Cuir - The Bruery

CuirCuir

The Bruery visit their website

Old Ale |  14.50% ABV

Cuir is our third anniversary ale. It is the same recipe as Papier, but again created using the Solera method. Each year we will continue to blend old barrels of anniversary ale with a new batch of the same beer, adding an additional layer of complexity that will grow over time as we continue to age and blend with each anniversary, creating an older average age to the ale.

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 05-07-2011)

gpleiss, Jun 03, 2012

Koogles21, Mar 10, 2014

GTB, Mar 04, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -39.8%

bdkucharski, Feb 18, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -39%

Bottle from my brother from Colorado.
Pours a nice dark brown with like 3 fingers of head. Looks great!
Smells a bit tart... with a ton of booze behind it. Smells like a boozy sour to he honest, which is not what I expected from this at all. No sign of oak, no sign of bourbon.
Taste has a lot of leather, ironically, a lot if dark fruits. There does seem to be a tiny bit of tartness to it... maybe beginning signs of infection... but don't want to start anything. There is a big bitter finish also with some vanilla, which I guess gives me some of the barrel aging. To he honest, I don't really like this. It leaves a nasty aftertaste that coats the back of my throat. Other than that the barrel aging isn't noticeable. The coton was MUCH better in my opinion. Good mouthfeel... everything about this is good except the smell and taste, lol.

crusian, Jun 05, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -30.1%

Pours a one finger light brown soda-pop head that settles to a thin covering over a brilliant brown liquid. Looks like a brown ale, but with a large amount of fizz streaming to the surface. smelled of sweet dark fruited alcohol during the pour. Stored in my cellar since it was fresh on the shelves. To the nose, prune, chocolate, clean pine, alcohol sting, pineapple, spicy (nutmeg, ginger, allspice), mildly of toffee and vanilla. Complex. The spice is not what I was expecting and kind of pushes me away. Oxidized malt is beginning to fall apart. This one is not going in a good direction.

Tastes richly dark fruit sweet with bourbon and raw oak. Prune, caramel, pine, oranges, tannic leather, tarragon. Imagine you buy a spice rack from a resale shop and the spices in it are decades old and hold but a shadow of green. Stale grassy-spice. Dry from a waxy woodiness and astringency carried on the strong alcohol finish. I'm not enjoying this one. Thick and creamy in the mouth, but doesn't stick due to the strong carbonation, potent alcohol, and wood edge. This beer is disjointed and has no direction. I can't imagine this beer was any better when fresh and I don't see it improving with time. The bottle lies when it says this beer will "age gracefully for decades". The malt seems to have started falling apart faster than the alcohol has started enriching the oxidation process that produces sherry-like character. Overall, not good.

mentor, Jul 18, 2013
2.98/5  rDev -28.2%

Cuir means "leather" in French. This is appropriate because this beer was brewed by leather-man of the Village People.

Pours a dark butterscotch brown but sits opaque black in my glass. Wispy retention leaves a few lacey strays.

Aroma has a sour, barrel-aged-ness to it and boasts bourbon and molasses. Smells like dark, evil and from Kentucky, just like a like my beers. And many other things for that matter.

Tastesbuds tingle with bourbony goodness that are blown away by a very intense and very alcoholic bourbon sweetness. Thick, molasses, vanilla and oaky burn sugar sweetness is too much for me to keep drinking.

Focuses on the bourbon heat and sharp caramel notes rather than the soft caramel and vanilla that I love about bourbon. Basically it took all the parts I don't like about bourbon and put it in the beer while leaving out all the parts I do like. Boo.

So far this is my third attempt at the Bruery and so far the only one I like (Autumn Maple) I didn't like because it wasn't carbonated. I give up.

donkeyrunner, Sep 03, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -28.2%

Served in a snifter at Poor Phil's.

Finally able to try this one...all it took was a side-trip to Oak Park. Figures. Anyway, it pours a deep cloudy brown topped by a finger of relatively short-lived dirty cream foam, which settles into a steady tonsure for the duration of the drink. The nose comprises figs, raisins, red grapes, mandarin orange syrup, toffee, very light roasted malts, light cocoa, and light maple syrup. The sweetness is undeniable, along with an undercurrent of booze. The taste shows us who's boss, though, with notes of bourbon, maple syrup, mandarin orange syrup, red grapes, red apple skin, figs, light molasses, lemon zest, light black cherry, dark chocolate, light oak, and a finish eerily reminiscent of caramel corn. A decently strong kick of booze strikes throughout. Everything's kinda muddled and insanely sweet, even for a sweet tooth like mine. Honestly, it was kinda hard to drink this all the way down. The body is a solid medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and an oily feel. Overall, as much as I enjoyed Coton, Cuir just didn't do it for me. There' so much sweetness in so many forms, along with so much booze, that my tongue just couldn't quite deal with the onslaught.

TMoney2591, Jul 30, 2011

extra, Jan 21, 2013

djre4orm, Nov 17, 2011

Arsenal0328, Sep 26, 2013
3.08/5  rDev -25.8%

On tap, served in 14oz tulip. ~$7 at Pour Farm.

A- Big bold hazy brown beer, darker body than I remember on coton, little head but to be expected.

S- Caramel sundae. Lots of sugars, maple syrup/molasses.

T- Wow, shockingly sweet. I'm not saying it's not tasty, but christ, this thing's sweet. Sweet bread, bourbon, sugar, a bit of vanilla, sugar, some brandy-soaked fruit, burnt sugar, and more sugar. It's sweet.

M- Too sweet, lots of alcohol, although it's still enjoyable.

O- Too sweet, I am not gonna seek out a bottle. I liked coton a lot more. I enjoyed this beer but I can think of many more old ales I'd reach for at a much lower cost.

EDIT: I just re-read my coton review.. I liked that one much more. Not sure where this one went wrong, but it's just not as good, in my opinion.

ShogoKawada, Jul 27, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -25.3%

Bottle shared with a friend.

Pours a hazy brown with a 2 inches of off white head. Nice lacing.

Smells like molasses, alcohol, sour cherries, and a hint of bourbon.

Taste is really strong molasses, alcohol and a strong sour tinge on the end. Its pretty horrible on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, but the carbonation really doesn't come through in the taste.

Overall, its really not good. The sourness really kills it for me.

bs870621345, Jun 24, 2011