Provisions Series: A Stein’s Throw - The Bruery

good

The Bruery visit their website

American Strong Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-07-2012

This is the third release in our 2012 Provisions Series Local Collaborations Series. We've teamed up with our great friends at TAPS Brewery out of Brea for this beer and we made one of our most complicated beers to date. An amalgamation of a barley wine with a traditional stein beer, this strong, brown ale has an extra level of caramel complexity brought on by our use of granite rocks that were heated to 900º and added to the wort along with a generous addition of date sugar for added gravity. A Stein's Throw is rich with fruity esters and toffee richness, but finishes dry after being fermented with proprietary yeast strains from both The Bruery and TAPS.

4.4/5  rDev +22.9%

Poured into The Bruery tulip glass

From my beer journal:

Nose: Caramel, dates, burnt sugar, toffee, grape juice, figs, raisins, cola and slight alcohol.

Taste: Raisins, dates, caramel, figs, burnt sugar, caramel, grapes, toffee, a hint of booze and some spices.

Medium body.

I liked this a lot more than all these reviews led me to believe I would. One of my favorite Provisions series beers so far.

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

4.17/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours reddish brown with a big fluffy off-white head leaving decent retention and lacing down the glass.

Lots of caramel aroma with some dark fruits and candi sugar.

Flavor also features a ton of caramel along with raisin and fig (and I suppose dates). A little candi sugar sweetness with a tough of dark fruit. Strongly resembles a Belgian Quad.

Medium bodied somewhat sticky. Low to medium carbonation.

Enjoyed this beer more than I thought I would. Barleywine it is not though. Strongly reminded me of a Belgian quad although a good one.

4.12/5  rDev +15.1%

A: poure an amber brown in color with burgundy highlights and a nice finger of fluffy head that left some good frothy lacing sticking to the glass.

S: huge caramel aroma upfront with plenty of dark fruit character such as figs, raisins and dates but also sniffed burnt sugars semi booze and a touch of brown sugar.

T: the caramel character was just as potent on the palate like the nose suggested alongside toffee, brown sugar, dates, raisins, fig fruit, but with a little sweet burnt sugar, well balanced booze and a touch of underlying cherry flavor.

M: the brew was medium in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a sweet, slightly boozy, dark fruity and sticky finish,

O. Really was digging this beer which kind of reminded me of a belgian Quad.

3.98/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Very pretty plum tint when held to the light that fades to amber as you go. Barely a finger's worth of bubbly head that coats the glass without much lacing.

S: Really catch the dates here. Also figs, dark chocolate, flutter of cinnamon/nutmeg, not a strong alcohol presence.

T: Smokier than I expected! Roasted texture, almost minerally. Toasted hazelnuts, oats, and dates that follow through to the finish.

MF: Gentle carbonation. Coats the mouth nicely and doesn't leave a sugary film on the way down.

O: This was a mellow, roasty brew that surpassed my expectations. Sweeter, but not saccharine. Could have easily come across as a gimmicky beer, but it was thoroughly well-crafted.

3.97/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a hazy dark copper color with a smallish off white head that quickly dissipates to almost nothing on top. Smells of caramel and brown sugar with lots of apricots and dates. It smells pretty sweet but the burnt sugars and the fruit seem to balance that out a bit. The flavor is quite old aleish. Lots of sweet and caramelized sugars along with a hefty does of light and dark fruits. Prunes, plums, dates, raisins, caramel, brown sugar, and a touch of alcohol meld into quite a flavorful brew. Medium to thick body with a light to moderate level of carbonation and a sweet almost syrupy mouthfeel. I like this one, I wish I had some more to see how this develops.

3.91/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle into tulip.
Special delivery from TheSevenDuffs, he never ceases to amaze me.

A- Hazy burnt amber pour with light orange around the edges. Finger and a half egg shell head that leaves decent lacing.

S - Caramel, strawberries, candied sugar, date and figs with some sweet digestive cookies (or shortbread) There is a touch of Belgian yeast as well.

T- Definite candy sugar and dates and figs. There is an apple skin tartness hiding in there somewhere followed by fresh baked biscuits. Sweet toffee in the back end.

M- Medium body, decent carbonation, slightly sticky on the lips.

3.85/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A : Pours medium brown/purple color with an initial khaki colored cap. The head fades fast leaving minimal bubbles and a scarce amount of lacing

S: A healthy offering of dark fruits; figs, prunes, raisins, plums and some dates. A little booze sting is noticed, some candy sugar is present but the dominant flavors are dark fruits with a finish that is a bit sticky with some cocoa and lingering dark fruits

M: Lower carbonation on the mouthfeel, sordove sweet, somewhat sticky, medum bodied with plenty of candy sugar and dark fruits to grace the palate.Feels very similar to a undercarbed Belgian Dark Ale

O: Different, and good! I enjoyed this long time want and extra from Ehammond1

3.83/5  rDev +7%

1450th Review on BA
Tap to 4oz Snifter
@Bruery Provisions

App- A darker mahogany color with a nice golden center. A nice colored beer. The head was more like egg whites around the edges and only left a couple dots of cling.

Smell- I'm gonna go with this being closer to a BW than a Strong ale aroma. The lightness of the malts in turn with the sweetness of the sugars lend itself to a BW with a little caramel and toffee, was just light to me.

Taste- I enjoyed this. The method in which they brewed it with the hot rocks created that great caramel flavor mixed with the malts and the dates made for a good depth.

Mouth- A bit light on the body with a nice matching carbonation level. Needs a bit more but it was nice.

Drink- I dont think I would pay the $15 for this one again but it was nice to have. And when I think about it, I probably will buy one to age a little. Who knows.

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%

From 11/21/12 notes. Got 1 bottle of this in the Reserve Society this year. 750ml bottle poured into a Chimay tulip.

a - Pours a deep brown color with a reddish tint, two fingers of off white head that leaves quickly, and low to moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of dark fruits, raisins, fig, plums, cherries, bready malts. Lots of cherries which surprised me. Sweet but not too sweet; pretty nice nose.

t - Tastes of dark fruits, raisins, figs, plums, fruity malts, bready malts, toasted malts, light cherries, light alcohol, and some caramel. Less cherries than the nose and very light alcohol, which I didn't notice in the nose at all. A slight step down but still pretty good.

m - Light to medium body and very low carbonation. Beer definitely seems to be undercarbonated, and would have liked the body to be a bit thicker.

o - Overall I was surprised how much I liked this one considering I had seem some people's reviews beforehand; I seemed to like it more than most I guess. I got a lot of cherries in the nose and sweet dark fruits throughout, but didn't think it was too sweet. My only knock on the beer was the mouthfeel. It was definitely undercarbonated, and would have liked it to be a bit thicker. The bottle said it was a barleywine but I felt it was more of a Belgian style dark ale; either way it was pretty good overall.

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%