Cherry Chocolate Rain - The Bruery

No picture uploaded.

The Bruery visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  19.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-24-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
DoubleJ

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%

On cask at the source itself, a flavored version of Black Tuesday. On to the beer:

It's black, not quite pitch black, with no head on top. It looks like liquor. The aroma is liquor-like in strength, but without the alcohol smell. Cherries hit the nostrils hard from the start, and then notes of cocoa beans, vanilla wafers, oak, and sherry create a sensation that's hard to resist. It makes me want to drink.

Sweet cherries and alcohol heat are not afraid to introduce themselves in the mouth. The heat extinguises itself quickly, though you will be feeling the heat of it in the throat. Once you get past the cherries, it turns into a fest of flavors. Chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, oak, wafers, somebody stop this! The cask serving type allows the proper temperature and almost no carbonation, it almost becomes like drinking a wine. It's full bodied and has that coating feel, which acts as a second wind for the flavor. The alcohol shows very little of itself in the mouth after its introduction, but get a fire extingushier ready for the throat. For an 18.2% ABV beer, it drinks very easy...I was even tempted to take bigger sips towards the end of my serving after taking tiny liquor-sized sips.

It's hard to beat the original, but the cherry chocolate flavored version is no slouch. This is a wonderful drinking experience, and it was a priviledge to partake in its drinking.

11-22-2010 03:41:57 | More by DoubleJ
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%

#900, let's break out the scratches constituting blithering notes from BT. Massive black, red hued edge, almost no head (no surprise there), because of the red, its less black than BT or CR.

Aroma is barely bourbon, much more intense chocolate and maybe its psychosomatic, but I swore I could smell cherries and a dallop of vanilla. Just fantastic stuff in the aroma department, like they said on the Old Milwaukee commercials "it doesn't get any better than this!"

Super sweet taste, not as much as Chocolate Rain, the cherry took some of that sweet heat off I figure. Resonates all over every nook and cranny in your mouth, I reckon this stuff is a dentist's nightmare. The cherry flavor is way better than those shitty brandy soaked cherries someone in your family breaks out every Thanksgiving/Christmas. Mixes with the chocolate happily. Motivated me to seriously consider becoming a Reserve Society member from 500 miles away (having a tiny Russian in Hollywood don't hurt either).

Massively chewy throughout, always covering the alcohol up more than most beers half its strength. I began to get a little down as the glass revealed one final sip left. It would be some time until I got to try it again. The cherry flavor itself seemed multi-faceted, as tart was a great pairing with the immensity of everything else. Of course, sweet was ever present, and prolly is the most dominate characteristic of any of the BT variants.

If you like KBS or cherry, you'll love this. If you're one of those people who equate cherry with cold medicine and can't get passed that, stick with whatever they're rockin' at the corner mart.

Only reason the drinkability points are down is because its not drinkable that easy, because its never around, and furthermore, it is the most challenging of the BT variants.

11-07-2010 21:48:46 | More by Beerandraiderfan
aknight

Color is a very dark, dark brown, almost black. No head present, just a tulip glass of oil. The smell is chocolaty sweet with a hint of cherry. The taste is the familiar Black Tuesday, intensely flavorful and sweet but the chocolate adds another level of complexity without really adding to the sweetness of an already very sweet beer. The tartness of the cherries help to cut the sweetness and really rounds out this beer. This may be my favorite of all of the Black Tuesday beers. I wish this beer would be bottled but Black Tuesday is hard enough to get, I can't imagine how difficult this one would be to find. This is one of those beers that I will drink over and over in my memory as I drift to sleep thinking of good times.

11-06-2010 04:13:50 | More by aknight
SpdKilz

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

I have been meaning to review this but have been busy.

Appearance - Poured into a Bruery tulip at the Black Tuesday release party from a cask. Not completely black in color, though extremely dark brown with what perhaps I'm imagining but a reddish tinge. As with Chocolate Rain, just a hint of head and every so slight lacing.

Smell - Also, as with Chocolate Rain, I was able to smell this beer while drinking Black Tuesday. The aroma was just utterly intense. I could smell this beer even before I planned to. Massive sweet cherries (brandied), more rich chocolate than Chocolate Rain in my opinion, slight bourbon and vanilla. The overall winner here is the chocolate and cherry aroma, which is heavenly.

Taste - As another BA put it, it tastes exactly like a cherry cordial you get at Christmas (but this gets you drunk! Haha). The flavor was actually quite a bit sweeter than I was expecting. However, that just makes this an absolutely perfect after dinner beer. I absolutely would share this with friends and family after a big Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner while having some peppermint bark to nibble on while enjoying the beer. As others have said, it is almost like a port. Very enjoyable - if I had tried BT and Chocolate rain before, I would have spent all my tickets on this. Defiantly a highlight of the night.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied, low carbonation, massive viscosity, finishes a hint dry and sweet.

Drinkability - This one was a bit harder to drink than the others merely because it was so sweet and honestly while you are supposed to savor the other two variations, this one to me is the choice to savor the longest. Still, very drinkable for what it was and I'd buy this in a heartbeat. A perfect beer for those special family times when everyone is relaxing by the fire on a cold winter night.

11-03-2010 19:11:56 | More by SpdKilz
drabmuh

Maryland

4.08/5  rDev -8.7%

I was not as big of fan of this Black Tuesday variant as most people at the release party. I would in fact rank them Black Tuesday = Chocolate Rain > Cherry Chocolate rain, but I still enjoyed this beer.

Beer served on cask at the Black Tuesday event in a Bruery tulip, drank after Chocolate rain. Beer is black / brown with no head, a few floating pieces of cherry (?) debris in the beer. Looks OK.

Aroma is really nice on this, its got that bourbony, nice, malty, sweetness, with a late nose of sweet fruits. It smells really nice.

Beer is sweet and the cherries come into this one late, its really nice but after several sips the cherry flavor gives way to almost a cough syrup or candy artificial cherry flavor. It was really good but the 6 ounces I had was more than enough honestly.

10-31-2010 16:02:07 | More by drabmuh
womencantsail

4.1/5  rDev -8.3%

On-cask at Black Tuesday. I had a few tastes of this and my opinion changed greatly throughout each of them.

A: The pour is pretty much black with a bit of brown murkiness to it. There is a thin ring of bubbles hanging out around the outside edge of the glass.

S: Right from the word go the cherries come through. But as more pours came from the cask, the chocolate, vanilla, and (surprisingly) maple qualities really started to shine through. Lots of bourbon and alcohol, unsurprisingly.

T: The cherries are an interesting mix of sweetness with just a touch of tartness (especially later on in the evening). The chocolate, vanilla, maple syrup, and bourbon flavors are intensely sweet and can be cloying.

M: The body is full and slightly syrupy due to the lack of significant carbonation.

D: I think the Chocolate Rain is my favorite of the two variations here. This one just became far too sweet after a sip or two.

10-30-2010 22:26:11 | More by womencantsail
antioch

3.8/5  rDev -15%

On cask at The Bruery's Black Tuesday Release Party, Session 1.

A: Dark dark brown with a slight red tin, no light exits, no head.

S: Dark chocolate, bourbon, booze and a slight cherry aroma coming through.

T: Extremely sweet, lots of chocolate and cherry. Almost tasted like I threw one of those dark chocolate's with cherry filling in it into my mouth. Some booze burn comes through, but mostly covered by the sweetness. Too sweet for my taste and I was glad it was only a small pour.

M: More carbonation would've done this beer a lot of justice. It was too viscous and chewy.

D: As mentioned above, the alcohol isn't coming through too much, the lack of drinkability for me is the viscosity and the sweetness.

10-29-2010 20:21:33 | More by antioch
domtronzero

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%

On cask at The Bruery 10-26-2010

A - Murky dark reddish brown with a small thinly formed head, basically a ring around the glass. Little lacing.

S- Tons of sweet cherries, dark chocolate, vanilla, and maple syrup-like notes. Bourbon and pleasant boozy alcohol. Rich and very inviting.

F/M - Tastes like a freakin' cordial cherry! Dark, rich chocolate, cherries and tons of vanilla and bourbon. Very nice alcohol warmth and slight alcoholic bitterness helps this beer finish very smoothly. Sweet, rich, full bodied, oily and slick. Moderately low carbonation. Lingering chocolaty cordial cherry flavor.

O- I waited until the end but i should have used all 3 of my taster tickets on this one. I absolutely cant wait to try this again; I hope they pour it at the RS Barrel Tasting. Smooth, rich, delicious and finishes like silk. World class!

10-29-2010 00:41:53 | More by domtronzero
largadeer

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

On cask at Black Tuesday 2010. Dark chocolate brown with a reddish tint, pretty much opaque and flat.

Sweet brandied cherries and chocolate fudge nearly overwhelm the senses; this beer packs a ton of aroma. There's a bit of noticeable bourbon barrel and vanilla, but it's overwhelmingly chocolate and cherries.

It tastes a lot like a cherry cordial, or one of those booze-infused cherry chocolate candies you'd find at a fancy candy store. Intensely sweet, but absolutely delicious. Vanilla peeks through ever so slightly, and the bourbon barrel melds harmoniously with the cherries and chocolate. The body is syrupy and flat, which works just fine in this context.

Opinions on this beer seemed to be mixed, but I thought it was delicious.

10-28-2010 19:25:34 | More by largadeer
nickd717

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Cask. So this is what those British guys were talking about with subtle, balanced cask beers? I like it! Need to get to England.

Pours a thick, leggy dark brown - less black than Black Tuesday it seems - with pretty much no head. Slight reddish hues even.

Insane aroma - really really complex and crazy. Huge chocolate-covered cherries, along with sweet caramel, bourbon, -bals, and molasses.

The flavor is just insane. Gigantic bourbon-soaked chocolate cherries of the awesomest kind. A little boozy, but in a good way. A little sweet, but in the BEST way. -Bals are not absent either. This is better than Black Tuesday OR Chocolate Rain, as crazy as that sounds.

Smooth and slick on the mouthfeel, like silk. The ABV is present but well-hidden. Carbonation is nearly nonexistent, like a Lost Abbey beer, but in a good way.

Overall, awesome, just awesome. Drinkable for the ABV and thoroughly enjoyable. Tay Zonday wasn't kidding when he talked about how awesome chocolate rain (and its variants) were.

10-28-2010 06:34:04 | More by nickd717
slayer3604

4.45/5  rDev -0.4%

This thing haunted my glass for the rest of the night. Thanks Bruery....everything tasted like CCR...

A- Cask conditioned and lacking a head, but its to style and its pitch black...sexy.

S- HUGE amounts of pure chocolate and cherry with a little bit of a phenolic alcohol presence with a faint background of bourbon and oak.

T- Milky, creamy, cherry, bourbon, and pure (consentual) sex. Awesome beer. Can't thank Pat enough for this explosion of goodness.

M- Thick and a tad cloying. Wish it was as dry as the new BT, but you can't have everything.

D- for its alcohol content I'm surprised it didn't kill me on the spot, but I went back and used a second ticket to try it again. So damn good.

10-27-2010 22:24:58 | More by slayer3604
abecall98

4.93/5  rDev +10.3%

Ok, some slight scribbled notes on my phone from last nights events.

A - Pours a thin watery black. Not much lacing, but the stuff is dark dark dark. Being that it is cask conditioned, the look fits the style, I only wish there was a little tiny head. The beer was very rich and glass coating, with was nice to see.

S - sweet dark fruits is the first thing I notice. Fresh cherries blended with a slight bourbon hint and some chocolates, melting in the beer.

T - The taste is first a flavor packed shot of bourbon, with the warming sensation, but without the bourbon burn, and that is what I love. As I coat my mouth, more of the barrel notes are noticeable, wood and vanilla. Chocolate and cherry finish the flavor profile by lingering a sweet goodness after the taste.

