Provisions Series: Salt Of The Earth - The Bruery

The Bruery visit their website

Gose |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: t0rin0 on 02-26-2011

1.32/5  rDev -61.8%

This bottle was opened at a recent tasting sampled side by side with the Upright Gose. This was my first time with the style and was excited to finally try some examples. I'm also happy we had one excellent example (Upright) and then as a counterpoint; this beer.

It pours a very hazy cloudy straw yellow. Fluffy white head with medium retention.

The nose is so salty it's like a brine, or even a dry ocean air. I was prepared for a salty beer but I was not prepared for the accompanying levels of sweaty feet. I like a good funk but this was at near rancid levels and had no redeeming qualities.

While I thought the nose was pretty bad, it did not make me gag like the taste did. Once again the closest comparison I can make is sweaty feet, like wringing out a marathon runners sock into a glass. The salt is way overdone in a 'drinking sea water' type way and whatever 'souring' bugs they used were not kind of the beer. If a sour mash was used in this beer, it didn't turn out good. It's reminiscent of a when I'm lazy and don't clean out my mash tun for 2 days.

The salt drys out the mouth and gives a parched mouthfeel. I can't even describe the rest of the mouthfeel mostly because I wanted it out of my mouth as quick as possible.

I'm so glad we had another tasty Gose to try side by side, otherwise I'd have sworn off the style as a cruel joke. This is just a swing and a miss for the Bruery.

1.7/5  rDev -50.9%

I held off on reviewing this beer because its evident I don't like Goses. It was broken out at a tasting. Since I'm still haunted by this beer, I think a review is in order.

Pours a frightening wine like yellow with ominous chemistry lab fizzing. Uh oh. Smells salty. Very salty. Uh oh x2. I'm actually gonna drink this stuff? Just like ocean water. Salty, organic, get it out of my mouth please!

Everything else from the Bruery I've loved and been grateful for the chance to try. You gotta hand it to em though. The hallmark of a great brewery is that their bad beers are not meek disappointments but rather daring fiascos. By that measure the Bruery is great. For all I know this is action an exemplary Gose. Do me a favor, have some other Goses and get back to me. I'll take your word for it.

2.01/5  rDev -41.9%

Par of the epic tasting at jackie o's with brad and crew

A-hazy yellow, almost pee yellonice try, but nl thanksw with a whithard to describe other than really uniquee lacy head
S-very unique and hard to describe. A little bit of salt, which I have never had before
T-little bit tart, lot of bit nasty
m-it feels like ants in my pants
O-nice try but no thanks

2.29/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle shared by BeerFMAndy.

Cloudy orange gold hue. solid finger of white head. The aroma is a warning not to drink it. Salt water soaked vegetables with a hint of citrus and dirt. Flavor is so overly salty. Like a mouthful of salt water while swimming. Mild citrus and green leaves. Fairly light body with solid carbonation. I appreciate the craftsmanship. Not for me though.

2.32/5  rDev -32.9%

Pours clear yellow with a big white head. Smell is truffles. Taste is truffles, some salt, a little sourness. Mouthfeel is slimy and fizzy at once. This is one terrible beer -- or, rather, I can't tell what this beer is like, because of the damn truffle salt. Fail.

2.36/5  rDev -31.8%

I had such high hopes, and they were dashed upon the rocks by this Bruery beer.

Pops with gusto, pours a hazy yellow, pale and golden with a creamy head. Smells earthy, citrus, and corny. Taste is mostly grain and coriander, with a salty aftertaste.

Goses are a style I love. The herbs, the salt, the sour, it molds into a great flavor that can be drunk all day. This brew, did none of that and just left a sad taste of fail in my mouth. It was inoffensive, but that's about the best thing I can say.

2.54/5  rDev -26.6%

Pours a light yellow. Big white frothy bottles.

Smells like musty earth with a bit of peppery spiciness and ... egads ... the salt. The salt aroma/flavor of this beer is unique. And not for me

Tastes earthy, with kind of a moldy lightly peppery aftertaste that might be pleasant, were it not for the salt. Kind of like a bracing brackish seawater overtone that doesn't do it for me.

Mouthfeel is light and fluffy. Not a bad base, but I can't take the salt.

