5 Golden Rings - The Bruery

5 Golden Rings5 Golden Rings

good

The Bruery visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  11.50% ABV

5 Golden Rings is the 5th verse in our ‘12 Days of Christmas’ winter seasonal ale series. The only golden ale in the bunch, we spiced up the natural pause in the classic song with cinnamon, allspice and ginger along with the delicious sweet and tangy flavor of pineapple. The resulting ale is a true holiday treat that can be enjoyed fresh or cellared until 2019, when 12 Drummers Drumming will be released.

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 11-03-2012)
2.73/5  rDev -23.1%

A-pours a thick urine yellow with a fuzzy white head

S-lots of fruit juice and Belgian yeast and some pineapple coming through.

T- initial pineapple taste with some rice and Belgian yeast. As it warms up it tastes like alcohol and poison.

M- super thick and unpleasant. Lots of carbonation for what it is and boozy. Very hard to drink.

O- this is the worst thing that I have had from the bruery. A below average overpriced beer that I am unfortunate enough to have had. Maybe 7 years will help this beer until then I want to forget ever having this.

beerhan, Dec 07, 2012

3.25/5  rDev -8.5%

Hellpop65, Dec 02, 2012

CEDAMA, Dec 02, 2012

Center-pour into tulip...

A: hazy medium amber body, finger's worth of ivory head that didn't persist; negligible bits of lace

S: made me think of orchards of pale-fleshed ripe fruits; presumably this is attributable in part to the use of pineapple in the brewing

T: I liked what the pineapple did for the flavor profile - you have a nice complement of pale malt flavors and the fruitiness of the yeasts and hops; the pineapple provides a lush flavor that is suggestive of holiday feasts' and treats' spices and fruits. Citric/acidic notes linger.

M: warming, full, soft, fuzzy; bit of a bite on the aftertaste, a little bitter, peachy sweet

O: I enjoy the sweet strong pale ales like this. This one in particular has a refined but lush character - it is suitable for warming and slow drinking. I'd buy this again. Perfect for winter holidays and cold weather drinking - a great December drink.

Greywulfken, Dec 02, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottle pour at the BevMo Holiday Beerfest held at Golden Road Brewing in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a clear orange with a foamy off-white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, spices, herbs, and yeast. Taste is much the same with a very spice and herb forward flavor on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and sticky mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but it's strong and isn't coming together super well at this time.

UCLABrewN84, Dec 02, 2012

hpthebull, Dec 02, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +13.5%

A: marmalade/peach cloudy, trace white head, no lacing

S: belgian yeast, pineapple, winter spices

T: solid pineapple, belgian yeast, mild earthy, winter spices
hint of booze in finish

M: med body, smooth/mild oily/firm carbonation

O: Like Bruery, little steep in price, LOVE that they
experiment like Dogfish Head of the West Coast. ABV is
very well hidden, sneaks up on you.
Would recommend, might get again.

QUITE NICE, NOT MUST HAVE!

BeerLover99, Dec 01, 2012
2.45/5  rDev -31%

I keep giving The Bruery's beers a chance, and I continue to be disappointed. Beers brewed by reputable brewers in this style tend to be hard to screw up, so I'm hoping this is better than most of The Bruery's other offerings. Acquired at a local beer store for $10.99. I find their aging recommendations (up to seven years) suspect given the style; I see little need or benefit to age/aging a Belgian golden ale. 750ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap and a nicely designed label served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. No visible best before/best after/bottled on date.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Not paired with food. My first and only beer review of the night.

Opened without issue; just a satisfying 'ksh' as the cap came off; no liquid upsurging or other problems.

A: Pours a two finger beige colour milky head of surprisingly nice milky cream, decent thickness, and good retention considering the high ABV. Lacing isn't real sticky or impressive, but it's decent. Body colour is a murky dull orange-copper. Nontransparent but non-opaque. No yeast particles are visible (at least not this high up in the pour). No bubble show. A predictable but generally pleasant appearance. There's noting special or unique about it, but the head does due nicely in terms of retention at this ABV; I'd say it lasted a good minute.

Sm: I get pineapple juice, a cidery mucky apple note, a hint of brett, caramel green apple spice, biscuit malt, rosemary, a bit of ginger, maybe grapefruit esters, and biscuity yeast. I'd say pineapple is dominant, but the spice is a runner-up. Not as fresh as you'd expect a pineapple aroma to be, but it never crosses the fermentation line into tepache-esque (if you'll excuse the pretension implicit in that phrasing). An average strength but interesting aroma. I don't know that I've ever experienced a Belgian golden ale aroma so littered with pineapple, but I'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing. Impressively, no alcohol is detectable in the aroma.

T: Dominant pineapple gives way to a spicy and biscuity body. Brett and a bit of green apple bit on the climax, followed by a torrent of pineapply sweetness - bleh on the finish. Too sweet. There's a hint of tartness buried in the bretty/somewhat lactic notes, which I like and want more of but it never comes. The early second act is a bit lacking in flavour, which compromises the structural balance. I don't get any boozy alcohol or heat; ABV is well hidden. The sticky sweetness is a turn-off though; I don't know that the pineapple focus is doing this beer (or this style) any favors. The spicing isn't all that original, nor is it all that evocative in the flavour. The spices get buried beneath the overbearing sweetness, destroying the beer's potential for subtlety as well as its balance. Where is the crystal malt foundation and delicate subtlety I expect in a good Belgian golden ale? It's sorely missed. Not as yeasty as I hoped; hints of biscuity yeast here and there but little spicy quality. Poorly layered. Hopping is floral but indistinct and adds little.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Sticky. Chewy. A bit overcarbonated. Too thick and filling for the style and lack of flavours. The texture is ill-matched to the flavours. Far too heavy on the palate. Again, crystal malt would give it the light tingly mouthfeel it needs (see Russian River Damnation for an excellent example of the proper way to do this style).

