Provisions Series: Cuádruple - The Bruery

Provisions Series: CuádrupleProvisions Series: Cuádruple

The Bruery visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-05-2011

Cuádruple combines elements of Belgium with elements of Mexico, hence the name, meaning "quadruple" in Spanish. We bended a classic Belgian quad recipe by removing the standard Belgian candi sugars and replacing them with dark agave syrup. The resulting beer is a luxurious tribute to two very different parts of the world.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 45, SRM: 25, Release: One time only
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a brownish-amber color with a tan head. The aroma is about what you would expect, with a lot of dark fruit - mainly raisins and figs - as well as some toffee and a little bit of alcohol.

I get a lot of dark fruit and toffee in the aroma, as well as some chocolate and some candy sugar. The beer is fairly balanced - not too sweet but not too dry.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.41/5  rDev -5.8%

A- Dark brownish black, off white plentiful head. Clean and dark.

S- Nothing crazy here, some sweet malt and spice. Touches of dark fruit and some booziness.

T- Typical dark belgian. Some interesting spice notes, which I would assume is from the agave. Again, a little hot and boozy.

M- A little over carbed, but not bad. The body is pretty spot on for the style.

O- Not a bad beer, but lacks any real depth in character. I'm going to let my other bottle cellar for a year or so and see if it get any better.

3.81/5  rDev +5.2%

Nice head, sticky lacing. Pours a dark brown.

Alcohol, belgian notes.

Really sweet - a unique and satisfying sweetness, probably the agave. Grape, raisin, belgian undertones. I like it.

A tad hot.

Very nice beer, the agave works well with the style. Refreshing mouthfeel and finish. I'd love for the Bruery to keep adding agave into different styles, it really adds a dimension.

This is rated a tad lower than it should be. Great beer.

3.22/5  rDev -11%

This is another multi-review between four people for a 750 mL.

For the style, we all thought it was a bit too dry and too bitter, lacking the fruity smoothness of a truly great quad. It's heavily malted, not very sweet, and way dry. Almost too spicy, definitely too carbonated, and too bitter for a quad, at least one that would rate a high rating for me or my buddies. Feel is pretty good but not outstanding, mainly because of too much carbonation and too much lingering bitterness. Again the over carbonation takes a bit away. A quad should be smooth and mellow, but this one is pretty in your face.

2.46/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours a dark mahagony with a slightly tanned head of a couple of fingers that settles to cover most of the surface. Okay lacing, but disappointingly transparent when viewed in the light.

Really odd nose. Some dark fruit, though less than is typical for the style (think figs). A weird roast and sweet ashy aroma joins, along with esters, some spice, and light medicinal / herbal notes. Not altogether pleasant or coherent.

Typical bready maltiness, lots of brown sugar sweetness, plus an anonymous sweetness that might be due to the agave (which doesn't seem to have dried out the beer much). The mid-palate is incongruently spicy and sweet, resembling persimmons (or another slightly spicy prunus fruit). Earthy and almost medicinal finish. Lingering heat closes this one out.

Medium thick body with medium carbonation. I think the mouthfeel will improve as it ages and dries out a little bit.

If I tried this blind, I'm not sure what I'd call it. Odd in a number of ways (too sweet, a clash mid-palate between the spicy / yeasty / medicinal attributes, the roast, and an almost bitter and herbal finish). One of my least favorite quads to date and certainly sub-par for the style.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

A - Dark brownish-red color with a tan head that dissipated to some small bits of lace and stick on the sides.

S - Wow, what the heck is in this, cigarette butts? Rubbing alcohol? Smells like a quadlike version of death. If this is the aquave, please don't ever do this again, it smells HORRIBLE.

T - Taste is surprisingly good, it's somewhat of a quad-lite, very non-traditional. The aguave adds some interesting flavor kick to it. Bit of ether-like alcohol thins this one out a bit. It is sweet with some dark fruits, pretty good, and pretty interesting.

M - Medium bodied with a healthy dose of carbonation.

O - If this didn't smell so completely horrible it would be a pretty good beer. It may not actually taste as good as I thought either, as the taste was such a pleasant surprise after smelling it that I probably overrated it. A solid beer, different, but not outstanding.

