5 Golden Rings - The Bruery

5 Golden Rings5 Golden Rings

good

The Bruery visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  11.50% ABV

5 Golden Rings is the 5th verse in our ‘12 Days of Christmas’ winter seasonal ale series. The only golden ale in the bunch, we spiced up the natural pause in the classic song with cinnamon, allspice and ginger along with the delicious sweet and tangy flavor of pineapple. The resulting ale is a true holiday treat that can be enjoyed fresh or cellared until 2019, when 12 Drummers Drumming will be released.

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 11-03-2012)

1.25/5  rDev -64.8%

1.5/5  rDev -57.7%

1.75/5  rDev -50.7%

1.98/5  rDev -44.2%

750ml split with my wife
Poured into a Duvel tulip

A - Slightly hazed golden amber with a white capped head. Little to no lacing

S - Smells like ham glaze, sweet, cooked pineapple, apples, pears, cinnamon, nutmeg

T - Tangy pineapple juice, tart white grape juice, tart apples, sweet malts, alcohol is very present and clashes with the strange sweet tangyness. There's a brief hint of spice but I can't hold it my mouth long enough let it play out.

M - Thick syrupy body, drinks pretty hot,

The first sip I couldn't help but to shudder. There's something not right here and it slaps you straight in the face. Nice aroma but the flavor is just not good.

2.25/5  rDev -36.6%

2.33/5  rDev -34.4%

750ml Bottle poured into a tulip.

Poured a nice golden color with a decent head that lasted.

The smell threw me off a bit as all I could detect were spices. Slight pineapple on the nose but quickly covered up by the yeast notes and spices.

Tasted awful. Could not get around the spices. I had half my glass to make sure I tasted it completely between cold-warm but still couldn't finish it. Luckily I was not alone on this bottle but in the end we all dumped it and moved on.

The only reason for anyone to buy this bottle would be to have the whole set and open them all in 2019. Other than that, do yourself a favor and buy something else.

2.35/5  rDev -33.8%

Poured into a Bell's tulip on 12/23/12

Golden brown and tangerine hued; look mighty similar to honey. Foam rises rapidly, cresting at two and a half fingers before dissipating to a thin layer. Some lace, halfway down the glass. Decent, considering the abv.

The aroma has a lot of pineapple juice follow by toasty grains, hay and prairie grass. Overtones of pepper and perhaps a little ginger. There are also notions of pear and alcohol. The grass becomes more appreciable over time, which is probably a good thing. Smells good, though there seems to be an underlying heaviness.

Yup, the aroma tried but wasn't able to bluff it's way out of the reality that this is one mess of a beer. This is floored with slick alcohol heat. Pineapple juice, fermenting fruits, spices and grains are muddled together in this sticky, boozy glob. The flavor (alcohol) is too closely tied to the feel to warrant separate paragraphs. Heavy, cloying and with a penchant for causing weary palates. Carbonation is very low which makes the sluggish feel that much worse.

My fiance doesn't like beer so, of course, I asked for her take on this. She took not one, not two, but three sips before asking me if I don't like it. Then she said it's like a mesquite hot wassail. Then she drank more.

If this were cut down by about 4-5% abv, it might be alright. As it stands, I'm glad this is the only bottle I'll ever come across.

2.4/5  rDev -32.4%

Pours a hazy, dark golden orange color with a one finger white foam head that quickly fizzles into a thin ring. Minimal spotty lacing left behind.

Heavily spiced aroma with lots of peppery coriander and, surprisingly, autumnal notes. Hints of clove, ginger and allspice followed by sweet citrus, pale malt and faint grassy hops. The spice presence is very prominent but I can still pickup the pineapple as well as some orange zest, bread and biscuit.

Medium bodied with soft carbonation and an overwhelming pineapple juice presence that clashes with the heavy spice profile. Taste more like a breakfast juice or cocktail than a beer. Really strong artificial pineapple flavor along with pineapple juice and some orange zest before the heavy spices come in. Thankfully
This provides a crisp, somewhat refreshing counterbalance to the overwhelming canned pineapple juice flavor. Some clove, ginger, pepper and coriander toward the back end as well as faint alcohol heat but the high ABV is well masked. An interesting idea but this beer is kind of a mess with extreme flavors on the opposite end of the spectrum clashing with one another.

2.44/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

5 Golden Rings poured lightly hazy from a bomber bottle. Amber in color, with a small but durable off-white head. Vinegar (or similar) in the very sour aroma: smells like a good marinade ... or a bad beer. Well, the taste is similar and no better. There is some pineapple and ginger in the very tart taste. Medium bitterness.

O: brewer’s description sounds wonderful; the beer is not. Hard to drink despite some attractive aspects.

2.45/5  rDev -31%

I keep giving The Bruery's beers a chance, and I continue to be disappointed. Beers brewed by reputable brewers in this style tend to be hard to screw up, so I'm hoping this is better than most of The Bruery's other offerings. Acquired at a local beer store for $10.99. I find their aging recommendations (up to seven years) suspect given the style; I see little need or benefit to age/aging a Belgian golden ale. 750ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap and a nicely designed label served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. No visible best before/best after/bottled on date.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Not paired with food. My first and only beer review of the night.

Opened without issue; just a satisfying 'ksh' as the cap came off; no liquid upsurging or other problems.

A: Pours a two finger beige colour milky head of surprisingly nice milky cream, decent thickness, and good retention considering the high ABV. Lacing isn't real sticky or impressive, but it's decent. Body colour is a murky dull orange-copper. Nontransparent but non-opaque. No yeast particles are visible (at least not this high up in the pour). No bubble show. A predictable but generally pleasant appearance. There's noting special or unique about it, but the head does due nicely in terms of retention at this ABV; I'd say it lasted a good minute.

Sm: I get pineapple juice, a cidery mucky apple note, a hint of brett, caramel green apple spice, biscuit malt, rosemary, a bit of ginger, maybe grapefruit esters, and biscuity yeast. I'd say pineapple is dominant, but the spice is a runner-up. Not as fresh as you'd expect a pineapple aroma to be, but it never crosses the fermentation line into tepache-esque (if you'll excuse the pretension implicit in that phrasing). An average strength but interesting aroma. I don't know that I've ever experienced a Belgian golden ale aroma so littered with pineapple, but I'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing. Impressively, no alcohol is detectable in the aroma.

T: Dominant pineapple gives way to a spicy and biscuity body. Brett and a bit of green apple bit on the climax, followed by a torrent of pineapply sweetness - bleh on the finish. Too sweet. There's a hint of tartness buried in the bretty/somewhat lactic notes, which I like and want more of but it never comes. The early second act is a bit lacking in flavour, which compromises the structural balance. I don't get any boozy alcohol or heat; ABV is well hidden. The sticky sweetness is a turn-off though; I don't know that the pineapple focus is doing this beer (or this style) any favors. The spicing isn't all that original, nor is it all that evocative in the flavour. The spices get buried beneath the overbearing sweetness, destroying the beer's potential for subtlety as well as its balance. Where is the crystal malt foundation and delicate subtlety I expect in a good Belgian golden ale? It's sorely missed. Not as yeasty as I hoped; hints of biscuity yeast here and there but little spicy quality. Poorly layered. Hopping is floral but indistinct and adds little.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Sticky. Chewy. A bit overcarbonated. Too thick and filling for the style and lack of flavours. The texture is ill-matched to the flavours. Far too heavy on the palate. Again, crystal malt would give it the light tingly mouthfeel it needs (see Russian River Damnation for an excellent example of the proper way to do this style).

On the burp, I get that nasty pineapple sweetness. Blech.

Dr: I'll finish this bottle over the course of the next hour, but I'm not all that enthusiastic to do it. That said, it does hide its ABV quite well. I think it's getting a bit better as it warms slightly. Still, it's a subpar attempt at the style - and a pricey one at that. I wouldn't bother with this again, and I'd caution friends from picking it up. Another expensive major disappointment from The Bruery.

D+

2.45/5  rDev -31%

D+

an incredible disappointment
the only thing that makes any sense is that it must age properly for the vertical
which accepts facing the fact that it is a mess day one
I indubitably believe this will age into something special
it will taste appropriately evolved, a complexity will appear

I don't share the goal of possessing the vertical
although I do believe it will be an epic tasting
maybe the best ever

but today
it is not worthy of consumption
a massive disappointment