Provisions Series: Salt Of The Earth - The Bruery

Provisions Series: Salt Of The EarthProvisions Series: Salt Of The Earth

The Bruery visit their website

Gose |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: t0rin0 on 02-26-2011)
Reviews by xnicknj:
2.9/5  rDev -14.7%

750mL bottle poured into taster - thanks to gcphilli

Pours a super pale straw color with a fizzy white head bubbling up and quickly fading out. Dissolves into a few spots of lacing on the glass.

Oddly funky and vegetal scents in the nose, punctuated by coriander, salt, straw and tartness. A strange combination of scents.

Salty and tart up front with notes of spice and coriander. Faint pear sweetness and soft straw malts. Funky, tart and salty throughout, finishing dry.

Lighter body, higher carbonation, crispy and lingering on the tongue. It might be because I just had the Tired Hands gose last week, but this was a little strange and difficult to drink.

xnicknj, Oct 25, 2012
1.27/5  rDev -62.6%

This bottle was opened at a recent tasting sampled side by side with the Upright Gose. This was my first time with the style and was excited to finally try some examples. I'm also happy we had one excellent example (Upright) and then as a counterpoint; this beer.

It pours a very hazy cloudy straw yellow. Fluffy white head with medium retention.

The nose is so salty it's like a brine, or even a dry ocean air. I was prepared for a salty beer but I was not prepared for the accompanying levels of sweaty feet. I like a good funk but this was at near rancid levels and had no redeeming qualities.

While I thought the nose was pretty bad, it did not make me gag like the taste did. Once again the closest comparison I can make is sweaty feet, like wringing out a marathon runners sock into a glass. The salt is way overdone in a 'drinking sea water' type way and whatever 'souring' bugs they used were not kind of the beer. If a sour mash was used in this beer, it didn't turn out good. It's reminiscent of a when I'm lazy and don't clean out my mash tun for 2 days.

The salt drys out the mouth and gives a parched mouthfeel. I can't even describe the rest of the mouthfeel mostly because I wanted it out of my mouth as quick as possible.

I'm so glad we had another tasty Gose to try side by side, otherwise I'd have sworn off the style as a cruel joke. This is just a swing and a miss for the Bruery.

weatherdog, May 18, 2011

jp7161, Feb 01, 2012

Callmecoon, Nov 21, 2011
3.4/5  rDev 0%

Cool ass hazy yellow beer with a massive 2.5" head to it that looks as comfortable to lie on as a slightly broken in high end pillow. Aroma was constrained, mild citrus, didn't really pick anything up from it.

Taste, jeez, not so much 'salt' as mineral salt. Reminded me of those Calistoga mineral waters that was kind of the rage back in the 80s. Light lemon feel to it. A mix of hefeweizen and mineral water. Super mild amount of sour or tartness to it, very minor, nothing like in a wild ale, more like a summer beer's tartness. Some sage or rosemary like herbal presence.

Just not likely to be a beer for the beer geek masses. Not a stout, not really sour, not hoppy, not all that rare. Neat to drink something different.

Beerandraiderfan, May 23, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

SPRichard, Dec 27, 2011

daveytheformer, Nov 25, 2011

acurtis, Aug 11, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -13.2%

Thanks to Scalene for this one. By way of light whale BIF 2. Poured from a 750ml capped bottle into a Harpoon Weizen glass.

A: Standard pour yields a huge, 7 finger frothy white head with annoyingly good retention. I want to get to my beer damnit! Color is a cloudy, pale yellow. Lacing is stringy with robust with good cling. Pretty standard but the head is a bit overwhelming.

S: Nose is very distinct. Lemon rind, a sharp spiciness, and a subtle, but unmistakable new rubber smell. Weird. Not bad or off-turning, but very weird.

T: Opens with a new rubber taste. Like I've been chewing on a rubber duck. Lemon rind, some miscellaneous spiciness that I can't put my finger on. Tartness towards the end with a mild yeasty bitter presence. Finish is more rubberiness with an aftertaste of wet wood chips dipped in rubber. Awkward.