2.6/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A Gose? I'd like one please. On to the beer:

Small carbonation bubbles race through the light yellow color of the beer. Lots of creamy lacing sticks from the large, well retaining head. The nose; soft, but too intense with the salt. Very little else crawls out to greet the nose.

Easy there tiger, that's a lot of salt I'm tasting. More specifically, seasoning salt. Like most spcies/seasonings, that's fine in small quantites, but nobody is asking for a spoonful of cinnamon to put directly into their mouth. To be fair, the taste becomes less salt dominant as more beer is consumed. A light tartness attempts to balance the salt, but never does. At least it's light enough that I can consume it without forcing myself.

Salt Of The Earth might be better for cooking french fries or seasoning a steak than for drinking. With so many better Bruery offering easily available, SOTE is one and out.

2.64/5  rDev -23.7%

From notes. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip. Thanks to Dunt for bringing this over and then leaving it in my fridge for a few weeks. No seriously, that was great.

The beer pours a faded golden straw color, mostly transparent with a little bit of haze. A white cap froths up with the initial pour before slowly fading.

Salt of the Earth definitely has a strange nose. There is a light dry malt character that reminds me of a saison, a strong burst of lemon zest, some saltiness, and some vegetal and skunky notes that are not that pleasant.

The flavor starts with a light, dry, crackery malt with a little bit of pepper. A strong lemon tartness is full and strong without being piercing. Some other light fruits are noticeable as well. Toward the end of the sip it definitely turns salty. The salt proves to dry the mouth out further and leave my mouth with milder version of what dying of thirst must be like. There is a mushroom and vegetal flavor that covers the entire sip. The carbonation is slightly crisp, and the beer has a smooth, light body. It is very dry, a sensation that is only accentuated by the saltiness.

Overall this was rough enough that I did not want to finish my glass.

2.71/5  rDev -21.7%

Bottle courtesy of bmanning. Served in a tulip.

Pours a cloudy straw color with an average white head that lasts for quite a bit. Just a bit of lacing on the way down. The nose brings forward straw and wheat along with way too much coriander. A little bit of bread there. Almost a sage character there as well. The flavor has a lot of coriander and herbal characteristics plus a fairly-harsh saltiness. Too much of the truffle salt. Body is light and fizzy with a bitter and dry finish. Very odd and not one of the better gose beers I've come across.

2.76/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The first mystery bottle at Jon's first annual Secret Beer Tasting! Format: beer is decanted by impartial host in another room, we try to guess style, ABV, brewery, beer name, year, & BA rating. We had no advance knowledge of bottles, breweries represented, styles, etc.

Light orange in color, decent white head, solid retention. Mildly tart aroma holds some yeast and funk. Now that I know the style, this has some serious 'splaining to do.

Taste is subtle and noticeably lacking of salt. Mostly a bland, boring wheat base, ending with a distinct yeasty bitterness at the end. Very light and mild overall; zero booze presence. Highly drinkable, though it definitely misses on the style.

When trying to categorize this one, I struggled between Saison & Berliner, eventually settling on Saison because 1) I couldn't detect any lactic acid, and 2) bitter yeast at the end means it's probably a very mild saison. Turns out it was a poorly-crafted gose that missed the style marks. And somehow, Cosmic "13.5% wheatwine" Evan ended up winning this entire competition despite his initial guess being about the furthest off it could possibly be. Good times!

2.78/5  rDev -19.7%

Pulled out of the fridge, a bottle I got from forgetfu. Thanks Bill!

It pours a straw yellow/gold with a pretty big head of foam that settles down to about 1 finger with some nice lacing.

It has a strong aroma of coriander and has some notes of yeast and spice.

Lightly tart starting off, the coriander does well as does a nice yeastiness and then...the salt moves in and dominates completely. Sorry, The Bruery, I think this was an unneeded addition to, what I reckon could have been an excellent Gose. The tart factor *does* intensify somewhat during the session but not enough to counter the nastiness of the salt.

Medium body with lightish carbonation...no problem with the mouthfeel. The taste of the salt ruins it for me and so, the drinkability is very low.

2.88/5  rDev -16.8%

Ok cam thanks again

A - light yellow and clear body and a big white head

S - vegetal and salty. Light and mild

T - kinda dirty. This is just weird. Some spice and vanilla

M - light as hell and thin

O - I am not too fond of this beer. It's pretty weird and kinda gross

2.88/5  rDev -16.8%

750mL bottle poured into taster - thanks to gcphilli

Pours a super pale straw color with a fizzy white head bubbling up and quickly fading out. Dissolves into a few spots of lacing on the glass.

