Mischief Gone Wild - The Bruery

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: t0rin0 on 03-23-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.61/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- cloudy yellow
S- just like regular mischief with a little less hop aroma
T-lemony, Belgian yeast notes, like regular mischief?
m-light body, crisp carbonation

Overall i was very disappointed with this one. Smell was pretty much spot on for regular mischief. Taste was very close to regular mischief but seemed a tad bit less hoppy. Where is the wild? I was expecting some brett... (386 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

Shared this one with the Columbia crew on the bus this weekend! Served from bottle into a Brewvival sampler imperial pint. Poured golden yellow with a three finger pure white head that subsided to half a finger very slowly. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, fruit, banana, and slight funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, banana, and funk on the followthrough. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The Brett really wasn't too pronounced in this one as I would have hoped. However, I could see this getting better with time. As said by another reviewer, I like this one better than Mischief as the funk aspect really ties everything together. Glad I got to share this with an awesome group of people during an awesome trip to Charleston! (853 characters)

Another bottle generously shared by jale at a small tasting at Jackie O's (thanks Jim!). I love the standard Mischief, very interested to try the wild version.

This poured a clear deep golden color, 3 fingers of foam. Only the lightest hints of bret in the aroma, really this doesn't smell all that different from the base beer. Some light funk comes through in taste though, along with the esters and sweetness that defines the standard version.

Excellent beer, I might prefer a little more funky character but still very good. (531 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a nice clear yellow, a bit of nice white head.
Smells floral sweet and funky. Very nice on the nose.
Tastes very sweet and flowery. Lots of blegian yeasty flavours. Very nice profile. Nicely carbonted. Overall a tasty brew. Nothing to amazing but solid (258 characters)

Par of the epic tasting at jackie o's with brad and crew

A-very hazy yellow, almost pee yellow with a lacy head
S-very faint sweet, tart smell
T-alot li,e it smells. Nice lemony yeast taste
m-light bodied and very smooth
O-decent brew and glad I got to try it (260 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Many thanks to Dyan for the opportunity to try this beer. I'm a big fan of the regular mischief, and so could not wait to try this.

The beer pours a striking dark gold color with long lasting, extremely active head and good retention and lacing. The nose is attractive, but is not as complex as I was hoping for. Still, I get some nice honey, vanilla, light ginger and underlying spice. The flavor profile replicates the nose in this enjoyable beer, though I get a hint of light sour as well. The beer is no more than moderately sweet, with some hoppy bitterness to counter and dry out the sweetness. Mouthfeel is on the lean side, though there's plenty of flavor in this easy to appreciate beer. Alcohol is very well disguised... I would have guessed something in the 5% or 6% range, rather than the 8.5% listed on the label.

A nice beer, but really not all that different from the regular mischief. Also, the differences don't seem to really enhance the flavor profile, and I get at most some minimal sour funk from any brett that may have infected this beer. Was glad to be able to try it (this is an enjoyable beer), but can't see any reason to seek this one out. (1,169 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +11.4%

750 ml bottle.

A: Pours a hazy yellowish orange with a huge rocky white head which leaves a meringue-like lacing.

S: Horse blanket funky (how could anyone not like this?) yeast, herbal and floral, spicy, with mild citrus notes.

T: Slightly sour, biscuity yeast, lemon, and pepper.

M: Dry, tangy, slightly sour funk.

O: Really like this. The brett really shines through. Excited to see how this one cellars. (411 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a slighlty hazy orange hue wih a huge white head. Nice lacing once the head settled down though it did take some time.

Aroma is an an earthy yeastiness, with some floral and fruity notes. Smells like a straight forward Belgian.

Flavor is a a nice mix of yeast and fruity sweetness with a nice hop bitterness and the addition of a tart funk. Tartness is more like lemon to me. Seemed a little much to me.

Mouthfeel feels lively, a tad too much carbonation for my liking. All in all it wasn't bad, but it didn't stick out as an amazing experience to me. (561 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

750mL bottle on 4/23/11

A- A dark golden, orange-y, hazy with a 3 finger head that was thick and pillow-y. like thick clouds that had great lacing.

S- A little hoppy, belgian yeast, floral. Dry and zesty.

T- Dry, sharp, floral hops, a little light on the body. the finish is a little light and short. A little tart and funk, hops come through more as it warms. Pleasant, but would prefer Lucerniega or ES Bam.

M- Sharp and lively. A little to short on the finish.

Overall- Good, not great. I do enjoy the beer, I wouldn't seek it out again. It falls a little short of my expectations. It would be better with fod, ha! (622 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle split with my fiancé. Poured into Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a hazy/mirky dark golden color, monstrous head that takes over as you pour. Lots of sticky lacing from the huge head and the cap remains long after the initial pour.

