Provisions Series: Gunga Galunga - The Bruery

Provisions Series: Gunga GalungaProvisions Series: Gunga Galunga

good

The Bruery visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.70% ABV

Gunga Galunga is a black beer with Thai influence. Brewed with 100% brettanomyces, kaffir lime leaves and galanga root (also known as Thai ginger, but it's not too ginger-like). This smooth, dry and roasty beer has clear notes of fresh citrus, crushed herbs and will compliment a spicy curry beautifully.

ABV: 7.7%, IBU: 25, SRM: 30, Release: One time only

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-18-2010)
Reviews by Swimsum:
4.1/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured from a bottle into by Bruery tulip.

Pours out very dark brown, possibly black. Once settled into the glass it is black in color with a very thick foam head. The head is dark mocha color. The foam settles to a surprisingly thin layer for how big the head initially was. No light gets through the body of this one. No lacing is left on the glass.

Well the smell on this one is pretty interesting. I'm getting some roast, lime (like listed on the bottle), and some other spices that I'm having trouble picking out.

Very roasty up front. Finishes with some lime which is more zest then the juice. The spices start to come through a bit more as this warms up (was served pretty cold). Ginger? I swear I'm getting that at times. The aftertaste is roastiness and some spice but is actually quite pleasant. One thing I'm left wondering if where is the Brett in all of this? Perhaps it's too young or maybe the Brett just won't be that big of a factor in this beer. I don't know how I would like this if it was sour. But regardless, still wondering where the Brett is.

A pretty creamy feel to this one. Not thick enough to be mouth coating but this has a nice feel to it.

I like it. It has the aspects I was expecting in a black ale and the spices are a nice addition to this. I'm interested to see how this will change as it ages. Only down to one bottle so I'll be waiting for awhile before I crack it.

4.22/5  rDev +22%

There is a ton of stuff going on in this beer and I doubt I was able to pick out the majority of it. A complex, unique beer.

The beer pours a dark brown color with a nice-sized tan head. The aroma is heavy on the chocolate, ginger and mint. The flavor is just as complex with some other added notes. I get a ton of chocolate and mint notes as well as some ginger, lime and other herbal notes. There are also some nice roasted malt notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Very nice.

4.33/5  rDev +25.1%

Probably my highlight of yesterday's Pittsburgh BA gathering at Bocktown, filled a portion of my sample glass with a dark cola russet brown with ruby highlights like cocoa tan head dwindled fairly quickly. Aroma was inviting with layers of citrus with kafir lime additions and spiced with Thai ginger, dark roasts weren't typical in the sense that I didn't get a loat of chocolate or coffee roast. More funky notes with a hint of plastic phenols some where saying band aid but I wasn't feeling it was overbearing to that point. Flavor was excellent there was something piney and spicy that I couldn't put my finger on, I'm guessing this was the Thai ginger that I've never tasted. A really unique beer and I guess it's the type of brew that drives us to seek out these interesting different brews. The dark malts provided a nice layer of dryness with hints of malt sweetness but the beers highlight was the interplay of citrus from the Kafir lime and the Galunga aka spicy ginger notes. I didn't get much phenolics, but the brett did it's job keeping the funk flowing and this beer interesting with hints of lactic acidity. As an American Wild ale I didn't find those overbearing in the sour side of the spectrum actually well balanced and well crafted. Carbonation was lively somewhat effervescent with a dry finish and medium bodied texture. Overall excellent beer, that gives me a bit more faith in the Bruery.

4.13/5  rDev +19.4%

What an interesting beer

Pours a dark stout black. Nice tan head. Decent lacing.

Aroma is crazy. Smells almost like some sage and I can smell that Thai Ginger (galanga root).

Taste is interesting. Sort of roasty and spicy. Dry in the finish. Sort of citric. Very interesting.

Mouthfeel has great carb. Smooth and dry.

Overall a very tasty and very different and interesting beer. Glad I had it on tap here at Bruery Provisions and grabbed some bottles too.

