Sans Pagaie - The Bruery

Sans PagaieSans Pagaie

The Bruery visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 03-18-2012

Sans Pagaie translates to “without a paddle” and is our take on the Belgian-style kriek, a sour blonde ale aged in barrels with cherries. The base beer has a subtle funk that melds gently with the fruit giving this beer flavors reminiscent of coconut, vanilla yogurt and of course, fresh cherries. A complex beer, perfect for a warm California day in the park with a slice of home made chocolate cake.
3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

3.74/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 750ml bottle to a tulip. Bottled 4/2012?? So a year and 3 months of age.

A - Clear, brilliant pink/rose' color. Clear head that disappears immediately.

S - Sour cherry, light white vinegar, musty barnyard notes, although slight.

T - Sour cherries and white vinegar are forefront. Lemon juice and a slight white wine character. Slight blue cheese finish (very slight and actually enjoyable). Much less puckering sour than I remember.

M - Light and crisp, although it seems to have lost a little carbonation, I think it works to its benefit. Not watery at all. Nice balance.

O - I like it much better than when I had it fresh. Flavors meld together well. Much less vinegary than I remember. Might be benefiting from some age.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

3.38/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap and appealing label served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are pretty high; historically I haven't liked The Bruery but I've been realizing recently that their stouts and sours seem to be the exceptions to The Bruery's overcharging-for-garbage modus operandi. I'm a big sour fan, so I'm excited for this.

Served a bit warmer than refrigerator cold. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Not paired with food.

A: Pours a one finger white colour head of fair cream, decent thickness, and above average retention - though the ABV is quite modest. Body colour is a dull muted orange-red. Maybe tangerine to get pretentious. Nontransparent and opaque. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Sourness, bacteria, wild yeast, fermented fruit, fruit skin, light oak. I look for cherries but cannot find them; I just get vague fruit. Then again, me nose is broken. A moderately strong aroma, though it lacks the assertiveness and obvious acidity of most good sours I've had. No alcohol comes through.

T: Bright fruit and fruit skin merged with sourness and a light tart kick. Not sour enough nor tart enough to really satisfy me, but it's a pleasant beginner's sour I suppose. Some pale malts. An oak undertone. The finish has a resurgence of tart sourness accompanied by a luscious malty crispness that I quite fancy. I wish the entire body were as flavorful as the finish. No alcohol is detectable. The fruit is curious; it's not at all cherry - at least not in a kriek sense - but I'd hazard to allege that it's sort of peachy. What cherries were used? Unfortunately, it's worth noting that it's just a bit watery, which really wrecks the build. In spite of that transgression, I'd still call it a mostly balanced beer - albeit a somewhat muted one.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and a bit undercarbonated. Good thickness. Supports the flavours by not intruding, but it adds little to the beer.

Dr: A drinkable beginner's sour, but probably not worth its high pricetag. There are better sours from this brewery at around this price, and I'd see no need to get this one again. Not worth seeking out; its flaws ultimately make it a disappointment. Maybe I was wrong to start being so optimistic about The Bruery.

High B-