Provisions Series: Gunga Galunga - The Bruery

good

The Bruery visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-18-2010

Gunga Galunga is a black beer with Thai influence. Brewed with 100% brettanomyces, kaffir lime leaves and galanga root (also known as Thai ginger, but it's not too ginger-like). This smooth, dry and roasty beer has clear notes of fresh citrus, crushed herbs and will compliment a spicy curry beautifully.

ABV: 7.7%, IBU: 25, SRM: 30, Release: One time only
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.45/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle. Decanted into a tulip glass.
Appearance: As black as my soul. Strong, persistent, tan head.
Smell: Sweet and sour. Lime zest and dark chocolate. Almost smells like mint chocolate chip ice cream.
Taste: Extremely unique. Dark roasted malt complimented by the subtle sourness of the brett, and a limey bite on the finish. My mind’s eye paints the picture of a key lime pie with a burned molasses crust.
Mouthfeel: Full and round. The sweetness sits on the tongue, but the carbonation and citrus eventually wash it away.
Overall: I’ve been sitting on this bottle for a long time, so I was very excited to finally get into it (the bottle says it will age well for up to three years, so I thought I’d test that theory). Overall I am blown away. For what I would normally consider a “concept beer”, this works for me on every level. I absolutely love it. (875 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +22.5%

750 mL bottle, picked up at the Provisions store, got to love the Caddyshack reference,

A: Pours a deep brown with a frothy full tan head. Lots of lace.

S: Interesting mix, definitely Asian inspired. Lime, ginger, and a bit of teriyaki sauce with some chocolate malt.

T: The galanga (blue ginger) stands out a bit with some limeade sweetness. Bitter malt on the back end, very fruity.

M: Medium-bodied, frothy and very easy carbonation. Light and springy on the palate.

D: The lime adds a lot of ease to this beer, very drinkable for how dark it is and the higher ABV. Good show by The Bruery in their Provisions series, all three have been stand out efforts. (664 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +22%

The Dalai Lama himself would enjoy this crisp and refreshing beer.

Don't be fooled by the initial pour. While this beer pours dark and with a thick hazelnut head, its flavor has the depth of a dark ale that leaves your palate clean and with a hint of citrus. Full-bodied and with an excellent, bright mouth feel, this beer would pair well with strong foods like Thai, with lighter fare like chicken dishes, or even with a fresh dinner salad.

Robust flavor. A light aftertaste. This smooth tasting beer is enjoyable and easy to drink.

This beer is so enjoyable, in fact, that I think I'll have another right now - so I've got that goin' for me, which is nice... (664 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +21.7%

Probably my highlight of yesterday's Pittsburgh BA gathering at Bocktown, filled a portion of my sample glass with a dark cola russet brown with ruby highlights like cocoa tan head dwindled fairly quickly. Aroma was inviting with layers of citrus with kafir lime additions and spiced with Thai ginger, dark roasts weren't typical in the sense that I didn't get a loat of chocolate or coffee roast. More funky notes with a hint of plastic phenols some where saying band aid but I wasn't feeling it was overbearing to that point. Flavor was excellent there was something piney and spicy that I couldn't put my finger on, I'm guessing this was the Thai ginger that I've never tasted. A really unique beer and I guess it's the type of brew that drives us to seek out these interesting different brews. The dark malts provided a nice layer of dryness with hints of malt sweetness but the beers highlight was the interplay of citrus from the Kafir lime and the Galunga aka spicy ginger notes. I didn't get much phenolics, but the brett did it's job keeping the funk flowing and this beer interesting with hints of lactic acidity. As an American Wild ale I didn't find those overbearing in the sour side of the spectrum actually well balanced and well crafted. Carbonation was lively somewhat effervescent with a dry finish and medium bodied texture. Overall excellent beer, that gives me a bit more faith in the Bruery. (1,413 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +19.2%

pours deep black with a thin head of medium sized beige bubbles. the bubbles dissipate quickly, leaving a temporary lacing that clears after a few minutes. this dark ale smells deeply of dark chocolate, walnuts and some slight boozy alcohol scents. I taste a lot of chocolate, something oddly spicy like ginger (but not like ginger), and a very unique and refreshing pucker on the tail end of the taste. it feels great in my mouth and I plan on drinking it all, making it drinkable. if you find this, try it out... (514 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +18.3%

There is a ton of stuff going on in this beer and I doubt I was able to pick out the majority of it. A complex, unique beer.

