Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Collaboration Series: Marrón Acidifié - The Bruery

Collaboration Series: Marrón AcidifiéCollaboration Series: Marrón Acidifié

The Bruery visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-02-2011

1.12/5  rDev -72.5%

On tap at 38 degrees during Barrel Aged week.

Look: The beer pour a nice reddish brown with a 1/4 white head and very little retention.

Smell: Here is when this beer turned into a bad idea. The beer smells like someone put sour cherries in a jar full of vinegar and then set the jar in the hot sun for a week and wanted to see if the vinegar would consume the cherries like some sort of science expierment. This is hands down the worst smelling beer I have ever smelled. I would rather sit around and smell burning dog hair than ever smell this beer again.

Taste: Just when I thought to myself well this beer can't be as bad as the smell well guess what I was totally wrong. The beer literally taste worse then the smell and I did not think that was possible. First you get vinegar
followed by a bit of cherry and then the acidity takes over and I was so disgusted by the beer that at that moment I seriously wanted someone to light my head on fire so I could get rid of the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel. Who cares

Overall: I have had several sour beers even had the Eagle Rock Yuengling on tap this same night but I must say this beer is liquid hell a complete embarrasement to what I have come to know as beer. In my 12 years of drinking beer I have never tasted anything so vial in my life. I have no idea what the two breweries were thinking when they said hey this taste great bottle and keg it. Jesus Christ I have a feeling that if I have a nightmare anytime soon this beer will be involved in it and I will be forced to try and drink a whole bottle of this abomination. Over fail on all levels.

1.25/5  rDev -69.4%

Hazy brown with a reddish. Decent thickness to the bubbly white eggshell colored head.

Smells like someone drank a bottle of red wine vinegar and vomitted.

Taste is just as bad if not worse. If I ate a handful of cherries and threw up in my hand, then pureed it, strained it and drank it again. That's the taste, Spot On.

Mouthfeel is quick. Cuz you gotta hurry and swallow or spit it out.

Overall Id have to say I rather drink a Mickeys, King Cobra or any other terrible malt liquor/terrible beer. This has got to be the most horrifying "beer" I've ever had in my many years of beer drinking/loving.

2.09/5  rDev -48.8%

A- Pours a reddish brown color with a handful of tan bubbles for a head that leaves no lacing.

S- Slightly vinegar, dark fruits, woody and almost wine like.

T- Again wine like, vinegar, dark fruits, and tart. I kept picking up an odd sour green apple taste.

M- Fairly light in both body and carbonation.

O- Not a big fan of the vinegar/sour tastes. I found this one a bit hard to drink.

2.21/5  rDev -45.8%

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for splitting this bottle

Review adapted from notes taken 7/16/12

Appearance: Cloudy dark brown, starts with a nicely sized, light tan head, and leaves a lot of lacing

Smell: A base of brown ale malts - moderately sour, with some straight-up acidity, and lots of harsh vinegar - lots of oak - some dark fruits, dark berries

Taste: Upon my first sip I commented (jokingly), "this kind of tastes like vomit" - but as I continued to drink, I realized this was not a joke - it really does taste like vomit - or more specifically, the lingering taste of vaguely sour acid that remains on your tongue after blowing chunks - I wish that I were kidding - lightly sour, with some vinegar, and tons of stomach acid - the oak flavors only make this worse - beyond this characteristic, there are some malts here - cooked, lightly caramelized - and some fruits - rotten, overripe dark fruits - sweet, and this sweetness combined with the vomit flavor makes me want to gag

Mouthfeel: Mostly smooth, medium to full body, low carbonation - a lingering, somewhat unpleasant acidity

Overall: One-way ticket to Barf City

I was really excited for this beer. After all, I love a good sour. But this is not a good sour. It tastes like regurgitated stomach acid. I thought this may have been a bad bottle, but my description seems to match some others on this site. Do not want.

2.26/5  rDev -44.6%

Thankfully split the bottle with angrybabboon.

Appearance: Deep copper. Slightly hazed. Light tan head. Wispy and thin. Drops to a negligible collar in short order. Mild carbonation. You can see the barrel influence.

Smell: Oak, cherry, fig, more oak, and oak. Nicely sour with a building lactic backing. Citric acid as well. Leather and stale sweat. So much wood. Deeply fruity. Purple grapes, cherries, and plums. It's all there. Slightly vinous with a deeper red wine push and did I mention oak?

