Provisions Series: Gunga Galunga - The Bruery

Provisions Series: Gunga GalungaProvisions Series: Gunga Galunga

The Bruery visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.70% ABV

Gunga Galunga is a black beer with Thai influence. Brewed with 100% brettanomyces, kaffir lime leaves and galanga root (also known as Thai ginger, but it's not too ginger-like). This smooth, dry and roasty beer has clear notes of fresh citrus, crushed herbs and will compliment a spicy curry beautifully.

ABV: 7.7%, IBU: 25, SRM: 30, Release: One time only

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-18-2010)

4.5/5  rDev +30.1%

4.45/5  rDev +28.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle. Decanted into a tulip glass.
Appearance: As black as my soul. Strong, persistent, tan head.
Smell: Sweet and sour. Lime zest and dark chocolate. Almost smells like mint chocolate chip ice cream.
Taste: Extremely unique. Dark roasted malt complimented by the subtle sourness of the brett, and a limey bite on the finish. My mind’s eye paints the picture of a key lime pie with a burned molasses crust.
Mouthfeel: Full and round. The sweetness sits on the tongue, but the carbonation and citrus eventually wash it away.
Overall: I’ve been sitting on this bottle for a long time, so I was very excited to finally get into it (the bottle says it will age well for up to three years, so I thought I’d test that theory). Overall I am blown away. For what I would normally consider a “concept beer”, this works for me on every level. I absolutely love it.

4.38/5  rDev +26.6%

The Dalai Lama himself would enjoy this crisp and refreshing beer.

Don't be fooled by the initial pour. While this beer pours dark and with a thick hazelnut head, its flavor has the depth of a dark ale that leaves your palate clean and with a hint of citrus. Full-bodied and with an excellent, bright mouth feel, this beer would pair well with strong foods like Thai, with lighter fare like chicken dishes, or even with a fresh dinner salad.

Robust flavor. A light aftertaste. This smooth tasting beer is enjoyable and easy to drink.

This beer is so enjoyable, in fact, that I think I'll have another right now - so I've got that goin' for me, which is nice...

4.38/5  rDev +26.6%

750 mL bottle, picked up at the Provisions store, got to love the Caddyshack reference,

A: Pours a deep brown with a frothy full tan head. Lots of lace.

S: Interesting mix, definitely Asian inspired. Lime, ginger, and a bit of teriyaki sauce with some chocolate malt.

T: The galanga (blue ginger) stands out a bit with some limeade sweetness. Bitter malt on the back end, very fruity.

M: Medium-bodied, frothy and very easy carbonation. Light and springy on the palate.

D: The lime adds a lot of ease to this beer, very drinkable for how dark it is and the higher ABV. Good show by The Bruery in their Provisions series, all three have been stand out efforts.

4.33/5  rDev +25.1%

Probably my highlight of yesterday's Pittsburgh BA gathering at Bocktown, filled a portion of my sample glass with a dark cola russet brown with ruby highlights like cocoa tan head dwindled fairly quickly. Aroma was inviting with layers of citrus with kafir lime additions and spiced with Thai ginger, dark roasts weren't typical in the sense that I didn't get a loat of chocolate or coffee roast. More funky notes with a hint of plastic phenols some where saying band aid but I wasn't feeling it was overbearing to that point. Flavor was excellent there was something piney and spicy that I couldn't put my finger on, I'm guessing this was the Thai ginger that I've never tasted. A really unique beer and I guess it's the type of brew that drives us to seek out these interesting different brews. The dark malts provided a nice layer of dryness with hints of malt sweetness but the beers highlight was the interplay of citrus from the Kafir lime and the Galunga aka spicy ginger notes. I didn't get much phenolics, but the brett did it's job keeping the funk flowing and this beer interesting with hints of lactic acidity. As an American Wild ale I didn't find those overbearing in the sour side of the spectrum actually well balanced and well crafted. Carbonation was lively somewhat effervescent with a dry finish and medium bodied texture. Overall excellent beer, that gives me a bit more faith in the Bruery.

4.25/5  rDev +22.8%

pours deep black with a thin head of medium sized beige bubbles. the bubbles dissipate quickly, leaving a temporary lacing that clears after a few minutes. this dark ale smells deeply of dark chocolate, walnuts and some slight boozy alcohol scents. I taste a lot of chocolate, something oddly spicy like ginger (but not like ginger), and a very unique and refreshing pucker on the tail end of the taste. it feels great in my mouth and I plan on drinking it all, making it drinkable. if you find this, try it out...

4.23/5  rDev +22.3%

A - Pours a dark black with a finger of frothy chocolate head. The head fades down fairly slowly leaving behind some nice lace.

S - Aroma is a roasted and burnt malts, lime and citrus, Indian spices, ginger, and some brett character.

T - Starts off with a mix of roasted and burnt malts with some Indian spices and some ginger. Through the middle, some Brett funkiness comes through with some kaffir lime and some stronger spices. The finish is a mix of some roasted and burnt flavors, more Indian spices, ginger, touch of sourness, and a bit of cocoa.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet, spicy, and funky finish.

D - Very drinkable. Interesting mix of flavors with the dark sour ale and the curry spices, but the end result is a pretty tasty mix.

4.22/5  rDev +22%

There is a ton of stuff going on in this beer and I doubt I was able to pick out the majority of it. A complex, unique beer.

