Provisions Series: Gunga Galunga - The Bruery

Provisions Series: Gunga GalungaProvisions Series: Gunga Galunga

The Bruery visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-18-2010

Gunga Galunga is a black beer with Thai influence. Brewed with 100% brettanomyces, kaffir lime leaves and galanga root (also known as Thai ginger, but it's not too ginger-like). This smooth, dry and roasty beer has clear notes of fresh citrus, crushed herbs and will compliment a spicy curry beautifully.

ABV: 7.7%, IBU: 25, SRM: 30, Release: One time only
to view more.
Ratings: 104 | Reviews: 41
Reviews by tastyville:
4.2/5  rDev +21%

There is a ton of stuff going on in this beer and I doubt I was able to pick out the majority of it. A complex, unique beer.

The beer pours a dark brown color with a nice-sized tan head. The aroma is heavy on the chocolate, ginger and mint. The flavor is just as complex with some other added notes. I get a ton of chocolate and mint notes as well as some ginger, lime and other herbal notes. There are also some nice roasted malt notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Very nice.

4.32/5  rDev +24.5%

Probably my highlight of yesterday's Pittsburgh BA gathering at Bocktown, filled a portion of my sample glass with a dark cola russet brown with ruby highlights like cocoa tan head dwindled fairly quickly. Aroma was inviting with layers of citrus with kafir lime additions and spiced with Thai ginger, dark roasts weren't typical in the sense that I didn't get a loat of chocolate or coffee roast. More funky notes with a hint of plastic phenols some where saying band aid but I wasn't feeling it was overbearing to that point. Flavor was excellent there was something piney and spicy that I couldn't put my finger on, I'm guessing this was the Thai ginger that I've never tasted. A really unique beer and I guess it's the type of brew that drives us to seek out these interesting different brews. The dark malts provided a nice layer of dryness with hints of malt sweetness but the beers highlight was the interplay of citrus from the Kafir lime and the Galunga aka spicy ginger notes. I didn't get much phenolics, but the brett did it's job keeping the funk flowing and this beer interesting with hints of lactic acidity. As an American Wild ale I didn't find those overbearing in the sour side of the spectrum actually well balanced and well crafted. Carbonation was lively somewhat effervescent with a dry finish and medium bodied texture. Overall excellent beer, that gives me a bit more faith in the Bruery.

4.15/5  rDev +19.6%

What an interesting beer

Pours a dark stout black. Nice tan head. Decent lacing.

Aroma is crazy. Smells almost like some sage and I can smell that Thai Ginger (galanga root).

Taste is interesting. Sort of roasty and spicy. Dry in the finish. Sort of citric. Very interesting.

Mouthfeel has great carb. Smooth and dry.

Overall a very tasty and very different and interesting beer. Glad I had it on tap here at Bruery Provisions and grabbed some bottles too.

3.43/5  rDev -1.2%

Had at last year’s Black Tuesday release party and had again recently at a small tasting put together by wedgie9. Thanks! Reviewed from notes.

Appearance – Pours into a Lost Abbey tulip with a rather ominous appearance. Quite a bit of head is achieved with a somewhat vigorous pour that dissipates slowly but leaves little lacing.

Smell – Lots of lime, basil, herbs, spices, and roasted malts. Little if any barnyard funk or any other sour/tartness.

Taste – Not sure why this is listed as an AWA. Taste is of herbs and spices, dark roasted malts, lime, and ginger. As the beer warms some licorice qualities come out as well. Not the most pleasant beer.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, creamy mouthfeel, decent carbonation.

Overall – This is worse than I remember it being (granted I had a couple variations of BT in me by the time I had this at the BT release party). What an odd beer.

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours cola-black with a fluffy khaki head that settles to a thick ring and spotty haze. Getting a good amount of earthy Brett in the nose, along with some citrusy lime, dry cocoa powder, and a spicy ginger quality. Weird, but in a good way. Taste is dominated by the dark malt and cocoa powder, with more funky Brett, ginger, and bitter lime peel. Smooth mouthfeel, with a medium body and decent carbonation. Neat beer overall, but not the strongest Bruery offering I've had.

3.61/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle thanks to route66pubs.

A - thunder jet black with a khaki head that lasts for minutes. Fantastic lacing.

S - complex is the word. Tea, licorice, juniper. Vanilla, coffee.