Taste: Dark fruit and oak...surprise! Huge citric acod. Lactic and oaky. Acidity is so high it reminds me of vomit. Aftertaste of vomit. Leather and huge punches of old, slightly fermented fruit juice. Cherries and plums that have moved beyond prime. Sweetness builds as it warms and pushes it in to the almost undrinkable range.

Mouthfeel: Moderate body with almost no carbonation. The barrel aging made it smooth and slightly creamy, but nuked any chance at carbonation.

Overall: I had high hopes for this beer. Those hopes were shattered. The near vomit taste really killed this thing. I wish I could describe it differently, but it literally left my mouth feeling like I had just thrown up. It was unsettling. Regardless, under the awful was a ton of dark fruit flavor. Punch that up and drop the oak a touch, and this might actually be drinkable.

2.68/5  rDev -34.3%

Consumed at Blue Palms 3rd Anniversary event in Hollywood, CA.

Clear, deep amber hued beer with almost no head.

Aroma of white vinegar; I couldn't get anything else.

Flavor is tart, slightly sour and acidic sort of like (wait for it) white vinegar. A fleeting hint of sour cherries gives way to a dash of caramel maltiness which cannot keep things from going too far into sour territory. Very low bitterness. Not very complex, sadly.

Mouthfeel is unremarkable.

Wince-inducing sourness is my overall impression of this beer. A nice palate cleanser, but nothing I'd want again.

2.69/5  rDev -34.1%

750 mL bottle, allowed to warm a little before being poured into my Duvel tulip.

Marron Acidifie pours a very deep brown, with faint ruby highlights visible under the proper lighting. The tan colored head tops out at about a finger and a half of height, and displays decent lacing. Head retention is very brief though. The second pour empties the bottle and introduces tons of small brown particles that float on the surface of the beer and stick to the sides of the glass... not very nice looking. The nose is vinegar heavy, but also has some notes of tart cherry, oak, and a mild funkiness. Vinegar goes totally over the top once the beer hits my mouth though, even having been allowed to warm some beforehand the beer is nigh on undrinkable from the overwhelming vinegar presence. Eventually, as the beer arrives near room temperature, it improves somewhat. The vinegar is still very "in your face", but there's some semblance of balance with some of the other flavors suggested by the aroma. The mouthfeel at least is decent. A little on the dry side for an 8%+ brew, which one might expect given the critters that went to work fermenting this one. At the same time the carbonation is largely understated, and has the beer been a little more full bodied I'd call it syrupy, but as is, slick will have to do as a descriptor. Marron Acidfie has got to be one of the biggest letdowns of a beer I've ever had. I've enjoyed beers from both The Bruery and Cigar City, and I'm usually one to like sour beers, but this was too tart for it's own good and the last third or so of it will be going down the drain.

2.76/5  rDev -32.4%

Pours a deep dark brown color with cherry/plum edges and a half finger beige head that immediately fades into a thin ring. Minimal spots of lace left behind.

Sweet vinous aroma with subtle earthy funk, vinegary acidity and tons of dark fruit. The barrel character is pretty strong with lots of toasted oak, complimenting the sweeter notes. Pretty vinous with hints of grape, dark cherries and other berries which meld well with the vinaigrette presence. Subtle malts underneath. The nose of this beer is really nice.

Medium bodied with a sweet tart presence that lingers throughout and dominates most of the flavor. Puckeringly sour with a strong acetic vinegar presence that is way too strong, giving off a chemical feel. This really hurts the flavor of this beer overpowering the vinous dark fruit notes, toasted oak and whatever malt presence there might be underneath.

I love sour beers but this is a bit of a one dimensional mess that's severely lacking in complexity.

Not sure what to say. I'm hoping this was a bad bottle as I love sour beers and was looking forward to this.

This brew lacked carbonation to the point where it felt was if I was drinking apple cider that had been left in the sun too long. Heavy vinegar notes and over the top wood characteristics. I want the wood to impart flavor but not make me think I'm taking a bite out of a tree limb.

3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

750 ml bottle served in a FFF teku glass. Shared with fellow BA danielnovak3.

A: Pours a dark cherry red color with brown hues in the body. Thin off white head forms on the pour and recedes to a thin ring. It leaves some light spots of lace.

S: Some cherry skins with a tart raspberry undertone. There is some thick maltiness with a touch of oak. Mild leather notes are present as well.

