5 Golden Rings - The Bruery

good

The Bruery visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: Halcyondays on 11-03-2012

5 Golden Rings is the 5th verse in our ‘12 Days of Christmas’ winter seasonal ale series. The only golden ale in the bunch, we spiced up the natural pause in the classic song with cinnamon, allspice and ginger along with the delicious sweet and tangy flavor of pineapple. The resulting ale is a true holiday treat that can be enjoyed fresh or cellared until 2019, when 12 Drummers Drumming will be released.
2.1/5  rDev -40%

750ml split with my wife
Poured into a Duvel tulip

A - Slightly hazed golden amber with a white capped head. Little to no lacing

S - Smells like ham glaze, sweet, cooked pineapple, apples, pears, cinnamon, nutmeg

T - Tangy pineapple juice, tart white grape juice, tart apples, sweet malts, alcohol is very present and clashes with the strange sweet tangyness. There's a brief hint of spice but I can't hold it my mouth long enough let it play out.

M - Thick syrupy body, drinks pretty hot,

The first sip I couldn't help but to shudder. There's something not right here and it slaps you straight in the face. Nice aroma but the flavor is just not good. (658 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -32%

750ml Bottle poured into a tulip.

Poured a nice golden color with a decent head that lasted.

The smell threw me off a bit as all I could detect were spices. Slight pineapple on the nose but quickly covered up by the yeast notes and spices.

Tasted awful. Could not get around the spices. I had half my glass to make sure I tasted it completely between cold-warm but still couldn't finish it. Luckily I was not alone on this bottle but in the end we all dumped it and moved on.

The only reason for anyone to buy this bottle would be to have the whole set and open them all in 2019. Other than that, do yourself a favor and buy something else. (645 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured into a Bell's tulip on 12/23/12

Golden brown and tangerine hued; look mighty similar to honey. Foam rises rapidly, cresting at two and a half fingers before dissipating to a thin layer. Some lace, halfway down the glass. Decent, considering the abv.

The aroma has a lot of pineapple juice follow by toasty grains, hay and prairie grass. Overtones of pepper and perhaps a little ginger. There are also notions of pear and alcohol. The grass becomes more appreciable over time, which is probably a good thing. Smells good, though there seems to be an underlying heaviness.

Yup, the aroma tried but wasn't able to bluff it's way out of the reality that this is one mess of a beer. This is floored with slick alcohol heat. Pineapple juice, fermenting fruits, spices and grains are muddled together in this sticky, boozy glob. The flavor (alcohol) is too closely tied to the feel to warrant separate paragraphs. Heavy, cloying and with a penchant for causing weary palates. Carbonation is very low which makes the sluggish feel that much worse.

My fiance doesn't like beer so, of course, I asked for her take on this. She took not one, not two, but three sips before asking me if I don't like it. Then she said it's like a mesquite hot wassail. Then she drank more.

If this were cut down by about 4-5% abv, it might be alright. As it stands, I'm glad this is the only bottle I'll ever come across. (1,404 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

5 Golden Rings poured lightly hazy from a bomber bottle. Amber in color, with a small but durable off-white head. Vinegar (or similar) in the very sour aroma: smells like a good marinade ... or a bad beer. Well, the taste is similar and no better. There is some pineapple and ginger in the very tart taste. Medium bitterness.

O: brewer’s description sounds wonderful; the beer is not. Hard to drink despite some attractive aspects. (435 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -29.4%

Pours a hazy, dark golden orange color with a one finger white foam head that quickly fizzles into a thin ring. Minimal spotty lacing left behind.

Heavily spiced aroma with lots of peppery coriander and, surprisingly, autumnal notes. Hints of clove, ginger and allspice followed by sweet citrus, pale malt and faint grassy hops. The spice presence is very prominent but I can still pickup the pineapple as well as some orange zest, bread and biscuit.

