Grey Monday - The Bruery

The Bruery visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  19.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Halcyondays on 10-18-2011

Grey Monday is a special version of our Black Tuesday imperial stout that has been aged on hazelnuts.
Reviews: 101 | Hads: 1,375
4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Oh yeah....split with JLindros thanks to last years reserve society.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a deep dark black bye with a quarter inch head that faded to legs....octopus legs haunt my glass. Gah.

S - Gaahhhh...aromas of rich chocolate, bourbon, alcohol, tons of barrel and vanilla. Not getting much hazelnut though but still my goodness is this good.

T - Taste is tons of sweet malts, loads of chocolate and vanilla...my God is there alot of chocolate and vanilla and bourbon and oak. This is plainly amped up black Tuesday with sweeter chocolate malts. The hazelnut ..its almost a dairy creamer type flavour. Damn tasty if I may say so...like an almond joy melted in my mouth.

M - Mouthfeel is damn good for the ABV. Lowly carbonated, thick, lightly boozy....this is a sipper for sure.

O - Overall this was a good beer, wish the hazelnut was more prominent. Tons of chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, super faint hazelnut....solid black Tuesday variant. (968 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

Big thanks to Ron, Tim, and Mike for letting me partake in this bottle, even though I would've been contempt just sitting there smelling the wax. This one pours nearly black with a very small and menacing tan head that is reduced to a ring pretty quickly. Seemingly low carbonation, this one looks very thick and syrupy on the pour - I would expect nothing less from this 19.5% ABV beast.

And whoof... the aroma washes over my senses like a goddamn tidal wave. Chocolate, both dark and milky, smooth bourbon, sweet vanilla, roasted hazelnuts. Much like it's counterpart, Chocolate Rain, this beer has such an intoxicating and powerful aroma that demands attention. One thing I like about Grey Monday, however, is that the sweetness does seem nearly as cloying.

But don't get me wrong - the sweetness is still there on the nose. Brown sugar, thick molasses, melted fudge; it just appears to be a bit more settled in and refined. Another thing I love about Grey Monday is that the bourbon aroma is so smooth; not harsh or burning the nostrils at all. This is an amazingly crafted beer, and I haven't even brought the thing to my lips yet.

And just like Chocolate Rain, Grey Monday hits the palate and injects an intense sweetness throughout your entire nervous system. But just as the aroma indicated, tasting has confirmed - the sweetness of Grey Monday is controlled so much better than it was in Chocolate Rain. It's the "super sweet but still manageable" sweetness, and it's perfect.

The flavors explode like a fucking bomb on my palate: vanilla, hazelnut, light cocoa, bourbon, oak and wood. Chocolate Rain felt like 19.5% ABV. Grey Monday does not. It's got that heavy warmth - but the bourbon is so smooth and even "soft", and it goes down like a dream. I've loving the balance of boozy and sweet; they play off of each other perfectly.

I love the hazelnut addition - not only because I love hazelnuts, but because it was done masterfully. It was subtle enough as to not wash any other flavors out (see: Frangelic Mountain Brown), but at the same time - it was noticeable and appreciated with each and every sip.

As the beer warms up, new flavors emerge and current ones get stronger. Nutty, smooth, boozy, and sweet all at once. There is a certain harmony between all of these things - a detailed system of checks and balances. The aftertaste is a collection of hazelnut, cocoa, sweet vanilla, smooth bourbon, brown sugar, and dense oak. Nice, creamy body with a slick mouth feel, surprisingly not as sticky as you'd expect.

I didn't want this one to end. I liked Chocolate Rain, but I said that it would have potential to be a world beater if the sweetness and the booze were toned down. Alas - Grey Monday accomplishes those exact things, and the cost of lost cocoa nibs and vanilla beans is more than made up for with an excellent hazelnut addition. Thanks again to Ron, Tim, and Mike for this world class beer. Don't forget to smell the fucking wax. (2,969 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a near opaque black color. A two finger tan head quickly forms, but recedes just as quickly. Par for the coarse with the alcohol level and style.
S: Barrel aroma is strong and up front. A big sweetness in the nose, with chocolate, roasted malts, and roasted nuts. While a huge and boarding on over barring nose, still enjoyable.
T: Like the nose, this boarders on over barring but still fairly enjoyable. A huge barrel character with an equally large sweetness. Some roast, and coffee with an enjoyable nutty flavor. All help to try and balance the huge aspect of the beer.
M/D: Low carbonation, viscous, and just huge. Alcohol is certainly apparent, but almost kept in check. I can at least enjoy a few ounces.

