Collaboration Series: Marrón Acidifié - The Bruery

Collaboration Series: Marrón AcidifiéCollaboration Series: Marrón Acidifié

The Bruery visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-02-2011)
1.1/5  rDev -73.6%

On tap at 38 degrees during Barrel Aged week.

Look: The beer pour a nice reddish brown with a 1/4 white head and very little retention.

Smell: Here is when this beer turned into a bad idea. The beer smells like someone put sour cherries in a jar full of vinegar and then set the jar in the hot sun for a week and wanted to see if the vinegar would consume the cherries like some sort of science expierment. This is hands down the worst smelling beer I have ever smelled. I would rather sit around and smell burning dog hair than ever smell this beer again.

Taste: Just when I thought to myself well this beer can't be as bad as the smell well guess what I was totally wrong. The beer literally taste worse then the smell and I did not think that was possible. First you get vinegar
followed by a bit of cherry and then the acidity takes over and I was so disgusted by the beer that at that moment I seriously wanted someone to light my head on fire so I could get rid of the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel. Who cares

Overall: I have had several sour beers even had the Eagle Rock Yuengling on tap this same night but I must say this beer is liquid hell a complete embarrasement to what I have come to know as beer. In my 12 years of drinking beer I have never tasted anything so vial in my life. I have no idea what the two breweries were thinking when they said hey this taste great bottle and keg it. Jesus Christ I have a feeling that if I have a nightmare anytime soon this beer will be involved in it and I will be forced to try and drink a whole bottle of this abomination. Over fail on all levels.

1.23/5  rDev -70.4%

Hazy brown with a reddish. Decent thickness to the bubbly white eggshell colored head.

Smells like someone drank a bottle of red wine vinegar and vomitted.

Taste is just as bad if not worse. If I ate a handful of cherries and threw up in my hand, then pureed it, strained it and drank it again. That's the taste, Spot On.

Mouthfeel is quick. Cuz you gotta hurry and swallow or spit it out.

Overall Id have to say I rather drink a Mickeys, King Cobra or any other terrible malt liquor/terrible beer. This has got to be the most horrifying "beer" I've ever had in my many years of beer drinking/loving.

1.75/5  rDev -57.9%

2.08/5  rDev -50%

A- Pours a reddish brown color with a handful of tan bubbles for a head that leaves no lacing.

S- Slightly vinegar, dark fruits, woody and almost wine like.

T- Again wine like, vinegar, dark fruits, and tart. I kept picking up an odd sour green apple taste.

M- Fairly light in both body and carbonation.

O- Not a big fan of the vinegar/sour tastes. I found this one a bit hard to drink.

2.13/5  rDev -48.8%

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for splitting this bottle

Review adapted from notes taken 7/16/12

Appearance: Cloudy dark brown, starts with a nicely sized, light tan head, and leaves a lot of lacing

Smell: A base of brown ale malts - moderately sour, with some straight-up acidity, and lots of harsh vinegar - lots of oak - some dark fruits, dark berries

Taste: Upon my first sip I commented (jokingly), "this kind of tastes like vomit" - but as I continued to drink, I realized this was not a joke - it really does taste like vomit - or more specifically, the lingering taste of vaguely sour acid that remains on your tongue after blowing chunks - I wish that I were kidding - lightly sour, with some vinegar, and tons of stomach acid - the oak flavors only make this worse - beyond this characteristic, there are some malts here - cooked, lightly caramelized - and some fruits - rotten, overripe dark fruits - sweet, and this sweetness combined with the vomit flavor makes me want to gag

Mouthfeel: Mostly smooth, medium to full body, low carbonation - a lingering, somewhat unpleasant acidity

Overall: One-way ticket to Barf City

I was really excited for this beer. After all, I love a good sour. But this is not a good sour. It tastes like regurgitated stomach acid. I thought this may have been a bad bottle, but my description seems to match some others on this site. Do not want.

2.18/5  rDev -47.6%

Thankfully split the bottle with angrybabboon.

Appearance: Deep copper. Slightly hazed. Light tan head. Wispy and thin. Drops to a negligible collar in short order. Mild carbonation. You can see the barrel influence.

Smell: Oak, cherry, fig, more oak, and oak. Nicely sour with a building lactic backing. Citric acid as well. Leather and stale sweat. So much wood. Deeply fruity. Purple grapes, cherries, and plums. It's all there. Slightly vinous with a deeper red wine push and did I mention oak?

Taste: Dark fruit and oak...surprise! Huge citric acod. Lactic and oaky. Acidity is so high it reminds me of vomit. Aftertaste of vomit. Leather and huge punches of old, slightly fermented fruit juice. Cherries and plums that have moved beyond prime. Sweetness builds as it warms and pushes it in to the almost undrinkable range.

Mouthfeel: Moderate body with almost no carbonation. The barrel aging made it smooth and slightly creamy, but nuked any chance at carbonation.

Overall: I had high hopes for this beer. Those hopes were shattered. The near vomit taste really killed this thing. I wish I could describe it differently, but it literally left my mouth feeling like I had just thrown up. It was unsettling. Regardless, under the awful was a ton of dark fruit flavor. Punch that up and drop the oak a touch, and this might actually be drinkable.

2.63/5  rDev -36.8%

750 mL bottle, allowed to warm a little before being poured into my Duvel tulip.

Marron Acidifie pours a very deep brown, with faint ruby highlights visible under the proper lighting. The tan colored head tops out at about a finger and a half of height, and displays decent lacing. Head retention is very brief though. The second pour empties the bottle and introduces tons of small brown particles that float on the surface of the beer and stick to the sides of the glass... not very nice looking. The nose is vinegar heavy, but also has some notes of tart cherry, oak, and a mild funkiness. Vinegar goes totally over the top once the beer hits my mouth though, even having been allowed to warm some beforehand the beer is nigh on undrinkable from the overwhelming vinegar presence. Eventually, as the beer arrives near room temperature, it improves somewhat. The vinegar is still very "in your face", but there's some semblance of balance with some of the other flavors suggested by the aroma. The mouthfeel at least is decent. A little on the dry side for an 8%+ brew, which one might expect given the critters that went to work fermenting this one. At the same time the carbonation is largely understated, and has the beer been a little more full bodied I'd call it syrupy, but as is, slick will have to do as a descriptor. Marron Acidfie has got to be one of the biggest letdowns of a beer I've ever had. I've enjoyed beers from both The Bruery and Cigar City, and I'm usually one to like sour beers, but this was too tart for it's own good and the last third or so of it will be going down the drain.

2.65/5  rDev -36.3%

Pours a deep dark brown color with cherry/plum edges and a half finger beige head that immediately fades into a thin ring. Minimal spots of lace left behind.

Sweet vinous aroma with subtle earthy funk, vinegary acidity and tons of dark fruit. The barrel character is pretty strong with lots of toasted oak, complimenting the sweeter notes. Pretty vinous with hints of grape, dark cherries and other berries which meld well with the vinaigrette presence. Subtle malts underneath. The nose of this beer is really nice.

Medium bodied with a sweet tart presence that lingers throughout and dominates most of the flavor. Puckeringly sour with a strong acetic vinegar presence that is way too strong, giving off a chemical feel. This really hurts the flavor of this beer overpowering the vinous dark fruit notes, toasted oak and whatever malt presence there might be underneath.

I love sour beers but this is a bit of a one dimensional mess that's severely lacking in complexity.

2.7/5  rDev -35.1%

Consumed at Blue Palms 3rd Anniversary event in Hollywood, CA.

Clear, deep amber hued beer with almost no head.

Aroma of white vinegar; I couldn't get anything else.

Flavor is tart, slightly sour and acidic sort of like (wait for it) white vinegar. A fleeting hint of sour cherries gives way to a dash of caramel maltiness which cannot keep things from going too far into sour territory. Very low bitterness. Not very complex, sadly.

Mouthfeel is unremarkable.

Wince-inducing sourness is my overall impression of this beer. A nice palate cleanser, but nothing I'd want again.

Not sure what to say. I'm hoping this was a bad bottle as I love sour beers and was looking forward to this.

This brew lacked carbonation to the point where it felt was if I was drinking apple cider that had been left in the sun too long. Heavy vinegar notes and over the top wood characteristics. I want the wood to impart flavor but not make me think I'm taking a bite out of a tree limb.

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

750 ml bottle served in a FFF teku glass. Shared with fellow BA danielnovak3.

A: Pours a dark cherry red color with brown hues in the body. Thin off white head forms on the pour and recedes to a thin ring. It leaves some light spots of lace.

S: Some cherry skins with a tart raspberry undertone. There is some thick maltiness with a touch of oak. Mild leather notes are present as well.

T: The body of this beer is incredibly malty. Some sweet dark cherry flesh and some tart respberry. There is a mild sour pucker with an oaky touch. The barrel produces some sweetness, but the malts really hit back in the finish.

M: Medium bodied with a little too much heft. Medium carbonation and a malty sweetness is on the finish.

O: The body of the beer was just too big and malty. I know the style was an "imperial" oud bruin, but I don't think the style really works. Not enough tartness and puckering to back up the big malt body.

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

A: Poured into a tulip with just a whisper of a head. Dark, ruby red color. Not much evidence of carbonation.

S: Winey aromas from a distance. Cherry and stone fruit. Whiff of strawberry. Promise of nice acidity.

T: Initially dominated by wood, followed by a rich earthy flavor. There's some dark fruit, mostly prunes. Not all that tart for the most part, except for a spike just as you swallow. Finishes with almost a butterscotch / caramel that's as much feel as taste. Later sips start to reveal some spice.

M: Practically flat, would definitely like this to be a bit more lively. Full bodied, but finishes somewhat sticky (see taste comment). Not at all what I'd expect from this style.

As the beer warms a bit, the wood becomes more pronounced, and the finish less sticky. At the same time, the lack of carbonation becomes more of a letdown.

Glass #2 from the bottle picks up some bitterness and lots of floaties.

O: Something of a disappointment. Not bad, but not up to the hype.

---

Notes from Epic Bruery sour/wild tasting, 3/4/2012

Red-brown. Tart fruit aroma, slight vinegar. Very dry, earthy, leathery, and astrigent. Really too earthy to be enjoyable. 3.5,4,3,3,3

Collaboration Series: Marrón Acidifié from The Bruery