T: The body of this beer is incredibly malty. Some sweet dark cherry flesh and some tart respberry. There is a mild sour pucker with an oaky touch. The barrel produces some sweetness, but the malts really hit back in the finish.

M: Medium bodied with a little too much heft. Medium carbonation and a malty sweetness is on the finish.

O: The body of the beer was just too big and malty. I know the style was an "imperial" oud bruin, but I don't think the style really works. Not enough tartness and puckering to back up the big malt body.

3.17/5  rDev -22.3%

A: Poured into a tulip with just a whisper of a head. Dark, ruby red color. Not much evidence of carbonation.

S: Winey aromas from a distance. Cherry and stone fruit. Whiff of strawberry. Promise of nice acidity.

T: Initially dominated by wood, followed by a rich earthy flavor. There's some dark fruit, mostly prunes. Not all that tart for the most part, except for a spike just as you swallow. Finishes with almost a butterscotch / caramel that's as much feel as taste. Later sips start to reveal some spice.

M: Practically flat, would definitely like this to be a bit more lively. Full bodied, but finishes somewhat sticky (see taste comment). Not at all what I'd expect from this style.

As the beer warms a bit, the wood becomes more pronounced, and the finish less sticky. At the same time, the lack of carbonation becomes more of a letdown.

Glass #2 from the bottle picks up some bitterness and lots of floaties.

O: Something of a disappointment. Not bad, but not up to the hype.

Notes from Epic Bruery sour/wild tasting, 3/4/2012

Red-brown. Tart fruit aroma, slight vinegar. Very dry, earthy, leathery, and astrigent. Really too earthy to be enjoyable. 3.5,4,3,3,3

3.19/5  rDev -21.8%

This bottle was purchased at Jungle Jims. The beer was way cold when I broke it out the fridge. 20 minutes sitting on the counter and it was ready to go into a tulip glass.

Appearance: The coloration of the beer is a ruddy brown coloration. The head was thin and resolved quickly.

Smell: The aroma of the beer is vinous, vinegar blackberry, oak wood and leather.

Taste: The flavor of the beer has an acetic / lactic blackberry occasionally nearing cherry fruit tones. The finish to the flavor is tobacco and leathery notes. Very similar to hitting off of a full bodied cigar.

Mouthfeel: The body of the beer is light. A light body isnt problematic for a sour. The problem with is the beer was nearly still. This beer desperately called out for a hell of a lot more carbonation. The acetic lactic tones are too much for a still beer.

Overall: I really enjoyed the aroma of this beer. I really enjoyed the tart lactic fruit flavor notes of the beer. The mouthfeel kills this beer overall.

3.22/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Shared 3 ways. Murky, muddy, ugly pour that fits the style. Malty, funky, sour aroma. Dirty.

Tons of oak dominates the flavor. Overpowers the funky yeast & sourness. Doesn't fit the style as much as I'd like, but then again nothing seems up to snuff anymore after having Barrel Select. Lingering bitterness is unpleasant. Seriously though, way too much oak & barrel character.

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Consumed on September 2, 2011.

Pours bright maroon meets cranberry red-brown with a half finger of tan-colored head. Some, but not much, lacing.

Hallowed out (or watered down) red berry fruitiness with a strong acetic acid component. Biscuit malt backbone and yards of oak attempt to balance out the strong red wine vinegar aroma.

At first taste, this is stongly acetic in character, with a sharp lactic acidity and some strawberry/cherry berry sweetness (though it's not particularly bright or fresh, unlike, say, The Wanderer). It's a bit muddled, with lots of fresh woody oak and tart and sour red wine vinegar.

Medium-low carbonation, medium bodied, though it comes across as a bit watery. Really acetic and vinegary and oaky, with hints of butyric acid, this could use some balance. It's actually surprisingly straightforward. I enjoyed this more as I got further into the bottle - it became very drinkable as I became used to the acidity and sourness. Overall, I can't say I'm too impressed. Other Bruery wilds have been superior.

3.32/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured into large Duvel tulip in the mid-40's.

Just a faint tan head that fades quickly over the semi-opaque, dark brown body. Some carbonation flowing up.

Lots of oak and vanilla aromas, with vinegar, and some dark fruity sweetness.

Plenty of tart plum skin in the flavor, with lots of tannin and balsamic. Picked up on the leathery quality, but not the cranberry described on the label. A light, undiscernable burn accompanies the finish.

Mouthfeel seems a bit thin, even for the style. Carbonation level seems appropriate.

