Provisions Series: Salt Of The Earth - The Bruery

Provisions Series: Salt Of The EarthProvisions Series: Salt Of The Earth

The Bruery visit their website

Gose |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: t0rin0 on 02-26-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
SundaySour

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes, shared with Cavery at Provisions.

A: It's a white wine with a puffy head, or maybe like a watered down apple juice for lily-livered kids.

S: This really smells like a burp. There is a teensy smell of apples, like a gala apple. But mostly like a very fresh burp. I'm not sure I am enjoying this smell, mostly because it reminds me of getting hazed in middle school.

T: The taste is distinctly brie cheese, all melty and delicious, with some basil on top. An A+ for not tasting like it smells, ol' Bruery chums. This is full of savory and herb-y flavors; a full meal of a beer.

M: Crisp and bubbly like a fresh popped champagne.

O: The savory-ness of this beer made it so strange and funky. It was like someone took a bunch of high quality Thanksgiving foods and stuck them in a blender. Cheese, herbs, burps...another blessed holiday at The Bruery.

06-30-2011 04:52:29 | More by SundaySour
Cavery

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

Shared with SundaySour on the provisions flight #2

Poured into Bruery Taster glasses.

A: Very strong white wine appearance. An off wheat color with a noticeable clarity. bubbles swirled in the middle of the glass. Little frothed head, no lacing.

S: Very light breads and belgian yeast, a really soft nose. Some funky light champagne notes in there that made me sniff and re-sniff. Just so light.

T: Very smooth and crisp, memorable lightness of flavor. Belgian yeast with a white wine profile that lingers into ginger and pickled green pears. The lightest saltiness that is a far-cry from the sea water I was expecting. The theme of lightness continues.

M: Light mouth, the wine theme continues. It maintains a smoothness with no invasion of alcohol at all. Very much of a satin glove on the tongue.

O: A very light savory offering that is solid on many points, but great on none. There's nothing mind-blowing coming out of this, but drinking it alone makes it feel incomplete. This would be a great beer pairing for fine cuisines: French and Italian foods would do well here.

06-30-2011 04:48:26 | More by Cavery
DavoleBomb

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured into a weizen glass. This is my first gose so I don't really know what to expect.

Big pop when I opened the bottle. First pour yielded a half a foot of head with a half inch of beer.

3.5 A: Eventually I got enough beer. Lightly hazed dark yellow color. Four fingers of foamy white head with pretty good retention and some spotty lacing.

4.0 S: Never really smelled anything like this. It's quite strange to me, but I like it. Wheatiness is apparent and the yeast gives off strong banana and a mild clove. Mild to moderate coriander as well. The strangly "sharp" earthiness is likely attributed to the truffle salt. Lemon and grassy hops.

3.5 T: Definitely tasting the salt in this. It's a good bit stronger than I might have guessed, but not distractingly so. Wheat, banana, clove, herbal and grassy hoppiness, and tart lemon. Truffle salt is quite interesting.

3.5 M: Light body. Despite the multitude of pours, the carbonation is spot on. Bready chewiness.

3.0 D: I'm wasn't sure how to rate this, so this is my baseline gose. Not bad to start out with, but this is horribly undrinkable. The saltiness and general mineral vibe gets old pretty fast. Finishing this 750 is going to be hard. Edit: Yes, it is hard to finish this. I'm doing my best to avoid my first drainpour.

06-26-2011 23:06:44 | More by DavoleBomb
GradyS1

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

This beer poured almost like a fizzy yellow beer to me, not sur if it was because i got the top of the bottle but, it was almost clear with a two finger head, i would not consider this hazy. Maybe it is because I cook a lot but, I really enjoyed the smell, i could clearly smell the truffle, it smelt like truffle oil was added to this beer. I get notes of colander and actually a bit of salt in this. Taste is like a larger with some truffle oil (natural truffle smelling) and salt added to it, that's the best I can describe it. Not much tartness, if any at all to this, especially compared to the Upright Gose. Malts in the finish. Truffle salt is defiantly present which i don't mind add all adds a different twist. Medium bodied through the finish. This would not be my top pick but still a decent twist on a light, refreshing summer beer

06-19-2011 02:18:48 | More by GradyS1
EgadBananas

Louisiana

4.08/5  rDev +20%

Huge thanks to pitasoup for the want and for the opportunity to try a brand new style! Thanks Peter!