The beer pours a dark brown color with a nice-sized tan head. The aroma is heavy on the chocolate, ginger and mint. The flavor is just as complex with some other added notes. I get a ton of chocolate and mint notes as well as some ginger, lime and other herbal notes. There are also some nice roasted malt notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Very nice. (490 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +18.3%

A - Pours a dark black with a finger of frothy chocolate head. The head fades down fairly slowly leaving behind some nice lace.

S - Aroma is a roasted and burnt malts, lime and citrus, Indian spices, ginger, and some brett character.

T - Starts off with a mix of roasted and burnt malts with some Indian spices and some ginger. Through the middle, some Brett funkiness comes through with some kaffir lime and some stronger spices. The finish is a mix of some roasted and burnt flavors, more Indian spices, ginger, touch of sourness, and a bit of cocoa.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet, spicy, and funky finish.

D - Very drinkable. Interesting mix of flavors with the dark sour ale and the curry spices, but the end result is a pretty tasty mix. (787 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +17.5%

Purchased at The Bruery Provisions in Orange, CA.

A: Pitch black with a medium brown head. Decent retention but no lacing.

S: Nose is so different from the taste. Everything is there. Ginger and lime stand out.

T: Huuuuge coffee, massive flavor, and so smooth. Delicious and perfectly roasted coffee. The other flavors show up and complement the overall character. A unique black ale to say the least.

M: Smooth, delicious, bit of a bite from the carbonation. Pleasant and unique flavors throughout.

O: Amazing stuff. Don't know why it's getting hated on as far as the average rating is concerned. (602 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +17.2%

Bottle opened on 10.5.13

A - Pours a dark brown with a huge dark tan foamy head that fades slowly.

S - Lots of lime, some mint, a touch of Brett.

T - Coffee at first, then more mint and lime.

D - Good carbonation with a light body.

O - A unique brew, roasted and coffee but still fresh and light. I was told I must be crazy to like this one, true! (353 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +16.9%

What an interesting beer

Pours a dark stout black. Nice tan head. Decent lacing.

Aroma is crazy. Smells almost like some sage and I can smell that Thai Ginger (galanga root).

Taste is interesting. Sort of roasty and spicy. Dry in the finish. Sort of citric. Very interesting.

Mouthfeel has great carb. Smooth and dry.

Overall a very tasty and very different and interesting beer. Glad I had it on tap here at Bruery Provisions and grabbed some bottles too. (461 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured into a Bruery tulip.

Dark black beer that light cannot penetrate. Half an inch of fluffy/rocky beige head.

The nose is ridiculous, lime, mint, and a touch of banana. Mostly a harmonious marriage of mint and lime though with some dark malt underlying.

The taste is chocolaty at first then minty then a hit of lime. Wow, this is so weird/interesting and good. This would be so amazing with Thai food. The mint/sage/herbs and lime with the dark chocolaty malt meld surprisingly well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth and subtle carbonation. Just right for the beer. Surprisingly creamy.

Where did this beer come from??? Seriously like nothing I have ever had... ever. I think I love this beer. It's like when you meet someone you don't complete understand, but something about them is so intriguing that you know you need to spend more time with them to figure out exactly why you are so intrigued. Sorry to get all RoCo here, but yeah, this beer kicks ass! I'm gonna go order some Thai food. (1,011 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a bottle into by Bruery tulip.

Pours out very dark brown, possibly black. Once settled into the glass it is black in color with a very thick foam head. The head is dark mocha color. The foam settles to a surprisingly thin layer for how big the head initially was. No light gets through the body of this one. No lacing is left on the glass.

Well the smell on this one is pretty interesting. I'm getting some roast, lime (like listed on the bottle), and some other spices that I'm having trouble picking out.

Very roasty up front. Finishes with some lime which is more zest then the juice. The spices start to come through a bit more as this warms up (was served pretty cold). Ginger? I swear I'm getting that at times. The aftertaste is roastiness and some spice but is actually quite pleasant. One thing I'm left wondering if where is the Brett in all of this? Perhaps it's too young or maybe the Brett just won't be that big of a factor in this beer. I don't know how I would like this if it was sour. But regardless, still wondering where the Brett is.

