Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Tart Of Darkness - The Bruery

Tart Of DarknessTart Of Darkness

The Bruery visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: ajcobb24 on 06-22-2011

Batch 2 was aged in spent Black Tuesday barrels.
Reviews: 343 | Hads: 2,277

Maybe one of the best sours I've tasted. Wine like, even old wine like fruit with gobs of acidity leaning your palate and bringing you back for more. The aromas of red fruit and cherry and the perfect carbonation make this a top 10 all time sour. ;;;

This beer is perfection. Complex, strong from start to finish, biting acidity with huge, beautiful, full flavor to back it up. I would seriously trade one of my cousins for a bottle of this but we don't see each other very often so it's fine. Definitely not for the meek.

My boy Nevins came through with this bottle. We both agreed if you close your eyes you'd think this was a Cantillon. Some sort of blend between a stout and a Geuze. A black Geuze. Simply amazing. Not alot of barnyard funk in the nose as this is pretty young still but tons of sour. How did they do it? I'd say a bit more body than say Cantillon Geuze and a very faint (toffee) sweetness is hiding way in the corners. Wish I had more of this bad boy for the beer cellar.

Sour Stout? Yes please. I was sold before I even tasted it. Poured from bottle into snifter, appears light bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Roasted, chocolate aromas. First sip annihilates your tastebuds with a level of sour that would make a warhead's lips pucker. The chocolate/mocha flavors oddly pair nicely with the intense sour. Absolutely delicious.

Wow! One of my favorite beers but it has heavy Brett,Lacto and bourbon. Not for someone who doesn't like sours or barrel aged beers(20$-35$ 750ml)they offer a beer, Mélange 1, that is a similar beer but with bigger stout character. I prefer this because its so damn tart its like bourbon but sour. Just so full bodied and original, no style to even describe this masterpiece of a beer.

This is a review of the 2011 bottle I had the privilege to try at Society Member Monday. I was expecting a 'meh' beer, but it definitely was much better than I expected. I really wish I could get about 20 cases of this... please?

4.98/5  rDev +20%

A - Jet black with a thin tan head.

S - A pleasant smell of chocolate/coffee from the dark malt, and that awesome classic sour tart smell.

T - TART. Delicious cherry and fig notes. Vinegary finish with some berry notes. Nice little bourbon taste as well for an added bonus.

M - Thin body which was unexpected for the color of the beer. Moderate carbonation. Great feel and easy to drink.

D - The drinkability here is incredible. Wish I could drink this one every single day.

4.94/5  rDev +19%

Tart of darkness is by far a very sour beer,but a very tasty
one too! It pours out a very dark tart, with yeast sediments laid at the bottom of the bottle, (if poured correctly). Sours aren't for everyone as some lack the tastes for it, but if you want a top sour, this sour will make your pallet numb. I wouldn't pass a batch of this up, one for aging, one for drinking!

4.91/5  rDev +18.3%

April 2014 bottle. A - black with a hint of brown. Almost no head. Reminds me of coca-cola actually. N - sour cherries, apples, plums, maybe some muted vanilla, some roasted malts, plenty of oak barrel. T - sour cherries, plums, apples, roasted malt, a truckload of sourness and lots of oak barrel. M - a bit creamy, low carbonation, a sticky sweet sourness that coats the mouth and lingers. O - one of, if not my favorite beer. If I have any complaints, it is the sticky mouthfeel that lingers. Otherwise, it is my go to sour.

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Opening my first bottle of Bruery's Tart of Darkness I wasn't sure what I was going to think but I love all things sour and all things Bruery so I had to load up. This is amazing. It pours a dark, deep brown with a finger of head which quickly dissipates. The aroma is of sourness, almost vinegary. This is a truly sessionable stout, not huge like a certain other Bruery stout but if you love sours you would be able to drink this all night long. There is so much sourness going on that I don't get much else. There is some malt that is noticeable but this is largely about the sour. This is an amazing beer. I'm going to have to go back for whatever the Provisions store will let me buy.

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

A-very dark brown wih a thin tan head

S-wow! Smells super funky with dark fruits and some cocoa. Strong scent! Unique.

T-oh my. This is amazing! It comes in with a super sour taste of dark fruits and faint cocoa. Very sour! The after-taste is mostly dark roasted with a pretty good hint of coffee. This might be one of the most sour beers I've ever had.

M-heavy creamy carbonation with a dry finish

O-this pretty much just drinks like an American wild ale with a twist of darkness to it. It's freaking awesome!! It's good enough that I'm going out and buying a few more bottles if I can find them! Its awesome. The tastes are powerful and great tasting

4.87/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured into a tulip has a very quickly dissipating brown head with a dark black body and brown edges. Smell of of apple cider, tart cherries, peaches, vanilla, and oak. Tons of fresh fruit characteristic and a tangy sour that bites your nose. Taste is of sour apple cider, grapes juice, vanilla, and a slight end of oak. Fantastic, takes some time to adjust to the sour as it is powerful, but it is super smooth and juice like with lots of sweetness and just a bit dry. Medium mouth feel with a medium body. 2014 vintage.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Dark brown, translucent ale. Thin, off-white head with minimal retention or lacing. Typical for the style.

Tart vinegar, berry, slightly roasted aroma.

Assertive acid flavor but very well balanced with the mild roastiness, and smooth oak. Lots of berry, primarily black currants. As it warms, subtle sweet dark fruits notes begin to emerge. Prunes and blackberries come to mind. Very complex and super well balanced flavor.

Medium bodied. Dry feel. Makes the mouth water. Moderate carbonation.

Hard to tell this beer is a stout. The presence of roasted malt adds some wonderful dark flavors, although not as aggressive a roastiness as most stouts. Simplicity, subtlety and elegance are characteristics this beer brings to the table better than any stout and almost any sour ale I've ever tasted. Truly a boundary breaker and a testament to demonstrate where craft beer can go.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Cool light brown appearance, almost transluscent despite the dark color. Aroma was definitely tart, sour, salivation inducing. Stay around, you'll get the usual suspects in a stout aroma, chocolate, mild coffee, even a little wood, even though I don't think this was barreled. Might even be cherry and another citrus aroma/flavor to it. Very impressed.

Oh yeah, big ol' sour taste surges in the lead, the typical irish dry stout flavors follow, this is SO easy to drink, no alcohol, no massivity of most (but excellent) Bruery stouts. Very easy to drink, while complex, unique, and loveable. I dunno if its the sour component, but I'd swear this has the slightest touch of cherry to it. Its like a soured, sessionable, small beer version of Cherry Chocolate Rain. It ain't equal parts sour/stout, its sour first, stout later.

Pretty good deal to at ~$15 for a 750. Wish I bought more. This is my favorite new beer of 2011 so far.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz bomber poured into a tulip glass.

A: Thin head that is more fizzy carbonation than head. Deep plum coloring.

S: Prunes and cherry cola with hints of strawberry, alcohol, and charred tobacco.

T: Strong sweet and bitter flavors of dried fruit highlighted by prunes and apricots. Cherry cola slides around the tongue underneath the bitter flavors and shows its sweetness towards the end. Tart cherries really accelerate the acidity mid way through and blend into the malt.

M: Awesome mouth experience. Mix of sweetness and sour pucker right off the bat, relief provided by the carbonation and malt, then a return from the sour and sweetness. Bitterness backs off just enough and then swings back for the finale for a fun finish.

O: Alone in its class, in my opinion. La Folie and Crooked Stave are great wild / sour beers, but this is pretty darn close to a masterpiece.

4.79/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pours a dark cola with a full finger of matching sizzling, tan cola head. The nose is that same funky sour I usually get from a good Flanders. The sour really punches you in the mouth to start off. Late whispers of signature stout malt and richness climb on the back of the tartness and ride it out. The mouth is surprisingly clean. My first venture into this sour stout style and I love it!

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

Incredible... Mouth watering... saliva creating.. the best I've ever had. I love sour and I love Stout... and this one took it all the way ! It's hard to find and a bit expensive but sooo worth it ! It's my special day beer. Dark like a stout, but incredibly light tasting nearing an Ale in feel... Smell is very alluring, draws you in with a sour hint and then slaps you once you've put it in your mouth. Makes my mouth water... I've had others from the same brewer and they are all good, but the Stout is by far my favorite.

4.76/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - dark red hue, light body very little head, good carbonation

S - funky sweetness, subtle hints of chocolate and cherry

T - sour, tart, mild funky sweetness with hints of cherry or berries

M - light, well carbonated, it's a sipper

O - really love this beer. big sour fan so this fits my palette well. would buy again at 21.99 for a 1p 9.40z btl. the taste is like a dark sour. for those that like funky tongue pinching sour taste this is a must have.

a near perfect beer.

4.73/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Not sure when I had picked this one up but was excited to give it a try. Split it with my beer guru. Almost no head at all on this one but the smell was unreal, absolutely popped. Taste was awesome, but it will certainly make you pucker so you better like tart. An extremely enjoyable beer that is a must try and one I hope to enjoy again.

4.71/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

750 mL bottle purchased at Connecticut Ave. Wine and Liquors in DuPont Circle, NW D.C., unknown bottling date (2013 edition), poured into my Rogue chalice, drank 9/20/13 over an hour.

A: 3/3 - dark brown coloration with hints of purple, minimal clarity (cannot see through), carbonation rocky on first pour but very quickly dissipates into subtle glass lacing , baby alcohol legs

S: 10/12 - wow, sour bomb on the aroma... vinegar, barnyard but no vomit here though admixed with some rich roasted malts...pretty unique!

T: 18/20 - on the anterior tongue, there's an immediate sourness - vinegar, spoiled cherries and rank biscuit; in the middle of the mouth, some of the vinous qualities start to rear their head probably from the oak aging; there's little alcohol to speak of; suffice it to say, I'm really impressed

M: 4/5 - moderate bodied and appropriately carbonated, I guess, for a sour stout...still totally new terrain for me

O: 9/10 - another solid offering from The Bruery, which continues to emerge as one of my favorite American breweries; they nail sours better than any other American brewery to my palate and this is another must have for fans of American wild ales; the combined stout and sour flavors are most amazing!

TOTAL = 44/50

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a dark brown with a 1/2 finger head that becomes a ring quickly.

Smell is very tart, sour apples and cherries. Vinegar and lactic acid.

Taste is out of this world, so sour... I do love that about some sours they just pucker up your mouth and make it water. Green sour apples and cherries, maybe some funkiness, just a mouthwatering acidic punch, and I love it. Not much of any roastiness.

Feel is low to medium carbed and light on the palate. Very pleasing.

This is by far one of the best sours I've had, I think I like it more than Oude tart.

4.66/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A-Pours very very dark brown and sits black in the glass, small white head fades quickly.
S- lots of sour funk, sweet cherries, some roasty scents
T- starts with that sour cherry and grape flavor, , finishes with smoke, coffee, and some chocolate and caramel . Aftertaste is like chocolate covered cherries
M- thinner than a typical stout but thicker than a typical sour
O- one seriously awesome beer, I've never had a beer that transforms so much during a sip. The balance of malt and sour is surprisingly amazing and I am so glad I got to try this, def worth the price.

4.65/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This bottle haunted me for weeks at the local bottle shop. With a 20 dollar price tag staring me down, I kept passing it up. Finally, I had to give in. I knew I'd regret not picking it up. Tart of Darkness pours out a dark brown color with a tiny head. The aroma is absolutely awesome. It's got a strong tart cherry thing going on, along with oak and a vinegar sourness. The taste, again, is fantastic. It's extremely tart straight from the get-go, puckeringly so. There's a bit of roast in the background that quickly gets tossed out the window by a very tart lemon juice thing going on. The finish is lingeringly tart and sour. The mouthfeel is light and crisp, and the drinkability is fantastic. Overall, Tart of Darkness is one of my favorite sours I've had so far, and easily one of the best available in this cursed sour state of Florida.

4.64/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours black, brown on the edges, like Coca Cola. Head is elusive, tan in color and dissipating quickly. I get lots of fruit , particularly berries. Mostly black, boysen, and other dark berries along with black currant. Hints of roastiness and slight caramel. No hops to speak of. Tart hits right away, then the roastiness. Some coffee, dry bakers chocolate. Hops are bright, actually, with pollen/nectar. Very well balanced in feel with a very dry finish.

This is just amazing. The roast works very well with the good amount of tart. Love the berries too, since its so prevalent and they taste/smell so juicy.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%

A - Pours a dark black with just a hint of brown and a finger of frothy khaki-chocolate colored head. The head fades down fairly slowly leaving behind some lace.

S - Aroma is a mix of dark fruits with sour cherries, roasted chocolate and toffee malts, some oak, and a hint of coffee.

T - Starts off with mix of sour cherries and other sweet dark fruits with some roasted chocolate and caramel malts, and quite a bit of tartness. Through the middle, some oak flavors come through with some more chocolate and sourness. The finish is a mix of sourness, tartness, sour cherries, chocolate, and oak.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sour, tart, and sweet finish.

D - Very drinkable. Really nice dark sour beer. The tartness and sourness are nice and strong and balance really nicely with the stout base.

Tart Of Darkness from The Bruery