Tart Of Darkness - The Bruery

Tart Of DarknessTart Of Darkness

The Bruery visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Batch 2 was aged in spent Black Tuesday barrels.

(Beer added by: ajcobb24 on 06-22-2011)
TMoney2591

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

My man Ryan was raving about this beer, so I felt I just had to grab a bottle while I still could, if for no other reason than to see what the hubbub was about. It pours a deep black-sienna, nearly completely opaque, topped by a fleeting half-finger of tan foam. The nose comprises cocoa powder, vinegar, tart berries, light roasted malts, and a touch of maple syrup way in the back. The taste leads with the vinegar, rolls seamlessly into some tart berries and fruits (lots o' lemon on the back-end), then, just when you think this is just some sour, some roast and cocoa soften things up a bit before a haymaker of slightly metallic tartness finishes things off. Animality! The body is a straight medium, with a moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda drying finish. Overall, a decidedly enjoyable sour stout, possibly the best of the genre I've yet had.

10-16-2012 01:13:45 | More by TMoney2591

New Hampshire

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for sharing this beer

Consumed 10/13/12

Appearance: Dark brown, pours with an off-white head - retains a nice ring, leaves some streaks of lacing

Smell: Sour and tart - lactic with some acidity - it looks very dark, but it actually smells like it could be lighter - mostly caramel and amber malts - dark fruits, like cherries and applies

Taste: A sour stout that tastes good? I thought this was impossible - tart and sour - lactic and acidic sourness - very puckering - dark and roasty notes, with some caramel - some chocolate and coffee - dark fruits, like cherry skins and apple peels - some woody oak as well

Mouthfeel: Medium body, nicely carbonated, nicely puckering

Overall: This is way better than I could have expected

This is the best sour stout I've ever had. Serious bonus points for this. And it might be the best beer I've ever had from The Bruery. It's nicely sour, nicely tart, and has a nice malt base. Well done.

10-13-2012 21:39:27 | More by angrybabboon

Indiana

10-12-2012 01:37:22 | More by bgramels
TexIndy

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip glass. No bottling info that I could find. It was a dark brown color with ruby edges. It had an average sized bubbly head that quickly settled into a think collar. Massive surface action in the center with the carb streams from the etching. Slight lacing with none sticking.

The aroma is heavy on sour cherry, lactic acid and oak with hints of chocolate and roasted malt in the back if you really sniff for them. You can smell the sour bit that is to come. And there it is! The taste is heavy sour with a sharp tart bite. Good accents of oak and chocolate as well. Really good tasting sour that will have you puckering the whole time. Light to medium mouthfeel with sharp tart bite and loads of carbonation.

Overall, an excellent wild ale that will definitely satisfy your tart urges. Highly recommend if you like tart. Not avail here - got from Hoss! Rotation - wish I could get some more to age as I'd like to see how it develops.

10-12-2012 01:32:17 | More by TexIndy

10-10-2012 00:37:45 | More by uziangis
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

I decided to just pop this thing on a whim tonight.

Served in a Mad Elf glass.

A: Poured about as black as a stout gets, with a nice 1/2 finger mocha ring around the brew.

S: I smelled the sourness from the second the cap came off. I dug deeper and got lots of pepper and oak. As the marketing speak dictated, this smelled roasty for sure. Pretty awesome.

T: Sour, and it was cool it hit the back of my throat in such an amazing way. I thought I would get malt from this, but that wasn't the case. I got only a hint of chocolate here...

M: Acidic, but not too much. I didn't get any dark roasty malt (in the traditional sense). No lacing, but that's not what this bastard was about.

O: By far, the best Oaked sour stout I've tried... but it was my first also

10-09-2012 04:24:19 | More by Chaney
justintcoons

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured into a wine glass.

Appearance
Opaque black with some heavy carbonation trailing up the side. The 1-2 fingers of heady rapidly dissipates to nothing.

Nose
Balsamic vinegar, lactic acid, black cherry and touches of coffee-esque notes (you really have to search for those.)

Taste
Big lactic sourness, lemon juice and hints of raspberry. Cherry Jolly Ranchers, balsamic vinegar and touches of French oak. There also seems to be a little bit of concord grape and black currant. There is really no roasted malt present at all.

Mouthfeel
Light-medium bodied and mouth puckering.

Overall
Surprisingly sour but unfortunately loses all Stout qualities. Good sour, bad Stout.

10-08-2012 18:22:53 | More by justintcoons
Dennoman

2.8/5  rDev -33.6%

Bottle from a trade, shared with the guys. Great evening again! 2012 bottling, so not the Provisions Series.

A: Looks adequate for a stout. Nice and dark, light frothy head.

S: Very interesting. The biggest thing I get from the smell is charred toast. And I mean charred, not just burnt. Best described as a mix between toasted bread and charcoal.

T: Mostly acidity throughout most of the actual taste and swallow, but slight malty bitterness pops up at the very beginning. Not hugely complex, even slightly unpleasant.

M: Chalky, quite unpleasantly sour.

O: I guess this is a perfect manifestation of the morbid American fascination with all things sour. In this case (gratuitous pun inbound!) I guess it all turned a little sour. All in all a little too extreme for what I think they were going for. Good effort, but that's just about everything I can say really.

10-08-2012 11:27:25 | More by Dennoman
jbaker67

10-08-2012 00:00:29 | More by jbaker67
smonice

3.35/5  rDev -20.6%

This is my first review and unfortunately it isn't a good one. I bought this bottle after reading all of the hype just to give it a try. I guess when I read tart, I thought it wasn't going to completely overpower the "beer" taste.

As soon as it my mouth, it felt as if I had a mouth full of those sour warhead candies. It lingered for a few seconds and then the finish was rather smooth. At that point I couldn't taste anything else but the tartness. I guess it is an acquired taste.

A: Very dark color with little head and lacing.

S: The smell was very good and did not prepare me for the tartness to come.

T: Super sour up front and mellow at the end.

M: Moderate carbonation.

O: Not my thing but definitely opened my eyes to a different class of beer.

10-07-2012 23:59:01 | More by smonice

N3ptune

10-07-2012 21:28:25 | More by N3ptune
VelvetExtract

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%

A-Pours a solid dark black color. Head is mocha and initially well built. It quickly pops away to only an outer ring connected to an inner Pangaea of foam. Manages to laces pretty well despite the mild head. When held up to the light, the beer's outermost sectioning is brown. Then it slowly fades to black.

S-Cool! Semi-lactic with tart cherry. Tart chocolate with cold coffee. The polar-opposite aromas blend together very nicely. Roasted, oaky and a bit burnt; the dark characteristics are a great pairing with the sour, wooded cherry notes.

T-The flavor is very tart and pleasing. Milk chocolate and lighter roasted coffee piggyback behind the sourness. Unripened blackberries aid the cherries. The oaken jacket holds all the flavors together. I am very happy with the level of sourness. The flavor is tart > roasty. I applaud the sourness for winning the flavor battle. They really made it work here; the flavors augment one another. I dare say I could use a bit more roasted character in the flavor (splitting hairs).

M-Possesses wine-like tannic properties. Fuzzy (teeth in socks) feel. Body is creamy but far from heavy. Carbonation adds to the fuzzy feel. Tartness lingers and lingers. Goes down with shocking finesse.

O/D-For $21 bucks (750 ml) this better be a damn good beer. It delivered. It nearly reached my "Top-Tier" level but fell just short. I found it to be delectable, but it ever-so-slightly faltered in terms of depth and complexity. Regardless, I will blow this back and be happy. Quite the gem.

10-06-2012 20:28:14 | More by VelvetExtract