White Chocolate - The Bruery

White ChocolateWhite Chocolate

The Bruery visit their website

Wheatwine |  14.75% ABV

The primary component of our "White Oak" ale is a 100% barrel aged wheat wine that we affectionately refer to as "White Oak Sap." Essentially a "summer" barley-wine style ale, but made with a wheat heavy grain base, White Oak Sap is aged in used bourbon barrels for nearly a year and comes out rich in flavors of coconut, honey, caramel and vanilla. To compliment the already rich flavors of the beer, we've added cacao nibs and vanilla beans to give this beer the delicate flavor of white chocolate...hence the name.

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-07-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
sleuthdog

09-02-2013 13:47:58 | More by sleuthdog
wolf_switzer

09-01-2013 04:13:39 | More by wolf_switzer
pkalix

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

yes, peach is the perfect description for the color of this. not transparent in any way, but not thick either. no head, no lace, and lots of floaties as I poured it into my Duvel glass.
white wine vinegar, bourbon, vanilla, candy and wine aromas.
white wine and vanilla, with the bourbon and some tartness on the tongue. but still very sweet, with a caramel apple-like flavor (with green apples of course).
very drinkable. very tasty. lighter on the tongue but (apparently) heavy on the alcohol (feeling-wise; I really cannot taste any alcohol in here). this is a very interesting brew. it is not a beer. it is a brew. it borders on a wine and something else in this fermentation sense, but beer in every category, as expected, is not the word for this. never the less, I like and intend to follow this up with something else. I have had a few of The Bruery's other offerings but nothing as fancy as this. I joined the Preservation Society and will get my first batch soon although i'm on the fence with the Or Xata, horchata. somebody said it's pretty good but I've never been much for novelty brews. although I do believe The Bruery just may have changed that opinion...
lots of caramel on the nose as I finish the first glass....
a light caramel syrup is the way to describe the look of this.
overall, I guess it's pretty good. it's a little sweet for my preferences, but it is absolutely delicious. i'm sure if I had someone else to share this huge bottle with I would be better off and not gagging so much. I will rate according to the first glass as I believe that is the fair thing to do. continuing to drink the entire bottle, with its sweetness, is utter folly...
I never got the cacao nibs in this though, although I suppose I could conjure the 'chocolate' portion of the name...

08-31-2013 23:49:29 | More by pkalix
BullBearHawk

08-31-2013 03:47:02 | More by BullBearHawk
mcdonald422

08-30-2013 06:16:47 | More by mcdonald422
JOrtt

2.86/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: When I looked at it, I thought man this one is going to be good. It has a nice deep barrel amber color to it with no head (it exploded out of the bottle when I first opened it up).

Smell: Little bit of bourbon but nothing else. Was expecting vanilla, caramel, etc... but nope

Taste: Sour, not very good. Was expecting something different. Maybe it was the wheat wine, I don't know. Didn't have previous editions, so I can't compare. Not happy with it though.

Mouthful: Extremely carbonated. As I stated, popped the cap and it gushed (more like exploded) out of the bottle. This left about 3/4 of the bottle left.

Overall: Not what I expected. I love The Bruery (I belong to the Preservation Club) and I saw this online to purchase. Bought two bottles, received next day shipping and cooled to 55 degrees. First bottle I thought was a fluke. Saw all these posts and deceided to pop other bottle. Won't buy again.

08-29-2013 02:25:24 | More by JOrtt

Connecticut

08-25-2013 14:36:33 | More by Atomicskis5
EliotRosewater

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

A - copper-orange color with minimal head. Very little lacing.

S - lots going on here. Vanilla is the most predominant aroma. Bourbon, oak and minor chocolate aromas are also to be found.

T - seems odd but the first I'm reminded of a cream soda. Definitely sweet. All the aromas come into play here. The high alcohol is tamed a bit by the sweetness but still noticeable.

M - not as syrupy as one might expect. Medium body with pretty good lingering finish.

O - my wife isn't a beer drinker but loves wine and ports. She actually likes this beer. Not something I'd like to drink more than once in a blue moon but it really succeeds as a good dessert beer.

08-25-2013 00:36:00 | More by EliotRosewater

08-19-2013 16:43:11 | More by Soneast
Rizalini

Nevada

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Had the pleasure of trying this one on-tap @ Aces & Ales Strong Beer Fest, served in a 4oz. taster glass...

A - The pull pours a hazy peach color, with a minimal off-white color head. Very sparce dots of lace are left as I sip.

S - The initial smell is huge in bourbon! When I sniff more, and work past the bourbon, there are notes of vanilla, caramel & oak.

T/M - The taste follows the nose almost exactally, with lingering notes of dark fruits. Very bourbon forward, with an oakey vanilla finish. Medium mouthfeel, low carbonation.

O - This is a VERY good wheatwine, but the bourbon dominates the flavor. Alcohol warmth is very present, but it is 14.5%. Hard to consider this a summertime wheatwine when it drinks like a big, slow sippin brew. Glad I had the chance to try this one on tap. I would drink it again.

08-19-2013 07:34:56 | More by Rizalini