Pours a cloudy, sunny yellow. Head was fairly bright white, with grand retention and lace. Aroma didn't produce a whole lot. Mostly there was some dry citrus notes, slight breadiness, and a sort of earthyness. The taste proved to be much more complex. Citrusy hops were definitely used here as they are easily present. There's a saltyness, and a spiciness to it, lightly bready like crackers. It's unique, and strangely enjoyable. The feel is very crisp, almost effervescent and slightly stingy on the carbonation end. But it works so to speak. The finish is quite dry and salty...which I like. Overall, I'm enjoying this. I don't have any other experience with Gose, but I'm definitely amped to start added some!

06-12-2011 02:45:26 | More by EgadBananas
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.03/5  rDev +18.5%

Shared this one with mikesgroove during Hobo Tasting #9! Served from bottle into a Bell's tulip. Poured a massively hazy straw yellow with a three finger white head that subsided to one finger very slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, banana, subtle spices, and slight salt. The flavor was of sweet malt, banana, spices, and slight salt. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Ovearll this was a pretty tasty brew. Very nice and light character to this one that made it really easy to consume and quite enjoyable. The good flavor and aroma helped with this as well. Really glad I decided to share this one!

06-10-2011 13:38:34 | More by thagr81us
craytonic

District of Columbia

3.23/5  rDev -5%

Appearance: Cloudy golden straw with a smallish head

Smell: I get some oily truffle aromas up front, very odd. I don't notice any salt

Taste: Again, the oily truffle tastes dominate, perhaps with a touch of salt. Also some black pepper and wheat. I wish they'd just used regular salt and kept it traditional and saved this once they had the traditional recipe down.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, decent carbonation

Overall: You have to be able to follow the rules before you bend or even break them, shame they didn't start with a regular gose and diversify.

06-08-2011 03:55:52 | More by craytonic
waltonc

Colorado

3.13/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Cracked open a bottle of this at JoeySchlitz's place last week. Poured hazy yellow with white head. Wow - they aren't kidding that this is brewed with truffle salt. Smell is just dominated by truffles. I love truffles, but this is a little overpowering on the nose for my taste. The taste, on the other hand, is well-balanced and the truffles are nicely integrated. Light, refreshing, truffles, light citrus, and a hint of salt. Would go well with a burger. Overall, a very interesting beer, but not one I will rush to try again.

06-07-2011 18:54:53 | More by waltonc
jale

3.9/5  rDev +14.7%

Thanks to Jesse for this bottle.

A: Pours a cloudy yellow with huge white head.

S: Tart lemon and a hint of hops

T: Initial lemon followed by salt and a hint of tobacco. Has some underlying tartness. Finish is mild hops. I have had just two others in this style, and this is by far the best tasting one.

M: Light body with great carbonation.

O: Very drinkable for the style.

06-02-2011 20:43:21 | More by jale
IKR

3.9/5  rDev +14.7%

Appearance: Cloudy straw-yellow color with a thick foamy white head that slowly faded.

Smell: Earthy truffle salt aromas come through with some spice from the coriander.

Taste:The truffle salt and spice from the coriander come through in the taste. There is a slight tartness which ends in a fairly dry finish.

Mouth-feel: Fairly light body with a lively carbonation.

Overall: First and only Gose I've had so I will try to review this one again after trying some other examples. The good thing is I liked this beer enough to pique my curiosity to try out other examples. From the style guidelines this one appears to be spot on.

05-28-2011 20:59:35 | More by IKR
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.38/5  rDev +28.8%

shared with calton after work in hobo tasting number 9, my new favorite style for sure!

the pour was a very hazy yellow color with a bug head of white that reached enormous foamy depths before calming down a touch. really nice look to it.

then came the classic gose. nice rich banana and cloves, hints of light citrus and a nice salty finish that begged you to try some more. really just well done. light body was creamy with a great finish and a really solid presentation.

overall i was very impressed with this one, i am really looking for this more and more on shelves, really impressed.

05-27-2011 01:09:06 | More by mikesgroove
HuskyinPDX

Washington

3.93/5  rDev +15.6%

25.4oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A - Light orange with a explosive 4-finger white head.

S - Little smell - spice and some citrus tones.

T - Wheat, but mild. Some fungus after taste.

D - very carbonated.

O - Smooth and light - very light.

05-25-2011 05:35:58 | More by HuskyinPDX
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

3.4/5  rDev 0%

Cool ass hazy yellow beer with a massive 2.5" head to it that looks as comfortable to lie on as a slightly broken in high end pillow. Aroma was constrained, mild citrus, didn't really pick anything up from it.

