White Chocolate - The Bruery

White ChocolateWhite Chocolate

The Bruery visit their website

Wheatwine |  14.75% ABV

The primary component of our "White Oak" ale is a 100% barrel aged wheat wine that we affectionately refer to as "White Oak Sap." Essentially a "summer" barley-wine style ale, but made with a wheat heavy grain base, White Oak Sap is aged in used bourbon barrels for nearly a year and comes out rich in flavors of coconut, honey, caramel and vanilla. To compliment the already rich flavors of the beer, we've added cacao nibs and vanilla beans to give this beer the delicate flavor of white chocolate...hence the name.

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-07-2012)

4.99/5  rDev +20%

shared with three others poured from bottle into stout glass
A - small white head that disappears quickly, medium coppery brown colour, kind of looks like a cider
S - vanilla, chocolate, some boozy notes but not to heavy
T - follows the nose, very choclatey, not much alcohol heat at all, theres a tiny bit of coconut in it as well
m - smooth, easy to drink
O - very delicious beer, im a big fan of wheatwines, although I don't get to try many

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

4.86/5  rDev +16.8%

Didn't know what to think about this beer before I tried it. I really thought I wasn't going to like it. Instead it is one of my favorite beers out there. It actually taste like white chocolate. It is beyond delicious. The bottom of the bottle gets a little murky but the flavor is still there. I love this beer!

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

750mL bottle acquired through the Reserve Society. No bottle date but I believe it has only been bottled once in late 2012. Served in a Terrapin snifter.

Pours a hazy opaque lemon orange hue with about a half finger pale head. The head quickly recedes to a halo that leaves no lace. I don't think I've ever seen such a pale hue with this much opacity. Not cloudy but no transparency. It's a beauty.

Wow! Smells like straight up white chocolate with vanilla, bourbon, wax, a sweet fruit character and a whiff of alcohol.

My nose wasn't lying. A deliciously complex blend of flavors including vanilla, sweet cream, white chocolate, bourbon, honey, caramel, some sort of funky fruity yeast type notes, candy sugar, sweet wax and a sharp swift kick of booze that seems right at home in the mixture. As it gets to room temperature the flavors really open up even more. Amazing!

The feel is slightly effervescent but with a nice syrupy heavyness. Long sweet waxy white chocolate aftertaste.

I'll admit that as a huge fan of both wheatwines and white chocolate that I may be predisposed towards this but The Bruery has done a truly outstanding job here. Every aspect has been nailed. Hands down the best wheatwine I've had and definately in my top 3-5 beers. I'm super excited for the chance to buy more when they release it later this year.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

2012 edition. I tried an infected 2013 version and, while interesting, wasn't appropriate to review.

A: Ripe apricot. Hazy. Barely any lacing.

S: Big bourbon barrel character with caramel, vanilla, and butterscotch.

T: Very hot. Once the booze burn dissipates you get a wash of vanilla and caramel. The cacao nibs aren't particularly noticeable but that may be the light color affecting my experience of the flavor. There's an apple-esque tartness in the finish; not an infection tartness but perhaps some esters from the base wheatwine.

M: Not as thick as I had anticipated but very hot. The burn runs from the mouth all the way to the stomach.

O: It's a pleasure finally getting to try this. A beautiful scent, a good flavor. Was it worth the hunt? Perhaps, perhaps not. I am, however, looking forward to trying the next version.

Updated for 2014 edition:

T: Not as hot. Lots of caramel, vanilla, and the oaky/coconut flavors of the wood. This is exactly what I was hoping for when I tried it the first time.

O: Amazing. Drink this one fresh-ish so that the vanilla doesn't fall off too much.

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%