For this massive barrel aged imperial stout, this is somewhat enjoyable. Though, again, I can find plenty of the same style I enjoy much more. That are much easier to get, and in many cases locally made. Interesting to try, but not one of my favorites on the style. (987 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to baybum for dropping this on me, a beer that I’ve had at tastings but never drowned myself in. Here’s to hoping. 750ML silver-waxed bottle of 2013 vintage, split with my wife.

The pours is stout black, which should be a description on model planes. Carbonation is low, because straight moonshine-level ABV usually has no bubbles, right? The nose is BT + nuts: barrel, sweet malts, & a surprisingly strong nut shot. I mean, nut smell. That doesn’t…wait. It smells like nuts. Well, shit. Nutty? That’s better.

Grey Monday is the sweet hot mess of Black Tuesday with an addition of nuts. Now, I couldn’t ID the body as a hazelnut, but my wife, who drinks hazelnut creamer with a dash of coffee each morning, no doubt could. Big fappy bourbon notes suffuse the brain pan & go straight to the frontal cortex, along with a toothy bite of alcohol. Vanilla, oak, enough malt sweetness to…is that a tooth I just lost? Nuts cut the sugar-nado just enough to keep it tolerable (for a mortal – I love sweets!). Ends in a froth of star anise, licorice, & a forecast of bourbon headache on the morrow. It goes without saying this is tar-thick. It’s a sipper, but one I could sip until I woke up in an episode of Intervention. You’re just jealous of my roll, man!

Certainly an epic beer in every sense of the word. Big, thick, brutal, laden with alcohoolc, clears the bar of good, then very good, & settles into the stratosphere of excellent. I hope I can walk when I’m done. (1,496 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Bottle traded for and shared by Curran for my birthday dinner. Thanks dude!

Pours a fairly dark brown, with a small quarter inch head, and basically no lacing, save for a few faint stripes. Looks really, really oily.

Smells really strongly of roasted, caramelized hazelnuts, plus intensely sweet bourbon, vanilla, and searing booze.

This is one strong mofo of a beer, and incredibly sweet. If you drink it fast, it's cloying, but if you drink it slowly, it's not as sweet, and much more doable. There's sugary vanilla cream, roasted hazelnut, hazelnut frosting, chocolate syrup, sweet syrupy bourbon, and a big boozy heat. It's kind of like drinking hazelnut gasoline, really. It's delicious, but it's so hard to drink large amounts of this.

The body is slightly thinner than I would've expected, but it has a creamy, sticky, oily mouthfeel, and an almost non-existent amount of carbonation.

An unbelievably extreme beer here, it's done well, but you must share the bottle or you will die. (995 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to duff27 for the bottle share! Thanks Duffy!

poured into snifter glass.

reviewed from notes taken on 02/23/2013.

Appearance: black bodied with thin white cap. When the cap fades away the beer has a bit of an oily film on the top of the beer and no head.

Smell: Hazelnuts and peanut butter. Some faint coffee. Boozey nose, but not distracting and you gotta expect that from a beer this big.

Taste: Sweet hazelnuts and cocoa. Nutty and roasty. Hint of bourbon and faint coffee. The flavors are so well balanced and integrated in this beer. Really just spectacular complexity.

Mouthfeel: full bodied beer with low end of moderate carbonation. This beer really hides its ABV. Yeah there is a little bit of heat, but nothing much when considering the almost 20% ABV of grey monday. How does the Bruery hide the ABV so flawlessly in these massive beers? Its gotta be thier calling card, I really cant think of any brewery that does this better.