T - Light spicy sweetness with a bitter tea finish. Very interesting but super enjoyable.

M - smooth medium body. Light carb.

O - an awesome experiment that has potential. Would be cool to see some recipe adjustments, worth a try.

4.05/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into two St. Bernardus goblets. Thanks to HollyAnn for the assist! Extra special thanks to Tom, Heidi, and Camden for the hook up!

A: Pours a deep cola brown with some faint chestnut highlights. Initial pour got us a nice dark khaki head that sadly didn't hang around for very long. Lace was minimal.

S: Interesting dark fruit, cola nut, and lime zest aroma. Bitter dark chocolate, mint, oak, and black cherry.

T: Extremely close to the smell. I swirled in the sediment and found a layer of creamy, milk chocolate, white pepper, bark, and cardamom.

M: A neat mixture of sweet, tangy, spicy, and dry. I liked the fact that it came off a little raw and unrefined. Finishes with a bit of peppery sizzle. Really quite full and coating.

D: Interesting and different. I'd drink this again in a heartbeat if I could get more. Thankfully I have a hook-up or two in Silver Lake, so I got that going for me...which is nice!

3.68/5  rDev +6.1%

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Served in a snifter.

Really interesting beer. I'll start off with that. Also, i actually liked this quite a bit. Pours black with a single-finger head. The nose brings some basil, lime, and menthol. Strange, but pretty interested. A bit of roasted character fills in the background.

Taste is basil and lime. Maybe it's just me, but I like what The Bruery does with basil. Roasted malt character and lime there as well. A slight touch of chocolate. Body is medium and has nice carbonation. Light and really easy-drinking. An interesting concoction.

2.4/5  rDev -30.8%

Thanks to Jason for sharing this one.

A - It's brown, somewhat murky and dead looking.

S - Spiced all to hell, not something I generally care for in beers, but kind of what I suspected, doesn't mean it smelled good. A little bit like tea, with something I can't quite identify.

T - Bizzare herb taste, bit of mint, and just way spiced. Different, but not in a good way. Don't like it.

M - Medium bodied and carbonated, mouthfeel was fairly unnoticable.

D - Hard to drink given the poor tasting experience, won't have this again.

3.39/5  rDev -2.3%

750mL bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks to Kyle for sharing!

(A)- Pours a dark brown, almost black color. Some tan foam & bubbles.

(S)- Very spicy. Vanilla, raisin, anise, licorice and molasses. Has just a slightly funky background to it.

(T)- Again, very spicy like the smell, but has a raisin, anise, and licorice profile. Slightly funky.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Very spicy with some moderate bitterness. Rich.

(D)- A very different and unique beer. Spicy and exotic. The Brett that is supposed to be in here is very much hidden, but age could help bring that out.

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

From the bottle at Black Tuesday.

A: The pour is a dark brown color, maybe black if you're feeling generous, with a couple finger's worth of tan head.

S: The roast is the primary aroma to this one along with some definite herbal notes. The lime leaves really comes through (giving an almost basil character) and there's a bit of lime zest too.

T: Not shockingly, the flavor is very similar to the aroma. Lots of roast with a fairly high level of bitterness. The lime notes are subtle, but the herb notes are quite strong.

M: The body is medium with a fairly high level of carbonation to it. Fairly dry on the finish.

D: As you might expect, this was interesting. It was surprisingly mild in flavor for a beer with such an array of ingredients.

2.78/5  rDev -19.9%

Big thanks to the crew at Brick Store for leaving me some of this stuff when I stopped through in July. But boy was I under-prepared for what this beer was!

A - Thin, but otherwise looks kinda like a stout. Great head leaving some spotty lace.

S - Wow, citrus is huge. Lemon is a big aroma component as is sage and lemongrass. Pithy. Also, weird.

T - Bitter and pithy. More hoppy than I'd like with everything else going on. Loads and loads... buttloads even?... of lime here.

O - A fun experiment but way too odd for a repeat.

3.53/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

129th Review on BA
Bottle to Tulip

App- A big dark pour with some ruby highlights in the light. Poured a very dark brown almost black with a big 2 finger pillowy head.

Smell- After it got passed around the room and I finally got to smell it. I get the lime of course, honey, almond and yeast.

Taste- A bold mix of flavors in this glass. It's quite different but not bad. I find it to be above an average beer just a lot to get used to.