M: Light bodied and well carbonated. Spicy and abrasive in the mouth but somehow very dead. Goes down with some bubbles with a sticky, messy aftertaste that lingers. Very dull.

O: In and of itself, the gose style is, in my opinion, already a twisted, inferior version of the hefeweizen. Salt of the Earth doesn't do anything to change my mind and the feel it gives is particularly dull and boring. Not many goses around so this is worth a try, but its pedestrian at best.

SpeedwayJim, May 16, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +18.5%

I kinda like this beer. I guess some don't like the salt but I don't think it's too salty.

Poured into my Bruery Tulip. Poured a nice golden wheat color with a very thick white head. Nice lacing.

Aroma is very earthy mushroom smell. You can smell the truffle for sure. Little bit of Belgian yeast.

Taste is similar to aroma. A bit salty with some earthiness and a bit of Belgian yeast and sort of Belgian pale maltiness. Tastes good.

Mouthfeel is slightly dry. Nice higher carb.

Overall a tasty brew. Would buy it again. Check it out because it is truly unique.

PeprSprYoFace, Apr 10, 2011

mobius387, Dec 23, 2012
3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a pale straw yellow with a typically huge bruery style white head.

The smell was very salty and earthy with a cured meat quality to it.

The flavor was nicely balanced between some light slightly sweet wheat notes, a bit of citrus and the earthy salt.

The mouthfeel is light with high carbonation making it a bit prickly.

A pretty decent Gose, nice and refreshing.

bashiba, May 24, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +14.7%

Appearance: Cloudy straw-yellow color with a thick foamy white head that slowly faded.

Smell: Earthy truffle salt aromas come through with some spice from the coriander.

Taste:The truffle salt and spice from the coriander come through in the taste. There is a slight tartness which ends in a fairly dry finish.

Mouth-feel: Fairly light body with a lively carbonation.

Overall: First and only Gose I've had so I will try to review this one again after trying some other examples. The good thing is I liked this beer enough to pique my curiosity to try out other examples. From the style guidelines this one appears to be spot on.

IKR, May 28, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +18.5%

Shared this one with mikesgroove during Hobo Tasting #9! Served from bottle into a Bell's tulip. Poured a massively hazy straw yellow with a three finger white head that subsided to one finger very slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, banana, subtle spices, and slight salt. The flavor was of sweet malt, banana, spices, and slight salt. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Ovearll this was a pretty tasty brew. Very nice and light character to this one that made it really easy to consume and quite enjoyable. The good flavor and aroma helped with this as well. Really glad I decided to share this one!

thagr81us, Jun 10, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I disclose up front that I know nothing about this style of beer. I can review only on my tasting experience. I.e., what I saw, smelled and tasted. And, like most, if not all, of the Bruery productions, it was well worth the taste.

Poured a light hazy yellow gold with what appeared to be a quick fading white head. (Bottle had been opened, how much earlier than my taste I don't know so the head may be more appurtenant upon opening).

Nose was inviting green herb character of celery, green pepper, white pepper and green spices. There was almost a "fresh grassy/salt" tone with underlying perfumy green tones and a further underlying light earthy charachter. A lightly bitter orange character also was present. A complex nose that was both appealing and inviting.

Mouthfeel was very crisp and fresh. It was also a bit unique for me and had a borderline lactic feel to it. Nothing as pronounced as Hottenroth but an underlying lactic feel. I wanted to keep drinking it.

Flavors were assertive and well followed the nose - celery, light salt, green pepper, white pepper and some green spice; a fresh herbaceious character and a light earthy undertone, perhaps due to the addition of the truffle salt. Orange/tangerine citric undertone.

Overall character and "feel" was "bright," which is the most important aspect of any beer, wine or food, at least for me. By my definition, bright is good. This beer is very bright, appealing and inviting.

Finish is also fresh and clean with a carryover from the flavors. A green grassy fresh dryness was my impression.