M - Not as thick as I remember last years Black Tuesday, that could be the fault of the batch being slightly different, or the casking, I don't really know. However, it still is an adventurous mouthfeel. The beer, when sipped, floods your mouth, looking for every tastebud available and just starts whaling them with an explosion of flavor. The be is sticky, and it creates a long lasting aftertaste long after you gulped the beer. The aftertaste is best described as leftover cherry skins all over your mouth. The sweetness lingers, and smacking your lips only deepens the experience of the aftertaste.

D - Simply amazing. The beer is 18.3% abv. yet it drinks smoother and cooler than some beers I have had at 10% abv. I don't know what hallucinogens they are putting in this stuff, but The alcohol flavor is just gone from my mind as I enjoy this beer. The beer, for being casked with cherries, is not cloying at all. The sweetness is very complimentary in this very deep and complex beer.

O - an experience I hope more people get to try. Black Tuesday is the real deal people. This variation is just an added treat to an already amazing base beer. I love it.

10-27-2010 21:47:17 | More by abecall98
HopHead84

4.55/5  rDev +1.8%

10/26/10

I stumbled toward the entrance of The Bruery with bleary eyes and a grim countenance from the wanton ash billowing off the post apocalyptic 57 freeway. Wait, that was last year. Getting into the Bruery for Black Tuesday was a painless process this year.

A cask pour into a Bruery snifter at Black Tuesday 2010 Session 2. Apposed alongside Chocolate Rain and Black Tuesday.

A: Appears black in the glass with some brown near the edges with a small bubbly head. It appears to have a little more carbonation than its non Cherry brother.

S: The aroma is a cross between a fine port, a cherry liqueur, and a delicious Imperial Stout. It smells like a sugary dark chocolate covered cherry with milk chocolate drizzled on top. I get notes of plum, bourbon, and vanilla, but the main focus is the candied cherry aspect. A ridiculously decadent aroma, and unmatched in complexity by other desert beers. I can't smell any alcohol beneath this sweet aroma.

T: Very, very sweet. Again, my mind is drawn to the port comparison. This is very port-like, though in addition to grape and plum, there is a very strong sugary cherry flavor. Bourbon, vanilla, and oak are evident, and there is a big chocolate presence. Alcohol is well hidden, mostly apparent in the warming finish.

M: Viscous, sticky, and smooth. The low carbonation didn't bother me at all because, again, this reminded of a port and I sipped it as such.

Overall: A decadent desert beer meant to be consumed in small quantities. Delicious.

10-27-2010 19:03:34 | More by HopHead84
Overlord

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Happened by the Bruery and this was on cask. Neat.

Pours .... not really black! Well, black-ish. Very dark brown edging almost giving it a wooden-ish looking border. Light bubbling. Wisps of a hint of foam. Basically flat.

Insane chocolate and cherry aroma. Just mind blowing. No tartness to be found, this is all sweet cherry pulp. The chocolate smells almost syrup-esque. Wow.

Taste is overwhelmingly sweet. My poor dentist is going to have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him! Cocoa, millk chocolate, cherry juice and cherry pulp, a bit of bourbon on the back-end (but it's muted here) .... what this beer really needs is some ice cream! I'm serious, it needs ice cream. It would be unbelievable.

Mouthfeel is rich, thick, and viscous, but frankly, it needs bubbles. Chocolate Rain can get away with it as it isn't quite as unrelentingly sweet (though it's a sugar bomb, too), but this almost feels underattenuated without some hint of carbonation.

10-27-2010 07:45:30 | More by Overlord
Halcyondays

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

On cask at The Bruery,

A: Pours a deep mahogany brown with a moderate off-white head, good lace and retention.

S: Cherry chocolate cordial, it smells at it should, very pleasant.

T: Concentrated milk chocolate flavour, truffle like. Cherry is not direct but hints at itself throughout, very tasty.

M: Incredibly smooth, very full-bodied, medium viscosity, great feel to this beer.

D: A fantastic relative to the regular Black Tuesday. Better than Chocolate Rain, not as good as the '10 BT which I thought was pretty much as good this year as it was last year. Taken alone with no comparisons, definitely one of the better Double Stouts I've had.

10-27-2010 03:46:34 | More by Halcyondays