White Chocolate - The Bruery

White ChocolateWhite Chocolate

The Bruery visit their website

Wheatwine |  14.75% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-07-2012

The primary component of our "White Oak" ale is a 100% barrel aged wheat wine that we affectionately refer to as "White Oak Sap." Essentially a "summer" barley-wine style ale, but made with a wheat heavy grain base, White Oak Sap is aged in used bourbon barrels for nearly a year and comes out rich in flavors of coconut, honey, caramel and vanilla. To compliment the already rich flavors of the beer, we've added cacao nibs and vanilla beans to give this beer the delicate flavor of white chocolate...hence the name.
Ratings: 1,039 | Reviews: 140
3.77/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 750ml into a Bruery tulip. 2013 vintage. Released around 8/1/13, so around 3 mos old now. Bought from the Bruery for $29.99 ($25.50 w/ discount). Note: Bottle did not gush or explode when opened. Did have way to much wax on it.

A - Very cloudy apricot color. Looks like unfiltered apple cider. Not the most appealing. Eggshell head leaves minimal lacing.

S - Coconut, vanilla, butterscotch, white chocolate, tartness. Very pungent and a lot going on. Enjoyable.

T - The coconut, vanilla, and butterscotch are right up front. Then the tartness hits you. It is very subtle, not vinegary, more tart apple flavor. On the end you get the creamy white chocolate.

M - Body is on the light side of full. Doesn't coat your mouth, but has some substance. Has a slightly watery finish, not isn't the best.

O - Had the 2012 and thought it was much better from what I remember. Fuller body and lower tartness. Will open a 2012 in the next few days to compare.

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

(2013 WC)
Beautiful appearance, (some sembelance of a hazy) light orange with initial 1.5 inch head which quickly dissipates.
Smell is that of bourbon, milk chocolate, and vanilla.
Mouthfeel is soft, some degree of cloying but just the right amount. Very low carbonation.
Taste is fun! Small degree of citrus from the wheat, followed by chocolate notes and vanilla, lots of vanilla (maybe too much)
Alcohol is present in some sips, others not so much. The only element I found to be out of whack was a little too much vanilla.
Overall better than I expected. Would buy again.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

A - The color of wheat. Golden brown and very cloudy. Lots of sediment floating around and very cloudy. Poured a thin white head that vanished pretty quickly. Not really sure how to rate the appearance of a wheat wine.

S - Very surprising how strong the white chocolate fragrance is. The white chocolate is followed up by a sour fruit smell of grapes, cranberries, and black berries.

T - Lots of chocolate that transforms into a white wine. The warmer this brew got the more the chocolate really stood out. Plenty of oak in the back end and the taste really finishes like a wine. Might be the most unique flavor I've tasted in a beer that is actually good.

M - Very light and VERY dry. Really drinks like a chardonnay. Very smooth for such a high ABV.

O - I'm very pleased with the uniqueness of this beer. This is a true work of art that I'm sure isn't for everyone. I'd love to try it on tap.

4.26/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served in a tumbler.

Normally, I'm not one to reach for the white chocolate (my preference lying with the dark or peanut butter-filled), but who am I to turn down some barrel-aged wheatwine goodness? This stuff pours a hazy auburn topped by a half-finger or so of off-white foam. The nose comprises sweet bourbon, light candied orange peel, vanilla bean, buttercream, light oak, and a twinge of booze. The taste brings in more of the same, the orange coming through a bit stronger, though tempered a bit by the booze. Still, the sweetness is what reigns supreme here, but not in a Southern Tier Creme Brulee sort of way: more restrained due to the overt cooperation of its constituent parts. Basically, the complexity of the sweetness plays off of itself, rather than having it serve to o'erwash all else as in the aforementioned New York-based stout. The body is a hefty medium, with a rather light moderate carbonation and a nearly chewy feel. Overall, a very nice wheatwine, one that somehow did not overdo things with the barrel and the additives, despite how easily it certainly could have. Good times.

4.09/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a snifter

A: Clear, golden with a white one-finger head that morphs to lingering bubbles. Minimal lacing.

S: chocolate cake in a glass. Tartness mixed with caramel and vanilla. Where's my fork?

T: Ooh, let's take a biscotti break. Coconut, caramel and vanilla with sweet sugar and honey. This is definitely a dessert beer. Alcohol is well hidden. Bourbon barrel notes seal the deal. I' m in love.

M: medium with medium sticky-sweet carbonation.

O: Love this decadent delight. Should come with its own cake tin.

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle courtesy of the one and only mhksucess . My west coast brother!! Served into a Bruery tulip glass.

