2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tart Of Darkness - The Bruery

Tart Of DarknessTart Of Darkness

The Bruery visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Batch 2 was aged in spent Black Tuesday barrels.

(Beer added by: ajcobb24 on 06-22-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,402 | Reviews: 283 | Show All Ratings:
magictacosinus

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Consumed at the sour tasting that I organized with friends. Split with many people. Thanks for the bottle, Ken! Poured into a tulip glass from a 750ml bottle. 2013 vintage, which is boozier than the last ones. The Bruery making low gravity beers? Ha ha! It's a funny thought.

Yup, this is definitely a stout, as immediately proven in the appearance. Blackened and dark in nature, with a little bit of reddish hues against the sides of the glass. Pours a a decent off-white head that eventually settles down into pretty much nothing. Viscous in nature, although I'm curious how this is any different from the lower ABV vintages. Still, is very vinous except for the color (which is also a bit hazy), and leaves a good deal legs against the glass. All of the Bruery's beers look good for the most part. This is no exception.

Hello, sourness! Very tart at the front, and the combination of the sour phenols with the roasted character of the stout is really intriguing and different. There are immediate black fruits, ranging from blackberries to plums, as well as blueberries from the soured notes. A cherry or apple-like acetic acidity is highly present, but it further accentuates the fruity flavors. Finishes with a roasted coffee/cocoa nib characteristic that is really lovely. Lots of spices permeate here, ranging from nutmeg to vanilla, but it's all about the funk in this one. It works because it has a strong malty backbone and woody texture that glues it together and keeps it from falling apart.

The flavor is on the same level of quality as the aroma, if not even more unique and well assembled. Big soured notes from the oak and wild strains immediately coat the palate and give the impression of soured cherries and blueberries. Blackcurrant and figs are also big, but the dark tart fruits are definitely winning here. These flavors meld with the roasted character from the stout, as well as the oaky caramel flavor, to produce something that tastes just like a chocolate covered cherry or blackberry of sorts, which is slightly sweet, creamy, and juicy. The texture is thickened from the extra booze and malts, and overall, it's an extremely balanced sour - but, in a sense, it appears to transcend the style at hand with the diversity of flavors.

I've found that the Bruery is really good with their stouts and sours overall, as well as emulating their favorite pastries into the beer format. This does all three quite well, and I'm wondering if the extra booze on this vintage increased the sweetness and in the process enhanced a lot of the malty and fruity nuances that this beer has always had. This was unbelievably refreshing to drink after a sequence of oppressive and mediocre sours that night. Fantastic stuff - I'm cellaring a bottle and can't wait to see what it turns into by next year.

10-11-2013 19:03:53 | More by magictacosinus
spoony

Colorado

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From a 750 ml bottle into a tulip.

A-The brew is nearly black with just a slight ruby highlight towards the edge of the glass.The head is short-lived and reaches maybe a finger in height. The head is medium brown in color. I can see a few bubbles of tiny carbonation clinging to the glass.

S-The smell is massively sour with cherries and grape being dominant. There is a bit of cocoa and roast underneath, but much less roast than you might expect for a sour "stout." It smells a bit like a sour oud bruin dusted with cocoa powder.

T-The taste is also massively sour (and, if I remember correctly, my bottle is almost a year old, so I would imagine the sour might be even more puckering on a new bottle). Again, I taste cherries and grapes. Also, lemon-juice-like acidity, as well as a bit of drying tannic oakiness, with just a hint of cocoa and roasted malt.

M-The feel is light for a stout, moderate to heavy for a wild ale. Carbonation levels are moderate.

O-If you like it sour, this is a good beer. If you want your stout to have a kick of funk or sour bite, maybe look elsewhere, because this thing is heavy on pucker and light on roasty malt. In fact, even though I like my beers sour, this is almost too much...to the point that it is a bit simple and not complex enough. But still, I enjoy this beer, I like the grape/cherry combo and there is just enough "stout" character to keep it from being a complete stomach-burning monster.

10-11-2013 01:00:07 | More by spoony
brewtus

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A-Pours very very dark brown and sits black in the glass, small white head fades quickly.
S- lots of sour funk, sweet cherries, some roasty scents
T- starts with that sour cherry and grape flavor, , finishes with smoke, coffee, and some chocolate and caramel . Aftertaste is like chocolate covered cherries
M- thinner than a typical stout but thicker than a typical sour
O- one seriously awesome beer, I've never had a beer that transforms so much during a sip. The balance of malt and sour is surprisingly amazing and I am so glad I got to try this, def worth the price.

10-11-2013 00:38:59 | More by brewtus
MarkJBurch

4.19/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've been excited for this one. 2013 Edition, served at cellar temperature. Pours a dark brown, black once in the glass. Head dissipates quickly, at first it looks as if I'm pouring a Coke.

The nose is wonderful, tart, my mouth has begun to water and I have yet to take a sip. Vinous, dark fruit, faint roast.

The slightest roast nuances are masked behind a sensational sourness, lactic acid really awakens the pallet. Dark fruit, plum, cherry and chocolate perhaps, hard to tell what hides behind the overwhelming tartness.

Dry finish, on the thin side, carbonation is spot on. But let's move past the mouth and down to my chest where I can feel the heartburn already coming on. Chestfeel, yeesh.

I'm happy with it, usually when I drink a sour my mouth becomes acquainted and we move past the initial pucker. I'm at the end of my first glass and I think I just had a shiver run through me, whoa. Prior to this, the only sour stout I had tried was Funk Metal from Jester King, which was solid, and had more characteristics of a stout. This however is very sour, I'm reminded that it's a stout solely by the color of the beer in my glass.

10-06-2013 22:55:54 | More by MarkJBurch
pkalix

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

super dark, cannot see through it at all. very minimum head, light film-y layer of almost white around the edges.... but looks beautiful nonetheless.
smells sour. not getting any 'stout'-ness in the smell... could the sour be THAT overwhelming? would it even be worthwhile if it were?? smelly socks trump incense any day of the week . . . .
taste is . . . . . hmmm... distinctive stout taste at first, and at the finish, but the 'sour' permeates throughout. kind of like being with a hot chick who's spun out. you always get the hotness but then, you always get the frickin' drama too.... and, just ALSO like a hot chick, this is gonna need some time to sort out...
so, after the first sip, I can taste the stout qualities and they are good. they are refined. they are quality. but they are still 'tainted' with the sour. I feel like Sybil's psychologist. I get the stout. I get the sour. I just don't see how they can be married. kind of like that hot actress who married that goofy-assed country music dude. three sips in, i'm still unsettled and confused. I NEVER mix my sours and regular beers. just like I NEVER mix my beer and wine, or my tequila and beer. this is perplexing to me... I like sours, and I like stouts. I have NEVER had a sour stout. I've had a screwy ex-wife who exhibits the spectrum scale similar to a sour vs stout, and living with it was certainly not as pleasing as this, but i'm torn thus far on this brew. I must come to grips before I can rate it properly. of course, she IS an Ex-wife... maybe just living together would have been a better compromise? I mean, sex was good, but she spent all my money. the stout is good, but there just isn't enough of it.. the sour is good, but it's a very strong sour. if this is any indication of BLACK TUESDAY, I want ten of them! I cant review this brew. it defies all my logic. it's about as logical as me marrying that girl to begin with. i'm literally stunned. the stout part of it is so darn good, WHY would you mix it with a sour? like a happy divorce, i'll deal with this also. the beer is a good one. I just have a difficult time separating the good from the evil. not that either one is evil, but I think each was individually superior to begin with and the marriage is confusing... cheers!
I have been seriously tasting the barrel-aged stouts recently. I like the ghostly presence of the 'stout' I am tasting in this. the 'sour' just dominates. the bruery seems to do well 'blending' their brews and that has been successful for them. I really want to taste this stout by itself, or at least with something else less-intense than a 19% brew. the sour-stout was a great experiment, and I love this beer (I think) but I think making the Melange 3 with the Black Tuesday was a more 'pristine' act. kind of like marrying a catholic with a protestant, rather than a catholic with a muslim...

10-02-2013 00:05:18 | More by pkalix
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I wasn't going to review this beer till I took the first sip, then I knew it really deserved a full review.

I have had a few sour stouts in the past and wasn't all that impressed but for $22 a bottle I hope this one bucks the trend.

A short head of nougat brown climbs to about a half an inch then quickly fades to just a skim. Body is a consistent silky black that yields no light.

Nose is distinctly sour with tones of dark fruit on the tart side instead of overly sweet.

From first sip there is nothing that hardly resembles a stout except the darkness. Super tartness attacks the tongue right off the bat. Dark fruits like black cherry, plum, and black berry come through and really set the stage. The sour feel stays long and consistent throughout the entire pallet. There is only a hint of roastiness that comes through once the sour subsides a bit. Really nicely sour and very tasty.

Mouthfeel is incredibly dry and sour.

Overly a exceptional sour beer and by far the best sour stout I have ever had.

09-29-2013 00:12:01 | More by SPLITGRIN
MighHighBrewer

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a very dark brown color bordering on black. Reminds me of dark coffee. A one-inch head comes on strong after the initial pour and lasts about 1 minute. Good lacing.

S: Lacto sour smells dominate the nose with Brett funkiness lingering in the background. Notes of roasted cofee, chocolate, blackberry, and pepper are also noticeable. A complex, interesting, and inviting smell. Very well done.

T: Sour notes up-front - green apple, citrus fruits, etc - with a healthy malt backbone. Mild funk. Really, this is your typical Bruery sour taste with one large difference: the sweet maltiness that interplays with the sour notes. The balance between the two is managed quite well - one does not dominate the other. That being said, a beer like this is an acquired taste.

O: This is an interesting take on a wild sour beer. It's sweeter and more "full" than your typical light sour beer without being overly malty. That being said, this isn't every sour-heads cup-of-tea. It doesnt have the oak barrel notes that other sours typically have, and I missed that in this beer. Overall, I think Bruery accomplished what it set out to do.

09-22-2013 22:11:07 | More by MighHighBrewer
MacQ32

South Carolina

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a really muddied deep dark mahogany color into my oversize HF wine style glass. Lacing is nearly non existant, only a thing outer ring around the perimeter. Minimal lacing, but existent. Retention N/A

S - Sourness/tart up front but definitely a roasty smokey undertone (that is mostly dominated by the tartness) as well. Simple but really inviting aroma.

T - Very very sour/tasrt up front, light roasty and chocolatey/molasses qualities peak through at times but sourness definitely dominates throughout. Aftertaste is very tart, almost horseradishy type flavor, smokeyness eventually kicks in as well. Sourness steals the show at ~40 degrees, will let it warm up and reivisit this if necessary.

M - Very light bodied for a stout, doesnt really feel like a stout at all but the body goes very well with the sour nature of the brew.

O - Really fantastically tart and sour brew with light, overpowered, stout flavors.

09-22-2013 21:38:44 | More by MacQ32
MNishCT77

District of Columbia

4.71/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

750 mL bottle purchased at Connecticut Ave. Wine and Liquors in DuPont Circle, NW D.C., unknown bottling date (2013 edition), poured into my Rogue chalice, drank 9/20/13 over an hour.

A: 3/3 - dark brown coloration with hints of purple, minimal clarity (cannot see through), carbonation rocky on first pour but very quickly dissipates into subtle glass lacing , baby alcohol legs

S: 10/12 - wow, sour bomb on the aroma... vinegar, barnyard but no vomit here though admixed with some rich roasted malts...pretty unique!

T: 18/20 - on the anterior tongue, there's an immediate sourness - vinegar, spoiled cherries and rank biscuit; in the middle of the mouth, some of the vinous qualities start to rear their head probably from the oak aging; there's little alcohol to speak of; suffice it to say, I'm really impressed

M: 4/5 - moderate bodied and appropriately carbonated, I guess, for a sour stout...still totally new terrain for me

O: 9/10 - another solid offering from The Bruery, which continues to emerge as one of my favorite American breweries; they nail sours better than any other American brewery to my palate and this is another must have for fans of American wild ales; the combined stout and sour flavors are most amazing!

TOTAL = 44/50

09-22-2013 04:35:28 | More by MNishCT77
brewskifan55

Mississippi

4.04/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured into a snifter

A: black with a half finger tan head. Minimal lacing.

S: like a box of Sweet-tarts, mingling with cherries

T: what an interesting blend of tart and stout. The first rush is tart apples and pears that makes me pucker with joy. Now comes the second wave of light chocolate malts that smooths out the tartness. A freaky good blend.

M: light to medium with light carbonation.

O: I really enjoyed this wild ale. The Bruery prides itself on oddly delicious brews and this one ranks on the "recommended" list.

09-20-2013 15:16:15 | More by brewskifan55
coriswrasse

4.76/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - dark red hue, light body very little head, good carbonation

S - funky sweetness, subtle hints of chocolate and cherry

T - sour, tart, mild funky sweetness with hints of cherry or berries

M - light, well carbonated, it's a sipper

O - really love this beer. big sour fan so this fits my palette well. would buy again at 21.99 for a 1p 9.40z btl. the taste is like a dark sour. for those that like funky tongue pinching sour taste this is a must have.

a near perfect beer.

09-19-2013 00:10:51 | More by coriswrasse
Givemebeer

Vermont

2.35/5  rDev -44%

Bottle share. Poured into a snifter with high hopes.

A: Looks ok. Deep, dark amber color with a small tan head not much lacing.

S: Sour. Apple, pear.

T: Excuse me, but isn't this a sour stout? Where are the roasted malts? Where's the coffee? Chocolate? The sour taste is nice but the wild yeast completely takes over and smacks you in the face leaving no room for the so called "stout."

M: Too thin. When I think stout - I want something full bodied and thick. Not watery like this is.

O: Disgraceful. Don't call this a sour stout and charge $23 a bottle. If this were a regular sour I could understand but this was devoid of any stout qualities. Ridiculously overpriced. Pass on this for the love of God.

09-17-2013 07:17:20 | More by Givemebeer
hagbergl

Maryland

4.34/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The Bruery always turns out great sour ales, so this made the perfect selection for a birthday beer. I'm looking forward to this review.

Appearance (3.25/5): Black as night. Visibly highly carbonated. My problem with the appearance is that the head fizzles away in about two seconds as if it were a soda. Not so wonderful. It looks like an ordinary stout or porter after the initial pour. But it's a "meh" looking kind of beer.

Smell (4.25/5): Holy crap, this smells interesting. Lactic sour aromas, tart apple, dark berry (blackberry and cranberry) aromas and just a hint of chocolate and roast.

Taste (4.5/5): Huge pop of bitterness from the start. Apple, raspberry, cranberry, blackberry. Resolves with the flavor of a raspberry chocolate candy. Delicious. Every so often I get chocolate and roasted malt flavors on the way across the tongue. Mixes Flanders red ale flavors with stout effectively, which is a serious accomplishment to say the least.

Mouthfeel (4.5/5): Seriously puckering. Vigorous carbonation. Medium-light body. Smooth. What worries the fizzling head inspired for the way the body of this beer would fare are instantly assuaged. An excellent sipping beer.

Overall (4.25/5): The Bruery strikes again. Another really good sour ale. Not quite as jaw-droppingly incredible as Oude Tart and Sour in the Rye, it is still a very well-crafted, inventive American Wild Ale that blends two disparate styles in a really tasteful (and tasty) way. Very good and worth the high price, in my opinion.

09-15-2013 18:12:45 | More by hagbergl
eric5bellies

Australia

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Drank with my beer buddies Anthony, Andrew and Joel

A - Pours a oily dark cola colour, not much head

S - Cherry cola, dark chocolate quad like aromas and tartness.

T - All acid up front with lacto and aceto. Fruit and cherry mid palate, back palate is cheery ripe and black forest flavours. The finish is vineous oud bruin notes.

M - Medium body with low carbonation, acidity last all the way through.

O - This is like a gudenband on steroids. very interesting and I hope to get to try again.

09-14-2013 09:49:54 | More by eric5bellies
MadScientist

4.34/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: A very dark brown beer with a garnet hue and good clarity. The persistent head is composed of creamy tan bubbles.

S: The dominate aroma is a tart fruit character of red currents and cassis with an acidic quality backing that up. There is a faint aroma of dark fruit and dark malt aroma having a cocoa character to it.

T: An aggressive, acidic and tartness and strong red currents fruitiness with light flavors of the stout dark malt. There isn't much to say about hops in here nor malt, although the fruit is juicy and refreshing. The balance is very sour and the finish is very dry.

M: A light bodied beer with strong carbonation and a faint bit of warmth.

O: This ones about as tart as they come with a strong acidic bit and good bit of fruitiness, sort of Flanders Red that come of the rails except that there is some stout character to back up the flavors. The sour stout is quickly becoming my favorite style thanks in part to the few exceptional brewers making the style.

09-13-2013 01:00:38 | More by MadScientist
JonBarrowman

1.93/5  rDev -54%

I got this as my first sour beer so please keep that in mind in relation to what follows.

a - It appears opaque and a little cloudy around the edges.

s - Smells like a wine, with a slight vinegar smell and a mix of other things I can't put into words.

t - This is where I have a problem, it tastes like vinegar, I don't know if there was a stout or cherries in there somewhere but I didn't find them. It was somewhat unpleasant.

m - Nothing I can think of.

This is my first sour beer and was certainly not what I expected after reading reviews here. Maybe someone can recommend something more amenable as an introduction into the world of sour beers for someone hesitant to try and select on their own again.

09-12-2013 22:41:48 | More by JonBarrowman
cbutova

4.16/5  rDev -1%

Been meaning to review this one for ages. Finally got it on-tap Saturday at Dive Bar in Worcester. Reviewed from notes.

A- Black bodied ale poured from the taps to a goblet. Appears thin like a vinegar but not surprising because of the use of wild bugs outside of Sacch. Still very opaque nonetheless. Silky tan ring after a small foamy head falls down fairly quickly. Spotty webs of lace fall down the glass as I drink it.

S- Mostly a mix of lactic, acetic acidity that has a bit of a red fruit feel to it. You can tell this one will be pretty sour but it is inviting with just a bit of roast malts and cocoa behind it.

T- Moderately sour lactic and vinegar acids up front with sour cherries and stout in the finish. Reminds me of lemons at times with a smooth roasty grain bill beneath the sourness. Toasted nuts and cocoa hints from the grains.

MF- Foamy highly carbonated light, fairly dry body. Sour level grows to near some fruit Lambics but not puckering to me.

Big lactic flavors and pretty sour but the stout aspect comes through enough to make it super interesting. These flavors somehow work out and blend rather than being a mess like some might imagine from a sour stout.

09-12-2013 00:59:51 | More by cbutova
drbenderdo

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass. Midnight black color with a rapidly disapating head leaving behind no trace on the glass.

S: Big blast of sour tart cherry smacks your olfactory glands; nothing else sneaking past

T: Tart, sour cherry blasts the palate immediately; after the sour assult fades, a nice, oaky finish completes the swallow

M: Medium body, nicely carbonated, abv makes it way too easy to polish this off

O: First offering from the highly reguarded Bruery, and not disappointed. It delivers exactly as promised: dark and tart. Will admit, big fan of sour beers in general and will surely drink this again.

09-11-2013 22:35:40 | More by drbenderdo
taylor714914

3.35/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Pours a thin black color, mixing deep browns in with it with no head

Smells lactic and slightly roasted as well as a hint of astringency.

Taste is interesting.  Out of the bottle, this was a completely one dimensional beer.  On tap, it is a 1.5 dimensional beer.  It starts with lactic sourness, fades dark roasted grains, and then finishes with an apricot like finish.

Mouthfeel is a little too carbonated for my preference.

Overall, a highly overhyped overrated beer  7 bucks for a 6 ounce pour, or 25 bucks a 750?  No thanks.  This is not in the same league as other sours deserving that price.  I just don’t understand the Burery hype? Overpriced and under delivered.  I think this beer was done as a sour mash and not with bacteria and wood aged.  I think this would have been a crazy awesome beer had it been done like a traditional sour in wood barrels, but the layers of flavor and complexity are missing for me.

09-11-2013 18:31:11 | More by taylor714914
M_C_Hampton

Georgia

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: poured from a 750 mL bottle into a snifter, dark yellow brown almost black with a short dark tan head that dissipates leaving little lacing, clear

S: balsamic vinegar, oak tannins, sour cherry, acetic acid, sour fruits

T: aged balsamic vinegar, oak, malty but sour, sour cherry, granny smith apple

M: medium and oily, lower carbonation

O: an excellent aged sour, nice oak flavors, like a fine aged balsamic vinegar

09-09-2013 00:14:33 | More by M_C_Hampton
cindyjeffsmith

Georgia

4.39/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Just picked up this gem. My bottle calls it a stout fwiw. Also abv listed as 7%.
Appearance: nearly opaque. Some cola highlights round the edges when held to the sun. Nice thick tan head and lacing.
Smell: wow. This is a hellava nose. Sourness is front and center. A bright sour like Granny Smith apples. Crisp and assertive but polite. The stout provides a strong but well paired counter balance.
Taste: all the characteristics of the nose. A wonderful dry finish that's plenty sour but nicely tamed.
Overall: I go for big malty stouts and English barleys. Not a big fan of sours but this beer is exceptional.

09-07-2013 22:03:49 | More by cindyjeffsmith
take_it_sleazy

Vermont

3.89/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

750 ml bottle. Cracked her open and was instantly hit with the smell of brettanomyces. Lovin the funk coming out of this one Poured into good nature snifter.

A: pours a near black color with a minimal one finger head. Light lacing along the inside of the glass, with a ring of carbonation. The lacing is similar to that of a oude kriek or something along those lines.

S: lots of oak and funk notes. Barnyard, dried cherries, spice, balsamic, and banana bread blending well together.

T: surprisingly more sour than I expected, but it doesn't overpower the smokey malts. A subtle taste of spices lingering in the background. Tart upfront, with a refreshing smoothness to finish.

M: pretty astringent, puckering mouthfeel. A light to medium bodied beer with quite a bit of carbonation.

O: very drinkable for 7%. First time tying something from the bruery, and I was pretty impressed. A nice balence of oak, smoked maltiness, and sourness.

09-01-2013 18:58:27 | More by take_it_sleazy
Digimaika2

Ontario (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

(3.75) A: Cola coloured with a finger of sparse and bubbly head. Dissipates quickly with no evident lacing.

(4.25) S: Oak, bourbon-like, vanilla, plum, root beer type aroma, herbal anise, and sour cherries. A subtle sour aroma that is not overpowering. Complex but everything works together in harmony.

(3.75) T: A potent balsamic vinegar-like sour, softer plum and cherries in the finish, and a general oak undertone. Stout qualities are very faint with a strong balsamic sourness the focal point.

(3.75) M: Lighter bodied with a lively carbonation. Smooth and oily textured.

(3.75) D: The aroma is very good and the subtle plum and cherry flavours are nice but the taste is more vinegar-like than I would prefer. Enjoying the creativity but not exactly sure it’s worth
the price tag.

09-01-2013 03:37:42 | More by Digimaika2
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.89/5  rDev -7.4%

Served from bottle into a Bruery tulip. Poured a massively dark brown with a one finger light tan head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, fruit, massive tart, acidic, wood, and earth. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, massive tart, liquorices, wood, and subtle funk. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly good brew. So they put ‘tart’ in the name, how tart can it really be? HOLY CHRIST! I should have visited my dentist after having this one to have my enamel checked, because I’m pretty sure I had NONE left after the first sip. While being really tart it did still manage to hang on to some other smaller aspects to help try to balance this one out. Unfortunately it just fell a little short. Definitely worth your time trying if you LOVE sours, but don’t unleash this on your unsuspecting friends unless you want a good laugh or are just plain cruel.

08-31-2013 15:24:52 | More by thagr81us
TruePerception

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

(Prior review, transferred from another forum)

8/19/13

Tart Of Darkness, from The Bruery! It's a sour stout, aged in oak barrels. Black, with just the slightest bit of cola towards the top edges. No head. Moderate funky tartness on the nose. A bit of menthol-y orange (which is leaving the inside of my nose slightly cold!). Weird! I just inhaled and got a slight orange cream menthol taste (like Halls Fruit Breezers) on the tip of my tongue. Not sure how that happened. As it's warming up, the funky note is taking on more of a wine must smell. Oh, wow. That was not like I expected! There isn't any chocolate or coffee notes to speak of. It's more of a multi-layered tartness. Let's see if I can identify it all properly...

There is a very sharp acidity on the tip of the tongue. Like tons of tiny pin pricks. No particular flavor, but it has a creamy carbonated feel to it. Just behind the tip, you get some cherry/tartaric acid flavor, and a slight citric acid. Maybe a bit of cola. About mid-tongue (top of the bend) there is a bitterness of some sort. Fruit stem, maybe?

Going back in for another nose, there seems to be a touch of coffee cherry. Slight dirt/soil. This is very easy to drink and the acidity is quite nice, and complex. Aftertaste is light, but lasts a decent amount of time. (Rating: Very Good). A hard pill to swallow, at $20, but worth it!

7%. 750mL. Pint glass (I need a tulip, like now!).

08-30-2013 05:18:09 | More by TruePerception