White Chocolate - The Bruery

White ChocolateWhite Chocolate

The Bruery visit their website

Wheatwine |  14.75% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-07-2012

The primary component of our "White Oak" ale is a 100% barrel aged wheat wine that we affectionately refer to as "White Oak Sap." Essentially a "summer" barley-wine style ale, but made with a wheat heavy grain base, White Oak Sap is aged in used bourbon barrels for nearly a year and comes out rich in flavors of coconut, honey, caramel and vanilla. To compliment the already rich flavors of the beer, we've added cacao nibs and vanilla beans to give this beer the delicate flavor of white chocolate...hence the name.

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

4.44/5  rDev +6.7%

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Bottled 8/8/2014. Infected bottle.

I am a preservation society member for 2014 living in Virginia. I have the beer shipped to my sister who lives in California. Then a very kind family member who lives on the east coast, but not in Virginia, brought this bottle back to the east coast. Then i picked this bottle up. That's a lot of work to get this beer. I paid $30 plus shipping, minus the preservation society discount for this beer, plus all that additional work for me and other family members. I expect better quality control from The Bruery than the infected bottle I received.

The beer tasted like funky bourbon. Extremely carbonated - made my tongue tingle. No chocolate, no sweetness, no vanilla. Just very disappointed. I could drink the bottle and didn't get sick or anything. But didn't taste as expected.

I am sorry, but given the effort taken to get this bottle, I am not going to give a 4.75 score to an infected beer when I am expecting something else. I appreciate the efforts of The Bruery to avoid contamination by splitting their sours off as Bruery Terreux. Hopefully I can try a non-infected White Chocolate soon.

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%