Medium bodied with soft carbonation and an overwhelming pineapple juice presence that clashes with the heavy spice profile. Taste more like a breakfast juice or cocktail than a beer. Really strong artificial pineapple flavor along with pineapple juice and some orange zest before the heavy spices come in. Thankfully
This provides a crisp, somewhat refreshing counterbalance to the overwhelming canned pineapple juice flavor. Some clove, ginger, pepper and coriander toward the back end as well as faint alcohol heat but the high ABV is well masked. An interesting idea but this beer is kind of a mess with extreme flavors on the opposite end of the spectrum clashing with one another. (1,141 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -28.9%

D+

an incredible disappointment
the only thing that makes any sense is that it must age properly for the vertical
which accepts facing the fact that it is a mess day one
I indubitably believe this will age into something special
it will taste appropriately evolved, a complexity will appear

I don't share the goal of possessing the vertical
although I do believe it will be an epic tasting
maybe the best ever

but today
it is not worthy of consumption
a massive disappointment
no cheers for today
jd (504 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -28%

I keep giving The Bruery's beers a chance, and I continue to be disappointed. Beers brewed by reputable brewers in this style tend to be hard to screw up, so I'm hoping this is better than most of The Bruery's other offerings. Acquired at a local beer store for $10.99. I find their aging recommendations (up to seven years) suspect given the style; I see little need or benefit to age/aging a Belgian golden ale. 750ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap and a nicely designed label served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. No visible best before/best after/bottled on date.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Not paired with food. My first and only beer review of the night.

Opened without issue; just a satisfying 'ksh' as the cap came off; no liquid upsurging or other problems.

A: Pours a two finger beige colour milky head of surprisingly nice milky cream, decent thickness, and good retention considering the high ABV. Lacing isn't real sticky or impressive, but it's decent. Body colour is a murky dull orange-copper. Nontransparent but non-opaque. No yeast particles are visible (at least not this high up in the pour). No bubble show. A predictable but generally pleasant appearance. There's noting special or unique about it, but the head does due nicely in terms of retention at this ABV; I'd say it lasted a good minute.

Sm: I get pineapple juice, a cidery mucky apple note, a hint of brett, caramel green apple spice, biscuit malt, rosemary, a bit of ginger, maybe grapefruit esters, and biscuity yeast. I'd say pineapple is dominant, but the spice is a runner-up. Not as fresh as you'd expect a pineapple aroma to be, but it never crosses the fermentation line into tepache-esque (if you'll excuse the pretension implicit in that phrasing). An average strength but interesting aroma. I don't know that I've ever experienced a Belgian golden ale aroma so littered with pineapple, but I'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing. Impressively, no alcohol is detectable in the aroma.

T: Dominant pineapple gives way to a spicy and biscuity body. Brett and a bit of green apple bit on the climax, followed by a torrent of pineapply sweetness - bleh on the finish. Too sweet. There's a hint of tartness buried in the bretty/somewhat lactic notes, which I like and want more of but it never comes. The early second act is a bit lacking in flavour, which compromises the structural balance. I don't get any boozy alcohol or heat; ABV is well hidden. The sticky sweetness is a turn-off though; I don't know that the pineapple focus is doing this beer (or this style) any favors. The spicing isn't all that original, nor is it all that evocative in the flavour. The spices get buried beneath the overbearing sweetness, destroying the beer's potential for subtlety as well as its balance. Where is the crystal malt foundation and delicate subtlety I expect in a good Belgian golden ale? It's sorely missed. Not as yeasty as I hoped; hints of biscuity yeast here and there but little spicy quality. Poorly layered. Hopping is floral but indistinct and adds little.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Sticky. Chewy. A bit overcarbonated. Too thick and filling for the style and lack of flavours. The texture is ill-matched to the flavours. Far too heavy on the palate. Again, crystal malt would give it the light tingly mouthfeel it needs (see Russian River Damnation for an excellent example of the proper way to do this style).

On the burp, I get that nasty pineapple sweetness. Blech.

Dr: I'll finish this bottle over the course of the next hour, but I'm not all that enthusiastic to do it. That said, it does hide its ABV quite well. I think it's getting a bit better as it warms slightly. Still, it's a subpar attempt at the style - and a pricey one at that. I wouldn't bother with this again, and I'd caution friends from picking it up. Another expensive major disappointment from The Bruery.

D+ (4,108 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a brilliantly gleaming gold with amazing clarity. A 3/4" top of virgin white head on it, really makes for one looker of a beer. Aroma was massively boozy. Like huge. Some spice accoutrement, nutmeg, ginger, coriander, clove.

Taste, egad man, did I just drink gasoline? This is the hottest beer I've ever drank from the Bruery, and I've had some of their 19.5% stuff. Difference here, there doesn't appear to be much in the way of malt heft into this one, it looks like it has a rather mellow and light body from the color. I really could not, no matter how much I tried, get into this beer to taste any secondary aspects of the beer, it was just fire in the mouth of an alcohol burn. If you restrain yourself, you can pick up light orange peel and sweet notes.