Appearance: Looks good. Similar to appearance of '12 WC. Remember this is a BA wheat wine NOT a BA stout. A subtle pour created a very effervescent head, kinda like a 7up but faded fast.

Smell: A good wiff of the bottle once open: all tart green apple. No chocolate or sweetness. Uh oh. However, another big smell, this time from the glass: tart green apple almost entirely gone. Lots of super sweet chocolate, little tartness.

Taste: Front of the palate is mostly tart green apple. BUT, as it moves to the back of my palate I notice tartness fades and creamy, sugary white chocolate takes over. As I patiently wait and take small sips I'm noticing as it warms up to room temp it's mostly creamy, sugary white chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Couldn't ask for better.

Overall: Maybe it's something with the bottle? Once it's in a glass and sits for a while it completely changed and was enjoyable. People also need to remember that regardless of the name and description on the label it's still a wheat wine style beer. All said I will voluntary pick up a couple more of these as I suspect this will be really great with a year or two under its belt.

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

750ml white waxed bottle poured into tulip 18/9/13 cheers Adam for sharing

A orange amber with plenty of sediment being moved around by a few slow bubbles, finger of soapy foam fizzes out quickly and leaves no lace, about what I expect considering the strength, long legs included

S smells strong of vanilla, soft caramel, and coco, the bourbon barrel comes out nicely with a little booze but well concealed all things considered, I wasn't expecting the chocolate in a beer this light in color, it might be in my head but it kinda smells like white chocolate, nose is strong and amazing

T a little citrus and cereal I wasn't smelling and everything else is toned down but the booze is a little stronger and a fair amount of wood

M its thick and syrupy but could use a few bubbles, a little heat but well managed, slightly numbing on the lips with some woody bourbon lingering

O smell alone bumps this one up a notch, I could smell this one all day but it didn't quite follow through in other areas, solid stuff don't get me wrong but the nose was by far the best thing going

the booze will get ya for sure, smells amazing and lacks nowhere, age worthy for sure and something I'd like to revisit years from now

3.89/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

At the time of this review, this is #1 on the "Top Beers - Wheatwine" list on beeradvocate.com....fun. Served in a Bruery tulip. Beer is amber and hazy with a wispy white head of small bubbles, no lacing, low carbonation.

Aroma is sweet...smells like white chocloate.

I wonder about beers like this...did the Bruery make this beer and then name it or set out to make a beer that tastes like white chocolate. Nailed it. The beer is really sweet, pushing it but not over the edge, and has a nice vanilla flavor to it, creamy smooth, no alcohol sneaking through...thick bodied. It is a good beer but it is a committment to drink it. I won't turn it down in the future but it is a big task to drink this alone...one of the only wheatwines I think tastes good.

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: My bottle was a light gusher but when it was finished...Poured a light rusty like color with a dirty white cap, some lacing present vbut not much on head retention. Pretty fizzy, like overcarbonated head

S: Vanilla, oak, some faint cocoa. A wheat base is evident by smell and some booze stings the nostrils. A light bit of funk on their as well, a little bit of greenness almost

T: Another reviewer below sordove nailed it for me....boozey cream soda. You can tell there is a wheat base to it as a wheatwine because it sordove sticky sweet. Vanilla and oak tend to dminate for me, as does a little greennesss I would not desacribe as spoilage but young perhaps. I do believe this will go away in time. The cocoa is pretty tame. The finish is smoehwat hot, sweet, sticky with more creamcicle like flavor

M: Not as full as I expected, actually a bit overcarbonated making it feel thin and bubbly. Cloyingly sweet at times

O: I hope this beer rounds out and cleans up. Not bad right now but it has room for improvement, especially at the price point....

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

yes, peach is the perfect description for the color of this. not transparent in any way, but not thick either. no head, no lace, and lots of floaties as I poured it into my Duvel glass.
white wine vinegar, bourbon, vanilla, candy and wine aromas.
white wine and vanilla, with the bourbon and some tartness on the tongue. but still very sweet, with a caramel apple-like flavor (with green apples of course).
very drinkable. very tasty. lighter on the tongue but (apparently) heavy on the alcohol (feeling-wise; I really cannot taste any alcohol in here). this is a very interesting brew. it is not a beer. it is a brew. it borders on a wine and something else in this fermentation sense, but beer in every category, as expected, is not the word for this. never the less, I like and intend to follow this up with something else. I have had a few of The Bruery's other offerings but nothing as fancy as this. I joined the Preservation Society and will get my first batch soon although i'm on the fence with the Or Xata, horchata. somebody said it's pretty good but I've never been much for novelty brews. although I do believe The Bruery just may have changed that opinion...
lots of caramel on the nose as I finish the first glass....
a light caramel syrup is the way to describe the look of this.
overall, I guess it's pretty good. it's a little sweet for my preferences, but it is absolutely delicious. i'm sure if I had someone else to share this huge bottle with I would be better off and not gagging so much. I will rate according to the first glass as I believe that is the fair thing to do. continuing to drink the entire bottle, with its sweetness, is utter folly...
I never got the cacao nibs in this though, although I suppose I could conjure the 'chocolate' portion of the name...

