Cuir - The Bruery

CuirCuir

The Bruery visit their website

Old Ale |  14.50% ABV

Cuir is our third anniversary ale. It is the same recipe as Papier, but again created using the Solera method. Each year we will continue to blend old barrels of anniversary ale with a new batch of the same beer, adding an additional layer of complexity that will grow over time as we continue to age and blend with each anniversary, creating an older average age to the ale.

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 05-07-2011)
3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours a reddish amber color with pretty good head retention and lacing. The nose is attractive, showcasing sweet grape, some smokey oak and considerable vanilla. The flavor profile generally replicates the nose, except for me, the over the top sweetness is more than I can handle. This level of sweetness, coupled with the obviously high alcohol, make drinking this beer in anything other than very small portions impossible. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, with a fairly long, very sweet and rich finish. There's some noticeable bourbon in this beer as well, but given the sweetness in this beer, it was hard for me to really notice or appreciate. The alcohol is actually pretty well integrated into the flavor profile, and there's no heat or alcoholic bite in the finish.

I don't know... this is an interesting beer, with some attractive flavor, but the sweetness and high alcohol are just too much for me. Really wish I had tried this beer before spluring on a bottle that is currently sitting in my fridge, where it will undoubtedly remain for some time.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle # 08977

A-Pours molasses brown with a thin ring of khaki bubbles. No lacing.

S-Tart cherries, oak, bourbon, tannic grape skins, leather.

T/M-Wow. Have to say I haven't been a huge fan of the first two beers in this series, but Cuir is damn good. Plenty of bourbon oak up front, giving way to a delicate, bright fruity acidity. The finish is oaky, warming, and drawn out. Delicate carbonation holds the silky, lush body together and separates the flavors exquisitely. Carbonation had been my main issue with the previous two beers.

O-Was not expecting to love this, but here we are. Will buy another few, as I will want to have this around for a couple of years.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

750mL bottle poured into a snifter.

(A)- Pours a deep mahogany; almost crimson color. Produced a rather large tan colored frothy head that stuck around for awhile. Some lace too; very impressed considering the ABV.

(S)- Nicely rich and sweet. Bits of honey, toffee, brown sugar, and candied figs. Some boozy warmth and dry oak in the background.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. Wonderfully rich and sweet with layers of honey, fig, dry oak, and some nice darker fruits that remind me of a sherry or tawny port.

(M)- A mellow carbonation level. A nice balance too of rich/oak/and sweet fruits. The booze is there, but nowhere near like 14.5%ABV.

(D)- I am impressed with this one. I had serious doubts after the massively disappointing 2nd Anniversary(Coton), but this one has turned out to be far superior. Great stuff.

3.1/5  rDev -25.3%

Bottle shared with a friend.

Pours a hazy brown with a 2 inches of off white head. Nice lacing.

Smells like molasses, alcohol, sour cherries, and a hint of bourbon.

Taste is really strong molasses, alcohol and a strong sour tinge on the end. Its pretty horrible on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, but the carbonation really doesn't come through in the taste.

Overall, its really not good. The sourness really kills it for me.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Review #12
750 mL bottle
A kind gift from my brother.

A - Pours dark brown, slight red hue from the light. About a finger of light tan head with nice retention.

S - I really enjoyed the smell of this. Picked up vanilla, oak, bourbon, and leather. Dark fruits, prunes, and brown sugar. Slight sour character.

T - Fairly complex. Faint tartness, oak, malt, dark fruits, and leather. Finish is oak, bourbon, and a touch of vanilla. I definitely pick up on the booze, but feel it's hidden fairly well.

M - I had initially imagined for this beer to be heavier than it was. Surprisingly easy to drink, slightly chewy. Coats the mouth with alcohol warmth, but not syrupy.

O - This was the first beer that I have tried from The Bruery and I was very impressed. I thank my brother (who isn't too into beer) for picking up a bottle. Definitely in the right place at the right time. Would love to try the 100% BA version.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

From notes taken at the armsby abbey.

A - Poured into a snifter a rich crystal clear hazelnut with a great creamy one finger head that slowly fades to leave a nice halo.

S - holy cow! Massive buttery rum raisin. Great malts...the abv os shockingly hidden!

T - possibly the best old ale I have ever had. Glorious buttery malts and barrels. My god this ia delicious.

M - low carbonation but not syrupy. This feels aligtly hot in the mouth. Very good though.

O - Overall I would buy this again in a heartbeat. Wish I could get a bottle of this!