Overall, this is a decent example for the style, but not one of my favorites. I picked up 2, and will cellar the other one for a few years.

3.34/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: A reddish-brown pour, with a very small tan head. Small film never really seems to go away though. Spotty lacing.

S: Can smell this one across the room. Vinegar and tart cranberry/raisin. Lots of leather, caramel and brown sugar. Quite pleasant really.

T: Very puckering. Strong leather abound. Vinegary. Tart cranberries. Lots of oak, almost overpowering. Hints of soy sauce.

M: Medium bodied, very sour and drying.

O: I gave it my best shot but the taste is just plain unpleasant. Tastes like a good beer gone bad. I'm sure lots of people like the style but this one was a drainpour.

3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

a big thanks to yourefragile for this awesome extra!

a - the marron acidifie stays true to its name a pours a lovely maroon color, haze is indicative of its unpasteurized nature, and has the tiniest of heads, which surprised me, and, although a bizarre description, settles into a pattern that i could only describe as bacterial culture, but i'm kinda into that sort of thing

s - the smell is of tart cherries with some bourbon undertones

t - much of the same, not sure where i was getting the hints of bourbon, probably from the oak. strong tannins and a hint of tropical fruits per the bottles description. not super sour, and i would say not the most balanced i've had by any means

m - full body. a definite sipper for sure

o - the first few sips of this collaboration were delightful, but to be honest as it bottle poured on this became harder to finish for me. i think there were too many opposing tastes in one bottle that conflicted with my taste buds. glad i tried it, but won't go out of my way to seek this one out again.

3.36/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

750mL from Sparky. Thanks!

A: Very dark red with a lack of head. Solid looking with good carbonation.

N: Acetone, glue, bleu cheese. Sour cherries, a touch of ginger. Some leather, tannins, and oak.

T: More of the cherry mixed with acetone. Tannins and sour on a moderate-high level. Some harsh solvents.

M: Decent amount of carbonation and medium body.

O: Don’t know why they chose an imperial oud bruin when the normal version is so hard to get right. Would be a lot better if they’d gone that route.

3.45/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Mikkeller wine-style glass.

Marron indeed. Its a deep shade of maroon with shades of fig, purple and brown. Not much of a head, even from a rough pour. I even adjusted the pour to become more aggressive once I noticed there wasn't going to be a problem with overflow. It quickly dissipates to nothing but a pinstripe around the edge. Swirling will leave spots of foam on the side of the glass.

The aroma has that balsamic vinegar aroma I expect from a Flanders style sour. This one's vinegar smell is quite nicer than most. A black cherry and plum skin aroma is very strong and lends some acidity and under-ripe fruitiness to the beer's bouquet. Oak comes out quite strongly as the beer warms. This lends an unexpected level of vanilla to things.

The sourness is very calm on this one. It does, at least, ride out the whole flavor experience with a series of peaks and valleys. Lots of sour cherry and plum tussle with chocolate and wood. The finish has notes of orange juice, cranberry and lots of oaky wood.

Thinner body with a sharp acidity and a fairly dry finish.

I'm not sure this is worth the $20 some I paid for it, but it is a pretty well constructed sour with plenty of subtlety. The less aggressive sourness and pronounced under-ripe fruitiness might make this beer one of the better introductory sours, if it weren't for the price and limited nature of it.

3.52/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Last bottle, figured I'd see what happened with some age, but after having some vintage Oude Tart and batch#50 GFAR and now this, it seems as though Bruery sours either don't benefit at all from aging or they just fall off completely.

A- Solid dark ruby brown, thin head, looks pretty good no haze or cloudiness, easily best part about the beer

S- If the acetone wasn't so prevalent, I would've scored it higher as the underlying notes were nice, but the acetone just killed it for me. Other characteristics on the nose were cherry, vanilla, some light brown malt notes

T- Acetone note is lighter here, but unfortunately so is everything else. Acetone still present though, so can't really score it any higher

M- Its alright, if it was carbonated a little more, the acetone may not have been as big an issue in the taste

O- Eh, nothing special at this point

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

On tap during Philly Beer Week.

A: 5 shades darker than chestnut brown. Only the faintest skim of khaki. Stray slivers of lacing here and there.

S: Dark fruits dominate. Cherries, raisins, dark berries. A lingering sourness is ever-present.

