1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tart Of Darkness - The Bruery

Tart Of DarknessTart Of Darkness

The Bruery visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Batch 2 was aged in spent Black Tuesday barrels.

(Beer added by: ajcobb24 on 06-22-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,395 | Reviews: 283 | Show All Ratings:
grotonmarketguy

My boy Nevins came through with this bottle. We both agreed if you close your eyes you'd think this was a Cantillon. Some sort of blend between a stout and a Geuze. A black Geuze. Simply amazing. Not alot of barnyard funk in the nose as this is pretty young still but tons of sour. How did they do it? I'd say a bit more body than say Cantillon Geuze and a very faint (toffee) sweetness is hiding way in the corners. Wish I had more of this bad boy for the beer cellar.

07-24-2011 17:54:38 | More by grotonmarketguy
psoriasaurus

Georgia

Sour Stout? Yes please. I was sold before I even tasted it. Poured from bottle into snifter, appears light bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Roasted, chocolate aromas. First sip annihilates your tastebuds with a level of sour that would make a warhead's lips pucker. The chocolate/mocha flavors oddly pair nicely with the intense sour. Absolutely delicious.

01-29-2014 17:07:10 | More by psoriasaurus
pepe_silvia

This beer is perfection. Complex, strong from start to finish, biting acidity with huge, beautiful, full flavor to back it up. I would seriously trade one of my cousins for a bottle of this but we don't see each other very often so it's fine. Definitely not for the meek.

02-18-2014 01:03:39 | More by pepe_silvia
Kjanisch7

4.98/5  rDev +18.3%

A - Jet black with a thin tan head.

S - A pleasant smell of chocolate/coffee from the dark malt, and that awesome classic sour tart smell.

T - TART. Delicious cherry and fig notes. Vinegary finish with some berry notes. Nice little bourbon taste as well for an added bonus.

M - Thin body which was unexpected for the color of the beer. Moderate carbonation. Great feel and easy to drink.

D - The drinkability here is incredible. Wish I could drink this one every single day.

06-27-2013 13:49:33 | More by Kjanisch7
JonathanC

4.94/5  rDev +17.3%

Tart of darkness is by far a very sour beer,but a very tasty
one too! It pours out a very dark tart, with yeast sediments laid at the bottom of the bottle, (if poured correctly). Sours aren't for everyone as some lack the tastes for it, but if you want a top sour, this sour will make your pallet numb. I wouldn't pass a batch of this up, one for aging, one for drinking!

06-25-2013 18:34:11 | More by JonathanC
aknight

4.9/5  rDev +16.4%

Opening my first bottle of Bruery's Tart of Darkness I wasn't sure what I was going to think but I love all things sour and all things Bruery so I had to load up. This is amazing. It pours a dark, deep brown with a finger of head which quickly dissipates. The aroma is of sourness, almost vinegary. This is a truly sessionable stout, not huge like a certain other Bruery stout but if you love sours you would be able to drink this all night long. There is so much sourness going on that I don't get much else. There is some malt that is noticeable but this is largely about the sour. This is an amazing beer. I'm going to have to go back for whatever the Provisions store will let me buy.

06-28-2011 04:25:54 | More by aknight
AdamBear

4.9/5  rDev +16.4%

A-very dark brown wih a thin tan head

S-wow! Smells super funky with dark fruits and some cocoa. Strong scent! Unique.

T-oh my. This is amazing! It comes in with a super sour taste of dark fruits and faint cocoa. Very sour! The after-taste is mostly dark roasted with a pretty good hint of coffee. This might be one of the most sour beers I've ever had.

M-heavy creamy carbonation with a dry finish

O-this pretty much just drinks like an American wild ale with a twist of darkness to it. It's freaking awesome!! It's good enough that I'm going out and buying a few more bottles if I can find them! Its awesome. The tastes are powerful and great tasting

09-04-2012 02:49:02 | More by AdamBear
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Cool light brown appearance, almost transluscent despite the dark color. Aroma was definitely tart, sour, salivation inducing. Stay around, you'll get the usual suspects in a stout aroma, chocolate, mild coffee, even a little wood, even though I don't think this was barreled. Might even be cherry and another citrus aroma/flavor to it. Very impressed.

Oh yeah, big ol' sour taste surges in the lead, the typical irish dry stout flavors follow, this is SO easy to drink, no alcohol, no massivity of most (but excellent) Bruery stouts. Very easy to drink, while complex, unique, and loveable. I dunno if its the sour component, but I'd swear this has the slightest touch of cherry to it. Its like a soured, sessionable, small beer version of Cherry Chocolate Rain. It ain't equal parts sour/stout, its sour first, stout later.

Pretty good deal to at ~$15 for a 750. Wish I bought more. This is my favorite new beer of 2011 so far.

07-01-2011 00:17:14 | More by Beerandraiderfan
blindtiger24

Colorado

4.84/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz bomber poured into a tulip glass.

A: Thin head that is more fizzy carbonation than head. Deep plum coloring.

S: Prunes and cherry cola with hints of strawberry, alcohol, and charred tobacco.

T: Strong sweet and bitter flavors of dried fruit highlighted by prunes and apricots. Cherry cola slides around the tongue underneath the bitter flavors and shows its sweetness towards the end. Tart cherries really accelerate the acidity mid way through and blend into the malt.

M: Awesome mouth experience. Mix of sweetness and sour pucker right off the bat, relief provided by the carbonation and malt, then a return from the sour and sweetness. Bitterness backs off just enough and then swings back for the finale for a fun finish.

O: Alone in its class, in my opinion. La Folie and Crooked Stave are great wild / sour beers, but this is pretty darn close to a masterpiece.

01-05-2014 02:36:39 | More by blindtiger24
Ed2

Delaware

4.79/5  rDev +13.8%

Incredible... Mouth watering... saliva creating.. the best I've ever had. I love sour and I love Stout... and this one took it all the way ! It's hard to find and a bit expensive but sooo worth it ! It's my special day beer. Dark like a stout, but incredibly light tasting nearing an Ale in feel... Smell is very alluring, draws you in with a sour hint and then slaps you once you've put it in your mouth. Makes my mouth water... I've had others from the same brewer and they are all good, but the Stout is by far my favorite.

04-08-2014 21:01:24 | More by Ed2
coriswrasse

4.76/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - dark red hue, light body very little head, good carbonation

S - funky sweetness, subtle hints of chocolate and cherry

T - sour, tart, mild funky sweetness with hints of cherry or berries

M - light, well carbonated, it's a sipper

O - really love this beer. big sour fan so this fits my palette well. would buy again at 21.99 for a 1p 9.40z btl. the taste is like a dark sour. for those that like funky tongue pinching sour taste this is a must have.

a near perfect beer.

09-19-2013 00:10:51 | More by coriswrasse
MNishCT77

District of Columbia

4.71/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

750 mL bottle purchased at Connecticut Ave. Wine and Liquors in DuPont Circle, NW D.C., unknown bottling date (2013 edition), poured into my Rogue chalice, drank 9/20/13 over an hour.

A: 3/3 - dark brown coloration with hints of purple, minimal clarity (cannot see through), carbonation rocky on first pour but very quickly dissipates into subtle glass lacing , baby alcohol legs

S: 10/12 - wow, sour bomb on the aroma... vinegar, barnyard but no vomit here though admixed with some rich roasted malts...pretty unique!

T: 18/20 - on the anterior tongue, there's an immediate sourness - vinegar, spoiled cherries and rank biscuit; in the middle of the mouth, some of the vinous qualities start to rear their head probably from the oak aging; there's little alcohol to speak of; suffice it to say, I'm really impressed

M: 4/5 - moderate bodied and appropriately carbonated, I guess, for a sour stout...still totally new terrain for me

O: 9/10 - another solid offering from The Bruery, which continues to emerge as one of my favorite American breweries; they nail sours better than any other American brewery to my palate and this is another must have for fans of American wild ales; the combined stout and sour flavors are most amazing!

TOTAL = 44/50

09-22-2013 04:35:28 | More by MNishCT77
BastardKing24

Oregon

4.71/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a dark brown with a 1/2 finger head that becomes a ring quickly.

Smell is very tart, sour apples and cherries. Vinegar and lactic acid.

Taste is out of this world, so sour... I do love that about some sours they just pucker up your mouth and make it water. Green sour apples and cherries, maybe some funkiness, just a mouthwatering acidic punch, and I love it. Not much of any roastiness.

Feel is low to medium carbed and light on the palate. Very pleasing.

This is by far one of the best sours I've had, I think I like it more than Oude tart.

04-13-2014 03:57:03 | More by BastardKing24
brewtus

4.68/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A-Pours very very dark brown and sits black in the glass, small white head fades quickly.
S- lots of sour funk, sweet cherries, some roasty scents
T- starts with that sour cherry and grape flavor, , finishes with smoke, coffee, and some chocolate and caramel . Aftertaste is like chocolate covered cherries
M- thinner than a typical stout but thicker than a typical sour
O- one seriously awesome beer, I've never had a beer that transforms so much during a sip. The balance of malt and sour is surprisingly amazing and I am so glad I got to try this, def worth the price.

10-11-2013 00:38:59 | More by brewtus
shand

4.66/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This bottle haunted me for weeks at the local bottle shop. With a 20 dollar price tag staring me down, I kept passing it up. Finally, I had to give in. I knew I'd regret not picking it up. Tart of Darkness pours out a dark brown color with a tiny head. The aroma is absolutely awesome. It's got a strong tart cherry thing going on, along with oak and a vinegar sourness. The taste, again, is fantastic. It's extremely tart straight from the get-go, puckeringly so. There's a bit of roast in the background that quickly gets tossed out the window by a very tart lemon juice thing going on. The finish is lingeringly tart and sour. The mouthfeel is light and crisp, and the drinkability is fantastic. Overall, Tart of Darkness is one of my favorite sours I've had so far, and easily one of the best available in this cursed sour state of Florida.

01-30-2013 02:09:54 | More by shand
ngeunit1

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

A - Pours a dark black with just a hint of brown and a finger of frothy khaki-chocolate colored head. The head fades down fairly slowly leaving behind some lace.

S - Aroma is a mix of dark fruits with sour cherries, roasted chocolate and toffee malts, some oak, and a hint of coffee.

T - Starts off with mix of sour cherries and other sweet dark fruits with some roasted chocolate and caramel malts, and quite a bit of tartness. Through the middle, some oak flavors come through with some more chocolate and sourness. The finish is a mix of sourness, tartness, sour cherries, chocolate, and oak.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sour, tart, and sweet finish.

D - Very drinkable. Really nice dark sour beer. The tartness and sourness are nice and strong and balance really nicely with the stout base.

04-19-2012 06:07:36 | More by ngeunit1
brentk56

4.63/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Pours a fudge brown color with a modest amount of bubbling foam that quickly fades, leaving a ringlet; not much lacing

Smell: Sour cherry, with generous undertones of chocolate and oak, along with hints of coffee and smoke

Taste: The cherry flavors become increasingly tart as the beer is swirled across the tastebuds, releasing chocolate, oak, smoke and coffee elements; the acidity only increases, after the swallow, though the chocolate and roasted malt returns to add depth and the finish presents a hint of tobacco

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation and a moderate pucker factor

Overall: Just outstanding; really enjoyed the layers of flavor and the interesting approach to the style; easily my favorite beer from The Bruery

Thanks, nicks6217, for the opportunity

05-06-2012 18:24:31 | More by brentk56
bigfnjoe

4.63/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

A- pours black with a paper thin offwhite head that immediately fades.

S- dark cherries and a lot of barnyard funk. Oh yes

T- incredibly sour and viciously tart. Tons of dark cherries, oak, and leather come through with a vicious pucker.

M- medium bodied, on the thin side.

O- unreal beer. The price tag is outrageous (as you'd expect), but the beer is so good that you need to try it once.

03-25-2013 00:32:24 | More by bigfnjoe
Philousa

4.63/5  rDev +10%

Pours black, brown on the edges, like Coca Cola. Head is elusive, tan in color and dissipating quickly. I get lots of fruit , particularly berries. Mostly black, boysen, and other dark berries along with black currant. Hints of roastiness and slight caramel. No hops to speak of. Tart hits right away, then the roastiness. Some coffee, dry bakers chocolate. Hops are bright, actually, with pollen/nectar. Very well balanced in feel with a very dry finish.

This is just amazing. The roast works very well with the good amount of tart. Love the berries too, since its so prevalent and they taste/smell so juicy.

07-22-2013 21:21:27 | More by Philousa
pkalix

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

super dark, cannot see through it at all. very minimum head, light film-y layer of almost white around the edges.... but looks beautiful nonetheless.
smells sour. not getting any 'stout'-ness in the smell... could the sour be THAT overwhelming? would it even be worthwhile if it were?? smelly socks trump incense any day of the week . . . .
taste is . . . . . hmmm... distinctive stout taste at first, and at the finish, but the 'sour' permeates throughout. kind of like being with a hot chick who's spun out. you always get the hotness but then, you always get the frickin' drama too.... and, just ALSO like a hot chick, this is gonna need some time to sort out...
so, after the first sip, I can taste the stout qualities and they are good. they are refined. they are quality. but they are still 'tainted' with the sour. I feel like Sybil's psychologist. I get the stout. I get the sour. I just don't see how they can be married. kind of like that hot actress who married that goofy-assed country music dude. three sips in, i'm still unsettled and confused. I NEVER mix my sours and regular beers. just like I NEVER mix my beer and wine, or my tequila and beer. this is perplexing to me... I like sours, and I like stouts. I have NEVER had a sour stout. I've had a screwy ex-wife who exhibits the spectrum scale similar to a sour vs stout, and living with it was certainly not as pleasing as this, but i'm torn thus far on this brew. I must come to grips before I can rate it properly. of course, she IS an Ex-wife... maybe just living together would have been a better compromise? I mean, sex was good, but she spent all my money. the stout is good, but there just isn't enough of it.. the sour is good, but it's a very strong sour. if this is any indication of BLACK TUESDAY, I want ten of them! I cant review this brew. it defies all my logic. it's about as logical as me marrying that girl to begin with. i'm literally stunned. the stout part of it is so darn good, WHY would you mix it with a sour? like a happy divorce, i'll deal with this also. the beer is a good one. I just have a difficult time separating the good from the evil. not that either one is evil, but I think each was individually superior to begin with and the marriage is confusing... cheers!
I have been seriously tasting the barrel-aged stouts recently. I like the ghostly presence of the 'stout' I am tasting in this. the 'sour' just dominates. the bruery seems to do well 'blending' their brews and that has been successful for them. I really want to taste this stout by itself, or at least with something else less-intense than a 19% brew. the sour-stout was a great experiment, and I love this beer (I think) but I think making the Melange 3 with the Black Tuesday was a more 'pristine' act. kind of like marrying a catholic with a protestant, rather than a catholic with a muslim...

10-02-2013 00:05:18 | More by pkalix
PsilohsaiBiN

4.59/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Dark with a half finger head that regresses to be all but gone.

Smell: Sour oak, caramel, vanilla, cherries, pickle juice, vinegar.

Taste: Sour, as expected. Tart cherry and sour sweetness wreck the palate instantly. The chaos then magically disappears into a dry finish with some oak notes and smokiness in the background. This beer attacks your mouth and gives it a swift, powerful kick to the nuts before the experience is over. In this regard, this beer is intensely like no other I've had before.

Mouthfeel: Above average carbonation for a stout. The feel is nowhere close to as viscous as some stouts, but it's not notably deficient in the body department either.

Overall: This is a pretty intense brew. A roller coaster ride of flavor descends into a dry finish that may fatigue the faint of heart, if they're not careful. Would drink again, but would just like to have some forewarning...

12-16-2012 04:42:15 | More by PsilohsaiBiN
lordofstarside

Nevada

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

25oz bottle to a snifter, bottled 5/15/13

Pours nearly pitch black with dark red hues when held up to a bright LED. A half finger of white foam that receded into a frothy ring with no visible carbonation. Lacing doesn't seem too heavy, an alright looking beer

Smell is pretty complex. Tart cherries, apple, and dark fruits, vinegar, oak, chocolate, roasted coffee, caramel, bourbon, and alcohol. Very unique smelling beer, I know it's a sour stout but I never expected both those styles to be represented so distinctly. Sourness dominates for sure, but imperial stout notes aren't buried too far underneath.

Taste is with the nose- strong tart cherries and apple, as well as many other fruits followed by roast coffee and chocolate, oak, bourbon, vinegar, vanilla, with an incredible caramel and sweet fruity finish. Much like the nose, it's successfully fuses all sorts of sour and stout notes that somehow come together terrifically

Feel is strong sour upfront, bitter in the middle where the stout notes come in strongest, and sweet on the finish. Alcohol concealed well in the smell and taste, stupidly drinkable.

Overall I have no idea what the hell I'm drinking but it's incredibly complex and tasty. First sour stout experience definitely was a good one, going to have to pick up as many of these as possible while they're still on the shelves

12-01-2013 06:24:17 | More by lordofstarside
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Consumed Nov. 19, 2011 at Inaugural Bottle Share. From notes. Thanks tbadiuk!

A: Sure looks like a thin stout. Quite dark, though not even close to opaque. More like a dark ale. Pale ring of tan head.
S: Sourness dominates with strong flowery notes that seemed to lily flower. Interesting, and enjoyable.
T: Acetic and tart with a strong sourness . As time passes a lingering sweetness builds.
M: Sourness hammers the back of the mouth and stick on the tongue. Average carbonation.
O: If you had told me this was a stout and I was unable to see, I would question your sanity. Does this make it a bad beer? No. They could work towards incorporating more roasted notes in the future, but as it is this a great beer.

11-25-2011 04:22:47 | More by kjyost
vfgccp

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

A - Midnight black with trace ruby highlights. Thin khaki halo sits low with low retention and poor lace.

S - Bright, sour oak nose. Sweet Tarts candies, rice vinegar, copper, and fresh cut wood.

T - Holy crap that was not what I was expecting. Raw, bright, acidic lemon juice. Touch of agave sweetness. Crisp oak. Mouth-puckeringly deep sour center. Lemon rinds and a trace of caramel on the backed. Outrageous.

M - Light, crisp, and bracingly sour.

O - An awesome, uncompromising american wild. It's fresh lemonade with the sugar cut to 1/10th of the original recipe.

12-27-2012 23:57:55 | More by vfgccp
ESPNman

4.51/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Delirium Noel snifter.

A - Completely black. Jet, ink-black blackness. No head to speak of at all. No retention, no lacing.

S - When it first came out of the bottle, all I could smell was a lactic sour note that was overwhelming. As it warmed up a bit, some of the stout base came through. Still, that sour really overwhelms, but in a good way.

T - Wow. Overwhelming tartness. Cringe-inducing, eye-watering tartness. As it warms, some of the sweet stout notes come out. A little molasses, a bit of cocoa, and some earthy roasted malts. Finishes dry, and mouth puckeringly sour.

M - Good, dry, pretty thin, moderate carbonation.

O - This is a fantastic sour beer. It doesn't have the kind of vinegar-sweetness that something like Dutchess has. It's not a flanders-style sour. This is a wild ale, and it is a great representation of the style.

11-24-2013 04:19:36 | More by ESPNman