attendance from Portland, I began the traditional Sunday service of the Minor Reformed Western Coastal Church of Beer. Notes from the sermon:

A: Pours an opaque brown with almost no head. Even after I started pouring a little violently, barely managed to get any head out of it. Still, has an inviting brown appearance.

S: Has a bit of a tart smell, similar to a sour but slightly less pronounced. I found the tart smell somewhat surprising (my expectation was that it would be a bit more robust, rich smell instead of a poignant tartness). I'd call it a pleasant surprise.

T: Complex, complex, complex (in all the best ways). When it first introduces itself to your palate, you get a lot more of the tart flavor. But as you progress through this journey of a beer, you begin to bring out more of the subtle spicy flavor. Once you start picking up that sweet/spicy yam flavor, it opens up, giving you a wonderful barrel aged flavor.

M: For how heavy of a beer it is, the mouthfeel is fairly light. Glides easily across the tongue, with only a bit of thickness to it. Overall I'd say it's a medium mouthfeel, but (again) feels lighter than it looks.

D: As with pretty much all Bruery beers, this isn't something you'd pick up a case of and drink all day while watching football. But, when you want a treat, this is a beer for the role.

Retiring to my couch for some pleasant television, I had but a single thought, which was confirmed by my fellow tasters: I want to drink this beer with a pumpkin pie. Can't wait for the special thanksgiving service of the Minor Reformed Western Coastal Church of Beer.

May hops be with you, and grain guide you, and may yeast be with you and your family.

100% Barrel Fermented Autumn Maple from The Bruery