Of any of their beers meant to be drank years from now, this one really did leave the impression that I don't want to touch it for a long time. I'll adjust my score upon subsequent tastings, but the first one just came off as fire water and not much else. (1,024 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -22.6%

This pours as a decent golden color with a white head on top. The retention is thin, no lacing on this one. The smell of the beer is a little fruity, boozy and spicy. The taste of the beer is loaded with spice, very Christmassy, not really the greatest tasting beer in my opinion. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, decent carbonation and smooth drinkablity. Overall this beer isn't the greatest. I just wasn't impressed with some of the flavors it had. It's an ok beer but I just don't care for it. (496 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I made a mistake by opening this for myself to finish. About 1/2 through.

Oops, this one must need 7 years for the independent flavors to meld. I am a dick about throwing stuff away; so I have to finish this one. Gha...

If there is pineapple juice in here, it must be the acid from it. I will need to take heartburn pills at 2am.

I am a fan of The Bruery. Not sure where they are going with this one. Perhaps in 7 years... (427 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Excited to try this because many of the other beers in this series have been really tasty.

Poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance - Pours a light orange/salmon color. The color is almost the same hue as a bottle of peanut oil but a little bit more pink. The pour starts with a fast foaming head which dissipates quickly.

Smell - Pineapple, nail polish remover, strong apple cider or some sort of high abv fermenting fruit liquor. The smell of this before the sip i know it is going to taste like its posted 11.5% abv.

Taste - Booze Booze Booze! After the taste of rubbing alcohol subsides i do taste the subtle farmhouse style ale which i correlate with golden belgians. The aftertaste is sweet where i can taste the pineapples but it has a crazy taste like windex or some sort of industrial cleaning solution flavor to it because of the booze flavor.

Mouthfeel - Low carbonation so it is quite easy to drink but at the same time it is hard because of how hot this bottle is.

Overall - Kinda disappointed after last years holiday styles from The Bruery have been amazing and wish they could have made this fifth one a little bit more palatable. After tasting this i tried hard not to pour this down the drain but after i was done with one cup of it i had to pour the rest down the drain. Maybe with age it will tame down this beast because i have had success with other beers i thought were to hot in the beginning like damnation 23. (1,438 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A-Pours clear orange. After a forceful pour, the glass swells with foam. The head dies away rather quickly as if exhausted by the pour. I am left with a famished cut of off white foam. Laces well.

S-A sweet, excessively yeasty aroma. Cloves. Basil. Candied sweetness. Alcohol is a noticeable component of the aroma; that stinging heat. The pineapple juice can be detected as well.

T-It tastes like someone poured seasoning into pineapple juice. Peppery, Belgian yeast. Concentrated pineapple and apple juice. Finishes with a long winded, hot sweetness that clings to the back of my teeth.

M-The back of the bottle says it will keep for 7 years. I laugh at such a statement, it's basically flat already. No carbonation. The lack of bubbles really let's that oily sweetness soak into every crevice of my mouth.

O/D-Thankfully this was gifted to me. I'm not even going to attempt to finish this bottle. Flat, spicy, boozy, juice from concentrate. Still waiting for the Bruery to make a beer that I actually enjoy from start to finish. (1,035 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -20%

A: Golden Yellow, mostly clear, with a white head. Slightly darker than most of this style I've seen. Not by much.

S: Alcohol, pineapple, yeast.

T: I was excited to try my first Bruery beer, but the taste was a little off putting. Spicy, peppery, the alcohol was straight upfront, and the sweetness of the pineapple was also upfront where it clashed with the alcohol and reminded me of cough syrup. I feel like if the ABV wasn't so high, this might have been way better, but I fought through the half a snifter I poured myself over an hour. Other than that, it is a typical Pale Strong Ale. Not my favorite style.

M: It felt a little syrupy to me. Probably because of how it reminded me of cough syrup.

O: Like I said before, I was excited to try something from this brewery, but maybe I picked the wrong beer. It may be good in 7 years when they finally complete the collection and it's had a chance to mellow out, but right now it's straight alcohol and pineapple syrup. Not pleasant. Sorry Bruery. (1,004 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -19.4%

A-pours a thick urine yellow with a fuzzy white head

S-lots of fruit juice and Belgian yeast and some pineapple coming through.

