1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

White Chocolate - The Bruery

White ChocolateWhite Chocolate

The Bruery visit their website

Wheatwine |  14.75% ABV

The primary component of our "White Oak" ale is a 100% barrel aged wheat wine that we affectionately refer to as "White Oak Sap." Essentially a "summer" barley-wine style ale, but made with a wheat heavy grain base, White Oak Sap is aged in used bourbon barrels for nearly a year and comes out rich in flavors of coconut, honey, caramel and vanilla. To compliment the already rich flavors of the beer, we've added cacao nibs and vanilla beans to give this beer the delicate flavor of white chocolate...hence the name.

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-07-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 721 | Reviews: 109 | Show All Ratings:
ThePaleRider

4.7/5  rDev +13%

A - The color of wheat. Golden brown and very cloudy. Lots of sediment floating around and very cloudy. Poured a thin white head that vanished pretty quickly. Not really sure how to rate the appearance of a wheat wine.

S - Very surprising how strong the white chocolate fragrance is. The white chocolate is followed up by a sour fruit smell of grapes, cranberries, and black berries.

T - Lots of chocolate that transforms into a white wine. The warmer this brew got the more the chocolate really stood out. Plenty of oak in the back end and the taste really finishes like a wine. Might be the most unique flavor I've tasted in a beer that is actually good.

M - Very light and VERY dry. Really drinks like a chardonnay. Very smooth for such a high ABV.

O - I'm very pleased with the uniqueness of this beer. This is a true work of art that I'm sure isn't for everyone. I'd love to try it on tap.

10-05-2013 06:50:51 | More by ThePaleRider
TMoney2591

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served in a tumbler.

Normally, I'm not one to reach for the white chocolate (my preference lying with the dark or peanut butter-filled), but who am I to turn down some barrel-aged wheatwine goodness? This stuff pours a hazy auburn topped by a half-finger or so of off-white foam. The nose comprises sweet bourbon, light candied orange peel, vanilla bean, buttercream, light oak, and a twinge of booze. The taste brings in more of the same, the orange coming through a bit stronger, though tempered a bit by the booze. Still, the sweetness is what reigns supreme here, but not in a Southern Tier Creme Brulee sort of way: more restrained due to the overt cooperation of its constituent parts. Basically, the complexity of the sweetness plays off of itself, rather than having it serve to o'erwash all else as in the aforementioned New York-based stout. The body is a hefty medium, with a rather light moderate carbonation and a nearly chewy feel. Overall, a very nice wheatwine, one that somehow did not overdo things with the barrel and the additives, despite how easily it certainly could have. Good times.

09-28-2013 05:32:26 | More by TMoney2591
brewskifan55

Mississippi

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into a snifter

A: Clear, golden with a white one-finger head that morphs to lingering bubbles. Minimal lacing.

S: chocolate cake in a glass. Tartness mixed with caramel and vanilla. Where's my fork?

T: Ooh, let's take a biscotti break. Coconut, caramel and vanilla with sweet sugar and honey. This is definitely a dessert beer. Alcohol is well hidden. Bourbon barrel notes seal the deal. I' m in love.

M: medium with medium sticky-sweet carbonation.

O: Love this decadent delight. Should come with its own cake tin.

09-20-2013 15:38:29 | More by brewskifan55
TheSamKuehn

3.61/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle courtesy of the one and only mhksucess . My west coast brother!! Served into a Bruery tulip glass.

Appearance: Looks good. Similar to appearance of '12 WC. Remember this is a BA wheat wine NOT a BA stout. A subtle pour created a very effervescent head, kinda like a 7up but faded fast.

Smell: A good wiff of the bottle once open: all tart green apple. No chocolate or sweetness. Uh oh. However, another big smell, this time from the glass: tart green apple almost entirely gone. Lots of super sweet chocolate, little tartness.

Taste: Front of the palate is mostly tart green apple. BUT, as it moves to the back of my palate I notice tartness fades and creamy, sugary white chocolate takes over. As I patiently wait and take small sips I'm noticing as it warms up to room temp it's mostly creamy, sugary white chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Couldn't ask for better.