T: Like the nose there are dark, sour fruits dominating up front before eventually finishing in a puckering lactic sourness. Others were more impressed with this than I. I just didn't think it had the necessary oak and earth that should complement the fruity sourness.

M: The sourness is a bit off-putting without the accompanying oak contribution. Don't get me wrong, I like sours as well as the next... this just was a little off.

O: A decent Oud Bruin... but this is the kind of beer that pisses me off about both breweries involved here. I am all for experimentation, but damn guys... in the last three years between the two of you, you've made 300 f'ing beers. Don't experiment with beers that eventually cost 20-30 bucks. Oude Tart was 800x better.

3.61/5  rDev -11.5%

A: Murky ruby. Dirty head and heavy sediment.

S: Musty cherry/cranberry

T: Tart/sour cranberry, slightly sweet and woody

M: Medium carbonation. Leaves the mouth lit up and puckered.

O: Really nice sour, but the cranberry taste is not my favorite.

3.62/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a hazy deep burgundy color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some light lacing. Aromas of oak and sour notes are quite powerful with light tannin notes are also perceptible. Taste is a complex mix between some sour notes with some oak and some tannin and balsamic vinegar notes. Body is quite full with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. The description is quite right about this beer being an imperial Flanders red – interesting though not something I could drink in large quantities in one serving considering it is quite sour with a tad too much of acidity.

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

750 mL bottle poured into a de Struise chalice.

Appearance - Reddish body. Small off-white head. A little murky.

Smell - Tons of sour cherry. Slightly vinegar acidity. Creamy malt and some oak.

Taste - The malt is much stronger in the taste than the smell. It's got a strong vinegar flavor. Balsamic without a really strong sourness. Very oaky. Cherry fruit flavors abound.

Mouthfeel - Could be less sweet, but it's got a decent sour kick to it. Heavy for the style. Tons of malt.

Overall - I liked this a lot better the first time I had it. A little too malty and heavy. Slightly metallic flavor tt as well, which may be age.

3.67/5  rDev -10%

The beer is not very carbonated as it requires a super aggressive pour to produce a one-finger thick, fairly large bubbled, amber tinged, darker tan colored head. The beer is a dark, concentrated amber color that shows a fairly clear, cranberry red hue when held up to the light. The aroma smells of cherries & berries up front with a backing acetic acidity that then morphs into a finish that is softly reminiscent of acetone. There are suggestions of toasted malt, biscuit like malt aromatics and crushed brown / crystalized malt; these are only subtly noticed over the top of the bright fruitiness that is in the nose. Other suggestions of sherry and perhaps port show some oxidation around the edges. The malt in this beer becomes a bit more noticeable as it warms up, and I like that the overall affect is to add a slight savory quality to the aroma. As the beer warms up quite a bit more some oak starts to come out; it accentuates the toasted part of the malt character and provides a soft, sort of spicy, sort of peppery, sort of sharply woody aromatic component to the nose

This has a touch of sharpness to it from the acidity, much of which seems lactic-acid in derivation, but the piquancy in the sourness is produced by the touch of acetic acid that is here in the flavor. This finishes with a fairly chewy, toasted grain character that really lingers on the palate; it also has quite a bit of brown bread character to it lurking just beneath the surface. The malt has definitely oxidized and produces flavors of nuts, perhaps a touch of sherry and just a woody, muted grain quality. Speaking of wood, there is certainly a spiciness from some oak here as well as a soft, general woodiness that reminds me a bit of fresh cut wood planks. The lack of carbonation certainly has a big effect on this beer; the palate seems a bit thin, and it could certainly use the brightness that some carbonation would add; there is a touch of prickle to the palate and the body also has a touch of viscous heft to it as it isn’t really watery in character. The fruit character that was in the nose is not nearly as apparent here in the flavor, but there are still softer notes of tart raisins, a touch of prune and maybe some cherry flavors. As the beer warms up a bit more of the fruit character becomes noticeable; even the cherry starts to become a bit more distinct. My second pout was quite a bit softer and there is perhaps a hint more carbonation, though it is still not enough.

Not bad for an Oud Bruin, it certainly misses a few marks because of the lack of carbonation, but there is enough beer here to live without it. The flavors never seems to shine bright enough, everything is a bit muted and this beer never really achieves a great, integrated balance. Having said all that this is still an enjoyable beer, I was just hoping for something that was a bit more. The aroma is almost there though, as it does have a nice balance of components to it.

Collaboration Series: Marrón Acidifié from The Bruery