Overall: Fantastic Black Friday varient. It really exceeded my expectations. I didnt think that I would like this beer more than Chocolate Rain, but I do and it did. (1,125 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle shared at the March tasting in Santa Cruz. Pours brown with a light tan head. Big rich brownie aroma with some apparent heat. Flavor is a concentrated maple syrup blast, with port grapes, deep chocolate notes, and not nearly as much booziness as the aroma would suggest. Also much milder than plain ol’ Black Tuesday. Not a whole lot of nuttiness to me, but it is somewhat creamy and smooth compared to BT. Nice beer. (426 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

The beer pours out pitch black without any head.

The aroma has tons of intense bourbon. Alcohol is very obvious in this. Then there's sweet chocolate, vanilla, and then hazelnutes.

The flavor follows with a huge punch of sweet chocolate and then alcohol and bourbon notes. The hints of hazelnut come through towards the middle.

A big delicious beer as the hazelnuts are a enjoyable little addition. Tuesday is still not my favorite base brew. Alcohol comes through at 19.5%, though it isn't as obvious as it could be. (520 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my top beers ever. It is a smooth, big, full stout with a lot of enjoyable hazelnut. Now, as all bruery beers, it's best split with 4+ people, but it will be very enjoyable when you do. (194 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

1800th Review on BA
Bottle to Bruery Tulip
750ml- Grey Wax

2013 Release

App- This was about the same as BT. Just thick, dark and viscous in the glass. A small amount of brown bubbles formed and was gone rather quickly.

Smell- When I first had a BT, I thought it was more port with a big sweetness, phenol alcohols and fruits. This was like that but the chocolate and hazelnut dominated the flavors. When I put my nose in the glass, I felt I was smelling a hazelnut chocolate milk.

Taste- I felt it this was actually better than BT and MW. Its a good stout due to the base beer. This highlighted the chocolate and hazelnut way more than MW and coffee. This had more flavor and was creamier and layered.

Mouth- Thick and viscous. A low carbonation level and was very creamy just like BT. The hazelnut dominates the residual flavors along with the chocolate.

Drink- It was a good beer. It was expected. I appreciate when someone says its a hazelnut beer, it should taste like hazelnuts. This was that and was a huge beer. (1,025 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750ml bottle into tulip. Bottled 9/24/2013. Thanks for the bottle, Tyler!

A: Pours near black with a couple fingers of dark brown coffee-colored head that faded into a faint bubbly collar.
S: Rich notes of leather, bourbon barrel, vanilla, caramel and faint hazelnut mixed with fudge. Smells pretty much like BT. Very decadent but not overly sweet.
T: Very intense and potent flavors of BT mixed with silky smooth hazelnut. Bourbon, vanilla, cocoa, fudge, leather, and tobacco come through strongly, and I get hints of hazelnuts, caramel, toast, butterscotch and chocolate syrup in the finish. The aftertaste is full of vanilla, leather, and tobacco, with a good dose of bourbon as well. Overall the flavors are thick, well-integrated, complex, and dangerously buttery and smooth. I could drink this whole bottle (oh wait, I am). The chocolate flavors really linger in the aftertaste as well, especially as the beer reaches room temp.
M: Thick and heavy body; chewy, slick, and smooth mouthfeel; with low but tingly carbonation. The sweet and sticky bourbon character is present, but this beer is not hot or overly boozy. Very integrated.
O: Dare I say this is an improvement on BT? The hazelnuts are not dominating, but they add another layer of complexity to an already complex and world class stout. I wish I had more bottles of these. Thanks again for the hook-up Tyler. (1,379 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Got to try a small sample of this at the Swamp Head Bottle Drop bottle share. Pours dark brown, murky, almost like a BA Old Ale or Barleywine, but maybe a bit darker. Nearly no head, what is there is a yellowish khaki color that is just a ring around the top of the glass. Aroma of big caramel notes, pralines, hazelnuts, booze, huge vanilla, maybe some coocnunt. Flavor follows the aroma perfectly with massive nutty caramel vanilla notes, some light marshmallow, bourbon galore, booze, sweet brown sugar. Wow. This blows away BT and CR for me. Really drinks more like a BA Barleywine or BA Scotch Ale than a stout. Mouthfeel is big, thick, boozy, and warming with low carbonation. Just a really beautiful beer and thus far easily my favorite variant of the BT brew. (767 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +0.2%

A-Black in the glass, one finger head that doesn't last long

S-Roasted malt, chocolate, bourbon, coffee and the hazelnuts are there.