2.89/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: When I looked at it, I thought man this one is going to be good. It has a nice deep barrel amber color to it with no head (it exploded out of the bottle when I first opened it up).

Smell: Little bit of bourbon but nothing else. Was expecting vanilla, caramel, etc... but nope

Taste: Sour, not very good. Was expecting something different. Maybe it was the wheat wine, I don't know. Didn't have previous editions, so I can't compare. Not happy with it though.

Mouthful: Extremely carbonated. As I stated, popped the cap and it gushed (more like exploded) out of the bottle. This left about 3/4 of the bottle left.

Overall: Not what I expected. I love The Bruery (I belong to the Preservation Club) and I saw this online to purchase. Bought two bottles, received next day shipping and cooled to 55 degrees. First bottle I thought was a fluke. Saw all these posts and deceided to pop other bottle. Won't buy again.

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

A - copper-orange color with minimal head. Very little lacing.

S - lots going on here. Vanilla is the most predominant aroma. Bourbon, oak and minor chocolate aromas are also to be found.

T - seems odd but the first I'm reminded of a cream soda. Definitely sweet. All the aromas come into play here. The high alcohol is tamed a bit by the sweetness but still noticeable.

M - not as syrupy as one might expect. Medium body with pretty good lingering finish.

O - my wife isn't a beer drinker but loves wine and ports. She actually likes this beer. Not something I'd like to drink more than once in a blue moon but it really succeeds as a good dessert beer.

4.11/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Had the pleasure of trying this one on-tap @ Aces & Ales Strong Beer Fest, served in a 4oz. taster glass...

A - The pull pours a hazy peach color, with a minimal off-white color head. Very sparce dots of lace are left as I sip.

S - The initial smell is huge in bourbon! When I sniff more, and work past the bourbon, there are notes of vanilla, caramel & oak.

T/M - The taste follows the nose almost exactally, with lingering notes of dark fruits. Very bourbon forward, with an oakey vanilla finish. Medium mouthfeel, low carbonation.

O - This is a VERY good wheatwine, but the bourbon dominates the flavor. Alcohol warmth is very present, but it is 14.5%. Hard to consider this a summertime wheatwine when it drinks like a big, slow sippin brew. Glad I had the chance to try this one on tap. I would drink it again.

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

2012 version. 14.25% ABV.

Very clear amber gold. Aggressive pour into a Teku glass produced a half inch head that dissipated very fast. Not much lacing.

Nose is interesting: boozy with a ton of oak, marshmallow, vanilla, walnuts and chocolate. Smells like white chocolate.

This has a really strong oak flavor, and possibly because of that, it seems more alcoholic than its rated 14.25% ABV. Some tawny port-like nutty flavors, a lot of vanilla and a little peach fruit or other stone fruit in the mid palate, while chocolate emerges in the finish. It is a big beer with a lot of different flavors. It is better cold, and loses integration as it warms up.

The body is medium and there is not much carbonation. Especially as it warms, the strong alcohol, oak, and vanilla elements become more harsh on the palate.

While this smells sweet, the taste lags behind, and I think it would be better if it tasted a bit sweeter. As it is, I would drink this beer colder with a dessert pairing.

4.24/5  rDev +1.9%

75cl bottle from 2012, shared by Doug on 15 August. Poured into an unlabeled snifter.

Pours a thinnish-looking orange, straw coloured body. Not much head or lacing to be found here. Still, the colour throws me off because of the name White Chocolate, but I have to remember that this is not called that name for the looks.

Now the smell on this thing is amazing and unique. It smells like white chocolate fondue. It really does. So much vanilla, milk chocolate and some sugar in there with a splash of bourbon heat. I can't get over how much this beer smells like actual white chocolate. So awesome.

The taste isn't quite as white chocolatey as the smell, but it does follow quite a bit. Lots of vanilla, some bourbon, and some toffee and caramel with oak. The malt backbone on this beer is relatively small for the adjuncts that I taste here.. it's tasty in an unique way, runs rather hot like a typical Bruery beer.

Mouthfeel is a bit disappointingly thin. OK carbonation, not as much as I think this beer would need. Aftertaste is an interesting mixture of bourbon and milk chocolate sweetness.. gets a bit cloying as it warms up. Alcohol heat is actually decently strong at the beginning and it only gets stronger as it warms up.

The smell is the best thing about this beer. It's probably one of the best smelling beers I've ever had. The rest of the beer holds up rather well, but is nowhere near as awesome as the smell is. Worth trying at least once, but as with other Bruery beers, it's just not something I want to drink on a regular basis. Thanks again for sharing this one, Doug!

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to eyebereej for sending this bottle! Reviewed from notes. Poured from 750 mL bottle into a Russian River snifter.

A: Pours a hazy deep gold, with a thin white head that fades fast despite lots of visible carbonation.

S: Big barrel presence, fairly boozy, with vanilla, oak, and a restrained cacao with a noticeable sweet bready malt.

T: Barrel flavors lead the way here as well. Then vanilla, booze, wheat, malts (caramel, and more
toffee shows up as the beer warms slightly). A bit grainy, and the cacao is still a bit more subdued than expected. Overall stays sweet into the finish.

M: Sticky mouthfeel, a lighter body than expected, and the alcohol is quite noticeable but still doesn't seem overly hot. Low carbonation sensation despite all the visible bubbles.

O: I don't know that I'm going to be able to explain this one. It just really didn't do it for me. I think the amount of maltiness didn't stand up to the treatments, and it's just too sweet to drink much of. It lacks the heft of a nice barrel-aged barleywine. I was really looking forward to this beer, and just came away disappointed. In general, I'd be tempted to give it a second go, but at this price point I don't know that I will.

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle courtesy of oline73, thanks again!

A- not a good looking beer, pours a rusty muddled brown-orange with a head I'd be disappointed with if I saw on my homebrew. Alas, it is barrel aged, so I won't be too harsh

S- Vanilla with the familiar wheatwine alcohol heat

T- BOOM! it all works! open up first as a vanilla shake then fades into a finish of creamy white chocolate, amazing

M- perfect, thick body that holds the flavors well and even adds to the experience keeping the milkshake flavors together with a milkshake like body, no sign of the alcohol from the nose

O- Beer doesn't look all the great and the nose isn't earth shattering, but everything is amazing. Great beer, very interesting idea, worth seeking out!

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle graciously shared by sstorck, my portion into a Stone chalice.

A: Clear gold with no head, some carbonation is visible though.

S: Huge vanilla and cocoa powder aroma, lots of oak as well...fairly subdued booze (I was expecting more of a beast!) but still plenty of bourbon, whiskey, even vinous notes. Tangy & bready wheat component in there as well. Sweet and intense.

T: Really follows the nose, the burn is quite manageable and cuts the sugary sweet base of this beer quite a bit. Big vanilla finish give the impression of extra-sugary white chocolate. Oak, bourbon, and wheat...still a bit vinous with a good amount of whiskey/bourbon character. Warming finish, for sure.

MF: Creamy and smooth, this still feels like its a touch short of full-bodied...maybe thats the alcohol cutting into it some? Lower carbonation, as expected, turns this into a slow sipper.

O: Pretty awesome; this is my first wheatwine and I doubt it'll get much better than this. BIG, sugary sweet beer; LOTS of vanilla, oak, white chocolate, and bourbon here. Split this bottle several ways, and take your time ;)

Thanks sstorck!

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Let me start by saying that I'm really not a fan of the base beer. That said, this stuff is freaking amazing.

A: Pours a light apricot color with a thin and foamy cream colored head.

S: Wheat mixed with white chocolate, cocoa powder, marshmallow and just a hint of booze.

T: One of my friends I was tasting this with called it best- this tastes like a White Chocolate Clif Bar. It's almost identical to the white chocolate coating that they use. I get cocoa, bourbon, milk chocolate, a lingering, almost sour finish and just a touch of oak. Slight burn from the booze, but this beer is just money.

4.12/5  rDev -1%

Good Beer 4th of July
poured down the middle, tulip
A - thin white head, goes away quick, hazy orange marmalade color
S - not a big fan at first but grows on me quickly. sweet, cookies, boozy, raw cocoa, vanilla, i can see the white chocolate connection. gets so much better as it warms up
T - very boozy, I wish it had less heat, vanilla, again, the name makes sense
M - nice, nothing crazy but about what a good quality wheatwine should be
O - disappointed because of the heat and booze, really love the smell
Skol

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - pours a glowing yellow/gold with minimal white head, no lacing to speak of, minimal retention.

S - white chocolate, almonds, sweet vanilla bourbon, sweet semi dry white wine and coconut.

T - boozy bourbon (lots of vanilla, some oak) white chocolate initially, lots of sweet/semi tart white wine, vanilla, coconut, maybe even some raisins, maple syrup. The white chocolate is dead

M - medium bodied+, decently carbonated but still very smooth

O - absolutely delicious

3.05/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

Served on-draught into a 50cl brandy stem-snifter at Beer Belly in Koreatown last week. Expectations were high. 14% according to their menu. Cost was $7.00 USD. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a one finger head of milky beige colour. Recedes quite fast; retention is a scant one minute at best. Forgivable given the insane ABV. Decent creaminess and thickness.

Body colour is a murky caramel-peach. Nontransparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Okay overall, but not unique or special.

Sm: Surprisingly timid. No alcohol is detectable - which is shocking. No yeast is detectable. Maybe some fermented peach? Caramalt. Tropical hop notes. Light vanilla/creme brulee character. Light malty sweetness. A surprisingly mild aroma for the style and ABV. Not off-putting, but not appealing either. There's little going on here to get excited about.

T: Sweet. Floral hops. Some cream. Peach fruit - as murky and unevocative as it can possibly be. Some alcohol does come through, but it's not boozy or hot. Malty body is indistinct and forgettable. Some generic caramalts. Restrained unremarkable vanilla. Balance is muddled and far from ideal. Kind of a mess, actually. There's some complexity, but no subtlety. I'm underwhelmed and disappointed. Some light white chocolate does come through, but it's hardly well integrated and there's nowhere near enough to justify naming the beer after it.

Mf: Smooth and wet. On the thicker side. Adequately carbonated. Not crisp, soft, oily, or harsh. Suits the flavour profile in a general detached careless sense. The texture certainly doesn't feel custom-tailored to the flavours. Unrefreshing. Pretty good presence on the palate. Pretty good body.

Dr: Quite drinkable for the ABV - I'll give it that. But boy am I sincerely disappointed; I'm shocked people pay a membership fee to buy beers as mediocre as this. Definitely not worth trading for. Severely underwhelming. I honestly wouldn't order this again. I hope it's better in bottled form. It hides its ABV well, but beyond that I really don't understand the appeal. I can't believe this is even talked about as a great beer. But in the words of a wise comedian, it'll get you drunk.

C+

4.99/5  rDev +20%

shared with three others poured from bottle into stout glass
A - small white head that disappears quickly, medium coppery brown colour, kind of looks like a cider
S - vanilla, chocolate, some boozy notes but not to heavy
T - follows the nose, very choclatey, not much alcohol heat at all, theres a tiny bit of coconut in it as well
m - smooth, easy to drink
O - very delicious beer, im a big fan of wheatwines, although I don't get to try many

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750mL bottle poured into FW mini-snifter - thanks to egadbananas

Glowing light golden pour with a thin bone white head resting on top. Specks of lacing dot the glass while drinking.

Like a boozy dessert in a glass - assorted scents of birthday cake, vanilla, bourbon, oak, caramel, coconut and syrup. Sweet and warm.

Booze-soaked white chocolate right up front, punctuated by a variety of decadent, warm, sweet flavors. Drizzled in honey and syrup, the vanilla beans combine with oak and bourbon for continuing warmth. Birthday cake, vanilla icing, caramel and a thick wheat backbone. Full flavored, for sure, wildly sweet, but incredibly flavorful throughout.

Full bodied, milder carbonation, creamy, sticky and soft on the tongue. Similar to what others have said, this beer is wildly expressive and flavorful, although insanely sweet and rich. We split a bottle between 4 people and finished every drop.

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Consumed on 6/8/13, paired with white chocolate bark.

Smells like someone dropped white chocolate into a bottle of bourbon. Obviously white chocolate, oak, bourbon.

Taste was much the same. This was a truly decadent beer! However, I don't know how often I could have something like this without getting sick. It tastes strong (which it most certainly is), and it's almost sickly sweet (though maybe that's because I was eating white chocolate alongside it!).

Mouthfeel was very pleasant. Moderate carbonation. It feels heavy in the mouth, but not like syrup, which is what I was thinking it would be like.

Overall a fantastic product. I would strongly recommend pairing this with white chocolate desserts. However, any more than the 4 or 5 ounces I had would probably result in me feeling quite ill.

White Chocolate from The Bruery