A pretty creamy feel to this one. Not thick enough to be mouth coating but this has a nice feel to it.

I like it. It has the aspects I was expecting in a black ale and the spices are a nice addition to this. I'm interested to see how this will change as it ages. Only down to one bottle so I'll be waiting for awhile before I crack it. (1,407 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into two St. Bernardus goblets. Thanks to HollyAnn for the assist! Extra special thanks to Tom, Heidi, and Camden for the hook up!

A: Pours a deep cola brown with some faint chestnut highlights. Initial pour got us a nice dark khaki head that sadly didn't hang around for very long. Lace was minimal.

S: Interesting dark fruit, cola nut, and lime zest aroma. Bitter dark chocolate, mint, oak, and black cherry.

T: Extremely close to the smell. I swirled in the sediment and found a layer of creamy, milk chocolate, white pepper, bark, and cardamom.

M: A neat mixture of sweet, tangy, spicy, and dry. I liked the fact that it came off a little raw and unrefined. Finishes with a bit of peppery sizzle. Really quite full and coating.

D: Interesting and different. I'd drink this again in a heartbeat if I could get more. Thankfully I have a hook-up or two in Silver Lake, so I got that going for me...which is nice! (945 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +13.5%

Thanks to otakuale for sharing this as well!

poured into a deschutes tulip.

pours a very deep dark brown with a light mocha head that is very fluffy.

the aroma is lots of spice with a mild malty medium coffee roast type smell.

the taste is lots of spice followed my the medium body malt. Some mild chocolate and coffee coming through a tad. The dominating flavor is the spices though.

Very similar to the TREAT by midnight sun... just without the pumkpin part. (465 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured a very dark brown almost black with a half finger of tan head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma was quite intresting consisting of spices, herbal, ginger, lime leafs, roastiness, chocolate malts, and slight coffee notes as well. The ginger and lime leaves were a bit more potent on the palate with some mint character alongside roasty herbal coffee accents but still had chocolate malt flavors. The brew was medium in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a herbal, spice, slight sweet and mild astringent, but earthy finish; very intresting. It drank decent considering the madness going on but to me its one that I would be done with after one bottle. Its still worth trying. (719 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a deep, brilliant black color with light cream colored frothy head that settles in for the rest of the beer. Soft carbonation and light dipping lacing make for inviting eye candy.

Aromas of burnt molasses, spicy cardamom, light vanilla, mild woody earthiness, and soft sweet floral undertones. Spiced beers are often overpowering and heavily weighted with one dominant flavor, but this has a complex nose that invites through intrigue.

Flavor starts soft with subtle sweet licorice moves to a middle of caramel and molasses roasted sugar notes and finishes with spicy ginger, cardamom and light alcohol warmth. Well balanced flavors that provide roundness with light peaks of interest.

Mouthfeel is soft and light bodied with carbonation a little lighter than I would like. Some more carbonation "pop" could be nice to match the spiciness.

A good beer but the intensity of flavors would build to an unpleasureable level after several glasses. (952 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +11%

Bottle pour at the Bruery Reserve Society initiation party at The Phoenix Club in Anaheim, CA.

Pours an opaque super dark brown/black with a tan head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. No lacing on this one. Smell is mainly of exotic spices and herbs. Taste is of dark malt and the spice flavors. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that reminds me a lot of Ballast Point's Indra Kunindra with the exotic spices. (486 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

What an odd beer....beer served in a Bruery tulip. Beer is black with a thin broken head of small bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass with moderate carbonation.

Beer smells like lime and basil, oh boy, here we go.

Beer is medium in body and bright in the mouth with big citrus and finishes with a basily sense. Its not as bad as some other basil, or heavily spiced beers I've had recently, but its quite good overall. Drinkability is good and I'd have it again at a tasting but overall its just an OK beer. I like the rarity of it. (542 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Served in a snifter.

Really interesting beer. I'll start off with that. Also, i actually liked this quite a bit. Pours black with a single-finger head. The nose brings some basil, lime, and menthol. Strange, but pretty interested. A bit of roasted character fills in the background.

Taste is basil and lime. Maybe it's just me, but I like what The Bruery does with basil. Roasted malt character and lime there as well. A slight touch of chocolate. Body is medium and has nice carbonation. Light and really easy-drinking. An interesting concoction. (575 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle thanks to route66pubs.