T- initial pineapple taste with some rice and Belgian yeast. As it warms up it tastes like alcohol and poison.

M- super thick and unpleasant. Lots of carbonation for what it is and boozy. Very hard to drink.

O- this is the worst thing that I have had from the bruery. A below average overpriced beer that I am unfortunate enough to have had. Maybe 7 years will help this beer until then I want to forget ever having this. (554 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

750ml, split

Dark golden body, moderate carbonation. Gah - this is some vile stuff. Sweetness to the max - pineapple is great and all, but it really bothered me in this beer. Spiced to the max - with ginger and allspice being pretty prominent to me. Big, syrupy, and quiet a disappointing offering from a place like the Bruery. (328 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Not going to spend too much time on this one, since I'll likely be pouring the rest of the bottle down the drain very soon.

It starts off great with a hazy orange-gold appearance and a nose reminiscent of a saison - bright and spicy, with tropical fruit. Initial taste is good too - big, crisp and spicy, with a pineapple juice punch. Again, like a big saison. But things go downhill after about one second on the palate. In comes a lingering metallic bitterness that's possibly attributable to the way the acid in the pineapple has aged (this bottle is over a year old). The sweetness also becomes cloying, but somehow still cannot mask the big booze. Overall, it's just a mess. (680 characters)

First had: on tap at TJ's, Paoli, PA

Another Bruery beer. Why do I do this to myself. At least I only got a sampler.

Bright, golden yellow pour, clear, or nearly so, with a moderate foamy head that receded to a ringlet and left a few dots of lacing on the glass. Lots of sweet fruit in the aroma, like canned fruit cocktail, almost; distant floral hop quality. Sweet taste, almost sickeningly so, again like fruit cocktail, complete with pineapple, pear, peach, cherry, some banana esters in there as well; notes of light clovey spice and corriander, with a touch of vodka-like booze that was more tasted than felt. Light-medium body, a bit sticky with sweetness, and just kind of messy all over. Not really sure what they were going for, nor am I sure it will hold up for another 7 years.

But I got the vertical going anyway, for whatever reason. (851 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -17.1%

A: Pours a clear, amber-gold pour. Big fluffy and frothy white head. Head fades away at a moderate pace but leaves only the smallest bits of lacing behind.

S: Spicy. Ginger and cinnamon maybe? Touch of breadiness and a little tropical fruit.

T: Whoa. Very strong flavors up front. Lots of ginger primarily. Swear I get a little cinnamon maybe but I'm not sure. Some other spices I can't identify. A bit of yeasty bread in the middle. Some pineapple in the finish that mixes in. Long lingering spicy finish. Flavor and spices are strong enough that I shudder at every sip. Not in a good way, either.

M: Heavy, thick.

O: Whew, tough one to drink. Just a mess of super strong spices and fruit. No real indication of alcohol but super harsh nonetheless. I could not drink this one and ended up drainpouring it. Just an unpleasant combination of strong flavors. Maybe with some age on it it would be decent. For reference, I love some of the stronger beers like 120min, Chocolate Rain, etc but this was just ...bleh. A mess of a beer. (1,034 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -16.9%

Had on tap at Toronado in San Diego.

A - Cloudy orange in color with absolutely no head. Obviously no lacing as the beer had no head, but a very pretty color indeed.

S - Belgian yeast, candy sugar, apricots, and granny smith apples. Smells very fresh and alive.

T - Very tart, almost bordering on a sour ale without the berry flavors you'd be used to. Very dry finish. Lots of sour apple, reminds me of a sour jolly rancher. Way too tart and dry! Not impressed in the slightest.

M - No carbonation at all. Leaves a lot of after taste.

O - Just a strange flavor. Strange blend of sour ale and Belgian ale that doesn't really work well together. (649 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a crystal clear deep golden color with a good sized beige head that slowly dissipates to a cap and minimal lace. Smells of light brown sugar, all spice, pepper, spicy yeast, and a faint hint of ginger. The flavor is sweet with sugary malt up front contrasted by a butt load of spices. Pepper, all spice, ginger along with the spicy yeasty flavors really make this a muddled mess. Tart and tangy finish with a bit of ethanol on the finish. Medium body with a sweet watery mouthfeel and a moderate level of carbonation. This is not a brew for me, It's too heavy handed on the spice for my tastes. Maybe in 7 years it will meld a bit better. (644 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Split the bottle with angrybaboon.

Appearance: Hazy gold. Small tight bubbly collar. Vague wispy cap. Oily splotches of lace.

Smell: Floral. Pineapple juice. Tons of spice. Loaded with allspice, ginger, and cinnamon. Huge hit of The Bruery's Belgian yeast strain. Clove and some.serious spiciness. Pale malt sweetness. Some powdery yeast as well. So much pineapple. Almost like a dessert. Pineapple upside-down cake.

Taste: Straight up pineapple. Juice with a little bit of flesh. Tons of spice. Clove, cinnamon and nutmeg. A.good hit of spicy ginger as well. Sweet pale malts and some beastly Belgian yeast. Some banana as well. Something like cake in the sweetness. It is pineapple upside-down cake with Belgian yeast thrown in for good measure.

Mouthfeel: Slightly slick mediumish body. Moderate to high carbonation. A little wet.

Overall: It's a cake and it's a lie.

So much pineapple. And that's the best part. (927 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -14%

Pours with a golden color and limited head. Light carbonation. Extreme sweetness in the first taste but a thick mouthfeel. Definitely has the smell and taste of pineapple and oranges. Initial impression was that this beer is almost too sweet
Overall it was okay but I think I would only buy again for the full 12 days of Christmas series.. this wasn't anything special (368 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -13.4%

750 mL bottle poured into a tumbler. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Deep golden body with a large white head that settles to a single large island of foam in the middle.

Smell - Belgian sugars. Apples. Some tropical fruits. Booze. A variety of sugars.

Taste - Sharp fruity flavors. Harsh booze. Spices. Not as sweet as the nose suggested. Dry boozy finish.

Mouthfeel - Boozy and rough. Medium body. Kinda bitter.

Overall - Not loving this. Very rough, without the flavors to back it up. (494 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -13.1%

First impression, wow that is different. Typical Bruery, going wild.

Appearance - nothing special, golden copper Belgian looking ale. Crystal clear and almost watered down looking.

Smell - First smell brought forth bell peppers, sweetness, and a lot of citrus fruit and a little funk.

Taste - Very complex within the first couple sips. Hit hard up front with creamy breadiness transitioning quickly to yeast funk and finishing off with blast of tart fruit. Fruit being pineapple, grapefruit, and lemon. Rind / pine bitterness extremely strong in the after taste. My mouth began to taste like a Cabernet after taking some time in between sips. The more I drank the more the grapefruit and booziness took over. The more I drank the more I noticed the funk and fruit mixing in an unpleasant way. I like the first sip much better than the last. The booze was not balanced as well as hoped.

Mouthfeel - creamy and acidic

Overall - Excited and then disappointed. As mentioned the first sip seemed very rich and creamy with a punch of tart citrus at the end. Very unique. The complexity became messy half way into the beer. Even though they always swing for the fences I like the experimentation the Bruery continues to put forth. Unfortunately this was like Jose Canseco when he played in Texas.

Additional Comments - After finishing the bottle I decided to lower my rating. I reread the description of a Belgian Strong Ale and decided this did not fit the description or at least was not "well-balanced" at all. The more and more drank the more I thought cough syrup and was reminded of my mother shoveling it down my throat when I was sick as a young lad. At least the first sip was good. (1,691 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - Luminous peach-fuzzy gold. A sort of gauzy clarity, with a small bubbly head that gives way to a halo. Nice column of rising bubbles like sparkling wine.

S - Sharp pineapple and champagne aroma that would suggest a barrel-aged sour more than a golden ale. Some spice in the background.

T - Hot and spicy. Immediate tang of tropical fruit, with some citrus and candied fruit. Borders on sickly sweet. The ABV hits you in face. Really, the whole flavor medley is more reminiscent of a rum punch that a Belgian-inflected ale.

M - Medium heavy, and frothy.

O - Less than spellbinding. An off-kilter nose and taste that's compelling, but there's nothing to bring me back. Still, I'll check in for the next entry.

***

Politics, Art, Beer. A Compendium of Worldly Facts
The Curiograph
www.thecuriograph.com
Twitter: @TheCuriograph (833 characters)

5 Golden Rings from The Bruery