Oddly funky and vegetal scents in the nose, punctuated by coriander, salt, straw and tartness. A strange combination of scents.

Salty and tart up front with notes of spice and coriander. Faint pear sweetness and soft straw malts. Funky, tart and salty throughout, finishing dry.

Lighter body, higher carbonation, crispy and lingering on the tongue. It might be because I just had the Tired Hands gose last week, but this was a little strange and difficult to drink.

2.95/5  rDev -14.7%

Thanks to Scalene for this one. By way of light whale BIF 2. Poured from a 750ml capped bottle into a Harpoon Weizen glass.

A: Standard pour yields a huge, 7 finger frothy white head with annoyingly good retention. I want to get to my beer damnit! Color is a cloudy, pale yellow. Lacing is stringy with robust with good cling. Pretty standard but the head is a bit overwhelming.

S: Nose is very distinct. Lemon rind, a sharp spiciness, and a subtle, but unmistakable new rubber smell. Weird. Not bad or off-turning, but very weird.

T: Opens with a new rubber taste. Like I've been chewing on a rubber duck. Lemon rind, some miscellaneous spiciness that I can't put my finger on. Tartness towards the end with a mild yeasty bitter presence. Finish is more rubberiness with an aftertaste of wet wood chips dipped in rubber. Awkward.

M: Light bodied and well carbonated. Spicy and abrasive in the mouth but somehow very dead. Goes down with some bubbles with a sticky, messy aftertaste that lingers. Very dull.

O: In and of itself, the gose style is, in my opinion, already a twisted, inferior version of the hefeweizen. Salt of the Earth doesn't do anything to change my mind and the feel it gives is particularly dull and boring. Not many goses around so this is worth a try, but its pedestrian at best.

3.09/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Cracked open a bottle of this at JoeySchlitz's place last week. Poured hazy yellow with white head. Wow - they aren't kidding that this is brewed with truffle salt. Smell is just dominated by truffles. I love truffles, but this is a little overpowering on the nose for my taste. The taste, on the other hand, is well-balanced and the truffles are nicely integrated. Light, refreshing, truffles, light citrus, and a hint of salt. Would go well with a burger. Overall, a very interesting beer, but not one I will rush to try again.

3.14/5  rDev -9.2%

750ml bottle into an Unibroue tulip. Thanks to Dan for sharing.

A: Cloudy yellow body with two fingers of fine, creamy white foam. Nice retention and lacing. Very attractive.

S: Spicy, salty, and herbal. Some wheat is noticeable when I inhale really hard, but is largely drowned in the rather musty, seeweedy saltiness. It's weird and off-putting, yes, but just interesting enough to keep me from pouring it out.

T: Very salty throughout, with the coriander giving some spice and the wheat malt coming through with some tangy sweetness on the finish. It's not as gross as the aroma, but it's not any better than average, that's for sure. The flavors are intense, but out of sync.

M: Light body, moderate carbonation. Ok.

O: This was my first Gose (style #94 - just 10 to go!), and I can't say I enjoyed it; luckily the generous host of the tasting, JAHMUR, provided a bottle of Leipziger as a follow-up to the Bruery's experiment. Let's just say that, in this case, tradition trumps innovation.

3.15/5  rDev -9%

Shared with SundaySour on the provisions flight #2

Poured into Bruery Taster glasses.

A: Very strong white wine appearance. An off wheat color with a noticeable clarity. bubbles swirled in the middle of the glass. Little frothed head, no lacing.

S: Very light breads and belgian yeast, a really soft nose. Some funky light champagne notes in there that made me sniff and re-sniff. Just so light.

T: Very smooth and crisp, memorable lightness of flavor. Belgian yeast with a white wine profile that lingers into ginger and pickled green pears. The lightest saltiness that is a far-cry from the sea water I was expecting. The theme of lightness continues.

M: Light mouth, the wine theme continues. It maintains a smoothness with no invasion of alcohol at all. Very much of a satin glove on the tongue.

O: A very light savory offering that is solid on many points, but great on none. There's nothing mind-blowing coming out of this, but drinking it alone makes it feel incomplete. This would be a great beer pairing for fine cuisines: French and Italian foods would do well here.

