Tart Of Darkness - The Bruery

Tart Of DarknessTart Of Darkness

The Bruery visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Batch 2 was aged in spent Black Tuesday barrels.

(Beer added by: ajcobb24 on 06-22-2011)
4.34/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: A very dark brown beer with a garnet hue and good clarity. The persistent head is composed of creamy tan bubbles.

S: The dominate aroma is a tart fruit character of red currents and cassis with an acidic quality backing that up. There is a faint aroma of dark fruit and dark malt aroma having a cocoa character to it.

T: An aggressive, acidic and tartness and strong red currents fruitiness with light flavors of the stout dark malt. There isn't much to say about hops in here nor malt, although the fruit is juicy and refreshing. The balance is very sour and the finish is very dry.

M: A light bodied beer with strong carbonation and a faint bit of warmth.

O: This ones about as tart as they come with a strong acidic bit and good bit of fruitiness, sort of Flanders Red that come of the rails except that there is some stout character to back up the flavors. The sour stout is quickly becoming my favorite style thanks in part to the few exceptional brewers making the style.

MadScientist, Sep 13, 2013
4.98/5  rDev +18%

A - Jet black with a thin tan head.

S - A pleasant smell of chocolate/coffee from the dark malt, and that awesome classic sour tart smell.

T - TART. Delicious cherry and fig notes. Vinegary finish with some berry notes. Nice little bourbon taste as well for an added bonus.

M - Thin body which was unexpected for the color of the beer. Moderate carbonation. Great feel and easy to drink.

D - The drinkability here is incredible. Wish I could drink this one every single day.

Kjanisch7, Jun 27, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

cletusdog, Today at 06:50 AM

tally, Today at 03:37 AM
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

FaradayUncaged, Today at 01:29 AM

Clemskis, Yesterday at 05:46 AM

A: Pours dark brown and opaque. The a light tan head forms and dies.

S: The tart sour aromas are evident from across the room. Not getting much else than musky sourness.

T: Wow, very tart and acidic. Has a very dry finish leaving a sensation in your mouth like when you drink unsweetened cranberry juice. Not much malt, hop or other stout characteristics that I can detect. Super sour.

M: Light bodied, modestly carbonated with a super dry finish.

O: This bear is too sour for me. I enjoy sours but I am looking for other flavors too. This might be a fun refresher on a hot hot summer day, but I could not drink this in quantity. Honestly after a half-pint the acidity was getting to my stomach and I drain poured the rest. I do not understand why beers like this are almost always found in bombers, in smaller quantities I might have some interest, but this is just too much.

Sorry if my score seems too harsh. This beer is not badly executed for what it is, but it is just not for me. It would like to have seen the sourness glanced with some stout characteristics.

imscotty, Friday at 11:32 PM

Lucoli, Friday at 11:19 PM
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

miffsudd, Friday at 04:21 PM
4.09/5  rDev -3.1%

$20 bottle. Bottled 4/24/14 and poured 11/20/14. The bottle says the fresher the better, so we'll see. I hadn't seen this specific beer at my bottle shop before, and I read some great things about it, so I made the plunge.

Appearance: Aggressive pour gave a super loud hiss of carbonation with a little dark brown head that fizzled away faster than I've ever seen in a beer -- left is no sign of carbonation. It sits in the glass looking like fruit juice. Held to light, this is a ruby black color with perfect clarity.

Smell: Talk about an aroma hard as hell to describe. I can pick up notes of... everything. First and foremost, obviously, yeasty funk. After that, I'm picking up -- or imagining -- all sorts of things: grapes, dates, red wine, maraschino cherries, leather. It's just really hard to accurately describe this beer's aroma. I will say that I don't think it smells like a stout much at all. I guess if I really think about it I can pick up an essence of chocolate or something like that, but in a blind tasting, I probably wouldn't pick up on that aroma.

Taste/feel: Just call it Tart of Tartness. Hits the tongue with a moderate mouthfeel all-around -- the carbonation works nicely with the sourness as a way to get the salivary glands going. The taste is about identical to the aroma, I think, with the grapes, red wine, maraschino cherries, and yes, leather. The "essence of chocolate" thing doesn't come through at all in the flavor of this beer though. The sourness is reasonably high on this beer, but it's not the sourest beer I've had. The sourness/tartness is reminiscent of cranberry juice, I think. Tart of Darkness still has a good punch of it though (naturally), and it's got a super dry finish.

I'm left a little bummed out. Maybe I'm just getting a little annoyed with Bruery's pricing, or I'm just expecting too much. Whatever it is, I think people are overrating this beer a little bit just because it's their way of trying to compensate for the price they paid for this beer. It's a great beer, but the price is just too high for me to seek it out again. Where are the stout characteristics? They're basically nowhere to be found. I was intrigued by the idea of a sour stout, but this doesn't taste like one at all. It's a very good beer I'd probably recommend to others to at least try, but again, the price makes it too high to make it worth returning to -- at least for the next few years. And whenever I do get it again, I'll be aging it a couple years or so to see how it turns out.

Alextricity, Thursday at 08:40 PM

wiescins, Tuesday at 04:25 AM
3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

Techichi, Monday at 08:46 PM
3.08/5  rDev -27%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Consumed from a recent vintage bottle on November 17th, 2014. Poured into a Bruery tulip (hey, proper glassware!). Serving temperature: 50 degrees F.

Beer pours more or less black. A heavy pour is required to coax a head out of this brew. The resulting half-finger of off-white foam does not stick around long and soon the glass is totally bereft of all traces of a head. No legs in evidence. Beer is very still in glass.

Aroma is sour cherries. Period, full stop. I really didn't get anything at all from it but an acidic sour fruitiness.

Flavor is tart (surprise!). Think of Popeye and that's probably what I looked like drinking this. Aside form the assertive, acidic sourness, there is a very mild note chocolate from the dark malts. Low/no bitterness. The flavor is very one-dimensional, though no flaws are in evidence.

Mouthfeel is still and slightly thin.

I'm surprised by all the love for this beer. I found it to be drinkable but not much else. If the stout character was more evident, then this beer may have been more interesting. As it is, I finished the bottle myself but I don't think I'll be buying this one again.

charlzm, Monday at 07:01 PM