White Chocolate - The Bruery

White ChocolateWhite Chocolate

The Bruery visit their website

Wheatwine |  14.75% ABV

The primary component of our "White Oak" ale is a 100% barrel aged wheat wine that we affectionately refer to as "White Oak Sap." Essentially a "summer" barley-wine style ale, but made with a wheat heavy grain base, White Oak Sap is aged in used bourbon barrels for nearly a year and comes out rich in flavors of coconut, honey, caramel and vanilla. To compliment the already rich flavors of the beer, we've added cacao nibs and vanilla beans to give this beer the delicate flavor of white chocolate...hence the name.

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-07-2012)
4.56/5  rDev +9.6%

4.11/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: Deep orange, thin white head, little lacing. Acceptable for 15% and Barrel Aged.

Aroma: Very rich and intense malt character of toffee, oak, and some cocoa nib.

Flavor: Pretty boozy up front. Lots of oaky tannins, and malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Lots of residual sugar to beef up the body, but thin thinned out by the booze.

Overall: Great beer, but I actually prefer White Oak for it's drinkability. The flavor is great in this one, but the heat makes it tough to put down.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

From the bottle.

Cloudy orange haze with a blonde hue at the bottom. Fizzy cream-colored head. 4

Chocolatey. Sweet gooey chocolate. Kind of reminds me of chocolate chip cookies. Some tart citrus. Delicious. 4.5

Slight tart wheatiness, then sweet chocolate. I kind of associate this with an orange cordial, tart citrus, chocolate and creamy caramel. 4

Slightly tart, touch of booze and has a quality that makes you sip it slowly. The mind knows this beer is big and will kick your ass. 4

Pretty good, but for the price, probably should have been better still.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

4.44/5  rDev +6.7%

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Bottled 8/8/2014. Infected bottle.

I am a preservation society member for 2014 living in Virginia. I have the beer shipped to my sister who lives in California. Then a very kind family member who lives on the east coast, but not in Virginia, brought this bottle back to the east coast. Then i picked this bottle up. That's a lot of work to get this beer. I paid $30 plus shipping, minus the preservation society discount for this beer, plus all that additional work for me and other family members. I expect better quality control from The Bruery than the infected bottle I received.

The beer tasted like funky bourbon. Extremely carbonated - made my tongue tingle. No chocolate, no sweetness, no vanilla. Just very disappointed. I could drink the bottle and didn't get sick or anything. But didn't taste as expected.

I am sorry, but given the effort taken to get this bottle, I am not going to give a 4.75 score to an infected beer when I am expecting something else. I appreciate the efforts of The Bruery to avoid contamination by splitting their sours off as Bruery Terreux. Hopefully I can try a non-infected White Chocolate soon.

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%