Cuir - The Bruery

CuirCuir

The Bruery visit their website

Old Ale |  14.50% ABV

Beer added by: Halcyondays on 05-07-2011

Cuir is our third anniversary ale. It is the same recipe as Papier, but again created using the Solera method. Each year we will continue to blend old barrels of anniversary ale with a new batch of the same beer, adding an additional layer of complexity that will grow over time as we continue to age and blend with each anniversary, creating an older average age to the ale.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 554 | Reviews: 189

3.03/5  rDev -27%

Served in a snifter at Poor Phil's.

Finally able to try this one...all it took was a side-trip to Oak Park. Figures. Anyway, it pours a deep cloudy brown topped by a finger of relatively short-lived dirty cream foam, which settles into a steady tonsure for the duration of the drink. The nose comprises figs, raisins, red grapes, mandarin orange syrup, toffee, very light roasted malts, light cocoa, and light maple syrup. The sweetness is undeniable, along with an undercurrent of booze. The taste shows us who's boss, though, with notes of bourbon, maple syrup, mandarin orange syrup, red grapes, red apple skin, figs, light molasses, lemon zest, light black cherry, dark chocolate, light oak, and a finish eerily reminiscent of caramel corn. A decently strong kick of booze strikes throughout. Everything's kinda muddled and insanely sweet, even for a sweet tooth like mine. Honestly, it was kinda hard to drink this all the way down. The body is a solid medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and an oily feel. Overall, as much as I enjoyed Coton, Cuir just didn't do it for me. There' so much sweetness in so many forms, along with so much booze, that my tongue just couldn't quite deal with the onslaught.

3.04/5  rDev -26.7%

Cuir means "leather" in French. This is appropriate because this beer was brewed by leather-man of the Village People.

Pours a dark butterscotch brown but sits opaque black in my glass. Wispy retention leaves a few lacey strays.

Aroma has a sour, barrel-aged-ness to it and boasts bourbon and molasses. Smells like dark, evil and from Kentucky, just like a like my beers. And many other things for that matter.

Tastesbuds tingle with bourbony goodness that are blown away by a very intense and very alcoholic bourbon sweetness. Thick, molasses, vanilla and oaky burn sugar sweetness is too much for me to keep drinking.

Focuses on the bourbon heat and sharp caramel notes rather than the soft caramel and vanilla that I love about bourbon. Basically it took all the parts I don't like about bourbon and put it in the beer while leaving out all the parts I do like. Boo.

So far this is my third attempt at the Bruery and so far the only one I like (Autumn Maple) I didn't like because it wasn't carbonated. I give up.

3.07/5  rDev -26%

On tap, served in 14oz tulip. ~$7 at Pour Farm.

A- Big bold hazy brown beer, darker body than I remember on coton, little head but to be expected.

S- Caramel sundae. Lots of sugars, maple syrup/molasses.

T- Wow, shockingly sweet. I'm not saying it's not tasty, but christ, this thing's sweet. Sweet bread, bourbon, sugar, a bit of vanilla, sugar, some brandy-soaked fruit, burnt sugar, and more sugar. It's sweet.

M- Too sweet, lots of alcohol, although it's still enjoyable.

O- Too sweet, I am not gonna seek out a bottle. I liked coton a lot more. I enjoyed this beer but I can think of many more old ales I'd reach for at a much lower cost.

EDIT: I just re-read my coton review.. I liked that one much more. Not sure where this one went wrong, but it's just not as good, in my opinion.

3.11/5  rDev -25.1%

Bottle shared with a friend.

Pours a hazy brown with a 2 inches of off white head. Nice lacing.

Smells like molasses, alcohol, sour cherries, and a hint of bourbon.

Taste is really strong molasses, alcohol and a strong sour tinge on the end. Its pretty horrible on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, but the carbonation really doesn't come through in the taste.

Overall, its really not good. The sourness really kills it for me.

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

Bottle poured into a tulip. Held onto this one for a little bit and excited to try it.

A- Dark brown and little head. Doesn't look all too exciting but that's the least important thing, right?

S- The smell hard to peg and herein the problem lies: boozy as all hell. Lots of alcohol smell. Almost covers up everything else but I was able to smell the dark fruit. Good for me?