T-Starts with nice hazelnuts, good deal of roasted malt. Chocolate is there and bourbon is present.

M-Heavy and thick but not much carbonation.

O-Better than Black Tuesday but still not as good as Chocolate Rain. (350 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

75cl batch 1 bottle, generously shared by Doug at our latest whale tasting today, 11/26/2013. Poured approx. 10cl into a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass.

Review #300, totally a perfect beer for a milestone like this.

Pours a motor oil, viscous opaque black body with a relatively minimal mocha head that doesn't really have great retention. Not much lacing. Basically looks like Black Tuesday.

Smells phenomenal. Easily the best characteristic of the beer, aside from the vanilla scented wax. Smells like Black Tuesday mixed with a lot of vanilla. I don't get a lot of hazelnut specifically while it is smelling quite nutty; I'm really digging the nutty vanilla on top of the already-sweet Black Tuesday nose.

I think this is way too sweet. So cloying, lots of that Black Tuesday sweetness. It honestly reminds me of a Nutella chocolate bar, if there was a such thing. Its incredibly sweet, very cloying on top of the Black Tuesday base. It gets boozy as it warms up, but initially its simply a very sweet beer without heat.

Full bodied, phenomenal fullness of feeling in the mouth. Carbonation is minimal, solid but nothing to write home about. Again, the whole story is sweet, sweet, sweet. Dark Lord is a bitter IPA compared to this. My palate was pretty much destroyed after drinking my pour and I needed to clean it out with some water and bread.

Glad to have tried this one; I'm not sure I'd go after this one again but it is incredibly interesting as only the Bruery can do. This gives Dark Lord a run for its money in terms of sweetness. (1,549 characters)

2014 Reserve Society Allocation poured into a Westbrook Brewing snifter

Jet black appearance. The wax from the bottle smells amazing..tempted to chew it like the wax candy from the 70s. Big bold imperial stout flavor with a nice bourbon coating on my tongue, with the hazelnuts on the back end. A bit hot (hey dummy, its 18.5%), but hidden well for the percentage.

I actually enjoyed the bottle more than I did from the tap at the Reserve Socitey party. Will sit on one or two of these for a year to see if the heat drops a bit.

I'm a sucker for hazelnut, and this one is the best I've ever had. Outstanding. (612 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottle (2012)

The Bruery
Placentia, CA

Black, heavy, and viscous throughout. Very, very small film of minimal carbonation. Leaves the glass oily on the way down. Appropriate, and pretty enough, though this beer's appearance is not what makes it special.

Exceptionally rich aroma: vanilla and very sweet chocolates, lots of barrel (coconut, stinging bourbon, Mounds bars), and a distinct, integrated, lovely, and sweet hazelnut addition. The base beer (Black Tuesday) is quite present, obviously, but the addition of hazelnuts is a welcome one that works.

As with Black Tuesday, this is sweet, rich, chocolate, and barrel-forward. This does seem a bit more subdued though and slightly less raw and aggressive than regular Black Tuesday, with distinct, authentic, flavorful hazelnut present, especially on the swallow and lingering finish. Some alcohol heat, but not quite as strong as regular Black Tuesday.

Full in body with low, creamy, silky carbonation.

Fantastic Black Tuesday variant.