S - Brett funk, sweet malts, light floral hoppy note. Mostly though, just straight up sweet malt and funk.

T - Brett funk, fruity sweetness, floral notes, with a nice bitter finish.

M - Light, too much carbonation, clean finish.

D - An enjoyable funky golden ale but not a wild (as listed). It's light and enjoyable for the style and I'm interested to see how the funk changes over time. (635 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -17%

750 ml bottle - courtesy of smarcoly - split between the girlfriend and I, served into two snifter glasses.

A: Even the gentlest of pours, as to not rouse the yeast bed at the bottom, produces an absolutely enormous and obnoxious billowy white, foamy head. The body is a cloudy golden honey with a constant stream of carbonation bubbles. Subsequent pours produce the same results - a bit annoying.

S: Brett funky notes are immediately evident up-front. Some ripe banana and white pepper come through and finishes with a certain barnyard hay-like quality. Not too bad, but nothing special here.

T: Carbonation is a major set back here - it's WAY too carbonated. Funky dry notes coat and soak up any moisture on the palate. This odd, soured twist on a relatively grain-centric profile is different. Initial grassy hops recede throughout the beer, losing a much needed dimension to flavor profile. A slight burn of alcohol heat is present after swallow in the chest, something worth mentioning.

Overall, this is a very weak profile and one that should definitely NOT be considered an American Wild Ale. This is basically a Belgian Pale Ale with funk, gone wrong. It's strange, odd and off. This definitely is not an A worthy beer, but to each his own. I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it out! Good to try once and never again. (1,332 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +12.2%

Really don't know why this is getting only a C+ at the moment. This beer is pretty tasty.

Poured into my Bruery Snifter. Pours a nice golden color with a head that formed a little too easy. Seems over carbed. It really foamed up but it settled down to a nice size head. Nice lacing.

Aroma is funky bret for sure. Nice hop aroma too. Little bit of Belgian maltiness. Smells great.

Taste is great. It's got a little bit of Bret funk but not as much as some other bret beers. It's nice and hoppy like regular Mischief and a nice maltiness. I like this version better than regular Mischief.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry. Not too carbed in the mouth as it looked coming out of the bottle.

Overall it's a great beer that deserves alot better than a C+. C+ on BA means a beer I don't even want to look at on the shelf. This beer is at least a B+ overall but for me it's pretty damn good. (882 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -13.2%

I popped this last night, one of four bottles from my RS allocation, though they are also on the shelves at the Provisions store, not sure on distribution or bottle count though, anyhow, on to the review.

A: Golden yellow, light oak amber hue, clear. Generous 3 inch head! Took a while to settle too, leaving tons of lace.

S: Mild Herbal hops, very light funk (much less than I was expecting) slight sweet malt in the background.

T: Pretty much the same as nose, light citrus hop notes, a bit of a light bread or wheat note in the middle, mild hints of sweet malt in the middle. Funky notes are very mild to me, a bit disapointing to be honest from what I was expecting.

M: Meduim body and mouthfeel, but high carbonation, like champagne.

O: Not that much of a difference from the regular Mischief to me, and I'm a bit underwhelmed frankly. Good, but not great. (I love so much from the Bruery, so my expectations are generally pretty high for them) Maybe the wild ale funk will get much stronger with some time, but it says to drink fresh on the bottle, so probably not. I'm starting to get a better palate for wild ales, or beers with that funky flavor profile, and for me, I can honestly say it is not funky enough for me, though as was pointed out to me, it was only innoculated, not 100% fermented with Brett (also no lacto or pedio) (1,348 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -13.2%

Appearance: Golden yellow color. Thick white head that occurred even with a careful pour. The head was persistent. Way to go.

Smell: Light Belgian funk. Slight bready aroma with some faint grapefruit aromas (hops perhaps). Smells like the standard Mischief.

Taste: Citrus fruits with the hops coming through fairly strong. I can't get any taste influence via the Brett addition. I'm sensitive to hops so I'm wondering if the hop presence is muting any Brett presence for me.

Mouth-feel: Medium body with a spritz-y carbonation.

Overall: Call this a Belgian Strong Pale Ale like the standard Mischief and my ratings would go up quite a bit (I like Mischief and have gotten multiple growler fills in the past). But it's labeled a Wild Ale so I'm anticipating a sour or funky ale which I don't get with this one. I loved the Wild 57 that was served at the RS Initiation Party and was hoping this would be along the same vein. I really would like to get some standard Mischief and compare it with this one. (1,007 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last