3.43/5  rDev -0.9%

Had at last year’s Black Tuesday release party and had again recently at a small tasting put together by wedgie9. Thanks! Reviewed from notes.

Appearance – Pours into a Lost Abbey tulip with a rather ominous appearance. Quite a bit of head is achieved with a somewhat vigorous pour that dissipates slowly but leaves little lacing.

Smell – Lots of lime, basil, herbs, spices, and roasted malts. Little if any barnyard funk or any other sour/tartness.

Taste – Not sure why this is listed as an AWA. Taste is of herbs and spices, dark roasted malts, lime, and ginger. As the beer warms some licorice qualities come out as well. Not the most pleasant beer.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, creamy mouthfeel, decent carbonation.

Overall – This is worse than I remember it being (granted I had a couple variations of BT in me by the time I had this at the BT release party). What an odd beer.

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours cola-black with a fluffy khaki head that settles to a thick ring and spotty haze. Getting a good amount of earthy Brett in the nose, along with some citrusy lime, dry cocoa powder, and a spicy ginger quality. Weird, but in a good way. Taste is dominated by the dark malt and cocoa powder, with more funky Brett, ginger, and bitter lime peel. Smooth mouthfeel, with a medium body and decent carbonation. Neat beer overall, but not the strongest Bruery offering I've had.

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

2.5/5  rDev -27.7%

3.45/5  rDev -0.3%

3.6/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle thanks to route66pubs.

A - thunder jet black with a khaki head that lasts for minutes. Fantastic lacing.

S - complex is the word. Tea, licorice, juniper. Vanilla, coffee.

T - Light spicy sweetness with a bitter tea finish. Very interesting but super enjoyable.

M - smooth medium body. Light carb.

O - an awesome experiment that has potential. Would be cool to see some recipe adjustments, worth a try.

4.05/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into two St. Bernardus goblets. Thanks to HollyAnn for the assist! Extra special thanks to Tom, Heidi, and Camden for the hook up!

A: Pours a deep cola brown with some faint chestnut highlights. Initial pour got us a nice dark khaki head that sadly didn't hang around for very long. Lace was minimal.

S: Interesting dark fruit, cola nut, and lime zest aroma. Bitter dark chocolate, mint, oak, and black cherry.

T: Extremely close to the smell. I swirled in the sediment and found a layer of creamy, milk chocolate, white pepper, bark, and cardamom.

M: A neat mixture of sweet, tangy, spicy, and dry. I liked the fact that it came off a little raw and unrefined. Finishes with a bit of peppery sizzle. Really quite full and coating.

D: Interesting and different. I'd drink this again in a heartbeat if I could get more. Thankfully I have a hook-up or two in Silver Lake, so I got that going for me...which is nice!

1.5/5  rDev -56.6%

3.68/5  rDev +6.4%

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Served in a snifter.

Really interesting beer. I'll start off with that. Also, i actually liked this quite a bit. Pours black with a single-finger head. The nose brings some basil, lime, and menthol. Strange, but pretty interested. A bit of roasted character fills in the background.

Taste is basil and lime. Maybe it's just me, but I like what The Bruery does with basil. Roasted malt character and lime there as well. A slight touch of chocolate. Body is medium and has nice carbonation. Light and really easy-drinking. An interesting concoction.

2.35/5  rDev -32.1%

Thanks to Jason for sharing this one.

A - It's brown, somewhat murky and dead looking.

S - Spiced all to hell, not something I generally care for in beers, but kind of what I suspected, doesn't mean it smelled good. A little bit like tea, with something I can't quite identify.

T - Bizzare herb taste, bit of mint, and just way spiced. Different, but not in a good way. Don't like it.

M - Medium bodied and carbonated, mouthfeel was fairly unnoticable.

D - Hard to drink given the poor tasting experience, won't have this again.

Provisions Series: Gunga Galunga from The Bruery