Additionally, the wax smells of hazelnuts. (1,041 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a snifter. This was bottled on 9/24/13, so has almost 2 years of age on it.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown and leaves a mini half finger of tan head that fades right away to a tan rim around the glass. (4.25)

Smell: Big nutty hazelnuts, fudgy chocolate, oak, vanilla, slight smokiness. Real nice. (4.75)

Taste: Lots of oak, molasses, dark chocolate, nutty finish. Candied dates, bourbon, vanilla. Almost dominated by the oak, but there are some other nice flavors in here as well. Fairly smooth, I'm guessing the couple years in the bottle mellowed it a bit. (4.75)

Mouth-feel: Low to medium carb with a medium, slightly syrupy, creamy body. If I have any complaints, maybe this could be a bit thicker but it's still nice and creamy. (4.25)

Overall: Really well done with nice, huge flavors, including hazelnuts, coming through in a great way. Good amount of chocolate and bourbon flavors as well. Alcohol is there all the way through but not dominant. (4.5) (996 characters)

4.26/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours just like all of the Black Tuesday variants... thick, dark brown, and minimal head. The nose starts with rich chocolate and vanilla, this is followed by mild hazelnut notes. There's definitely a little nutella action going on in the nose. Notes of bourbon pair nicely with the big chocolatey base beer. The taste is very sweet with chocolate, roast, bourbon, and oak all present. The finish is hot and boozy. I'd say that this treatment is quite a bit more smooth than the base beer with a little better melding of flavor. Mouthfeel is thick, syrupy, and mildly carbonated. Overall, I rank this one above Black Tuesday, but below Chocolate Rain and Mocha Wednesday. (671 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Got a couple of these from jbeatty and claaark13. Cheers gents!

From a 750 into a snifter
Vintage: 2013
Black Tuesday with hazelnuts

APPEARANCE: A very transparent, thin, and relatively light brown pour yields a thin, loose, bubbly, off-white head with lousy retention. Head quickly fades to a thin ring, which eventually vanishes as well. Looks flat by the end and absolutely no lacing at all. Much too thin and transparent for the style as well. Very disappointing. Same as Chocolate Rain, but clearly worse than older vintages of the Black Tuesday.

SMELL: Bold and boozy, just like its base beer. Basically this is all the elements of recent vintages of Black Tuesday with a touch of hazelnuts, so it passes inspection in that sense. Lots of bourbon, oak, vanilla, milk chocolate, with hints of roasted malts and dark chocolate. Just enough hazelnut to cut the big, boozy aromas and bourbon barrel. Rather nice.

TASTE: Big and boozy. Again, this is Black Tuesday with a touch of hazelnuts. Pulls it off too. The nuts are probably more prevalent here than in the nose, but they still don’t get obnoxious, which I was afraid they might. Lots of bourbon, oak, milk chocolate and some hazelnuts up front, then a huge and massive, boozy swallow. Big finish of bourbon, oak again, coconut, milk chocolate, a bit of roasted malt, some bitter dark chocolate and sweet cream linger and linger. Some light nut flavor also joins the show as the flavors persist on the palate. This is good stuff. Hot and boozy of course, but not as much as I’d originally expected.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. A bit prickly on the palate, not as smooth as hoped, though it is 19% I guess, goes down okay with a burn at the swallow and finishes sticky. Some decent heat lingers as well. A bit prickly and airy in the mouth. Could be smoother, but others at this level of ABV have been worse.

OVERALL: This is quite nice actually. Feel is not as good as the other variants perhaps, and the look is equally as disappointing, but the flavor is basically decadent Black Tuesday and the hazelnut addition is restrained but present, adding another dimension to the flavor profile. Something I quite enjoyed and would love to solo another bottle of the next batch when it becomes available. Thanks again for the bottles gents. Good stuff all around. (2,357 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%

A - Dark black with a bit of reddish-brown around the edges and a thin finger of khaki-chocolate colored head. Fades fairly quickly.

S - Roasted chocolate and dark caramel malts, Bourbon, oak, vanilla, hazelnuts, black licorice, coffee, dark fruits, and some booze.

T - Roasted chocolate and dark caramel malts, hazelnuts, Bourbon, vanilla, oak, black licorice, molasses, dark fruits, coffee, and booze.

M - Full bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a warming, sweet, and nutty finish.

D - Super bold and complex, and the hazelnuts add some great character. (570 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A. Pours a deep, dark, tarry black. A half finger of light brown, loose head emerges and fades rapidly to a few bubbles. Big oily legs remain on the glass. Good.

S. Vanilla, chocolate, ripe dark fruit, lots of hazelnut, some fusile alcohol notes. This is really really nice.

T. Wow. This is so mellow considering the heat. Thick fudge, brownie batter, prominent vanilla, mild hazelnut, mild bourbon, overripe fruit. Amazing.

M. Cloying, coating. Low carbonation, excellent balance, sits nicely on the palate.

O. Wow. We had a Black Tuesday before this and it didn't do much for me but this is so shockingly different I can barely believe it is the same base beer. I don't get a ton of hazelnut, just some subtle notes in the background that even it out. Whatever was done differently here really balanced this out. Drinks like a liquid Heath bar. One of the best things I have had, albeit extremely sweet. (913 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 vintage tapped at The Catch (Anaheim, CA) on 8-Feb-14.
4 oz. pour into taster wine glass.

Smells like BT. Tastes like BT with hazelnut and the toffee is more prominent than the regular. I was hoping the hazelnut would shine more as it warmed, but it wasn't much.

2013 vintage 750 mL bottle poured into wine glass on 23-Feb-14.
Got more hazelnut and it wasn't overpowering.

Overall, It's no Mocha Wednesday but a nice variant of a solid BBA Imperial Stout. Prefer this slightly more than the regular BT. (512 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pours dark brown along with a razor thin light brown head that left behind light lacing throughout. I could immediately smell the hazelnut and booziness right off the bat along with some delicious chocolate notes Flavors of roasted hazelnuts, brown sugar, sticky chocolate, toffee, light molasses and bourbon vanilla. Full bodied, well-carbonated, slightly cloying on the palate, and a boozy finish with some lingering heat throughout. Overall, an amazing bourbon- and nutty-centric beer! (488 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 750 mL bottle into a Cigar City snifter.

A: Dark black with a thin tan head. Essentially opaque with almost no visible carbonation.

S: Hazelnut up front, with thick aromas of dark cacao and huge oak barrel, with coffee, tobacco and musty leather in the background.

T: Sweet hazelnut, oak, coffee and cacao nearly in balance, roasted malt sweetness, drying tobacco, and the alcohol burn and sweet. Sweet oak and chocolate in the hang.

M: A bit thin body and mouthfeel for style, but far from watery. Mouthfeel is sticky with carbonation sensation on the low side. The alcohol is certainly noticeable but it doesn't seem as "hot" as Black Tuesday.

O: Really quite good, and an improvement on the base beer in my opinion. Huge alcohol and huge sweetness are still predominant characteristics though - certainly not a subtle beer. But an enjoyable one. (886 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Thanks to Adam for this one. 750ml bottle into a snifter. Had at a tasting. Reviewed from notes.

Pours pitch black with minimal lacing and minimal head. Beer is pitch black with thick, oily legs. Par for the course for a Bruery Imperial Stout.

Nose is chocolate, molasses, vanilla, fudge and booze. Aromatic and robust. Decent but a bit too heavy on the alcohol.

Opens sweet molasses, fudge, chocolate, and vanilla. Diabeetus for sure. Booze in the middle with more chocolate and molasses presence. A bit of cocoa and roasted malt but they do little to balance out the incredible malt body. So incredibly sweet. Great for sipper but I can't imagine having more than 4oz. of this one. Finishes boozy with a sweet, filmy, sticky sweet aftertaste. Decent but certainly over-the-top.

Full bodied with minimal carbonation. Oily, slick and booze in the mouth and goes down hot and sticky sweet. Finishes messy with a lingering, boozy aftertaste. You feel every bit of the ABV here. Definitely a sipper.

Pretty standard for a Bruery Black Tuesday variation. Decently complex, very boozy, in your face, and certainly a sipper. I'd like to see how this mellows out with time but as is, its a bit too much for my taste. Worth trying though. (1,237 characters)

Grey Monday from The Bruery