I look forward to the bottle release and trying this one with a few different food profiles. I believe that it will be a wonderful food beer. Just my first impression and two cents.

GRG1313, Mar 06, 2011

Bottle: Poured a lightly hazy pale yellow color ale with a huge white foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma is quite unique with great notes of bready yeast with a dry malt base and some light subtle salty notes with great floral undertones. Taste is also a unique and interesting mix between some light salty notes with floral undertones and a quite dry malt base with some bready yeasty notes. Body is quite full with super great carbonation that fits the style and no apparent alcohol. I wasn’t sure I was going to like this based on the description but ended tasting a very nice and unique beer.

Phyl21ca, Nov 22, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +25%

BeerFMAndy, Oct 27, 2013

jlb502, Dec 20, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +20%

Huge thanks to pitasoup for the want and for the opportunity to try a brand new style! Thanks Peter!

Pours a cloudy, sunny yellow. Head was fairly bright white, with grand retention and lace. Aroma didn't produce a whole lot. Mostly there was some dry citrus notes, slight breadiness, and a sort of earthyness. The taste proved to be much more complex. Citrusy hops were definitely used here as they are easily present. There's a saltyness, and a spiciness to it, lightly bready like crackers. It's unique, and strangely enjoyable. The feel is very crisp, almost effervescent and slightly stingy on the carbonation end. But it works so to speak. The finish is quite dry and salty...which I like. Overall, I'm enjoying this. I don't have any other experience with Gose, but I'm definitely amped to start added some!

EgadBananas, Jun 12, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

Reviewed from paper notes .. Picked this up from mroberts1204... shared with the Boise folks a while back.

Long lasting white head.. nice lacing.. the brew is a hazed golden....

Nose is odd but inviting... earthy... pale maltiness... something that I identify as lemony...

Flavor is mainly just pale malts with the above earthy notes that presumably come from the truffle salt...some mild lemon zest character .. light salt bit and some minor spiciness... cool, a bit odd and glad I shared it.

Light body with a light carbonation... could use more bubbles.

The overall brew seems like too much of a novelty to really appreciate.

Thanks Matt for the super trade.

4/3.5/3.5/3/3

JohnGalt1, Feb 20, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +35.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap as part of a flight at the Bruery Provisions Shop. The girlfriend and I enjoyed many of these during our visit.

A - Clear, light straw with a fluffy white head that recedes to a nice haze.
S - Earthy aromas of wheat, "minerally" rock salt, and an unmistakable truffle smell. Wonderfully unique and amazing.
T - Very similar to the nose, earthy and "minerally", with a definite truffle twist. The coriander pops out nicely as well, lots of that slightly spicy, peppery character. I'm really loving this.
M - Slick, with a medium-thin body and crisp carbonation.
O - Incredibly unique and enjoyable, the Bruery took one of my favorite oddball beer styles and elevated to to an unheard-of level on enjoyment. Well done!

jsanford, Apr 26, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

Big thanks to Number45forever for gifting this one! Poured from 750 to pokal glass:

One of the paler bodied beers I've ever seen with a huge, swelling, sticky latte-like white froth. Tons of steady beading.

Very earthy, a touch of bitter spice, a bit acidic, some vinegar character as well, I'm intrigued...

Nice mineral profile, more earthiness, some cider tart notes, like nothing I've tasted before. That vinegar quality is tied to the saltiness. I love beers that really challenge my palate and this one has it damn near stumped.

Nicely done.

yamar68, Aug 31, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

london1o1, Jun 24, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +28.8%

shared with calton after work in hobo tasting number 9, my new favorite style for sure!

the pour was a very hazy yellow color with a bug head of white that reached enormous foamy depths before calming down a touch. really nice look to it.

then came the classic gose. nice rich banana and cloves, hints of light citrus and a nice salty finish that begged you to try some more. really just well done. light body was creamy with a great finish and a really solid presentation.

overall i was very impressed with this one, i am really looking for this more and more on shelves, really impressed.

mikesgroove, May 27, 2011