Cuir - The Bruery

CuirCuir

The Bruery visit their website

Old Ale |  14.50% ABV

Cuir is our third anniversary ale. It is the same recipe as Papier, but again created using the Solera method. Each year we will continue to blend old barrels of anniversary ale with a new batch of the same beer, adding an additional layer of complexity that will grow over time as we continue to age and blend with each anniversary, creating an older average age to the ale.

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 05-07-2011)

brother_kenneth, Jan 19, 2014

Beeranator, Jan 18, 2014

bauermj, Jan 17, 2014

mattmarka1, Jan 13, 2014
4.29/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

750mL (bottle 02505) into a snifter. Pours a crystal-clear ruby mahogany w/ a surprisingly big khaki head that settles to a velvety film. Moderate carbonation.

Aroma is fruity and sweet. Brown sugar, black cherries, molasses, rum-soaked pipe tobacco, caramel, vanilla.

Taste follows nose. Rich and complex, sweet and syrupy; maybe just a touch too sweet. Lots of sugars evident. Brown sugar, molasses, candied yams, raisins, caramel, toffee, bing cherries, pipe tobacco, and just a touch of alcohol heat... the list goes on, almost infinitely.

Mouthfeel is, not surprisingly, sticky and chewy, coating. Lingering aftertaste. The opposite of crisp and refreshing. A true sipper of a beer, dessert in a glass. This one will last the rest of the evening.

Overall about what I expected. I prefer Fruet, but this one is clearly in the same family. If it wasn't *so* sweet I'd probably give it higher marks, but it's still an interesting beer to carefully contemplate.

draheim, Jan 05, 2014

MacQ32, Jan 03, 2014
3.3/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

750ml brown glass (black glass?) bottle with black wax-ed over branded pry-off pressure cap and classy brown/tan label acquired at a SoCal bottle shop over a year ago and served into a Verdugo Bar stem-tulip in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. The wax took some time to remove given its thickness. Reviewed live. Expectations are low; I hated Fruet and haven't been big on the other beers in this series that I've tried. Reviewed as an old ale. Bottle #01082. 14.5% ABV confirmed per the label.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to come to room temperature over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Yields a carbonation hiss upon opening.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a 1.5 finger wide head of khaki colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Head retention is pretty good for the high ABV - about 5-6 minutes - pretty impressive. Uneven lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head has a nice even consistency, but could definitely be softer.

Body colour is a dull nontransparent vaguely translucent dark brown with amber hues. No yeast particles/sediment is visible.

Overall, it's sort of a mediocre appearance for an old ale. It don't look like much.

Sm: Toffee, caramel, heavy malty sweetness, and nice bourbon notes (vanilla, light oak, wood) are the first things I notice. I also pick up English malts, cream, milky notes, faint leather, tobacco, and burnt sugars. Some dark fruit does land - mainly plum, fig, and maybe raisin/grape.

Any hop character has definitely faded. I don't pick up any yeast character, in spite of its lack of filtration. It's certainly got some booziness, but I wouldn't call it hot. More a pleasant warmth - at least in the aroma.

It's an imposing, powerful aroma of mild strength. I'm a bit cautious going in given the alcohol and my experience with other beers in this series.

T: The bourbon notes are by far the highlight for me; I get some nice vanilla, reticent oak, and some intangible barrel notes that are enjoyable.

Sadly, the base beer isn't quite up to par. It's a loosely cohesive mess of caramel, toffee, cream, milky notes, biscuit malt, brown malts, English malts, bread crust, faint dark fruit (plum and fig), faint tobacco, and buried leather. A kiss of fruitcake. Sure, there's more going on here than in your typical brew, but it isn't well balanced, and there's certainly little subtlety. The tobacco and leather lend it some nuance. I wouldn't call it intricate. It isn't particularly well layered. Above average depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour.

Any hop character is long gone. I also don't find any yeasty notes.

While I'm not sure I'd out and say I like it, I do think it's the most approachable of the anniversary series I've had so far. the sweetness isn't too out of control, but it is sugary as hell. I can almost feel my teeth rotting just drinking it.

Mf: Has some nice albeit sparse creaminess. Well-carbonated. It isn't as full-bodied as its anniversary brethren, nor is it quite as thick. Smooth and wet. Sticky, almost syrupy. It does have some boozy warmth which limits the drinkability.

Not at all stale, chewy, oily, gushed, harsh, or astringent.

Overall, the texture suits the taste pretty well, but doesn't feel custom-tailored specifically to it.

Dr: Absolutely a sipper, but I'm actually not dreading killing this bottle like I thought I might. This is definitely the best Bruery anniversary beer I've tried so far, and renews my faith a bit in the series overall. That said, it's still far from world-class and I remain dumbfounded by its high ratings. Far from a stellar old ale; honestly, I prefer North Coast's Old Stock Ale. I'd never buy this again at its unreasonable price point and I wouldn't recommend it to friends, but it's a nice little old ale from The Bruery and will certainly get you drunk. I recommend splitting with friends.

A powerful old ale that will get you knackered but won't knock your socks off. The bourbon barrel notes offer infinitely more likable character than the base beer, begging the question - why use this base at all?

It does improve as it comes to temperature, and drinks as well as I can imagine from a tulip.

B-

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

750ml, 2011 anniversary
The Bruery tulip

A: Murky reddish brown. Not a lot of head. Not a lot of lacing. Lower carbonation. Alcohol feet are there.

S: Dark fruits. Booze. Sweet malts. Toffee. Doesn't smell AS oxidized as the Papier but this has to do with the age. I love the nose on these.

T: Flavor is similar to Papier but a little less oxidized. Lots of dark fruit. Some brown sugar. Very sweet malty goodness. Vanilla and toffee. Touches of leather and some tobacco behind it all. Finish is long.

M: Full bodied. Chewy.

inlimbo77, Nov 18, 2013
4.8/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into snifter at a bottle share from a 750 ml bottle.

A: Pours a redish orange color with a minimal amount of carbonation.

S: The smell was very boozy with notes of vanilla and caramel.

T: Taste follows with the smell and was very boozy. The caramel and vanilla follow through.

O: Overall it's a very good beer. Same as with the other anniversary beers, it is best enjoyed among friends. Tackling this by yourself would be a massive challenge.

HookemHoos, Nov 18, 2013