Taste, jeez, not so much 'salt' as mineral salt. Reminded me of those Calistoga mineral waters that was kind of the rage back in the 80s. Light lemon feel to it. A mix of hefeweizen and mineral water. Super mild amount of sour or tartness to it, very minor, nothing like in a wild ale, more like a summer beer's tartness. Some sage or rosemary like herbal presence.

Just not likely to be a beer for the beer geek masses. Not a stout, not really sour, not hoppy, not all that rare. Neat to drink something different.

05-23-2011 19:03:29 | More by Beerandraiderfan
TurdFurgison

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle generously shared by jale at a small tasting at Jackie O's (thanks Jim!). Gose is definitely not one of my favorite styles, but I was happy to get a shot at an American take on it.

It pours a pale golden color with a THICK head of foam, 4 fingers or so. Odd smelling as all goses are, salty and weird, with a tart lambicus component that added some interest for me. Less salt flavor than others I've tried, also less than expected from the aroma, but still definitively there. Slightly tart, dry, and funky.

Glad to have only a small pour, I definitely wouldn't look forward to an entire 750ml of this by myself.

05-22-2011 03:08:33 | More by TurdFurgison
Urbancaver

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

So ... Not sure how to review this...

pours a hazy light yellow with tons and tons of head. Looks very odd.
Smells odd.... Salty and a touch malty.
Tastes salty, herbal a bit... Kind of a strange combintion of flavours. Can't detect any coriander at all.
Mouthfeel is well carbonted and overall very odd. I am very much not sure how i feel about this.

ADDED salt on the rim of the glass and a lime. Much better!

05-21-2011 14:59:24 | More by Urbancaver
brew3crew

1.93/5  rDev -43.2%

Par of the epic tasting at jackie o's with brad and crew

A-hazy yellow, almost pee yellonice try, but nl thanksw with a whithard to describe other than really uniquee lacy head
S-very unique and hard to describe. A little bit of salt, which I have never had before
T-little bit tart, lot of bit nasty
m-it feels like ants in my pants
O-nice try but no thanks

05-21-2011 14:56:15 | More by brew3crew
weatherdog

1.27/5  rDev -62.6%

This bottle was opened at a recent tasting sampled side by side with the Upright Gose. This was my first time with the style and was excited to finally try some examples. I'm also happy we had one excellent example (Upright) and then as a counterpoint; this beer.

It pours a very hazy cloudy straw yellow. Fluffy white head with medium retention.

The nose is so salty it's like a brine, or even a dry ocean air. I was prepared for a salty beer but I was not prepared for the accompanying levels of sweaty feet. I like a good funk but this was at near rancid levels and had no redeeming qualities.

While I thought the nose was pretty bad, it did not make me gag like the taste did. Once again the closest comparison I can make is sweaty feet, like wringing out a marathon runners sock into a glass. The salt is way overdone in a 'drinking sea water' type way and whatever 'souring' bugs they used were not kind of the beer. If a sour mash was used in this beer, it didn't turn out good. It's reminiscent of a when I'm lazy and don't clean out my mash tun for 2 days.

The salt drys out the mouth and gives a parched mouthfeel. I can't even describe the rest of the mouthfeel mostly because I wanted it out of my mouth as quick as possible.

I'm so glad we had another tasty Gose to try side by side, otherwise I'd have sworn off the style as a cruel joke. This is just a swing and a miss for the Bruery.

05-18-2011 16:48:30 | More by weatherdog
SpeedwayJim

2.95/5  rDev -13.2%

Thanks to Scalene for this one. By way of light whale BIF 2. Poured from a 750ml capped bottle into a Harpoon Weizen glass.

A: Standard pour yields a huge, 7 finger frothy white head with annoyingly good retention. I want to get to my beer damnit! Color is a cloudy, pale yellow. Lacing is stringy with robust with good cling. Pretty standard but the head is a bit overwhelming.

S: Nose is very distinct. Lemon rind, a sharp spiciness, and a subtle, but unmistakable new rubber smell. Weird. Not bad or off-turning, but very weird.

T: Opens with a new rubber taste. Like I've been chewing on a rubber duck. Lemon rind, some miscellaneous spiciness that I can't put my finger on. Tartness towards the end with a mild yeasty bitter presence. Finish is more rubberiness with an aftertaste of wet wood chips dipped in rubber. Awkward.

M: Light bodied and well carbonated. Spicy and abrasive in the mouth but somehow very dead. Goes down with some bubbles with a sticky, messy aftertaste that lingers. Very dull.

O: In and of itself, the gose style is, in my opinion, already a twisted, inferior version of the hefeweizen. Salt of the Earth doesn't do anything to change my mind and the feel it gives is particularly dull and boring. Not many goses around so this is worth a try, but its pedestrian at best.