A - thunder jet black with a khaki head that lasts for minutes. Fantastic lacing.

S - complex is the word. Tea, licorice, juniper. Vanilla, coffee.

T - Light spicy sweetness with a bitter tea finish. Very interesting but super enjoyable.

M - smooth medium body. Light carb.

O - an awesome experiment that has potential. Would be cool to see some recipe adjustments, worth a try. (413 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +0.8%

From the bottle at Black Tuesday.

A: The pour is a dark brown color, maybe black if you're feeling generous, with a couple finger's worth of tan head.

S: The roast is the primary aroma to this one along with some definite herbal notes. The lime leaves really comes through (giving an almost basil character) and there's a bit of lime zest too.

T: Not shockingly, the flavor is very similar to the aroma. Lots of roast with a fairly high level of bitterness. The lime notes are subtle, but the herb notes are quite strong.

M: The body is medium with a fairly high level of carbonation to it. Fairly dry on the finish.

D: As you might expect, this was interesting. It was surprisingly mild in flavor for a beer with such an array of ingredients. (748 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +0.8%

Sampled at Redlight Redlight; January 2011
This beer pours from the bottle with a black color and a lightly browned, dark tan colored head. The aroma has a very bright, floral ginger-like not to it that seems to have a citrus-like component to it. The nose is really, really spiced and I am finding it quite difficult to get any sense of the base beer at all.

The flavor is much the same with a big ginger flavor as well as some solid lime-like flavors that provide some extra piquancy. The finish sees a hint of roasted character coming thorugh as welll as a touch of cocoa-like dusty grain notes and some toasted whole grain notes that add some rustic, brown bread character to the end of the beer.

I can’t remember the last time I had a beer that was so devoid of malt, hop and yeast character; devoid is perhaps the wrong word, as the malt & yeast character is here, there is just so much spiciness here that it drowns out the base beer almost completely. If you enjoy ginger and lime flavors then you will like this beer; luckily I do like these flavors and they were so over the top here that I found myself enjoying this quite a bit. I would bet that this has some great culinary uses, and given that I likely wouldn’t want to tackle anywhere near a full bottle of this, that would be a prudent use. (1,312 characters)

3.55/5  rDev 0%

I got this one in a recent trade with Slvrmon82. Thanks again Matt! Poured into a tulip. The beer pours from the bottle with dark brown highlights and appears black sitting in the glass. A big light tan head sits atop and settles down to a solid thin layer that lingers with soapy lace. When I was pouring this one I could smell all kinds of fruit. As is sits in the glass the aromas kind of meld together and the brett aroma becomes a bit more dominant with black spicy tea aromas. Good smell, but I'd feel like the Brett comes through more than anything. The flavor is fruity. Juicy pear flavors and black peppercorn spice come through with a slight bit of funk to round out the flavor. The body is deceptively light on this one and the carbonation seems kind of harsh for some reason. Overall, this one is unique to say the least. A good effort from those crazy west coast guys. (881 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

129th Review on BA
Bottle to Tulip

App- A big dark pour with some ruby highlights in the light. Poured a very dark brown almost black with a big 2 finger pillowy head.

Smell- After it got passed around the room and I finally got to smell it. I get the lime of course, honey, almond and yeast.

Taste- A bold mix of flavors in this glass. It's quite different but not bad. I find it to be above an average beer just a lot to get used to.

Mouth- Its a medium bodied beer with what seems to be a mid/high carb level. Its presents kind of in a semi-dry wine sort of way.

Drink- Its a fine beer in its own way. Unique, raw, different and it aims to be. Not for everyone, but some beers aren't and that's okay. I was split on my comfort level of this beer but ill say it was a 70/30 like/dislike. (794 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours cola-black with a fluffy khaki head that settles to a thick ring and spotty haze. Getting a good amount of earthy Brett in the nose, along with some citrusy lime, dry cocoa powder, and a spicy ginger quality. Weird, but in a good way. Taste is dominated by the dark malt and cocoa powder, with more funky Brett, ginger, and bitter lime peel. Smooth mouthfeel, with a medium body and decent carbonation. Neat beer overall, but not the strongest Bruery offering I've had. (475 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast