Provisions Series: Gunga Galunga - The Bruery

good

The Bruery visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-18-2010

Gunga Galunga is a black beer with Thai influence. Brewed with 100% brettanomyces, kaffir lime leaves and galanga root (also known as Thai ginger, but it's not too ginger-like). This smooth, dry and roasty beer has clear notes of fresh citrus, crushed herbs and will compliment a spicy curry beautifully.

ABV: 7.7%, IBU: 25, SRM: 30, Release: One time only
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.94/5  rDev +11%

Bottle pour at the Bruery Reserve Society initiation party at The Phoenix Club in Anaheim, CA.

Pours an opaque super dark brown/black with a tan head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. No lacing on this one. Smell is mainly of exotic spices and herbs. Taste is of dark malt and the spice flavors. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that reminds me a lot of Ballast Point's Indra Kunindra with the exotic spices. (486 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Served in a snifter.

Really interesting beer. I'll start off with that. Also, i actually liked this quite a bit. Pours black with a single-finger head. The nose brings some basil, lime, and menthol. Strange, but pretty interested. A bit of roasted character fills in the background.

Taste is basil and lime. Maybe it's just me, but I like what The Bruery does with basil. Roasted malt character and lime there as well. A slight touch of chocolate. Body is medium and has nice carbonation. Light and really easy-drinking. An interesting concoction. (575 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +0.8%

From the bottle at Black Tuesday.

A: The pour is a dark brown color, maybe black if you're feeling generous, with a couple finger's worth of tan head.

S: The roast is the primary aroma to this one along with some definite herbal notes. The lime leaves really comes through (giving an almost basil character) and there's a bit of lime zest too.

T: Not shockingly, the flavor is very similar to the aroma. Lots of roast with a fairly high level of bitterness. The lime notes are subtle, but the herb notes are quite strong.

M: The body is medium with a fairly high level of carbonation to it. Fairly dry on the finish.

D: As you might expect, this was interesting. It was surprisingly mild in flavor for a beer with such an array of ingredients. (748 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +21.7%

Probably my highlight of yesterday's Pittsburgh BA gathering at Bocktown, filled a portion of my sample glass with a dark cola russet brown with ruby highlights like cocoa tan head dwindled fairly quickly. Aroma was inviting with layers of citrus with kafir lime additions and spiced with Thai ginger, dark roasts weren't typical in the sense that I didn't get a loat of chocolate or coffee roast. More funky notes with a hint of plastic phenols some where saying band aid but I wasn't feeling it was overbearing to that point. Flavor was excellent there was something piney and spicy that I couldn't put my finger on, I'm guessing this was the Thai ginger that I've never tasted. A really unique beer and I guess it's the type of brew that drives us to seek out these interesting different brews. The dark malts provided a nice layer of dryness with hints of malt sweetness but the beers highlight was the interplay of citrus from the Kafir lime and the Galunga aka spicy ginger notes. I didn't get much phenolics, but the brett did it's job keeping the funk flowing and this beer interesting with hints of lactic acidity. As an American Wild ale I didn't find those overbearing in the sour side of the spectrum actually well balanced and well crafted. Carbonation was lively somewhat effervescent with a dry finish and medium bodied texture. Overall excellent beer, that gives me a bit more faith in the Bruery. (1,413 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -17.2%

Someone brought this to Goose Island on Thursday - was it Tom? Served in a taster pint glass.

A - Creamy light mocha foam that settles to a thin cap and thicker collar, but minimal lace. Near-black body with a glint of brown at the fringes - surprisingly dark stuff.

S - Indian spices, cardamom, sage, ginger, and a hint of alcohol. I have no idea what the beer tastes like underneath all the spices - none of the brett and roast character that you'd expect.

T - Taste is pretty much the same, but with a bit of cocoa present. Lots of spices and herbal flavors. Alcohol is a little better hidden than the aroma.

M - Watery medium body, light grain character, warming alcohol, and medium-low carbonation.

D - This just isn't very good. Spices are overpowering and unpleasant. That being said, it isn't horrible and is pretty much average for the thankfully infrequently brewed "spiced wild ale" category. (908 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -4.8%

From 12/12/10 notes. Had at a local tasting thanks to drabmuh; thanks Matt.

a - Pours a black color with an inch of tan head and light carbonation.

s - Smells of lime, roasted malts, and some herbs or spice. A bit odd.

t - Tastes of lime, roasted malts, spices, and chocolate. Also some weird mint/herb in the aftertaste?

m - Medium body and low carbonation, smooth and creamy.

d - An odd spiced fruit beer. The lime and roasted malts were kind of weird together. Glad I got to try it but probably wouldn't seek it out again. (530 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

What an odd beer....beer served in a Bruery tulip. Beer is black with a thin broken head of small bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass with moderate carbonation.

Beer smells like lime and basil, oh boy, here we go.

Beer is medium in body and bright in the mouth with big citrus and finishes with a basily sense. Its not as bad as some other basil, or heavily spiced beers I've had recently, but its quite good overall. Drinkability is good and I'd have it again at a tasting but overall its just an OK beer. I like the rarity of it. (542 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -37.7%

Poured into chalice. Pours 1/2 finger of fizzy beige head. Color is a surprising jet black. Good retention, but no lace.

Aroma: Limes, spices, chocolate, odd funk. Very unique beer.

Taste: I get an odd chalky flavor and some green beans. Chocolate, limes, maybe brett. Odd. Kind of minty. Some booze shows.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, smooth, fizzy, and roasted. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends kind of clean.

Overall, I wasn't too impressed with this one. Not really enjoyable. Not something for me and not something I would ever recommend. (560 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +18.3%

There is a ton of stuff going on in this beer and I doubt I was able to pick out the majority of it. A complex, unique beer.

The beer pours a dark brown color with a nice-sized tan head. The aroma is heavy on the chocolate, ginger and mint. The flavor is just as complex with some other added notes. I get a ton of chocolate and mint notes as well as some ginger, lime and other herbal notes. There are also some nice roasted malt notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Very nice. (490 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -10.4%

Bottle shared by drabmuh at a local tasting. Thanks Matt!

A: Dark brown in color, with a healthy, beige head. The appearance is the best aspect of this beer.

S: Extremely spicy, herbal, vegetal. Whoa!

T: Over the top. While I appreciate the extreme nature of this beer, as well as pushing the limits of brewing and what a beer can be, this is just hard to drink. It's incredibly spicy and vegetal, with an odd assortment of garden herbs present throughout the aroma and flavor.

M: Medium body with fairly low carbonation. Again, this is an oddity.

D: A pleasure to sample. I commend Patrick Rue and The Bruery for pushing the limits of craft brewing and embracing creativity. However, that doesn't mean I can, or would want to drink more than a couple ounces of this. (773 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +0.8%

Sampled at Redlight Redlight; January 2011
This beer pours from the bottle with a black color and a lightly browned, dark tan colored head. The aroma has a very bright, floral ginger-like not to it that seems to have a citrus-like component to it. The nose is really, really spiced and I am finding it quite difficult to get any sense of the base beer at all.

The flavor is much the same with a big ginger flavor as well as some solid lime-like flavors that provide some extra piquancy. The finish sees a hint of roasted character coming thorugh as welll as a touch of cocoa-like dusty grain notes and some toasted whole grain notes that add some rustic, brown bread character to the end of the beer.

I can’t remember the last time I had a beer that was so devoid of malt, hop and yeast character; devoid is perhaps the wrong word, as the malt & yeast character is here, there is just so much spiciness here that it drowns out the base beer almost completely. If you enjoy ginger and lime flavors then you will like this beer; luckily I do like these flavors and they were so over the top here that I found myself enjoying this quite a bit. I would bet that this has some great culinary uses, and given that I likely wouldn’t want to tackle anywhere near a full bottle of this, that would be a prudent use. (1,312 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +22.5%

750 mL bottle, picked up at the Provisions store, got to love the Caddyshack reference,

A: Pours a deep brown with a frothy full tan head. Lots of lace.

S: Interesting mix, definitely Asian inspired. Lime, ginger, and a bit of teriyaki sauce with some chocolate malt.

T: The galanga (blue ginger) stands out a bit with some limeade sweetness. Bitter malt on the back end, very fruity.

M: Medium-bodied, frothy and very easy carbonation. Light and springy on the palate.

D: The lime adds a lot of ease to this beer, very drinkable for how dark it is and the higher ABV. Good show by The Bruery in their Provisions series, all three have been stand out efforts. (664 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -17.5%

Reviewed from notes. 750ml bottle shared at a recent tasting. It poured dark brown in color with a modest tan head to it.

The aroma has a herbal and citrusy flavor to it. I get the Kaffir lime citrus playing a pretty big role in the aroma. The spices give it more like a potpourri like flavor to me. Unfortunately I don't get much of the Brett or roasty flavors.

The taste shows more of the herbal and citrus flavors up front. In the finish a little bit of the roastiness with a slight chocolate flavor comes out. The lime citrus seems present throughout the flavor, which didn't really work well for me. It's unique at least.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being moderate. Overall it was a very interesting beer but not a great one. The lime and herbal flavors just didn't work for me and unfortunately seemed to dominate all the Brett and roasty flavors I was looking forward to . Cool to try but not something I'd want to have again. (959 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

4/7/2012

A: Near black with a finger of brown foam.

S: Redolent of a mild potpourri with chocolate, lime, and some strange spices that are unfamiliar to me. There's chocolate beneath herbal aromatics.

T: Chocolate and lime with more herbal note and strange foreign spices. It actually tastes pretty good. Spices are mellow and there's a pretty nice chocolate profile.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is sticky and prickly.

Overall: This beer is a running joke with friends but it was much better than I expected. Perhaps the spices were much stronger when it was first release. (606 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to moz9 for this bottle. Poured July 2011.

Nice looking beer. The appearance is the best thing about it. Black in color, for some reason it reminds me of black wood, with a very nice head on top.

Big mint on the nose, woah. The beer is black in color but the nose only suggests green things--mint, weird leaves, pine needles. Smells a little bit like rotting trash too. Maybe a little sourness, but I'm not sure if that's from the rotting trash and mint or from wild yeast/bacteria.

Well, the taste is a little better than the nose. All the mint and leaves and so on from the nose are also in the flavor, but there's some roasty stout or porter like malt flavors there too that stop the the odd flavors from being sickeningly minty/piney. I thought this was supposed to be a sour, but it isn't. Very slightly tart on the finish, but it's not sour.

This reminds me a lot of Lucky Bucket's Certified Evil, though this isn't nearly as terrible as that one. Drinkable and interesting the first time but I don't really want to have it again.

5.1/10 (1,055 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured a very dark brown almost black with a half finger of tan head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma was quite intresting consisting of spices, herbal, ginger, lime leafs, roastiness, chocolate malts, and slight coffee notes as well. The ginger and lime leaves were a bit more potent on the palate with some mint character alongside roasty herbal coffee accents but still had chocolate malt flavors. The brew was medium in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a herbal, spice, slight sweet and mild astringent, but earthy finish; very intresting. It drank decent considering the madness going on but to me its one that I would be done with after one bottle. Its still worth trying. (719 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +17.2%

Bottle opened on 10.5.13

A - Pours a dark brown with a huge dark tan foamy head that fades slowly.

S - Lots of lime, some mint, a touch of Brett.

T - Coffee at first, then more mint and lime.

D - Good carbonation with a light body.

O - A unique brew, roasted and coffee but still fresh and light. I was told I must be crazy to like this one, true! (353 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

750ml bottle poured into my Narke tulip...Pours a dark brown with a really light tan head. The head settles to a light soapy head, pour lacing...The aroma is not my thing at all, tons of spice, reminds me of a Christmas beer, black licorice, eucyaliptis (too strong), ginger, and nutmeg on the back. Does not make me want to drink this at all...The taste is really light, thankfully. There is light spice, but I'm just bored. The ginger comes through mostly.

Not disappointed as I had no expectations. (502 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -32.4%

Thanks to Jason for sharing this one.

A - It's brown, somewhat murky and dead looking.

S - Spiced all to hell, not something I generally care for in beers, but kind of what I suspected, doesn't mean it smelled good. A little bit like tea, with something I can't quite identify.

T - Bizzare herb taste, bit of mint, and just way spiced. Different, but not in a good way. Don't like it.

M - Medium bodied and carbonated, mouthfeel was fairly unnoticable.

