5 Golden Rings - The Bruery

5 Golden Rings5 Golden Rings

good

The Bruery visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  11.50% ABV

5 Golden Rings is the 5th verse in our ‘12 Days of Christmas’ winter seasonal ale series. The only golden ale in the bunch, we spiced up the natural pause in the classic song with cinnamon, allspice and ginger along with the delicious sweet and tangy flavor of pineapple. The resulting ale is a true holiday treat that can be enjoyed fresh or cellared until 2019, when 12 Drummers Drumming will be released.

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 11-03-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

District of Columbia

12-15-2012 15:06:18 | More by Daniellobo
Daemose

2.78/5  rDev -21.5%

A: Golden Yellow, mostly clear, with a white head. Slightly darker than most of this style I've seen. Not by much.

S: Alcohol, pineapple, yeast.

T: I was excited to try my first Bruery beer, but the taste was a little off putting. Spicy, peppery, the alcohol was straight upfront, and the sweetness of the pineapple was also upfront where it clashed with the alcohol and reminded me of cough syrup. I feel like if the ABV wasn't so high, this might have been way better, but I fought through the half a snifter I poured myself over an hour. Other than that, it is a typical Pale Strong Ale. Not my favorite style.

M: It felt a little syrupy to me. Probably because of how it reminded me of cough syrup.

O: Like I said before, I was excited to try something from this brewery, but maybe I picked the wrong beer. It may be good in 7 years when they finally complete the collection and it's had a chance to mellow out, but right now it's straight alcohol and pineapple syrup. Not pleasant. Sorry Bruery.

11-25-2012 18:03:27 | More by Daemose
Dope

2.8/5  rDev -20.9%

A: Pours a clear, amber-gold pour. Big fluffy and frothy white head. Head fades away at a moderate pace but leaves only the smallest bits of lacing behind.

S: Spicy. Ginger and cinnamon maybe? Touch of breadiness and a little tropical fruit.

T: Whoa. Very strong flavors up front. Lots of ginger primarily. Swear I get a little cinnamon maybe but I'm not sure. Some other spices I can't identify. A bit of yeasty bread in the middle. Some pineapple in the finish that mixes in. Long lingering spicy finish. Flavor and spices are strong enough that I shudder at every sip. Not in a good way, either.

M: Heavy, thick.

O: Whew, tough one to drink. Just a mess of super strong spices and fruit. No real indication of alcohol but super harsh nonetheless. I could not drink this one and ended up drainpouring it. Just an unpleasant combination of strong flavors. Maybe with some age on it it would be decent. For reference, I love some of the stronger beers like 120min, Chocolate Rain, etc but this was just ...bleh. A mess of a beer.

12-31-2012 06:00:11 | More by Dope
dirtylou

Washington

2.85/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

750ml, split

Dark golden body, moderate carbonation. Gah - this is some vile stuff. Sweetness to the max - pineapple is great and all, but it really bothered me in this beer. Spiced to the max - with ginger and allspice being pretty prominent to me. Big, syrupy, and quiet a disappointing offering from a place like the Bruery.

01-26-2013 20:25:43 | More by dirtylou
Mongrel

Maryland

2.85/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Not going to spend too much time on this one, since I'll likely be pouring the rest of the bottle down the drain very soon.

It starts off great with a hazy orange-gold appearance and a nose reminiscent of a saison - bright and spicy, with tropical fruit. Initial taste is good too - big, crisp and spicy, with a pineapple juice punch. Again, like a big saison. But things go downhill after about one second on the palate. In comes a lingering metallic bitterness that's possibly attributable to the way the acid in the pineapple has aged (this bottle is over a year old). The sweetness also becomes cloying, but somehow still cannot mask the big booze. Overall, it's just a mess.

02-08-2014 22:05:07 | More by Mongrel
ThePaleRider

2.85/5  rDev -19.5%

Had on tap at Toronado in San Diego.

A - Cloudy orange in color with absolutely no head. Obviously no lacing as the beer had no head, but a very pretty color indeed.

S - Belgian yeast, candy sugar, apricots, and granny smith apples. Smells very fresh and alive.

T - Very tart, almost bordering on a sour ale without the berry flavors you'd be used to. Very dry finish. Lots of sour apple, reminds me of a sour jolly rancher. Way too tart and dry! Not impressed in the slightest.

M - No carbonation at all. Leaves a lot of after taste.

O - Just a strange flavor. Strange blend of sour ale and Belgian ale that doesn't really work well together.