T- Complex and exciting. Lots of dark fruits, bourbon, oak, some chocolate, lemon. Really malty. Then again, the alcohol taste really covers up a lot.

M- Nice carbonation, but this beer is the opposite of smooth. True sipper.

O- With everything the beer had going for it, Cuir's complex taste gets covered up by way too much alcohol presence. It was almost to the point of being unbearable. Would not buy again but I'm happy I tried it; just wish that experiment was cheaper...

3.16/5  rDev -23.9%

Reviewing the Cuir from The Bruery. I reviewed the 100% barred aged version of this at the end of last year.
Score: 79

2011 vintage bottle with bottle number 16598. Served in a wine glass and enjoyed on 03/31/12 with my good friends Adam Kaplan and Bryan Hernandez in the elegant W Hotel in River North.

Appearance: Pours a deep and hazy amber color that fades from a deep mahogany at the top to a reddish amber color at the bottom. Two fingers of creamy tan head at pour settles to a decently thick later. Amazing lacing, superior retention. 4.5/5

Smell: Barnyard funkiness and caramel. There's a sweet grape flavor that Hernandez described as "Sherry-like." I am not a wine connoisseur, but he is, so I'll take his word for it. There is barley malt, dried apricot and a light blackberry fruitiness as well. I detect a hint of rose pedal, but no one else seems to agree. There is a light alcohol heat in the nose, and it grows as the beer approaches room temperature. For all the complex nuance to the nose, though, you really have to fight through the funkiness in the aroma to detect it. 3.5/5

Taste: Sweet caramel and funky malt throughout. The alcohol is decently hidden at first. The funk seems to subside a little as the beer layers, but as it warms it gets less balanced and more boozy. Bitter barley and banana yeast on the midpalate. Some dried fruit and apricot in addition to modest berry notes. The fortified wine/grape from the nose is in the flavor too. Bitter barley finish and linger with a warming effect on the palate. The funkiness is really detracting. 3/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, medium carbonation. There is too much carbonation for how acidic and malty this beer is. Acidic finish. 2.5/5

Overall: Complex, but marred by a funkiness that overshadows the better qualities of this beer. It gets less balanced as it warms, and is too carbonated for how acidic and malty Cuir is. I do not like to throw the infected label around very often, but I did not see any other reviews that described the funkiness experienced with this beer. Maybe we just got a bad bottle. I have had the 100% Cuir before and it, in addition to tasting divine, tasted quite dissimilar to this (with a much heavier mouthfeel). I could not finish my glass once this beer hit room temperature.

Recommendation: This beer gets re-released every year, with a slightly different blend of base beers, with a new title. The 2012 version is called Fruet. I'd recommend waiting for a bottle of that, which will be easier to get, instead of seeking this one out.

Pairings: A nutty white cheese like Gruyere.

Cost: $20 for a 750 ml bottle.

3.17/5  rDev -23.6%

A - Foggy brown color with a one finger head, which recedes into lace.

S - Smells like sweet woodyness. Definite old ale style tones, a slight smell of spice and or yeast.

T/M - Creamy texture up front, mild somewhat tartness in the middle with a woody medium dirty bitterness at the end, definite heat from the %14+/-ABV.

O - Hot damn! No literally, pretty much a hot ass beer with some woody tones, cannot really detect any bourbon or even whiskey tones from this beer, a little too sweet to discern them from the beer.

PP (Price Point) - $17 for a 750ml bottle, Ill give it a "Meh" rating, as far as the ABV goes its well worth the price, but the style isn't doing too much for me, I think it could benefit from a few years of cellaring.

3.21/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Thanks to Sam for this one. 750ml waxed and capped bottle into a Cigar City snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a .25 finger cream colored head with poor retention. Beer is a cloudy dark brown. Lacing is spotty and stringy with moderate stick. Big, thick legs. Solid.

Nose is brown sugar, caramel, prune and plum. Syrupy with a big booze presence. Real sweet too. Decent but there's something that just doesn't seem to work here that I can't put my finger on.