Overall: Maybe it's something with the bottle? Once it's in a glass and sits for a while it completely changed and was enjoyable. People also need to remember that regardless of the name and description on the label it's still a wheat wine style beer. All said I will voluntary pick up a couple more of these as I suspect this will be really great with a year or two under its belt.

09-20-2013 05:43:36 | More by TheSamKuehn
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

750ml white waxed bottle poured into tulip 18/9/13 cheers Adam for sharing

A orange amber with plenty of sediment being moved around by a few slow bubbles, finger of soapy foam fizzes out quickly and leaves no lace, about what I expect considering the strength, long legs included

S smells strong of vanilla, soft caramel, and coco, the bourbon barrel comes out nicely with a little booze but well concealed all things considered, I wasn't expecting the chocolate in a beer this light in color, it might be in my head but it kinda smells like white chocolate, nose is strong and amazing

T a little citrus and cereal I wasn't smelling and everything else is toned down but the booze is a little stronger and a fair amount of wood

M its thick and syrupy but could use a few bubbles, a little heat but well managed, slightly numbing on the lips with some woody bourbon lingering

O smell alone bumps this one up a notch, I could smell this one all day but it didn't quite follow through in other areas, solid stuff don't get me wrong but the nose was by far the best thing going

the booze will get ya for sure, smells amazing and lacks nowhere, age worthy for sure and something I'd like to revisit years from now

09-19-2013 02:36:17 | More by wordemupg
drabmuh

Maryland

3.89/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

At the time of this review, this is #1 on the "Top Beers - Wheatwine" list on beeradvocate.com....fun. Served in a Bruery tulip. Beer is amber and hazy with a wispy white head of small bubbles, no lacing, low carbonation.

Aroma is sweet...smells like white chocloate.

I wonder about beers like this...did the Bruery make this beer and then name it or set out to make a beer that tastes like white chocolate. Nailed it. The beer is really sweet, pushing it but not over the edge, and has a nice vanilla flavor to it, creamy smooth, no alcohol sneaking through...thick bodied. It is a good beer but it is a committment to drink it. I won't turn it down in the future but it is a big task to drink this alone...one of the only wheatwines I think tastes good.

09-15-2013 20:01:05 | More by drabmuh
barleywinefiend

Washington

3.64/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: My bottle was a light gusher but when it was finished...Poured a light rusty like color with a dirty white cap, some lacing present vbut not much on head retention. Pretty fizzy, like overcarbonated head

S: Vanilla, oak, some faint cocoa. A wheat base is evident by smell and some booze stings the nostrils. A light bit of funk on their as well, a little bit of greenness almost

T: Another reviewer below sordove nailed it for me....boozey cream soda. You can tell there is a wheat base to it as a wheatwine because it sordove sticky sweet. Vanilla and oak tend to dminate for me, as does a little greennesss I would not desacribe as spoilage but young perhaps. I do believe this will go away in time. The cocoa is pretty tame. The finish is smoehwat hot, sweet, sticky with more creamcicle like flavor

M: Not as full as I expected, actually a bit overcarbonated making it feel thin and bubbly. Cloyingly sweet at times

O: I hope this beer rounds out and cleans up. Not bad right now but it has room for improvement, especially at the price point....

09-10-2013 17:43:38 | More by barleywinefiend
pkalix

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

yes, peach is the perfect description for the color of this. not transparent in any way, but not thick either. no head, no lace, and lots of floaties as I poured it into my Duvel glass.
white wine vinegar, bourbon, vanilla, candy and wine aromas.
white wine and vanilla, with the bourbon and some tartness on the tongue. but still very sweet, with a caramel apple-like flavor (with green apples of course).
very drinkable. very tasty. lighter on the tongue but (apparently) heavy on the alcohol (feeling-wise; I really cannot taste any alcohol in here). this is a very interesting brew. it is not a beer. it is a brew. it borders on a wine and something else in this fermentation sense, but beer in every category, as expected, is not the word for this. never the less, I like and intend to follow this up with something else. I have had a few of The Bruery's other offerings but nothing as fancy as this. I joined the Preservation Society and will get my first batch soon although i'm on the fence with the Or Xata, horchata. somebody said it's pretty good but I've never been much for novelty brews. although I do believe The Bruery just may have changed that opinion...
lots of caramel on the nose as I finish the first glass....
a light caramel syrup is the way to describe the look of this.
overall, I guess it's pretty good. it's a little sweet for my preferences, but it is absolutely delicious. i'm sure if I had someone else to share this huge bottle with I would be better off and not gagging so much. I will rate according to the first glass as I believe that is the fair thing to do. continuing to drink the entire bottle, with its sweetness, is utter folly...
I never got the cacao nibs in this though, although I suppose I could conjure the 'chocolate' portion of the name...

08-31-2013 23:49:29 | More by pkalix
JOrtt

2.86/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: When I looked at it, I thought man this one is going to be good. It has a nice deep barrel amber color to it with no head (it exploded out of the bottle when I first opened it up).

Smell: Little bit of bourbon but nothing else. Was expecting vanilla, caramel, etc... but nope

Taste: Sour, not very good. Was expecting something different. Maybe it was the wheat wine, I don't know. Didn't have previous editions, so I can't compare. Not happy with it though.

Mouthful: Extremely carbonated. As I stated, popped the cap and it gushed (more like exploded) out of the bottle. This left about 3/4 of the bottle left.

Overall: Not what I expected. I love The Bruery (I belong to the Preservation Club) and I saw this online to purchase. Bought two bottles, received next day shipping and cooled to 55 degrees. First bottle I thought was a fluke. Saw all these posts and deceided to pop other bottle. Won't buy again.

08-29-2013 02:25:24 | More by JOrtt
EliotRosewater

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

A - copper-orange color with minimal head. Very little lacing.

S - lots going on here. Vanilla is the most predominant aroma. Bourbon, oak and minor chocolate aromas are also to be found.

T - seems odd but the first I'm reminded of a cream soda. Definitely sweet. All the aromas come into play here. The high alcohol is tamed a bit by the sweetness but still noticeable.

M - not as syrupy as one might expect. Medium body with pretty good lingering finish.

O - my wife isn't a beer drinker but loves wine and ports. She actually likes this beer. Not something I'd like to drink more than once in a blue moon but it really succeeds as a good dessert beer.

08-25-2013 00:36:00 | More by EliotRosewater
Beerenauslese

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

2012 version. 14.25% ABV.

Very clear amber gold. Aggressive pour into a Teku glass produced a half inch head that dissipated very fast. Not much lacing.

Nose is interesting: boozy with a ton of oak, marshmallow, vanilla, walnuts and chocolate. Smells like white chocolate.

This has a really strong oak flavor, and possibly because of that, it seems more alcoholic than its rated 14.25% ABV. Some tawny port-like nutty flavors, a lot of vanilla and a little peach fruit or other stone fruit in the mid palate, while chocolate emerges in the finish. It is a big beer with a lot of different flavors. It is better cold, and loses integration as it warms up.

The body is medium and there is not much carbonation. Especially as it warms, the strong alcohol, oak, and vanilla elements become more harsh on the palate.

While this smells sweet, the taste lags behind, and I think it would be better if it tasted a bit sweeter. As it is, I would drink this beer colder with a dessert pairing.

08-17-2013 02:05:48 | More by Beerenauslese
Stevedore

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev +1%

75cl bottle from 2012, shared by Doug on 15 August. Poured into an unlabeled snifter.

Pours a thinnish-looking orange, straw coloured body. Not much head or lacing to be found here. Still, the colour throws me off because of the name White Chocolate, but I have to remember that this is not called that name for the looks.

Now the smell on this thing is amazing and unique. It smells like white chocolate fondue. It really does. So much vanilla, milk chocolate and some sugar in there with a splash of bourbon heat. I can't get over how much this beer smells like actual white chocolate. So awesome.

The taste isn't quite as white chocolatey as the smell, but it does follow quite a bit. Lots of vanilla, some bourbon, and some toffee and caramel with oak. The malt backbone on this beer is relatively small for the adjuncts that I taste here.. it's tasty in an unique way, runs rather hot like a typical Bruery beer.

Mouthfeel is a bit disappointingly thin. OK carbonation, not as much as I think this beer would need. Aftertaste is an interesting mixture of bourbon and milk chocolate sweetness.. gets a bit cloying as it warms up. Alcohol heat is actually decently strong at the beginning and it only gets stronger as it warms up.

The smell is the best thing about this beer. It's probably one of the best smelling beers I've ever had. The rest of the beer holds up rather well, but is nowhere near as awesome as the smell is. Worth trying at least once, but as with other Bruery beers, it's just not something I want to drink on a regular basis. Thanks again for sharing this one, Doug!

08-16-2013 06:33:16 | More by Stevedore
macrosmatic

3.41/5  rDev -18%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to eyebereej for sending this bottle! Reviewed from notes. Poured from 750 mL bottle into a Russian River snifter.

A: Pours a hazy deep gold, with a thin white head that fades fast despite lots of visible carbonation.

S: Big barrel presence, fairly boozy, with vanilla, oak, and a restrained cacao with a noticeable sweet bready malt.

T: Barrel flavors lead the way here as well. Then vanilla, booze, wheat, malts (caramel, and more
toffee shows up as the beer warms slightly). A bit grainy, and the cacao is still a bit more subdued than expected. Overall stays sweet into the finish.

M: Sticky mouthfeel, a lighter body than expected, and the alcohol is quite noticeable but still doesn't seem overly hot. Low carbonation sensation despite all the visible bubbles.

O: I don't know that I'm going to be able to explain this one. It just really didn't do it for me. I think the amount of maltiness didn't stand up to the treatments, and it's just too sweet to drink much of. It lacks the heft of a nice barrel-aged barleywine. I was really looking forward to this beer, and just came away disappointed. In general, I'd be tempted to give it a second go, but at this price point I don't know that I will.

08-12-2013 22:03:38 | More by macrosmatic
GonzoHomebrewer

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle courtesy of oline73, thanks again!

A- not a good looking beer, pours a rusty muddled brown-orange with a head I'd be disappointed with if I saw on my homebrew. Alas, it is barrel aged, so I won't be too harsh

S- Vanilla with the familiar wheatwine alcohol heat

T- BOOM! it all works! open up first as a vanilla shake then fades into a finish of creamy white chocolate, amazing

M- perfect, thick body that holds the flavors well and even adds to the experience keeping the milkshake flavors together with a milkshake like body, no sign of the alcohol from the nose

O- Beer doesn't look all the great and the nose isn't earth shattering, but everything is amazing. Great beer, very interesting idea, worth seeking out!

08-12-2013 18:58:18 | More by GonzoHomebrewer
Scotchboy

Idaho

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle graciously shared by sstorck, my portion into a Stone chalice.

A: Clear gold with no head, some carbonation is visible though.

S: Huge vanilla and cocoa powder aroma, lots of oak as well...fairly subdued booze (I was expecting more of a beast!) but still plenty of bourbon, whiskey, even vinous notes. Tangy & bready wheat component in there as well. Sweet and intense.

T: Really follows the nose, the burn is quite manageable and cuts the sugary sweet base of this beer quite a bit. Big vanilla finish give the impression of extra-sugary white chocolate. Oak, bourbon, and wheat...still a bit vinous with a good amount of whiskey/bourbon character. Warming finish, for sure.

MF: Creamy and smooth, this still feels like its a touch short of full-bodied...maybe thats the alcohol cutting into it some? Lower carbonation, as expected, turns this into a slow sipper.

O: Pretty awesome; this is my first wheatwine and I doubt it'll get much better than this. BIG, sugary sweet beer; LOTS of vanilla, oak, white chocolate, and bourbon here. Split this bottle several ways, and take your time ;)

Thanks sstorck!

07-22-2013 13:50:16 | More by Scotchboy
notchucknorris

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Let me start by saying that I'm really not a fan of the base beer. That said, this stuff is freaking amazing.

A: Pours a light apricot color with a thin and foamy cream colored head.

S: Wheat mixed with white chocolate, cocoa powder, marshmallow and just a hint of booze.

T: One of my friends I was tasting this with called it best- this tastes like a White Chocolate Clif Bar. It's almost identical to the white chocolate coating that they use. I get cocoa, bourbon, milk chocolate, a lingering, almost sour finish and just a touch of oak. Slight burn from the booze, but this beer is just money.

07-15-2013 01:46:11 | More by notchucknorris
zipper8650

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Good Beer 4th of July
poured down the middle, tulip
A - thin white head, goes away quick, hazy orange marmalade color
S - not a big fan at first but grows on me quickly. sweet, cookies, boozy, raw cocoa, vanilla, i can see the white chocolate connection. gets so much better as it warms up
T - very boozy, I wish it had less heat, vanilla, again, the name makes sense
M - nice, nothing crazy but about what a good quality wheatwine should be
O - disappointed because of the heat and booze, really love the smell
Skol

07-04-2013 23:11:02 | More by zipper8650
MacQ32

South Carolina

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - pours a glowing yellow/gold with minimal white head, no lacing to speak of, minimal retention.

S - white chocolate, almonds, sweet vanilla bourbon, sweet semi dry white wine and coconut.

T - boozy bourbon (lots of vanilla, some oak) white chocolate initially, lots of sweet/semi tart white wine, vanilla, coconut, maybe even some raisins, maple syrup. The white chocolate is dead

M - medium bodied+, decently carbonated but still very smooth

O - absolutely delicious

06-30-2013 03:08:36 | More by MacQ32
vicsju1991

4.99/5  rDev +20%

shared with three others poured from bottle into stout glass
A - small white head that disappears quickly, medium coppery brown colour, kind of looks like a cider
S - vanilla, chocolate, some boozy notes but not to heavy
T - follows the nose, very choclatey, not much alcohol heat at all, theres a tiny bit of coconut in it as well
m - smooth, easy to drink
O - very delicious beer, im a big fan of wheatwines, although I don't get to try many

06-16-2013 00:19:11 | More by vicsju1991
xnicknj

4.29/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750mL bottle poured into FW mini-snifter - thanks to egadbananas

Glowing light golden pour with a thin bone white head resting on top. Specks of lacing dot the glass while drinking.

Like a boozy dessert in a glass - assorted scents of birthday cake, vanilla, bourbon, oak, caramel, coconut and syrup. Sweet and warm.

Booze-soaked white chocolate right up front, punctuated by a variety of decadent, warm, sweet flavors. Drizzled in honey and syrup, the vanilla beans combine with oak and bourbon for continuing warmth. Birthday cake, vanilla icing, caramel and a thick wheat backbone. Full flavored, for sure, wildly sweet, but incredibly flavorful throughout.

Full bodied, milder carbonation, creamy, sticky and soft on the tongue. Similar to what others have said, this beer is wildly expressive and flavorful, although insanely sweet and rich. We split a bottle between 4 people and finished every drop.

06-10-2013 12:57:33 | More by xnicknj
cxr1037

4.19/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Consumed on 6/8/13, paired with white chocolate bark.

Smells like someone dropped white chocolate into a bottle of bourbon. Obviously white chocolate, oak, bourbon.

Taste was much the same. This was a truly decadent beer! However, I don't know how often I could have something like this without getting sick. It tastes strong (which it most certainly is), and it's almost sickly sweet (though maybe that's because I was eating white chocolate alongside it!).

Mouthfeel was very pleasant. Moderate carbonation. It feels heavy in the mouth, but not like syrup, which is what I was thinking it would be like.

Overall a fantastic product. I would strongly recommend pairing this with white chocolate desserts. However, any more than the 4 or 5 ounces I had would probably result in me feeling quite ill.

06-10-2013 02:06:08 | More by cxr1037
maximum12

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Blessings on the alley of bigdaddypolite for this bottle, pulled from his stash as a Reserve Society member. As a card-carrying lover of wheatwines, this was high on my list. Now it's in my glass. 750ML bottle split with my wife.

The pour is an opaque apricot that borders on still water. Nose is wildly like White Bark Chocolate, along with a ton of vanilla & some caramel. My wife says it smells like my Belgian Waffles with bourbon maple syrup on them. I'm taking that as a complement.

White Chocolate resembles a wheatwine, & a beer, only to someone who might not know what those words mean in English; this is a huge beer. Bourbon is rampant, the white chocolate is a sweet blast on the tongue, & hand-cranked vanilla ice cream. Caramel present but bludgeoned to death by its overbearing neighbors. Wheat? None I can sense. Don't drink this near open flames, there's enough alcohol to make my eyes begin to glaze over. Amazingly smooth, almost creamy, slips down the throat with velvet ease. Pretty sure I could take down the whole bomber. Not so sure I could make it up two flights of stairs afterwards.

This 'beer' most closely resembles a fancy after-dinner chocolate liquer, both in taste, apparent alcohol content, & mouthfeel. The Bruery knows how to make big beer bombs, both the good kind & the bad. This is one of the former. Sneaking over the border of excellent.

06-05-2013 02:38:59 | More by maximum12
sweemzander

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

750mL waxed bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks to Matt for sharing!

(A)- Pours a hazy golden orange color. Produced some white froth and lacing.

(S)- So sweet! I totally get the name of this beer with the sheer and pure mountains of white chocolate this has in the aroma. One of the few times the name really does fit how the beer truly is.

(T)- Again, the name totally fits this. A huge sweet and rich white chocolate profile. Really no other way to describe this other than an immensely sweet, liquid alcoholic white chocolate.

(M)- A mellow carbonation level meets and extremely sweet white chocolate profile. Damn is this sweet though. Almost cloyingly too sweet for me.

(O)- This is so sugary sweet, but damn it does it fit the name perfectly. Very interesting to say the least. Very happy we split this 5 ways.

06-04-2013 19:58:58 | More by sweemzander
Resuin

4.41/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip glass. 2012 Edition.

Appearance: Pours a deep honey, amber color and leaves a finger of off-white head that fades very quickly.

Smell: Delicious bourbon, vanilla and chocolate, as well as some oak. Mouth-watering sweet scents. Finishes with a bit of bourbon heat.

Taste: Plenty of tasty bourbon and malts. Finishes with light chocolate and strong vanilla - definitely reminds me of savory white chocolate! Amazing finish. A touch of heat just before the finish, but not overbearing at all. Also some oak and a touch of wheat in there.

Mouth-feel: Medium carbonation with a medium body. Nice and creamy, and there is a bit of heat but it is still relatively smooth.

Overall: I was very pleased with this brew. The time in the barrels gave this beer some really nice bourbon flavors and the vanilla and cacao gave it an incredible finish. Definitely a very tasty sipper.

06-01-2013 22:46:49 | More by Resuin
ThickNStout

Georgia

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

750mL bottle acquired through the Reserve Society. No bottle date but I believe it has only been bottled once in late 2012. Served in a Terrapin snifter.

Pours a hazy opaque lemon orange hue with about a half finger pale head. The head quickly recedes to a halo that leaves no lace. I don't think I've ever seen such a pale hue with this much opacity. Not cloudy but no transparency. It's a beauty.

Wow! Smells like straight up white chocolate with vanilla, bourbon, wax, a sweet fruit character and a whiff of alcohol.

My nose wasn't lying. A deliciously complex blend of flavors including vanilla, sweet cream, white chocolate, bourbon, honey, caramel, some sort of funky fruity yeast type notes, candy sugar, sweet wax and a sharp swift kick of booze that seems right at home in the mixture. As it gets to room temperature the flavors really open up even more. Amazing!

The feel is slightly effervescent but with a nice syrupy heavyness. Long sweet waxy white chocolate aftertaste.

I'll admit that as a huge fan of both wheatwines and white chocolate that I may be predisposed towards this but The Bruery has done a truly outstanding job here. Every aspect has been nailed. Hands down the best wheatwine I've had and definately in my top 3-5 beers. I'm super excited for the chance to buy more when they release it later this year.

05-25-2013 16:57:49 | More by ThickNStout