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

Its a Quad brewed with dark agave nectar - hence, Cuadruple

A-Pours a deep mahogoney with a big light tan head. Decent head retention. No real lacing.
S-First thing I notice that a little different than most Quad is a malt raoastiness that I don't usually get. Its not strong, just the first thing I noticed. Its also brewed with dark agave nectar opposed to Belgian candi sugar, so that has a less Belgian effect on the smell. I get dark fruits, roast as mentioned, light Belgian yeast, slight must.
T- This has a very simple taste for a Quad. Its not very deep or complex at all. I get dark fruits, some pipe tobacco, light leather, with an odd sweetness.
M- Nn the thin side for a Quad.
D- Its incredibly easy to drink for 10%. Its not a sipper - I drank my glass in about 20 minutes while trying slow down the whole way down.

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

750 mL bottle split between 3 people.

Pours a translucent brown with a finger of tannish head. Smell is somewhat limited. There is a sweetness and some dark fruits, though not as complex, interesting or powerful as some quads. Taste is solid, if not unspectacular. Sweet, but not cloyingly so and smooth. Doesn't make me think strongly of a quad. Somewhat generic, but not in a bad way. Taste is like the nose.
Mouthfeel is a bit thinner than expected with solid medium carbonation. Ultimately fine, just different. Was very drinkable for the style, though that may have been from the thinner mouthfeel and less aggressive taste. Very much fine, decent, enjoyable, but not great and maybe a bit off style.

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottle shared with ffejherb, Deuane, and SierraGS poured into a snifter.

A - Pours murky brown with a nice one finger tall off-white head, dissipating down to almost nothing, leaving small wisps of lacing down the glass.

S - Smells like your typical quad but with a bit more sweetness. It almost has a medicinal aroma to it. Nothing special really.

T - Starts off with a shot of chewy caramel malt. Your typical Belgian dark fruits; most notably raisins, prunes, and figs; come thru next with a light earthy spice. Booze is ever present but never really gets in the way. The agave imparts a subtle sugary sweetness that lasts all the way thru the finish. Not your typical quad but really nothing to write home about either.

M - Medium-heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sweet, slick, feel with some lingering heat in the finish.

D - Not too bad but it just seems to have a bit too much going on at the same time. I really didn't notice much of the agave either. Either way with the muddled flavors and the high A.B.V. it is a sipper at best.

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I've had this beer three times now, a taster at the Provisions, a taster at the Bruery tasting room, and I had a large glass from a growler of it that I brought home to share with others. With that said, this review will be from tap.

The beer pours a hazy, milk chocolate brown color, with about a inch in a half of head that rises, then fades rapidly into just a film of head resting on top. Some sticky lacing, but not much.

The beer smells of dates, figs, yeasty esters, sugar, and what I guess must be agave. I know what Tequila smells like (which this does not smell like) so that unfamiliar note I'm assuming is Agave.

The beer is fairly sweet, like guava or kiwi sweet (though not so much in actual taste). Flavors of dark fruits, some roasted malts, and Belgian yeast still come through, and it still has a candy like quality, though less so then a typical quad. An odd concoction of flavors, although it is unique to be sure. Mildly detect the 10% alcohol, but it is masked to a fair degree by the sweetness.

The mouth feel was medium, with generous carbonation retention throughout. It is also a bit sticky, a typical trait of quads in my experience.

Overall, it is not my favorite quad, and agave notes are a bit off putting, but only because it is not familiar flavor for me, so it is not something that I crave for. However, some Bruery beers ( Einers folly comes to mind) was much better in the bottle then on draft, so maybe some aging and bottle conditioning will improve the beer. I've got two bottles, so will see how they taste with at least a year of age on them.

3.52/5  rDev -2.8%

On tap at Churchill's in a snifter.

A: Ruddy reddish brown. Opaque. Small beige cap.

S: Earthy and sugary, with notes of prunes, raisins, and dried dates. Malt is rich with caramel and bready notes. Mildly spicy.

T: Rich caramel and bready malt. Prominent prune and raisin, with a light spicy character. Booze is very well hidden in the flavor, almost undetectable. Agave imparts a subtle earthy sugary quality. Finish is rich with substantial warming.

M: Lower full body with moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is smooth with much alcohol warming.

Overall: A nice Belgian Quad, though lacking The Bruery's usual flair. Agave doesn't provide much, but it's an interesting idea.

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a blackened brown with a small tan cap of foam, moderate retention, very good lacing present. Aroma of Belgian yeast esters, hints of roast, subdued maltiness. Tastes of estery yeast notes, banana, malt, little fruitiness or sweetness. Long herbal and earthy finish. Moderately thick body with higher levels of carbonation. Interesting take on a quadrupel. Drier and roastier than typical and lacking the fruity vinous quality of the great Belgian examples. Should improve with age.

Props to orangesol for busting this out on 3/3/11 to share with Deuane, SierraGS and myself.

A - Poured a dark reddish brown liquid with purple hues and a creamy beige cap of foam that dispersed into a patchy film and deposited strands of lace around the snifter.

S - A cornucopia of complex aromas abounds, beginning with the requisite dark fruit attributes suggesting plum, raisin and dried apricot. Hints of sweet tobacco leaf, licorice/anise, candi sugar and subtle cocoa notes give the aroma lots of depth and character. Strong alcohol notes persist throughout. Caramel and toffee malt adds sweetness, while a pinch of herbal hop character provides much needed bitterness.

T - Licorice and dark fruit stand out and remain at the forefront, bolstered by the moderate boozy alcohol notes, and provides a tangy initial flavor. Think lots of dried, pitted fruits. Finishes with a mild herbal hop bite. The agave isn't featured prominently, at least from what I can tell.

M - Full bodied and syrupy with a bit of sweetness on the palate. The beefy alcohol presence delivers some heat. Finishes with mild bitterness on the tongue.

D - Strong, tangy and flavorful, Cuadruple is an interesting take on a Quad, but I was a bit underwhelmed with the agave character, unfortunately. Otherwise, this is a solid brew overall.

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

Very dark, almost black poured at Beerevolution, was hoping for some oude tart sour cherry, but was pleasantly offered one of these instead. Loved the aroma. Dark sugar/fruit and what I suspect is that special agave or whatnot.

More chocolate than I've had in any quad style, and it is so different, I'm really diggin' on this I was thinking. Not too sweet, not the herbal spice I tend to disagree with in many Belgian quad styles, this feels like it was made for me. Hid the alcohol quite well, but then again, I was already drunk.

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a clear red wine color with just a ring of head. No lacing. Color is great though

Aroma isn't as strong as the other provisions series beers. Sort of a tartness. Don't know how to really describe it.

Taste is pretty good. Doesn't taste much like a quad. Sort of sweet. Slight tartness on your tongue. Smooth. It's missing the dark fruits. Little bit of Belgian funk.

Mouthfeel is good. Like a quad should be. Sort of dry. Nice carb.

Overall it's pretty good but I wouldn't call it a Quad.

2.09/5  rDev -42.3%

Sampled at Provisions.

A - The beer pours a cocoa brown, with a finger of head.

S - A very small amount of agave, dark fruits. My fiance smelled coffee, but I didn't.

T - Way too sweet. A tinge of agave, but all I taste is unfermented sugars.

M - Medium bodied. A bit syrupy.

D - A flight pour was more than enough. I don't really think this was a quad.

3.46/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance - Dark coca-cola brown color with fairly thickl light brown head.

Smell Slight musk from what I guess is a Belgian yeast. I also get some raisin-like aroma. Too bad I don't know what agave smells like.

Taste - Tart raisin-like taste with a dry finish.

Mouth-feel -Decent body with good carbonation.

Drink-ability - Decent.

This beer doesn't taste in line with quads such as Trappiste Rochefort, or St. Bernadus Abt 12, this beer is considerably less fruity compared to the classics for the style. I do find it an interpretation that fits my tastes, good carbonation, full-bodied, and a unique if not true to style taste.

3.8/5  rDev +5%

A- Heavy pour produced a 2 finger head that faded fast and left little retention. Dark cola color with a lot of ruby hue

S- dark fruit, lots of roasted sugary sweetness, agave, and a faint earthy dirt/tobacco smell

T- Heavy sweetness from the mixture of fruits and agave nectar. The Belgian yeast provides a nice balance

M- A little on the thin side, but carbonation is spot on

D- Overall a very pleasant beer as long as you like the style. I've been in a sweet beer mood, so it's good for my current palate mood

3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

A - Pours a mocha brown with a 2 finger head.

S - brown sugar, agave (yeah, it's in there), roasted coffee, and dark fruits.

T - Initial sip is a lot of agave flavors with a tinge of tequila. Then you get almost a cactus like acidity in the back. Dark fruits, sugar, and a hint of cocoa.

M - Not very complex, good amount of carbonation. Average body on this one.

D - A little too acidic for me, and it leaves a sticky cactus like aftertaste that I couldn't shake for some time. Wish this had some Belgian dark sugars to make it a more true to form quad.

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

Served in a glass at the Provisions store in Orange.

A - Clear, dark brown with minimal head that dissipates fairly quick.

S - Figs, molasses, agave, and malt.

T - Fruity esters. You can taste the blue agave syrup, not cloying but lends a tequila/pulque type flavor typical of agave. Malt sweetness and a warm alcohol flavor dominate. Typical for the style, mostly.

M - Medium carbonation, but a bit thin in the body for the ABV and style. I suspect the generous use of agave thinned the beer out more than I would have liked.

D - At 10% ABV, I could not see myself drinking a whole 750mL, so I gave it a 3.

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

252nd review on BA
Tap to goblet

App- A reddish brown with a 1 finger head that didnt last very long.

Smell- To me it was brown sugar that I probably am mistaking the Agave for. It was sweet and malty on the nose as well.

Taste- A very light quad if you want to call it one with the flavors being there but just a bit short on FLAVOR. It had the dark fruits and it was a bit sticky.

Mouth- I really enjoyed the after taste on this beer. It left me wanting more but the taste wouldnt allow a 2nd glass. It was a nice medium body with a somewhat medium carb level.

Drink- It was okay for a re-work of a classic style with some new flavors for a twist.

3.35/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a dark murky brown. Surprisingly robust light brown head. What's the abv? Hmm....lot of foam.

I'd like to say I smell agave, but I don't. Then again, I'm not sure I would recognize agave if someone handed me a piece of agave and I chewed on it for an hour. Smells like sugars, some dark fruits, raisins, sugars, sugars, booze, and a bit of weird astringent roastiness.

I was dreading that weird astringent roastiness showing up in the flavor, and it does, in a big way. Is that agave? Again ... not quite sure. This strain of off-putting, almost ... like roasted prune/raisin skins ... really doesn't mesh with the rest of the brew. The base of dark fruits, oh-so-sweet malty booziness, and hints of yeasty spiciness is nice. Just wish I could Brundlefly that off-note out of the beer.

Mouthfeel is pure agave, all the way. So is the drinkability. It really drinkables in an authentic agave fashion.

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

750 ml bottle

poured into a Duvel tulip, pours dark brown with a thick mocha colored two finger head. big bubbles, it lasts for a few minutes, almost no lacing. not letting a lot of light through, but good clarity once it gets towards the bottom of the glass. dark/chocolate malt on the nose, black fruit, hint of cloves. nice mouth feel, medium body, good carb level. taste is big dark malts, plum, prune, raisin, nutty. got a little hot in mid palate for a moment but the alcohol faded pretty quickly. not sure what dark agave syrup tastes like, but I'm sure there's plenty of it here. *rolls eyes* not getting any tequila flavors anyway. pretty long finish w/ nice malts and more of the dried fruit flavors. it's got a little something in the background, like the coconut in a TJ's mini chocolate chip cookie, that says, "come on, have another sip..." Upon reflection, I get similar impression/finish as the two turtle doves - maybe their yeast strain? overall a nice beer. drinks much too well for 10%. if 2TD was a quad, this would be its neighbor.

3.46/5  rDev -4.4%

On-tap at the Bruery

A: The beer pours a very dark brown, perhaps chestnut, color with a finger or so of khaki colored head.

S: A surprising amount of roast is present on the nose. Dark sugars and agave are there along with some dark fruits. There's a bit of an acidity to the nose as well as a smell that I can only describe as woody.

T: Dark fruits come through strongly along with the agave and other dark sugar notes. There are some chocolate flavors along with roast. Alcohol is noticeable and there is a mild roasted malt quality--certainly not as strong as on the nose. I get a bit of a red grape flavor on the back end as well.

M: The body is medium with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: Not exactly what I think of when it comes to Quads. I would have liked it to be sweeter and heavier on the dark fruit and candi sugar.

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

On tap at the source

A: poured a dark brown in color with reddish amber brown highlights when held up to the light and had a nice tight finger of head leaving some good lacing sticking to the glass.

S: dark fruits alongside brown sugar were noticeable on the first whiff with light toasted pecans, slight banana, spices, and belgian yeast character.

T: the booze waas pretty well hidden in the aroma but showed its face on the taste with dark fruits, banana, spice,and toasty nutty accents but had the belgian yeast running all through it.

M: the brew was medium in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a sweet, nutty, yeasty, boozy, and slight toasty finish.

D: definitely a sipper but was a decent interpretation of a belgian style quad.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast