Collaboration Series: ISO:FT - The Bruery

Collaboration Series: ISO:FTCollaboration Series: ISO:FT

The Bruery visit their website

American Wild Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-03-2011)

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

At The Bruery barrel tasting event

Pours a murky, amber to orange color with a minimal head of off-white foam. No lacing to speak of. Wood, red fruit and acidic qualities in the nose. Taste opens with big notes of oak followed by sour red fruit. There is a warming quality to the beer mid-palate. Some booze is detectable on the back end and the finish is semi-dry with a lingering sour fruit aftertaste. Medium body with a low level of carbonation. This is quite good. Not as sour as Oude Tart, which I prefer, but a nice take on a wild ale. Great sour fruit flavors and well masked ABV. Recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

Sampled at a recent tasting thanks to hoppymcgee.

Pours a hazy copper color with a finger or two of off-white head. Lighter than I expected, compared to what I remember from Marron Acidife.

Aromas just ike with Marron Acidifie, begin with plenty of red fruits and particularly lots of red vinuous grapiness. Nice oak and some nice figs and sour grapes. The added/aged fruits (guava and dates) aren't really coming through for me.

The tastes begin with a light caramel sweetness to it with just a hint of figs and dates. Red wine grapes, red wine vinegar and some tart white grapes meld well with the oakiness adding a tannic quality, some leathery funk in the background.

The mouthfeel is medium in body with a medium carbonation.

Overall to be honest I think I liked Marron Acidife a little better and it is/was much easier to "track down" even though I didn't have to do so here. Based on the inflated secondary market due to the rarity of this beer, I can't say it something I need to or ever will revisit. It was a really high quality beer don't get me wrong, but Marron Acidife is just as good if not better in my opinion.

3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

A vigorous pour produces a quarter-finger thick, lightly brown tinged, dark tan colored head that fades away fairly quickly. The beer is a dark, brown color that has perhaps a touch of concentrated red color in it; when held up to the light the beer shows a deeply red stained, amber tinged color. There is a definite acidity to the aroma, it is a bit spicy like vinegar, though not overly so. The acidity is backed by a rich cherry like character as well as a rich dark fruitiness. Then a woody, musty, slightly spicy, oak and funkiness kicks in; the wood is quite noticeable, while the funkiness plays a little bit more of a lesser role here in the nose. There is a funky tart and fruit note here that reminds me of Cigar City’s Guava Grove Saison, so I wonder if this is from the Guava. As the beer warms up an aged malt character starts to contribute a nice nutty note that combines with the fruit to almost remind me of amaretto.

Slightly fizzy feeling and a bit more light bodied than I was expecting, it still has some heft and texture to it, but body wise it does not seem that much bigger than many a Oude Bruin; I bet the fruit has dried / lightened this up by quite bit. There is a woodiness to the finish that combines with a hint of an almost roasted, sort of cocoa like note; the woodiness has an astringency to it that is also sort of spicy. The beer does not have much sweetness to it, which makes it taste less fruity than the flavor did. There is a nice acidity to this beer, though it is certainly not an aggressive, or even biting sourness. The acidity seems to be most noticeably acetic, but in reality the acetic character is quite soft & I would guess that there is more lactic acid to this beer (the former just tends to be way more noticeable than the latter). Bitter malt notes combine with aged tobacco flavors, some oxidized, fairly nutty, almost sherry like malt notes and even some whole grain brown bread like notes; now that I have noticed it the aged / oxidized malt character is actually fairly noticeable. As the beer warms up more of the fruitiness comes out with notes cherry, touches of date and a sort of raisin like flavor. At times the alcohol is a bit noticeable with some heat, but it never becomes overly intrusive.

This is actually fairly nice; this didn’t wow me, but I wasn’t really expecting it to, but it is a nice beer to spend an evening with. I do like the mix of aged malt, fruit, light sourness and oak character that makes up the bulk of this beer. The fruit (meaning the dates and the guava), end up being very subtle here; if I wasn’t told about them I wouldn’t have guessed either of these fruits were in this beer, which I think is probably a good thing.