Opens prune, plum and logan. Sweet syrup, brown sugar, caramel and some toffee notes in the middle. Boozy on the back end with molasses and more syrup sweetness. Finishes bourbon, leather, some oak, caramel, and brown sugar and molasses sweetness. Weird sweet fruit aftertaste. Again, decent but there's a fruit presence that doesn't work.

Medium to full bodied with moderate to low carbonation. Oily and slick in the mouth and goes down boozy and thick. Finishes accented with a lingering, aggressive finish. Average. A bit too carbonated.

I don't know if age has anything to do with it but this beer just isn't doing well. There's a weird fruit presence that asserts itself in the nose, flavor, and feel that makes the overall experience awkward. Just not for me.

3.29/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

750ml brown glass (black glass?) bottle with black wax-ed over branded pry-off pressure cap and classy brown/tan label acquired at a SoCal bottle shop over a year ago and served into a Verdugo Bar stem-tulip in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. The wax took some time to remove given its thickness. Reviewed live. Expectations are low; I hated Fruet and haven't been big on the other beers in this series that I've tried. Reviewed as an old ale. Bottle #01082. 14.5% ABV confirmed per the label.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to come to room temperature over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Yields a carbonation hiss upon opening.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a 1.5 finger wide head of khaki colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Head retention is pretty good for the high ABV - about 5-6 minutes - pretty impressive. Uneven lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head has a nice even consistency, but could definitely be softer.

Body colour is a dull nontransparent vaguely translucent dark brown with amber hues. No yeast particles/sediment is visible.

Overall, it's sort of a mediocre appearance for an old ale. It don't look like much.

Sm: Toffee, caramel, heavy malty sweetness, and nice bourbon notes (vanilla, light oak, wood) are the first things I notice. I also pick up English malts, cream, milky notes, faint leather, tobacco, and burnt sugars. Some dark fruit does land - mainly plum, fig, and maybe raisin/grape.

Any hop character has definitely faded. I don't pick up any yeast character, in spite of its lack of filtration. It's certainly got some booziness, but I wouldn't call it hot. More a pleasant warmth - at least in the aroma.

It's an imposing, powerful aroma of mild strength. I'm a bit cautious going in given the alcohol and my experience with other beers in this series.

T: The bourbon notes are by far the highlight for me; I get some nice vanilla, reticent oak, and some intangible barrel notes that are enjoyable.

Sadly, the base beer isn't quite up to par. It's a loosely cohesive mess of caramel, toffee, cream, milky notes, biscuit malt, brown malts, English malts, bread crust, faint dark fruit (plum and fig), faint tobacco, and buried leather. A kiss of fruitcake. Sure, there's more going on here than in your typical brew, but it isn't well balanced, and there's certainly little subtlety. The tobacco and leather lend it some nuance. I wouldn't call it intricate. It isn't particularly well layered. Above average depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour.

Any hop character is long gone. I also don't find any yeasty notes.

While I'm not sure I'd out and say I like it, I do think it's the most approachable of the anniversary series I've had so far. the sweetness isn't too out of control, but it is sugary as hell. I can almost feel my teeth rotting just drinking it.

Mf: Has some nice albeit sparse creaminess. Well-carbonated. It isn't as full-bodied as its anniversary brethren, nor is it quite as thick. Smooth and wet. Sticky, almost syrupy. It does have some boozy warmth which limits the drinkability.

Not at all stale, chewy, oily, gushed, harsh, or astringent.

Overall, the texture suits the taste pretty well, but doesn't feel custom-tailored specifically to it.

Dr: Absolutely a sipper, but I'm actually not dreading killing this bottle like I thought I might. This is definitely the best Bruery anniversary beer I've tried so far, and renews my faith a bit in the series overall. That said, it's still far from world-class and I remain dumbfounded by its high ratings. Far from a stellar old ale; honestly, I prefer North Coast's Old Stock Ale. I'd never buy this again at its unreasonable price point and I wouldn't recommend it to friends, but it's a nice little old ale from The Bruery and will certainly get you drunk. I recommend splitting with friends.

A powerful old ale that will get you knackered but won't knock your socks off. The bourbon barrel notes offer infinitely more likable character than the base beer, begging the question - why use this base at all?

It does improve as it comes to temperature, and drinks as well as I can imagine from a tulip.