05-16-2011 18:59:42 | More by SpeedwayJim
Thorpe429

2.68/5  rDev -21.2%

Bottle courtesy of bmanning. Served in a tulip.

Pours a cloudy straw color with an average white head that lasts for quite a bit. Just a bit of lacing on the way down. The nose brings forward straw and wheat along with way too much coriander. A little bit of bread there. Almost a sage character there as well. The flavor has a lot of coriander and herbal characteristics plus a fairly-harsh saltiness. Too much of the truffle salt. Body is light and fizzy with a bitter and dry finish. Very odd and not one of the better gose beers I've come across.

05-15-2011 13:56:40 | More by Thorpe429
sisuspeed

New Hampshire

3.2/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a clear, almost white wine/pear juice color, with a fluffy white head. Good lacing.

Earthy white grapes on the nose. I definitely pick up some saltiness and a little bit of Belgian spice. Light malts. Slightly earthy funk.

Tastes like a Belgian pale with a good dose of salt and light earthy brett. Belgian spice (coriander). Not bad, but not really my thing.

Mouthfeel is quite dry, salty on the finish. Belgian pale body. ABV is unnoticeable.

Overall, this is an interesting beer. I'm not a huge fan of the salt. Kind of odd. I still appreciate the Bruery trying to do something different, but this one doesn't really work. Probably not worth seeking out, unless you're looking for the tick.

05-14-2011 15:23:02 | More by sisuspeed
gory4d

2.33/5  rDev -31.5%

Pours clear yellow with a big white head. Smell is truffles. Taste is truffles, some salt, a little sourness. Mouthfeel is slimy and fizzy at once. This is one terrible beer -- or, rather, I can't tell what this beer is like, because of the damn truffle salt. Fail.

05-07-2011 04:08:01 | More by gory4d
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured into a weizen glass just shy of clear, a deep golden straw color, with a pillowy white head piled up high. Smells of spicy wheat, lemons and orange zest, I smell some salty sourness deep underneath. Very hefe like to me. Grainy earthy spicy flavor with more of the citrus and spices that were in the nose. Pilsener malt with a sour edge and a strange bite that I can only assume comes from the salt. Spirited level of carbonation provided a stream from the bottom of the glass right down to the end. Medium body with a citrusy tart mouthfeel. Interesting beer that kind of grew on me. I'd love to try some others but this may not be the style for me.

05-03-2011 23:57:15 | More by johnnnniee
Gobzilla

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

A: poured straw pale yellow in color with yellow highlights and had a half finger of head leaving plenty of lacing sticking to the glass.

S: lots of citrus in the aroma upfront like orange zest along with a variety of spices like coriander but did get applesauce notes and a slight hint of brett.

T: the taste confirmed that it had a little funky brett character with citrus zest, spice, corinader, applesauce notes and a touch of grain undertones.

M: the brew was light to medium in body with a moderate amount of carbonation which had a citrusy, spice, grainy, bretty funky and prickly finish.

D: it was definitely drinking quite well but to be honest it just wasn't my cup of tea though I was glad to taste yet another gose style brew.

05-02-2011 06:49:19 | More by Gobzilla
Trilogy31

4.4/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy golden wheat with a big three fingers of head that recedes slowly. Nose is an impressive mix of clove, banana, rhum agricole, fresh baked salted pretzel, with an earthy black truffle and pork belly coming out after about 10 minutes - really interesting stuff. The taste is full of clove, coriander some white pepper, bright lemony citrus, barrel aged rum, somewhat grassy and herbal with a salty note at the end. Creamy and complex in the mouth with enough acidity and carbonation to stay balanced. Maybe i just really have found i love this style of beer, but i found it to be great and truly complex and unique.

05-01-2011 04:16:05 | More by Trilogy31
AlCaponeJunior

4.15/5  rDev +22.1%

Light tan and hazy with a decent head and chunks of great lacing.

Smell is very hard to peg but also hard to stop sniffing the glass. Citrus rinds and dry lemons come to mind.

Taste is strangely dry and a bit woody, along with a touch of funk, citrus peel and plenty of spices. You can somewhat taste the saltiness that comes with the brew, it adds a nice touch but isn't at all overdone.

Excellent smooth and rich mouthfeel, with silky carbonation and a lightly lemon aftertaste.

Overall this one is quite good. Can't wait to try the rest of my offerings from the bruery received in a great trade with pitasoup.

04-27-2011 22:07:04 | More by AlCaponeJunior