Mouth- Its a medium bodied beer with what seems to be a mid/high carb level. Its presents kind of in a semi-dry wine sort of way.

Drink- Its a fine beer in its own way. Unique, raw, different and it aims to be. Not for everyone, but some beers aren't and that's okay. I was split on my comfort level of this beer but ill say it was a 70/30 like/dislike.

4.23/5  rDev +21.9%

pours deep black with a thin head of medium sized beige bubbles. the bubbles dissipate quickly, leaving a temporary lacing that clears after a few minutes. this dark ale smells deeply of dark chocolate, walnuts and some slight boozy alcohol scents. I taste a lot of chocolate, something oddly spicy like ginger (but not like ginger), and a very unique and refreshing pucker on the tail end of the taste. it feels great in my mouth and I plan on drinking it all, making it drinkable. if you find this, try it out...

4.16/5  rDev +19.9%

Bottle opened on 10.5.13

A - Pours a dark brown with a huge dark tan foamy head that fades slowly.

S - Lots of lime, some mint, a touch of Brett.

T - Coffee at first, then more mint and lime.

D - Good carbonation with a light body.

O - A unique brew, roasted and coffee but still fresh and light. I was told I must be crazy to like this one, true!

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

4/7/2012

A: Near black with a finger of brown foam.

S: Redolent of a mild potpourri with chocolate, lime, and some strange spices that are unfamiliar to me. There's chocolate beneath herbal aromatics.

T: Chocolate and lime with more herbal note and strange foreign spices. It actually tastes pretty good. Spices are mellow and there's a pretty nice chocolate profile.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is sticky and prickly.

Overall: This beer is a running joke with friends but it was much better than I expected. Perhaps the spices were much stronger when it was first release.

2.54/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to moz9 for this bottle. Poured July 2011.

Nice looking beer. The appearance is the best thing about it. Black in color, for some reason it reminds me of black wood, with a very nice head on top.

Big mint on the nose, woah. The beer is black in color but the nose only suggests green things--mint, weird leaves, pine needles. Smells a little bit like rotting trash too. Maybe a little sourness, but I'm not sure if that's from the rotting trash and mint or from wild yeast/bacteria.

Well, the taste is a little better than the nose. All the mint and leaves and so on from the nose are also in the flavor, but there's some roasty stout or porter like malt flavors there too that stop the the odd flavors from being sickeningly minty/piney. I thought this was supposed to be a sour, but it isn't. Very slightly tart on the finish, but it's not sour.

This reminds me a lot of Lucky Bucket's Certified Evil, though this isn't nearly as terrible as that one. Drinkable and interesting the first time but I don't really want to have it again.

5.1/10

4.45/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle. Decanted into a tulip glass.
Appearance: As black as my soul. Strong, persistent, tan head.
Smell: Sweet and sour. Lime zest and dark chocolate. Almost smells like mint chocolate chip ice cream.
Taste: Extremely unique. Dark roasted malt complimented by the subtle sourness of the brett, and a limey bite on the finish. My mind’s eye paints the picture of a key lime pie with a burned molasses crust.
Mouthfeel: Full and round. The sweetness sits on the tongue, but the carbonation and citrus eventually wash it away.
Overall: I’ve been sitting on this bottle for a long time, so I was very excited to finally get into it (the bottle says it will age well for up to three years, so I thought I’d test that theory). Overall I am blown away. For what I would normally consider a “concept beer”, this works for me on every level. I absolutely love it.

3.94/5  rDev +13.5%

Bottle pour at the Bruery Reserve Society initiation party at The Phoenix Club in Anaheim, CA.

Pours an opaque super dark brown/black with a tan head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. No lacing on this one. Smell is mainly of exotic spices and herbs. Taste is of dark malt and the spice flavors. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that reminds me a lot of Ballast Point's Indra Kunindra with the exotic spices.

2.02/5  rDev -41.8%

Chilled bottle into a glass. I don't know who shared this... Nanoslug? To the surprisingly effeminate, suddenly beardless Adam (who has great legs): thanks.

A: Pours a dark brown color. Even a small pour is opaque. It's capped with some tan foam.

S: This smells interesting. The kaffir lime is quite noticeable, as well as a base roast. It's also menthol-y and carries a hint of booze. It actually reminds of some after-dinner olamo paan ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paan ) in its aroma.

T: Yes, paan. Lime, menthol, some roast, a basil light leafiness. It's interesting, but altogether gross.