On the burp, I get that nasty pineapple sweetness. Blech.

Dr: I'll finish this bottle over the course of the next hour, but I'm not all that enthusiastic to do it. That said, it does hide its ABV quite well. I think it's getting a bit better as it warms slightly. Still, it's a subpar attempt at the style - and a pricey one at that. I wouldn't bother with this again, and I'd caution friends from picking it up. Another expensive major disappointment from The Bruery.

D+

kojevergas, Dec 01, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

Split a 750 ml poured into a duvel glass

A: pours a hazy golden orange with a whips of white head, a film remains around the outer ring of the glass through out... Not much lacing to speak of. It's not a bad looking beer, but the lack of head and lacing lowered the score here.

S: In the aroma I Mainly get bready yeast notes, along with some notes from the spices, I mainly get cinnamon, and nutmeg? (Turns out they used allspice, cinnamon and ginger) as the brew warms I deffinatly start to get more of the spice, particuarly the ginger, as I get vague whiffs that remind me of ginger bread men. There is a bit of sweetness in the aroma as well, although note as much as I anticipated, and while I get citrus I'd be hard pressed to say that I smelt pinneapple persay. Nice comes x-mas time aroma overall.

T: much like the nose, I get some bready yeast notes, along with a bit of sweet citrus, pinneapple comes through more towards the finish, along with the spices, I like the use of spices here, they blend nicley with the yeast notes and seem to balance them out.

M: medium body with moderate carbonation that works very nicley with the brew, keeping it from being syrupy, some lingering x-mas spice in the aftertaste.

O: this is a pretty good x-mas beer, I thought it was tasty and pretty nicley balanced and had a decent drinkability for the abv, defiantly worth enjoying for the holidays, I'm curious as to how this will age.

PeterIngemi, Dec 01, 2012
2.98/5  rDev -16.1%

First impression, wow that is different. Typical Bruery, going wild.

Appearance - nothing special, golden copper Belgian looking ale. Crystal clear and almost watered down looking.

Smell - First smell brought forth bell peppers, sweetness, and a lot of citrus fruit and a little funk.

Taste - Very complex within the first couple sips. Hit hard up front with creamy breadiness transitioning quickly to yeast funk and finishing off with blast of tart fruit. Fruit being pineapple, grapefruit, and lemon. Rind / pine bitterness extremely strong in the after taste. My mouth began to taste like a Cabernet after taking some time in between sips. The more I drank the more the grapefruit and booziness took over. The more I drank the more I noticed the funk and fruit mixing in an unpleasant way. I like the first sip much better than the last. The booze was not balanced as well as hoped.

Mouthfeel - creamy and acidic

Overall - Excited and then disappointed. As mentioned the first sip seemed very rich and creamy with a punch of tart citrus at the end. Very unique. The complexity became messy half way into the beer. Even though they always swing for the fences I like the experimentation the Bruery continues to put forth. Unfortunately this was like Jose Canseco when he played in Texas.

Additional Comments - After finishing the bottle I decided to lower my rating. I reread the description of a Belgian Strong Ale and decided this did not fit the description or at least was not "well-balanced" at all. The more and more drank the more I thought cough syrup and was reminded of my mother shoveling it down my throat when I was sick as a young lad. At least the first sip was good.

abrethanson, Dec 01, 2012
2.65/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours a brilliantly gleaming gold with amazing clarity. A 3/4" top of virgin white head on it, really makes for one looker of a beer. Aroma was massively boozy. Like huge. Some spice accoutrement, nutmeg, ginger, coriander, clove.

Taste, egad man, did I just drink gasoline? This is the hottest beer I've ever drank from the Bruery, and I've had some of their 19.5% stuff. Difference here, there doesn't appear to be much in the way of malt heft into this one, it looks like it has a rather mellow and light body from the color. I really could not, no matter how much I tried, get into this beer to taste any secondary aspects of the beer, it was just fire in the mouth of an alcohol burn. If you restrain yourself, you can pick up light orange peel and sweet notes.

Of any of their beers meant to be drank years from now, this one really did leave the impression that I don't want to touch it for a long time. I'll adjust my score upon subsequent tastings, but the first one just came off as fire water and not much else.

Beerandraiderfan, Nov 30, 2012

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

archey, Nov 27, 2012

VictoriaAnne, Nov 26, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -21.7%

A: Golden Yellow, mostly clear, with a white head. Slightly darker than most of this style I've seen. Not by much.

S: Alcohol, pineapple, yeast.

T: I was excited to try my first Bruery beer, but the taste was a little off putting. Spicy, peppery, the alcohol was straight upfront, and the sweetness of the pineapple was also upfront where it clashed with the alcohol and reminded me of cough syrup. I feel like if the ABV wasn't so high, this might have been way better, but I fought through the half a snifter I poured myself over an hour. Other than that, it is a typical Pale Strong Ale. Not my favorite style.

M: It felt a little syrupy to me. Probably because of how it reminded me of cough syrup.

O: Like I said before, I was excited to try something from this brewery, but maybe I picked the wrong beer. It may be good in 7 years when they finally complete the collection and it's had a chance to mellow out, but right now it's straight alcohol and pineapple syrup. Not pleasant. Sorry Bruery.

Daemose, Nov 25, 2012