12-18-2012 07:59:48 | More by ThePaleRider
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

2.89/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a crystal clear deep golden color with a good sized beige head that slowly dissipates to a cap and minimal lace. Smells of light brown sugar, all spice, pepper, spicy yeast, and a faint hint of ginger. The flavor is sweet with sugary malt up front contrasted by a butt load of spices. Pepper, all spice, ginger along with the spicy yeasty flavors really make this a muddled mess. Tart and tangy finish with a bit of ethanol on the finish. Medium body with a sweet watery mouthfeel and a moderate level of carbonation. This is not a brew for me, It's too heavy handed on the spice for my tastes. Maybe in 7 years it will meld a bit better.

01-22-2013 00:26:05 | More by johnnnniee
Rifugium

2.9/5  rDev -18.1%

First had: on tap at TJ's, Paoli, PA

Another Bruery beer. Why do I do this to myself. At least I only got a sampler.

Bright, golden yellow pour, clear, or nearly so, with a moderate foamy head that receded to a ringlet and left a few dots of lacing on the glass. Lots of sweet fruit in the aroma, like canned fruit cocktail, almost; distant floral hop quality. Sweet taste, almost sickeningly so, again like fruit cocktail, complete with pineapple, pear, peach, cherry, some banana esters in there as well; notes of light clovey spice and corriander, with a touch of vodka-like booze that was more tasted than felt. Light-medium body, a bit sticky with sweetness, and just kind of messy all over. Not really sure what they were going for, nor am I sure it will hold up for another 7 years.

But I got the vertical going anyway, for whatever reason.

12-18-2012 04:06:10 | More by Rifugium
abrethanson

2.98/5  rDev -15.8%

First impression, wow that is different. Typical Bruery, going wild.

Appearance - nothing special, golden copper Belgian looking ale. Crystal clear and almost watered down looking.

Smell - First smell brought forth bell peppers, sweetness, and a lot of citrus fruit and a little funk.

Taste - Very complex within the first couple sips. Hit hard up front with creamy breadiness transitioning quickly to yeast funk and finishing off with blast of tart fruit. Fruit being pineapple, grapefruit, and lemon. Rind / pine bitterness extremely strong in the after taste. My mouth began to taste like a Cabernet after taking some time in between sips. The more I drank the more the grapefruit and booziness took over. The more I drank the more I noticed the funk and fruit mixing in an unpleasant way. I like the first sip much better than the last. The booze was not balanced as well as hoped.

Mouthfeel - creamy and acidic

Overall - Excited and then disappointed. As mentioned the first sip seemed very rich and creamy with a punch of tart citrus at the end. Very unique. The complexity became messy half way into the beer. Even though they always swing for the fences I like the experimentation the Bruery continues to put forth. Unfortunately this was like Jose Canseco when he played in Texas.

Additional Comments - After finishing the bottle I decided to lower my rating. I reread the description of a Belgian Strong Ale and decided this did not fit the description or at least was not "well-balanced" at all. The more and more drank the more I thought cough syrup and was reminded of my mother shoveling it down my throat when I was sick as a young lad. At least the first sip was good.

12-01-2012 02:28:26 | More by abrethanson
valkyre65

11-28-2012 00:43:31 | More by valkyre65
MADPolo

Alabama

01-12-2013 01:48:59 | More by MADPolo
Alieniloquium

750 mL bottle poured into a tumbler. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Deep golden body with a large white head that settles to a single large island of foam in the middle.

Smell - Belgian sugars. Apples. Some tropical fruits. Booze. A variety of sugars.

Taste - Sharp fruity flavors. Harsh booze. Spices. Not as sweet as the nose suggested. Dry boozy finish.

Mouthfeel - Boozy and rough. Medium body. Kinda bitter.

Overall - Not loving this. Very rough, without the flavors to back it up.

06-15-2014 17:38:46 | More by Alieniloquium

ShanePB

06-24-2013 14:46:29 | More by ShanePB
bambam2517

Arizona

750ml bottle into a tulip glass, poured at 45F.

A - Really appealing golden orange in color, very little froth formed and body is very still. Instantly regretting not letting this age a couple of years minimum.

S - Strong pineapple dominates, brown sugar and spices right along with it. I agree that it smells cake-ish, alot like a pineapple upside-down cake to me.

T - Wow, really falls down for me here. Pineapple still present, but the sweetness overwhelms so much that its cloying. White wine flavors there too, right where I dont really want them, in my beer.

M - Comes on so strong, hits hard and then quickly dissipates with very little heat. Impressive for a beer this high in ABV. That is the only thing remarkable about it in this category though.

O - Bummer. Don't know if it would have improved with age, but I am so underwhelmed that I do not care to find out.

12-23-2012 05:53:47 | More by bambam2517