M: Medium-bodied. Semi-dry. I'm not even sure what's wrong here, but I don't like it. The mentholy flavor makes it unappealing.

D: This beer was an interesting experiment, and that's kind of it. It's not horribly offensive, but it doesn't pass for good, either. largadeer managed to pronounce this as a beer that was "not palatable" and "not something I wanted to finish" and admitted that "I couldn't drink enough of it to review," but it's "not an F, maybe a B-," which makes exactly zero sense. But then, it physically pains him not to give everything an A+. This is not the worst beer I've ever tried, but if you don't even want to drink it....

4.1/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured from a bottle into by Bruery tulip.

Pours out very dark brown, possibly black. Once settled into the glass it is black in color with a very thick foam head. The head is dark mocha color. The foam settles to a surprisingly thin layer for how big the head initially was. No light gets through the body of this one. No lacing is left on the glass.

Well the smell on this one is pretty interesting. I'm getting some roast, lime (like listed on the bottle), and some other spices that I'm having trouble picking out.

Very roasty up front. Finishes with some lime which is more zest then the juice. The spices start to come through a bit more as this warms up (was served pretty cold). Ginger? I swear I'm getting that at times. The aftertaste is roastiness and some spice but is actually quite pleasant. One thing I'm left wondering if where is the Brett in all of this? Perhaps it's too young or maybe the Brett just won't be that big of a factor in this beer. I don't know how I would like this if it was sour. But regardless, still wondering where the Brett is.

A pretty creamy feel to this one. Not thick enough to be mouth coating but this has a nice feel to it.

I like it. It has the aspects I was expecting in a black ale and the spices are a nice addition to this. I'm interested to see how this will change as it ages. Only down to one bottle so I'll be waiting for awhile before I crack it.

3.97/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured a very dark brown almost black with a half finger of tan head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma was quite intresting consisting of spices, herbal, ginger, lime leafs, roastiness, chocolate malts, and slight coffee notes as well. The ginger and lime leaves were a bit more potent on the palate with some mint character alongside roasty herbal coffee accents but still had chocolate malt flavors. The brew was medium in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a herbal, spice, slight sweet and mild astringent, but earthy finish; very intresting. It drank decent considering the madness going on but to me its one that I would be done with after one bottle. Its still worth trying.

2.59/5  rDev -25.4%

Mocha brown with a thick coffee colored layer.

???, nuts, honey. Very very light in the scent dept.

Coffee, earth, nuts, spices, a bit of brown sugar.

ABV hard to detect, standard carbonation and mouthfeel.

Never would have guessed this to be an AWA. Tastes like it belongs in a porter category. No brett infection detected, not particularly appealing.

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

Sampled at Redlight Redlight; January 2011
This beer pours from the bottle with a black color and a lightly browned, dark tan colored head. The aroma has a very bright, floral ginger-like not to it that seems to have a citrus-like component to it. The nose is really, really spiced and I am finding it quite difficult to get any sense of the base beer at all.

The flavor is much the same with a big ginger flavor as well as some solid lime-like flavors that provide some extra piquancy. The finish sees a hint of roasted character coming thorugh as welll as a touch of cocoa-like dusty grain notes and some toasted whole grain notes that add some rustic, brown bread character to the end of the beer.

I can’t remember the last time I had a beer that was so devoid of malt, hop and yeast character; devoid is perhaps the wrong word, as the malt & yeast character is here, there is just so much spiciness here that it drowns out the base beer almost completely. If you enjoy ginger and lime flavors then you will like this beer; luckily I do like these flavors and they were so over the top here that I found myself enjoying this quite a bit. I would bet that this has some great culinary uses, and given that I likely wouldn’t want to tackle anywhere near a full bottle of this, that would be a prudent use.

2.21/5  rDev -36.3%

Poured into chalice. Pours 1/2 finger of fizzy beige head. Color is a surprising jet black. Good retention, but no lace.

Aroma: Limes, spices, chocolate, odd funk. Very unique beer.

Taste: I get an odd chalky flavor and some green beans. Chocolate, limes, maybe brett. Odd. Kind of minty. Some booze shows.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, smooth, fizzy, and roasted. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends kind of clean.

Overall, I wasn't too impressed with this one. Not really enjoyable. Not something for me and not something I would ever recommend.

to view more.