B-

3.32/5  rDev -20%

Bottle (Cuir version): Poured a dark brown color ale with a medium size foamy head with medium retention and some light lacing. Aroma of alcohol ester are pretty strong with some light vanilla notes and some toffee and sweet caramel notes. Taste is also dominated by quite strong bourbon notes with some sweet toffee and very sweet caramel malt notes. Body is quite full with medium carbonation and too much alcohol was apparent. The idea behind this beer is great but the execution is less then perfect. Even after two year aging the beer is still way too hot and lacking attenuation.

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

750 ml bottle poured into a Darkness snifter, sharred with many people.

Bottle 08795

A- Pours a one finger tan head that dissipates to a nice thin layer around the glass, nice lacing, unfiltered, really cloudy, red mohagony color.
S- Huge dark fruit aroma, brown sugar, caramel, alcohol is present, not very balanced in the aroma.
T- Wow, unusual tartness comes out, huge fruity notes, plums, raisins, cherries, toffee, caramel, buttery taste, sweet brown sugar, incredibly rich, a little too rich, not very balanced, alcohol is present in the taste as well.
M- Medium/Big mouth feel, decent carbonation, sticky finish, smooth drinking, heat as it goes down.
O- Interesting beer, the BA version is phenomenal, the regular version is too rich for my liking, glad to try it once but have no interest in revisiting this one.

3.46/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a snifter. Bottle number 12,729. Thickest wax I've ever encountered. It was at least 1/8 of an inch thick in most places.

4.5 A: Dark brown color. Just under two fingers of beige creamy/foamy hybrid head. Retention is very good given the massive ABV. Short ring of lacing left.

3.5 S: The nose is shockingly tame and well intergrated. Light fruity and earthy bourbon. Big hit of brown sugar. Raisin, date, and caramel. Very little booze.

3.5 T: The bourbon and booze come out more in the taste. Leathery, oaky, vanilla, melon, and a big spiciness. Big caramel and brown sugar from the malt. Fig, rum soaked raisin, and date. A bit boozy, but not 14.5% boozy with warming throughout. Lightly astringent aftertaste.

3.5 M: Heavy body. Good moderate carbonation to style. Chewy with a light creaminess.

3.0 D: Definitely more mellow than Coton and perhaps a bit too mellow. Either way, it's tasty enough. Sweet, but not as sweet as I was expecting (which is usually a good thing).

3.46/5  rDev -16.6%

Served side by side with 100% BA Cuir.

A- Pours a dark amber with a 2" tan head. Lacing recedes quickly.

S- Worcestershire, soy sauce and leather.

T- Worcestershire, dates, grainy rye, and some oxidization.

M- Full body and medium carbonation. Drinks fairly easily and not real thick.

O- Not loving this beer, especially at the $22 price tag. Worcestershire is just to potent.

3.47/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured into an Ommegang flute on 7/3/11

Thanks to Arbitrator for leaving the bottle in care of our tasting group.

Dense, rusty, copper brown. Fluffy, one finger cap of foam. Drops to a thin layer of bubbly foam, bunched up around the collar. Specs of sediment at the bottom.

Deep aromas of darker fruit tones - raisins, figs and a hint of prune. Leather and a slight notion of earth. Sugary; brown sugar and some toasty caramel. Starts to booze up as it warms further. Overtones of oak barrel. It has more of rum-soaked fruit bent than bourbon. Several strong whiffs begin to agitate the nostrils.

Leads off with a fruity inkling. Tastes a lot like rum-soaked figs and raisins. Candy sweetness in the mid-section. Toasty sugars - brown sugar and molasses. Damn sweet. It's nearly at the threshold for sweetness I can take. Tones of leather, tobacco, earth and a subtle charred note. The abv is decently masked but it builds appreciably over time. Lingerings of bread.

Full, slow-moving feel. Granular underpinnings. It makes for an all-encompassing, coating feel. Carbonation is fairly low, at least in proportion to the body. Full, long-lingering flavors on the finish. Rather smooth towards the end.

Overall impression: pretty solid as a sipper. Almost too sweet. It makes me want a cigar.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Cuir from The Bruery