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

It took a server, a busser, and a soon-to-be and a certified cicerone to open the bottle--no joke, the pull tab about the wax seal broke, so that alone was just about worth the price.

750ml bottle served at cellar temperature at Meridian Pint in Washington, DC. Poured into a brandy snifter, about 1-2 fingers creamy head. Thin lacing.

The bourbon barrel is the first thing I smell and taste with this beer. It's boozy, but not hot. Very nice carbonation. I was expecting less when I smelled the beer and was not looking forward to a high viscus beer and was very pleasantly surprised by the mouthfeel. I like the tart yeast qualities and am looking forward to how those qualities come out more after the barrels age and some of the bourbon fades in the anniversary beers to come.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured into New Belgium snifter in another badass tasting with aasher. Pours a dark brown with a slight shade of ruby. The 3 fingers of foam head are white with some shades of red.

Smells buttery and malty with some hints of cherry. Some kinda pastry that just came out of the oven.

Taste is similar to the smell for once with my review. Sweet dark malt with a tart slightly hoppy backbone.

Bombers like this are expensive for a reason...They're really good

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

I highly regret not buying a Coton when I could so I had to buy Cuir asap. It pours a dark, syrupy brown in color with a light beige lacing around my Founders snifter. It smells of buttered biscuits initially, like buttered Bisquik biscuits (my grandma's specialty). Add a little honey, molasses, and oak and you've got Cuir. The biscuity malt smells delicious. The flavors consist of biscuity malt, lightly salty butter, brown sugar, molasses, oak, oak again, dark fruits, figs, and biscuits! Alcohol? I couldn't find any. Holy shit this beer is ready for consumption, which isn't what I heard about Coton. It drinks a little sticky, which was to be expected, and is medium in body. It's extremely drinkable and you would honestly have no idea that this beer is even above 10%. It's definitely drinking well for just arriving some four days ago. I'm really beside myself at how good this is, in all facets. I never expected Cuir to be this outstanding so young. I'm really, really interesting in seeing how this one ages. The Bruery has only disappointed me a couple times. Beers like this are why people are set up for disappointment in the first place, because they make some world class beers. This is one of them.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

My wife and I are celebrating our third anniversary tonight. I honestly couldn't have thought of a better brew for this occasion!

Poured into our very expensive wedding champagne glasses.

A: About the color of leather actually. Dark brown, with a slight reddish hue when held up to a light source. About a half finger or so beige head after a hard pour with great retention.

S: Sort of a sweet, glorious, cherry tomato scent. My wife said it smells like a gourmet tomato soup. As for me, I got a mild hint of bourbon, but mostly brown sugar, tons of fruit (not always dark), and Belgian funk.

T: Sweet as hell, but with very much a "Sweet Tart" quality that made it fantastically gourmet. To be honest though, the very first thing to hit my palate was cherries. Next, I got a bit of a sweet tomato paste quality, followed by leather... which didn't really hit me until about the 4th sip or so. Extremely dry finish, but with a very caramel-like quality that coated the palate ten-fold.

M: Thick, but not as thick as I thought it was going to be. Much more fruity than I expected, and with tons of yeasty funkiness that comes damn near to defying description.

O: Not a trace of alcohol on this baby, which is dangerous for a brew that clocks in at 14.5%. This is one of the Bruery's crowning achievements IMO!

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a massive head of light tan with a nice black iced tea colored body.

Aroma is vanilla, oak, bourbon, leather. Definitely a bit of sourness in smell, I can see where others have claimed that this is infected although I do not know that it is for sure yet. I would suggest drinking one now and see what happens to the others later.

Plenty of oak, booze, tons of leather flavor unsurprisingly and a tight bite on the tongue of booze at the end that is unmistakable. I am easily reminded of the sting of a strong bourbon from this bite. Lots of complexity and I can appreciate the Solera method and do not think there is a whole lot to worry about with this beer. It will have its prime time to drink just like any other beer, but I think it is drinking well right now. Burnt sugars, caramel, toffee, bourbon barrel flavors mixed together well. Most closely resembling Backwoods Bastard in taste from a beer that I have had a few times, I can definitely recommend it.

Mouthfeel is slick with a lot of carbonation. This will probably continue to carb a little more, it is probably a good thing that the bottles are waxed. Looking forward to the 4th anniversary to see how this beer progresses. Being that I love a well aged beer, I do not expect to be disappointed

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Picked up at the local Binny’s for a wonderfully outrageous price of $22. Bottle number 4225.