The beer pours a dark brown color with a nice-sized tan head. The aroma is heavy on the chocolate, ginger and mint. The flavor is just as complex with some other added notes. I get a ton of chocolate and mint notes as well as some ginger, lime and other herbal notes. There are also some nice roasted malt notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Very nice.

4.16/5  rDev +20.2%

Bottle opened on 10.5.13

A - Pours a dark brown with a huge dark tan foamy head that fades slowly.

S - Lots of lime, some mint, a touch of Brett.

T - Coffee at first, then more mint and lime.

D - Good carbonation with a light body.

O - A unique brew, roasted and coffee but still fresh and light. I was told I must be crazy to like this one, true!

4.15/5  rDev +19.9%

Purchased at The Bruery Provisions in Orange, CA.

A: Pitch black with a medium brown head. Decent retention but no lacing.

S: Nose is so different from the taste. Everything is there. Ginger and lime stand out.

T: Huuuuge coffee, massive flavor, and so smooth. Delicious and perfectly roasted coffee. The other flavors show up and complement the overall character. A unique black ale to say the least.

M: Smooth, delicious, bit of a bite from the carbonation. Pleasant and unique flavors throughout.

O: Amazing stuff. Don't know why it's getting hated on as far as the average rating is concerned.

4.13/5  rDev +19.4%

What an interesting beer

Pours a dark stout black. Nice tan head. Decent lacing.

Aroma is crazy. Smells almost like some sage and I can smell that Thai Ginger (galanga root).

Taste is interesting. Sort of roasty and spicy. Dry in the finish. Sort of citric. Very interesting.

Mouthfeel has great carb. Smooth and dry.

Overall a very tasty and very different and interesting beer. Glad I had it on tap here at Bruery Provisions and grabbed some bottles too.

4.13/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured into a Bruery tulip.

Dark black beer that light cannot penetrate. Half an inch of fluffy/rocky beige head.

The nose is ridiculous, lime, mint, and a touch of banana. Mostly a harmonious marriage of mint and lime though with some dark malt underlying.

The taste is chocolaty at first then minty then a hit of lime. Wow, this is so weird/interesting and good. This would be so amazing with Thai food. The mint/sage/herbs and lime with the dark chocolaty malt meld surprisingly well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth and subtle carbonation. Just right for the beer. Surprisingly creamy.

Where did this beer come from??? Seriously like nothing I have ever had... ever. I think I love this beer. It's like when you meet someone you don't complete understand, but something about them is so intriguing that you know you need to spend more time with them to figure out exactly why you are so intrigued. Sorry to get all RoCo here, but yeah, this beer kicks ass! I'm gonna go order some Thai food.

4.1/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured from a bottle into by Bruery tulip.

Pours out very dark brown, possibly black. Once settled into the glass it is black in color with a very thick foam head. The head is dark mocha color. The foam settles to a surprisingly thin layer for how big the head initially was. No light gets through the body of this one. No lacing is left on the glass.

Well the smell on this one is pretty interesting. I'm getting some roast, lime (like listed on the bottle), and some other spices that I'm having trouble picking out.

Very roasty up front. Finishes with some lime which is more zest then the juice. The spices start to come through a bit more as this warms up (was served pretty cold). Ginger? I swear I'm getting that at times. The aftertaste is roastiness and some spice but is actually quite pleasant. One thing I'm left wondering if where is the Brett in all of this? Perhaps it's too young or maybe the Brett just won't be that big of a factor in this beer. I don't know how I would like this if it was sour. But regardless, still wondering where the Brett is.

A pretty creamy feel to this one. Not thick enough to be mouth coating but this has a nice feel to it.

I like it. It has the aspects I was expecting in a black ale and the spices are a nice addition to this. I'm interested to see how this will change as it ages. Only down to one bottle so I'll be waiting for awhile before I crack it.

4.05/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into two St. Bernardus goblets. Thanks to HollyAnn for the assist! Extra special thanks to Tom, Heidi, and Camden for the hook up!

A: Pours a deep cola brown with some faint chestnut highlights. Initial pour got us a nice dark khaki head that sadly didn't hang around for very long. Lace was minimal.

S: Interesting dark fruit, cola nut, and lime zest aroma. Bitter dark chocolate, mint, oak, and black cherry.

T: Extremely close to the smell. I swirled in the sediment and found a layer of creamy, milk chocolate, white pepper, bark, and cardamom.

M: A neat mixture of sweet, tangy, spicy, and dry. I liked the fact that it came off a little raw and unrefined. Finishes with a bit of peppery sizzle. Really quite full and coating.

D: Interesting and different. I'd drink this again in a heartbeat if I could get more. Thankfully I have a hook-up or two in Silver Lake, so I got that going for me...which is nice!

4.03/5  rDev +16.5%

Thanks to otakuale for sharing this as well!

poured into a deschutes tulip.

pours a very deep dark brown with a light mocha head that is very fluffy.

the aroma is lots of spice with a mild malty medium coffee roast type smell.

the taste is lots of spice followed my the medium body malt. Some mild chocolate and coffee coming through a tad. The dominating flavor is the spices though.

Very similar to the TREAT by midnight sun... just without the pumkpin part.

Provisions Series: Gunga Galunga from The Bruery