D - Hard to drink given the poor tasting experience, won't have this again. (534 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -4.5%

750mL bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks to Kyle for sharing!

(A)- Pours a dark brown, almost black color. Some tan foam & bubbles.

(S)- Very spicy. Vanilla, raisin, anise, licorice and molasses. Has just a slightly funky background to it.

(T)- Again, very spicy like the smell, but has a raisin, anise, and licorice profile. Slightly funky.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Very spicy with some moderate bitterness. Rich.

(D)- A very different and unique beer. Spicy and exotic. The Brett that is supposed to be in here is very much hidden, but age could help bring that out. (594 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

129th Review on BA
Bottle to Tulip

App- A big dark pour with some ruby highlights in the light. Poured a very dark brown almost black with a big 2 finger pillowy head.

Smell- After it got passed around the room and I finally got to smell it. I get the lime of course, honey, almond and yeast.

Taste- A bold mix of flavors in this glass. It's quite different but not bad. I find it to be above an average beer just a lot to get used to.

Mouth- Its a medium bodied beer with what seems to be a mid/high carb level. Its presents kind of in a semi-dry wine sort of way.

Drink- Its a fine beer in its own way. Unique, raw, different and it aims to be. Not for everyone, but some beers aren't and that's okay. I was split on my comfort level of this beer but ill say it was a 70/30 like/dislike. (794 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle. Decanted into a tulip glass.
Appearance: As black as my soul. Strong, persistent, tan head.
Smell: Sweet and sour. Lime zest and dark chocolate. Almost smells like mint chocolate chip ice cream.
Taste: Extremely unique. Dark roasted malt complimented by the subtle sourness of the brett, and a limey bite on the finish. My mind’s eye paints the picture of a key lime pie with a burned molasses crust.
Mouthfeel: Full and round. The sweetness sits on the tongue, but the carbonation and citrus eventually wash it away.
Overall: I’ve been sitting on this bottle for a long time, so I was very excited to finally get into it (the bottle says it will age well for up to three years, so I thought I’d test that theory). Overall I am blown away. For what I would normally consider a “concept beer”, this works for me on every level. I absolutely love it. (875 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +18.3%

A - Pours a dark black with a finger of frothy chocolate head. The head fades down fairly slowly leaving behind some nice lace.

S - Aroma is a roasted and burnt malts, lime and citrus, Indian spices, ginger, and some brett character.

T - Starts off with a mix of roasted and burnt malts with some Indian spices and some ginger. Through the middle, some Brett funkiness comes through with some kaffir lime and some stronger spices. The finish is a mix of some roasted and burnt flavors, more Indian spices, ginger, touch of sourness, and a bit of cocoa.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet, spicy, and funky finish.

D - Very drinkable. Interesting mix of flavors with the dark sour ale and the curry spices, but the end result is a pretty tasty mix. (787 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into two St. Bernardus goblets. Thanks to HollyAnn for the assist! Extra special thanks to Tom, Heidi, and Camden for the hook up!

A: Pours a deep cola brown with some faint chestnut highlights. Initial pour got us a nice dark khaki head that sadly didn't hang around for very long. Lace was minimal.

S: Interesting dark fruit, cola nut, and lime zest aroma. Bitter dark chocolate, mint, oak, and black cherry.

T: Extremely close to the smell. I swirled in the sediment and found a layer of creamy, milk chocolate, white pepper, bark, and cardamom.

M: A neat mixture of sweet, tangy, spicy, and dry. I liked the fact that it came off a little raw and unrefined. Finishes with a bit of peppery sizzle. Really quite full and coating.

D: Interesting and different. I'd drink this again in a heartbeat if I could get more. Thankfully I have a hook-up or two in Silver Lake, so I got that going for me...which is nice! (945 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours cola-black with a fluffy khaki head that settles to a thick ring and spotty haze. Getting a good amount of earthy Brett in the nose, along with some citrusy lime, dry cocoa powder, and a spicy ginger quality. Weird, but in a good way. Taste is dominated by the dark malt and cocoa powder, with more funky Brett, ginger, and bitter lime peel. Smooth mouthfeel, with a medium body and decent carbonation. Neat beer overall, but not the strongest Bruery offering I've had. (475 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast