100% Brett Autumn Maple - The Bruery

100% Brett Autumn Maple100% Brett Autumn Maple

good

The Bruery visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DovaliHops on 09-09-2011)
4.5/5  rDev +22%

popery, Apr 23, 2012

ObeMaltKinobee, Mar 23, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from the bottle into a goblet. I tried this with the regular version and the barrel fermented.

Appearance: A bit darker than the barrel fermented version with a half finger of off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Tart and sweet with some brown sugar, yams, and alcohol warmth.

Taste: Funky but definitely not sour. Brown sugar with a slight bitterness in the finish. I can pick up the yams, but the brett is the most interesting part of this beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a nice beer. Very interesting to see how the brett changes the beer. Better than the barrel fermented version, I would have this one again.

oline73, Mar 23, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +22%

Many thanks to Dyan for procuring this gem for me.

The beer pours a copper amber color with fairly good head retention and decent lacing. On the other hand, the nose on this beer is flat out terrific, as I get some light sour funk, brown sugar, some pumpkin, yams, cinnamon and clove. The combination of aromas is complex, intriguing and evocative, and I can't wait to take my first sip. On the palate, this flavor profile is every bit as intriguing and attractive (not to mention unexpected), and much to my surprise, I get literally no sour flavor as well. There's still something of a funky wet blanket, horse sweat flavor, but the beer otherwise is completely dominated by flavors of cherry, mandarin orange, vanilla, yams and brown sugar. The beer is actually fairly sweet (something I was not expecting from the aroma profile), though the funky brett flavor helps to counter that somewhat. Mouthfeel is fairly full, with an incredibly smooth, almost satin-like texture. Alcohol is no more than an afterthought in this beer, and drinkability is amazingly high for a 10% abv. beer.

I was hoping this would be good, but I have to say that I was frankly astonished by just how excellent this was. Sampled side by side with the barrel conditioned and regular version of Autumn Maple, and IMHO, this version clearly stood out.

I can see where those who love sour beers would be annoyed, but for me, I thought this beer was absolutely terrific.

John_M, Mar 17, 2012
2.35/5  rDev -36.3%

Epic Bruery sour/wild tasting, 3/4/2012

Pours dark amber. Aromas of molasses, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, maple syrup, sweet potato. I'm not getting brett out of this at all. Way too heavy and sweet and spicy for me. Could not finish even a small tasting pour.

kscaldef, Mar 06, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -32.2%

Beerloco, Mar 04, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -32.2%

StarRaptor, Feb 01, 2012
2.1/5  rDev -43.1%

Vigorous pour produces only a cluster of brown bubbles. They're gone in a blink and leave no trace or lacing. Deep, auburn body.

Sweet yams, earth and a very small amount of Brett sourness. Nutmeg and clove spicing.

Lots of sweetness upfront, with flavors of yams, maple and even some molasses. The residual sugars just coat the mouth. I need to brush my teeth. Very light spicing, with some earthiness. Where the hell is the Brett? This is 100%? The finish has a very slight sour twinge to it, but it is immediately over taken by a boozy burn. Mouthfeel is like a syrup; it should be served as a flavor at Starbucks.

Totally misses the mark for me. This is a disaster. The more I drank this, the less I liked it. Avoid!

litheum94, Jan 24, 2012

jlenik, Jan 22, 2012

GrumpyJunglist, Jan 16, 2012

clarkenstein, Jan 08, 2012

hannaho, Jan 03, 2012

MrHirschybar, Jan 02, 2012

A huge thanks to Chris (cavery) for this beer! Cheers buddy and hope you have a Merry Christmas! Split between my brother-in-law and myself.

Appearance – Pours a murky brown into a generic tulip. About a half finger of off white head is achieved with a moderate pour.

Smell – Slight pumpkin and spices, a hint of barnyard funk, just a hint of tartness. Yam comes in as the beer warms up, along with some other earthy aromas.

Taste – Candied sugars, yam, a bit of the funk comes through. Honestly, there is an odd metallic tin flavor aftertaste. A nice maple sugar flavor with spices come through at the end.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, decent carbonation.

Overall – Easier to drink than the regular, though not as funky/earthy as I was expecting with the “100% Brett” label. However, the brett completely makes this beer more drinkable. I can’t taste the 10% and it is rather enjoyable when all is said and done. Curious what time will do to this.

SpdKilz, Dec 25, 2011

acurtis, Dec 24, 2011

SummitVA, Dec 24, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -1.6%

I shared this with the guys last night. I'm reviewing this not as a wild ale, but just as a beer.

Pouring much like the regular Autumn Maple, this looks nice in the glass. It smells really nice, with a ton of roasted yam, brown sugar, a rich, creamy, spicy blend (allspice, nutmeg and cinnamon) and maple syrup. There's no real Brett character here, this is very much like regular AM. The palate is similar, big, syrupy and sweet with a roasted yam character and a milky, spicy, creamy character. It's astounding how much yam flavor is actually in this beer. There's also a mild smoky flavor. The spices are the usual blend, decadently done. Full in body and sweet, this beer is mildly carbonated and is excellent as a dessert beer, but lousy as a wild ale.

DefenCorps, Dec 23, 2011

youradhere, Dec 21, 2011

javincik, Dec 18, 2011

biggied, Dec 18, 2011

Smells of pumpkin, some phenol. Very delightful simple. Bit of pumpkin pie spice.

Flavors of pumpkin, minor spice, some phenol. All about a pumpkin beer done right. bot of butter and bread.

Good body, low carb.sticky. needs time to let Brett grow more.

Khazadum, Dec 15, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -16%

Served in a Bruery tulip. I love the Bruery but not this beer. Huge miss for me.

Beer is borwn, hazy, dark, with a thin tan head, low retention, low carbonation, had to really work to get a head on this guy. Looks fine.

Aroma is sweet, maple, lots of malt syrup. Minimal yeast character.

I thought this was a brett beer? Why is the gravity so damn high? It is like chewing on a stick from a sugar maple. Sweet, syrup, heavy, boozy, nope, not a repeat for me.

drabmuh, Dec 10, 2011

starrdogg, Dec 09, 2011

marieow, Dec 08, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a beige head. Color is a hazed golden autumn orange.

Aroma: Spices and yams. Caramel, toffee, and bready malts. Pumpkin spice. Okay.

Taste: The brett funk shows, but it is really yammy. A lot of spices. Bready, caramel, and toffee malts again. A whole mess of flavors.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and dry. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry.

Overall, it's a yam beer. I don't like it, but I don't hate it. Not something I'd get excited for.

mothman, Dec 07, 2011