Appearance – Pours a dirty, ruddy brown into my tulip glass. About a finger of slight tan head is achieved with a somewhat vigorous pour that dissipates momentarily leaving slight spotty lacing.

Smell – Lots of dark fruits such as figs, prunes, and dates. Brown sugar, maple syrup, and molasses. Slight sour character such as green grapes. Ends with a leather/earthy aroma.

Taste – A lot of sweetness up front from the dark fruits, though it is almost immediately taken over by an ever so slight tartness reminiscent of fruity sherry. This melds into brown sugar, vanilla, some oak and smokiness, and lastly bourbon. Honestly, I’m pretty impressed for how big this beer is, how nice it comes together. I did a search after starting to review this and saw others getting a slight tartness from this (which I am experiencing) but then read some saying there is almost an A-1 sauce flavor (which I do not detect, however, seeing as I use that damn sauce on everything I would like to try a bottle with those characteristics, haha).

Mouthfeel – Pretty creamy and thick, though the higher than average carbonation for this style works well by making it seem a bit lighter overall.

Overall – I will get another bottle of this for sure and sit on it for a while. If it is infected like people say, oh well. But from what I have experienced, while pretty damn pricy, this is a beer to sip and enjoy. I don’t taste alcohol (though I do get warming) and for being so “young” and such high ABV, that is pretty damn impressive. I really am enjoying this beer when I thought it would be more of a “meh” beer.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Received this fine brew as a Father's Day gift. Thanks to the wife and kids, and thanks to my beer guys at Binny's in Plainfield (George and Keith) for hooking my wife with this one. Been chilling all day.

Poured into a snifter. Pours a deep garnet brown, clear, with a huge, light tan head that "sizzles" as it fades. Good level of carbonation, I think, with some light lacing.

Aromas of grapes, oak, and a sour funk. Definitely has a winy edge to it.

Flavors of , wow! Complex, winy, light sourness, oakiness, sherry oxidation, huge aged maltiness. Love the mix of several vintages. The finish picks up the hints of bourbon, vanilla, and booziness.

Mouthfeel is huge, chewy, hot. Mouthcoating warmth with a light puckering sourness.

Overall an outstanding beer. Very well blended. Complex. Reminds me of an Amontillado sherry, dark, rich, with a light sweetness.

3.9/5  rDev -6%

Sample on tap at the tasting room.

A: oak, toffee, raisins and prunes, vanilla, some alcohol. A harbinger of things to come.
A: brown-orange, hazy, tan head that drops but lingers.
F: huge dried fruit, raisins, cherries, prunes. Oak and vanilla. Malt sweetness barely balanced by hop bitter. Finish is long and fruity / oaky. It just goes on and on,
M: full but not cloying or syrupy. A touch of carbonation keeps it lively. Definitely warming but not hot.
O: a big, flavorful, warming "sipping" beer.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Beer poured from bottle into Stemmed wine glass

A - Beer poured with an opaque brown maple body; caramel look; color scheme matches the label; crème colored one finger head; held well; leaves behind a layer of lacing; moderate visible carbonation

S - Maple syrup; caramelized malt scents; dark fruits, figs and dates; brown sugar; sweet; subtle licorice note at the end of the sniff, combination of scents

T - Dark fruits; figs and dates; maple syrup; brown sugar, sweet; caramelized malt flavors; sour apple and pear; raisin

M - Effervescent and slightly chewy; smooth with a dark fruit aftertaste, slightly bitter - licorice; leaves a nice lingering sweet, brown sugar, taste on the lips

D - Fantastic drink; great flavor and scent profile; love this, please have this if you're an advocate of beer

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottle number 03937.

Cuir marks The Bruery's third year in operation (Cuir is French for leather, the traditional gift of the third wedding anniversary). It makes use of the Solera method, a process for aging booze by fractional blending so the finished product is a mixture of ages, with the average age gradually increasing as the process continues over many years.

It works like this: In the first year, a collection of oak barrels is filled with beer and allowed to age a year. At the end of the aging interval, the barrels are tapped and most of their contents put into bottles. These partially-empty barrels are then refilled with a new batch of beer of the same recipe, and the new batch mixes with the old.

The original anniversary ale, Papier, was brewed as an English-style old ale using The Bruery's house strain of Belgian yeast. Coton, the second anniversary ale, is the same recipe as Papier, but was blended with the older, aged brew. Cuir is, again, the same recipe, this time mixed with the Papier/Coton fusion that had been aging in oak barrels since Coton's release. Since none of the barrels is ever fully drained, some of the beer from previous years will always remain in each container, allowing the older beer to lend its maturity to the young and developing intricate, multifaceted flavors.