3.68/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured into my SN tulip. It poured a deep dark brown with a fizzy white head the quickly disappeared. Smelled of dark fruits and vinegar notes. Tasted of figs, dates, raisins and other dark fruits. The oak flavors were not as prevalent as I’d hoped but came through late nonetheless. Well carbonated for the style. I’m not a huge sour fan but this was one of the better ones I’ve had.

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

I had this at a tasting hosted by finewinemike. Thank you so much to Arenbeer for bringing this bottle. I never thought I would get to try this one. Poured from a bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy reddish dark amber color. There is a layer of off white head and decent retention.

Smell: Fruity with sweet malt and mild vinegar notes. Acidic and mildly sweet.

Taste: Super tart and a bit fruity. There are some woody notes as well as fruit. The malt balances out the sourness very well. The finish is a bit spicy and sour.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with very tingly carbonation and a finish that is a bit spicy.

Overall: The barrel did good things to this beer. I thought this was a real treat to get to try.

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Hazy light brown. Sedimenty. Lacing on the rim.

Sour and sweet. Cherry, caramel, grape peel.

Complex. Cherries, raisin, maple, brown sugar, light vanilla. Sweet dark fruits basically with the element of mid sour levels.

Sticky sweet finish. Light.

Damn tasty.

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle shared by Sandstone. Thanks, Rog.

Pretty much copying my Marron Acidifie review here because the beers are so damn similar. Dark reddish-brown topped by a thin head. Carbonation is low and the body is cloudy and opaque. Tart raspberry/blackberry aroma, very vinous, reminiscent of red wine vinegar. Hay-like funk, reserved acetic sourness with a little brown malt beneath. Guava has a faint presence on the nose, lending a tropical fruit undertone that's pleasant. I can't say that the dates come through much at all. Sharply sour on the tongue, exhibiting a nice balance of acetic and lactic sourness with a lean toward the acetic side. Blackberry fruitiness, subtle guava, integrated oak and some nice vinous dryness in the finish. Very enjoyable, but it's not particularly different than Marron; the fruit adds a very mild layer of flavor.

3.55/5  rDev -14%

A - Murky copper colored beer with a litle bit of reddish on the sides. Bit of a beige head, some spots left on the sides.

S - Smells a lot like Marron Acidifie but it's not as potent. Some vanilla, dark fruit, a bit of tartness. Nothing real special here.

T - Actually a bit disappointed. I liked Marron Acidifie more, but supposedly they are close to the same beer. Might be because I had that one on tap. Some dark fruit, maybe some guava, little bit of sourness. The flavor is very mild and falls kind of flat.

M - Medium bodied, lower carbonation, could have used some more to liven it up.

O - Just not blown away by this beer. Not tart enough, flavors not distinctive enough, just kind of muddled together and lacking in carbonation.

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

Thanks to GregSVT for sharing this bottle at the Flying Saucer Beer Tasting.

The beer pours a hazy orange color with a white head. The aroma is full of dark fruit, with a lot of cherries, cranberries and blackberries. I also get a nice dose of brown sugar and some light tartness.

The flavor is also very nice. I get a lot of tart cherries and other dark fruit, as well as some nice oaked notes. I get a little bit of toffee as well as some light sweetness and brown sugar notes. The sweet and sour components go very well together.

The mouthfeel is relatively thin and the carbonation is pretty low. A very nice sour beer.

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

Appearance: Slightly murky ruby-brown with a small off-white head:

Smell: Muddled dark fruits, I mostly get dates and raisins

Taste: Again, this particular offering is a bit muddled for me. I get mosty dates and raisins, the guava is not wowing me. Medium tartness with a touch of oak. Would be nice if it had a bit more funk

Mouthfeel: medium to full, carbonation is slightly low

Overall: I found the flavors to be a bit messy, with some fine-tuning and focus on the guava it could be very tasty I suppose.

Collaboration Series: ISO:FT from The Bruery