3.18/5  rDev -8.1%

So ... Not sure how to review this...

pours a hazy light yellow with tons and tons of head. Looks very odd.
Smells odd.... Salty and a touch malty.
Tastes salty, herbal a bit... Kind of a strange combintion of flavours. Can't detect any coriander at all.
Mouthfeel is well carbonted and overall very odd. I am very much not sure how i feel about this.

ADDED salt on the rim of the glass and a lime. Much better!

3.18/5  rDev -8.1%

A - pours a cloudy, hazy straw yellow

S - smells of tons of funk, strong cheese aroma (fontina) and wild mushrooms

T - sweet fruits - apples/pears. A strong barnyard funk and cheese slice through the fruits. It was almost unpleasantly funky and salty...weird. finished fruity & funky.

M - full and smooth

D - Interesting beer and style, however the funk seemed off to me. Not my favorite beer from the provisions series, but everything is worth trying once.

3.2/5  rDev -7.5%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

Big thanks to Hophead101 for this bottle!

Truffle salt, eh? Let's see how this goes: It pours a cloudy pale-ish straw topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises lemon zest, light dank greens, fresh corn, salt water, and sweetgrass. It's an unusual smell, but not an altogether unpleasant one. The taste holds notes of strong salt, murky earth, light coriander, light lemon peel, grass, and light greens. Things are just too earthy, too truffle-influenced, to be truly enjoyable to me. Not much tartness to be found, either. The body is a hefty light, with a moderate carbonation and a rather dry finish. Overall, an interesting little experience, but I just can't see drinking this one ever again.

3.22/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bottle shared by Michael, yourefragile. Thanks for sharing some more beer man. First Gose I've had, and maybe the last haha.

A: Straw to light orange color with a nice thick head and lacing, very nice look.

S: The smell is a different story, very bizarre to me. Lager malts, Coriander, and some savory aromas. Saison yeast..? Plants? Conflicting spices in the aroma to me with even a hint of game meat...

T: Better taste. Has a German lager of Hefe vibe to the malt and yeast thats clean and bready with some coriander clearly coming through with a little saltiness at the back. Gamey meat still in the flavor as well, not a big fan of that.

M: Medium and ok carbonation.

Overall strange, ok and interesting to try but not for me perhaps.

3.23/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes, shared with Cavery at Provisions.

A: It's a white wine with a puffy head, or maybe like a watered down apple juice for lily-livered kids.

S: This really smells like a burp. There is a teensy smell of apples, like a gala apple. But mostly like a very fresh burp. I'm not sure I am enjoying this smell, mostly because it reminds me of getting hazed in middle school.

T: The taste is distinctly brie cheese, all melty and delicious, with some basil on top. An A+ for not tasting like it smells, ol' Bruery chums. This is full of savory and herb-y flavors; a full meal of a beer.

M: Crisp and bubbly like a fresh popped champagne.

O: The savory-ness of this beer made it so strange and funky. It was like someone took a bunch of high quality Thanksgiving foods and stuck them in a blender. Cheese, herbs, burps...another blessed holiday at The Bruery.

3.23/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a clear, almost white wine/pear juice color, with a fluffy white head. Good lacing.

Earthy white grapes on the nose. I definitely pick up some saltiness and a little bit of Belgian spice. Light malts. Slightly earthy funk.

Tastes like a Belgian pale with a good dose of salt and light earthy brett. Belgian spice (coriander). Not bad, but not really my thing.

Mouthfeel is quite dry, salty on the finish. Belgian pale body. ABV is unnoticeable.

Overall, this is an interesting beer. I'm not a huge fan of the salt. Kind of odd. I still appreciate the Bruery trying to do something different, but this one doesn't really work. Probably not worth seeking out, unless you're looking for the tick.

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

Appearance: Cloudy golden straw with a smallish head

Smell: I get some oily truffle aromas up front, very odd. I don't notice any salt

Taste: Again, the oily truffle tastes dominate, perhaps with a touch of salt. Also some black pepper and wheat. I wish they'd just used regular salt and kept it traditional and saved this once they had the traditional recipe down.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, decent carbonation

Overall: You have to be able to follow the rules before you bend or even break them, shame they didn't start with a regular gose and diversify.

Provisions Series: Salt Of The Earth from The Bruery