Fruet - The Bruery

FruetFruet

The Bruery visit their website

Old Ale |  15.50% ABV

Unlike previous anniversary beers, ALL Fruet is 100% bourbon barrel-aged.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 04-23-2012)

mportnoy, Feb 25, 2013

rolltide8425, Feb 25, 2013

RobertColianni, Feb 24, 2013
4.34/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750ml Bottle number 622. Served in a Founders snifter

Appearance: Murky looking brown in color. Very hazy. There was a thin, wispy coating of head along with a light tan collar around the edges of the glass.

Smell: The aroma hits you in the face from the second you pop off the cap. Lots of sweet bourbon and vanilla along with toffee, caramel, brown sugar, and dark fruits, with fig being the first that came to mind. I'm also getting hints of maple and butterscotch. Booze is present but not overpowering, and hidden extremely well for 15.5%

Taste: Follows the nose closely with notes more bourbon, caramel, vanilla, and fig. There's a noticeable coconut flavor in the taste that I wasn't getting in the aroma. This is also one of the sweetest beers I've had.

Mouthfeel: Medium/full bodied. Sticky, slightly syrupy mouthfeel with low carbonation. Alcohol heat is definitely noticeable.

Overall: Excellent barrel aged old ale from the Bruery. The star of this beer is definitely the aroma. I could just sit here and smell this beer all day. If you don't like sweet beers, you may want to stay away from this one, but otherwise I highly recommend seeking it out. I'd suggest splitting it with at least one other person as it does pack quite a punch.

Jonada, Feb 24, 2013

muskiesman, Feb 24, 2013
4.8/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2012 bottle, big thanks to CKYnick01

Appearance: Cloudy, dark unfiltered brown. There's a tiny beige head but it recedes quickly, which is expected given the abv.

Smell: Barrel notes galore! Bourbon, vanilla, caramel, slight oakiness, brown sugar, candied fruits, toffee, sherry sweetness. Excellent.

Taste: Such a perfectly blended beer. Caramel and vanilla sweetness roll out, perfectly blended over a steady bourbon background. As they subside into the middle of the drink, candy sweetness creeps up on the tongue and spikes up on the palate. Immediately after, a bourbon punch to the tongue is felt and is tasted thereafter and into the finish, slowly fading out. There is a little bit of alcohol heat at the end (but much less than I expected), but this drinks so damn smooth for the abv. Wow.

Mouthfeel: Not much carbonation but that's to be expected of a high gravity beer. It's creamy and a pleasure to drink. Really smooth, again; this drinks like a Sherry.

Overall: This is the best old ale I've ever tasted. It is blended masterfully and drinks so smooth for the 15% abv; if I did a blindfolded taste test with this, I wouldn't even guess that it's over 10%. Just a very unique, and close to perfect beer.

PsilohsaiBiN, Feb 24, 2013

jaylib, Feb 22, 2013
4.95/5  rDev +10.7%

750mL bottle from Luekens Liquors (on line). 31.99. No bottling date but it is their 2012 Anniversary beer. Served in a Terrapin snifter.

Pours a beautiful deep murky brown with a quarter finger dark cream head. The head maintains a nice ring around the beer and actually leaves a spot or two of occasional lace. It's a beauty.

Wow! It's rare that a beer smells so great even as the cap is coming off. An explosion of bourbon, vanilla, caramel, toffee and rich dark fruits. Every whiff reveals more that I want to come back for. Fantastic.

Holy crap! My nose wasn't lying. The flavors deliver and then some. Layers of bourbon, vanilla, brandied dates, toffee, caramel, raisin, earthy oak, sweet cashews, toasted grains, faint citrus peel and of course a bit of booze. My description can't possibly do justice to the myriad of outstanding flavors going on. As in the nose, every sip reveals more that I can enjoy. No doubt there is alcohol in there but it goes down incredibly easily for such high abv.

Wonderful syrupy heavy feel with just enough carbonation to keep it from seeming dull. The booze has a nice tickling burn towards the back of the tongue. Sweet boozy toffee finish.

Outstanding in every aspect. By far the best old ale I've ever had and one of the 2 best beers I've had from The Bruery. So rich and complex. Is it expensive? Sure, but I've been happy with plenty of beers a third of the price that aren't nearly a third as good. Well worth the expense in my opinion and I'm thrilled to have another to lay down for a while.

ThickNStout, Feb 21, 2013

CaptainNomihodai, Feb 20, 2013
3.99/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2012 Bottle. I'm really excited/nervous to try this.

A-dark brown. looks quite murky. thin tan head

S-very strong smelling!! thick dark caramel and a lot of dark fruits. quite boozy. definitely has the bourbon barrel aspect to it.

T-comes in with a very thick flavor, the same as it smells except with a bit more of bourbon flavor. it's a wonderful flavor and is very smooth. the alcohol hardly touches the tongue. matching after-taste with mostly caramel. it's all very smooth.

M-thick low carbonation with a wet finish

O-considering the ABV, this is about as smooth as it gets. Truly the taste itself is just okay. it's definitely complex but the flavors themselves are just mediocre. Really the only thing I have to really complain about is the fact that I spent $30 for this bottle. I always put down big bucks for Bruery beer, and most of the time it's for beers that I've had multiple times. For me, you really can't put a price on trying a new one, I'll pretty much pay whatever it takes...but that doesn't mean I'll ever buy another bottle. For this beer, I definitely will not. I'm glad I tried this to kill the suspicion, I'll even finish the bottle with a smile, but I can find many other better ways to drop $30 next time I go to the store.

AdamBear, Feb 20, 2013

3.75/5  rDev -16.1%

dman5400, Feb 10, 2013

smekermann, Feb 10, 2013
4.94/5  rDev +10.5%

Consumed 2/9/13 we poured this beer into a Rogue Santa's Private Reserve flute.
Appearance: is a deep brown with a nice ruby red shining through at the bottom of the glass. Head was very little and dissipated quickly but was toffee colored while it lasted.
Smell: Wow that smells delicious! From the bottle its oak, vanilla and dark fruits battling. Poured into the glass the aroma destroys and I get more oak with an intense bourbon/fudge blast that is just mind blowing!
Mouthfeel: I think its a wee bit thin because of the alcohol percentage but it is almost spot on. Fuck my life this is a good brew!
Taste: At 15.5% this beer is "slammable" with a pleasant burst of booze to set it off. ABV is definitely not an issue I could drink this all day if it wasn't actually 15.5%. Nuttiness is very pronounced with a young sherry or port finish. Not overwhelming like Utopias or anything its really balanced and delicious.
Overall: We threw a splash of it on each of our 3 Filet Mignons that we were pan searing... This is the most outstanding BB Old Ale I have ever had, I can't believe the %, the $ and the flavor. Will definitely be seeking out more of these and you should too!

shuntstout, Feb 10, 2013