Poured into a tulip glass, Cuir shimmers a deep, opaque burgundy. A full two fingers of fluffy sandy tan head caps the liquid, but high alcohol content rarely allows bubbles to stay for long. The head soon pops away, becoming a thick and silky top layer.

The aroma is your first hint of the complexity Solera blending can deliver. Brown sugar, brandy and maple syrup dance among light hints of hoary oak, vanilla, figs and dark rye. The flavor expands further on this storyline. Take a sip and you're awash in brandy-soaked raisins, brown sugar, chocolate syrup and leather. The sweetness of the beer, paired with buttery notes and an impressive amount of booze, combine to remind of sugary bread pudding.

Lovers of port or dessert wines will appreciate Cuir -- it's a beer that lets you know it's boozy. The alcohol hits like heartburn, burns through the nostrils and numbs the tongue. Matching the intense ABV is an equally substantial body. Its full, buttery softness is a delight to roll across the tongue, letting the beer's minute bubbles massage the tongue before the swallow and long, sweet, tangy finish.

Cuir's bold flavors will overpower most dishes but would stand up well against the rich meatiness of roast duck or lamb. If you feel like breakfast for dinner, the beer would play perfectly off pancakes. Layered with flavors of dark fruit, vanilla and burnt sugar, Cuir's an excellent stand-in for fruit-based syrup.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Beer served in my Bruery tulip, bottle 03479 for what it is worth. Beer is brown and hazy with a big off white head of small bubbles, nice retention, lots of lacing and moderate to high carbonation.

Beer smells sweet, molasses, bready, yeast, brown sugar. Smells good.

Beer is very sweet, lots of booze but tolerable. Tobacco, mild, nice yeast character. Smooth alcohol sweetness, mildly dry finish. Beer is really creamy and flavorful. I am really feeling this beer. Much better than Coton was last year. I really like it.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured on tap at Pizza Paradiso Dupont DC into a medium snifter, 10oz pour.. it's happy hour time!

A foamy tan head that is off yellow, with lots of stickyness. Cloudy body of dark somewhat murky brown is present. It's a real nice color and the head has incredible staying power.

First smell is table wine, then a big sense of caramel malts and sweetness. Concord like grape then cherry comes over with incredible fruit punch along with this malty backbone. Quite different.

Taste is at first a chocolate milk bent but more emphasis on a dry powdered malt almost Abuleta breakfast like. Grape sensation comes through with a dense body, almost... just a hint of citrus grapefruit wanting to peak out. Finish has a quinine tonic water sense but without the wetness, and ever so slight.

Overall very impressive, but kind of an odd mish mash of things. I think the brew is a little polarizing, I think people are either going to love this or hate it. It's high abv is incredibly masked and is still super drinkable, without a big boozy alcohol bomb in your stomach. For me this brew is great but also stupidly dangerous and sometimes, that's not a bad thing.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a very nice dark red, appropriate carbonation. Actually could have been fewer bubbles given the style and ABV, but I'd rather have a bit too much than not enough.

Smells are on the complex side of things. Plums, leather, and brown sugar are the main players. No solvents, no alcohol.

Tastes are not as good as the smells. More warmth, dark fruits the main thing. Some leather/tobacco. Not very sweet, seems well attenuated for such a big Old Ale.
Would have liked more barrel. (25% not enough). 14.5% alcohol...I certainly didn't taste it.

Mouthfeel was great. This isn't a thick beer, nor a thin one. Carbonation lifts things. More dry than I expected.

This is good. But it's not $20 a 750ml good. Is it just an appetizer for the 100% barrel aged version?

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Slightly cloudy medium-brown. moderate beige head that dissipated quickly. I think the head is larger than that of my Coton I drank last month

Smell: Belgian yeast notes, some mild prune & brown sugar notes. I get the slightest hint of bourbon and some alcohol, To me the nose was more pronounced on the roughly 1 year old Coton I had.

Taste: Fruity sherry notes, some dark fruits, brown sugar and with traces of bourbon on the tail end. The Solera method used is evident compared to my Coton I had a month ago. Still has a fairly sweet taste, but the aging is bringing some additional complexity to the party.

Mouth-feel: Full body with a fair amount of carbonation.

Overall: A good beer which is different enough from Coton to make it worthwhile of obtaining by Bruery Anniversary Beer fans. I'm looking forward to drinking the Bal-aged version.

2.53/5  rDev -39%

Bottle from my brother from Colorado.
Pours a nice dark brown with like 3 fingers of head. Looks great!
Smells a bit tart... with a ton of booze behind it. Smells like a boozy sour to he honest, which is not what I expected from this at all. No sign of oak, no sign of bourbon.
Taste has a lot of leather, ironically, a lot if dark fruits. There does seem to be a tiny bit of tartness to it... maybe beginning signs of infection... but don't want to start anything. There is a big bitter finish also with some vanilla, which I guess gives me some of the barrel aging. To he honest, I don't really like this. It leaves a nasty aftertaste that coats the back of my throat. Other than that the barrel aging isn't noticeable. The coton was MUCH better in my opinion. Good mouthfeel... everything about this is good except the smell and taste, lol.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750ml bottle into a pint glass. Split with BA morningthief and his wife.

Appearance: Careful pour yields a 1 inch, fluffy light tan head that dissipates steadily and lacelessly. Pours a hazy dark red brown. No lacing, huge legs.

Smell: Belgian yeast and barbecue sauce. Some oak, hint of band-aid (not as offensive as when present in a beer's flavor), smoke, and some smells approaching vinegar. Booziness comes out with warmth. With time, settles into an excellent mix of booze, BBQ, leather, Belgian yeast, with some cake and other delicious aromas in the background.

Taste: Immediately presents itself as an excellent old ale. Everything from the nose is here (besides the band-aid), along with with a thick, sweet, hard candy sweetness that's perfectly tempered by the big savory BBQ note, smoke that comes out through the middle, and long hot finish. It's very boldly flavored and sugary, yet succulent. Various cake like flavors pop up... it's not an endlessly deep beer, but new good flavors do keep popping up unexpectedly.

Tastes a lot less fruity than Coton, and the influence of the oak is much less prominent (almost non-existent for the most part). At the same time, the overall balance is much better. Flavor is pushing 5.0; not sure how this could taste much better. Maybe some more oak influence and malt depth would push it over the edge. Maybe just a year of aging. Really outstanding.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, with moderate carbonation. A little chewy and sticky. Long heat at the end. Significantly better than Coton; more carbonation, less oily slickness. Compliments the flavor.

Overall: I love it. Competitive with Adam for best old ale I've tasted. Maybe there's a problem here or there, but nothing more than a minor quibble. This beer is the Bruery showing off some of the heights of its considerable talent, and is worthy both as an anniversary beer and of the hefty price tag it commands. I'll be picking up another bottle if I can find one.

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

(On draught at Papago!). Pours dark caramel with khaki head. Aroma has some smoke, dark, ripe fruit, A-1 steak sauce? Taste is sweet, with a bit of sour twang. Alcohol is well integrated given the abv. Full-bodied with sticky, oily mouthfeel. Smooth finish. Good beer and quite unique.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

On tap at Bilbo Baggins in Alexandria. Served in a tulip. Lucky enough to drink this glass while talking to Patrick.

Pours a moderate caramel-copper color with a really nice tan head, especially considering the abv. A bit of lacing on the way down after some good retention. Lacing on the sides of the glass and a collar throughout. The nose carried some strong notes of brown sugar along with a bit of molasses and a touch of alcohol. Light tobacco notes.

The flavor melded everything together beautifully. This thing already tastes quite aged, and it is extraordinarily difficult to believe that it's 14.5%. Smooth brown sugar and molasses with light tobacco and a slight dry bitterness to the finish. Full bodied with only a slight presence of booze. Extraordinarily well done. Glad to know that the trend for these beers is only to get better and better.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

On-tap at Bruery Provisions, on to the beer:

What is this color, brown violet? Ok, how about dark brown that is trying to cross over to violet? Regardless, not much head on top of this one. The nose features lots of brown sugar, dates, a little wood, and even a light tartness.

Have a glass of water nearby, because Cuir is a big bodied beer with a taste that will smuther your palate. No surprise given that this is over 14% ABV. The rush of brown sugar never seems to end. The sweetness of red grapes adds another dimension to this behemoth of a beer. There's a light amount of wood character present. The alcohol is hidden extremely well, which has become synonymous with The Bruery's big beers. Full bodied with a little stick, yet remains very easy to approach.

Not super complex among strong beer, yet remains a beer that is worth trying. I'm already imagining the possible added dimensions of the 100% barrel aged version.

Cuir from The Bruery