5 Golden Rings - The Bruery

good

The Bruery visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: Halcyondays on 11-03-2012

5 Golden Rings is the 5th verse in our ‘12 Days of Christmas’ winter seasonal ale series. The only golden ale in the bunch, we spiced up the natural pause in the classic song with cinnamon, allspice and ginger along with the delicious sweet and tangy flavor of pineapple. The resulting ale is a true holiday treat that can be enjoyed fresh or cellared until 2019, when 12 Drummers Drumming will be released.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 563 | Reviews: 126

2.76/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A-Pours clear orange. After a forceful pour, the glass swells with foam. The head dies away rather quickly as if exhausted by the pour. I am left with a famished cut of off white foam. Laces well.

S-A sweet, excessively yeasty aroma. Cloves. Basil. Candied sweetness. Alcohol is a noticeable component of the aroma; that stinging heat. The pineapple juice can be detected as well.

T-It tastes like someone poured seasoning into pineapple juice. Peppery, Belgian yeast. Concentrated pineapple and apple juice. Finishes with a long winded, hot sweetness that clings to the back of my teeth.

M-The back of the bottle says it will keep for 7 years. I laugh at such a statement, it's basically flat already. No carbonation. The lack of bubbles really let's that oily sweetness soak into every crevice of my mouth.

O/D-Thankfully this was gifted to me. I'm not even going to attempt to finish this bottle. Flat, spicy, boozy, juice from concentrate. Still waiting for the Bruery to make a beer that I actually enjoy from start to finish.

2.8/5  rDev -21.3%

A: Golden Yellow, mostly clear, with a white head. Slightly darker than most of this style I've seen. Not by much.

S: Alcohol, pineapple, yeast.

T: I was excited to try my first Bruery beer, but the taste was a little off putting. Spicy, peppery, the alcohol was straight upfront, and the sweetness of the pineapple was also upfront where it clashed with the alcohol and reminded me of cough syrup. I feel like if the ABV wasn't so high, this might have been way better, but I fought through the half a snifter I poured myself over an hour. Other than that, it is a typical Pale Strong Ale. Not my favorite style.

M: It felt a little syrupy to me. Probably because of how it reminded me of cough syrup.

O: Like I said before, I was excited to try something from this brewery, but maybe I picked the wrong beer. It may be good in 7 years when they finally complete the collection and it's had a chance to mellow out, but right now it's straight alcohol and pineapple syrup. Not pleasant. Sorry Bruery.

2.82/5  rDev -20.8%

A-pours a thick urine yellow with a fuzzy white head

S-lots of fruit juice and Belgian yeast and some pineapple coming through.

T- initial pineapple taste with some rice and Belgian yeast. As it warms up it tastes like alcohol and poison.

M- super thick and unpleasant. Lots of carbonation for what it is and boozy. Very hard to drink.

O- this is the worst thing that I have had from the bruery. A below average overpriced beer that I am unfortunate enough to have had. Maybe 7 years will help this beer until then I want to forget ever having this.

2.9/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

750ml, split

Dark golden body, moderate carbonation. Gah - this is some vile stuff. Sweetness to the max - pineapple is great and all, but it really bothered me in this beer. Spiced to the max - with ginger and allspice being pretty prominent to me. Big, syrupy, and quiet a disappointing offering from a place like the Bruery.

2.9/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Not going to spend too much time on this one, since I'll likely be pouring the rest of the bottle down the drain very soon.

It starts off great with a hazy orange-gold appearance and a nose reminiscent of a saison - bright and spicy, with tropical fruit. Initial taste is good too - big, crisp and spicy, with a pineapple juice punch. Again, like a big saison. But things go downhill after about one second on the palate. In comes a lingering metallic bitterness that's possibly attributable to the way the acid in the pineapple has aged (this bottle is over a year old). The sweetness also becomes cloying, but somehow still cannot mask the big booze. Overall, it's just a mess.

First had: on tap at TJ's, Paoli, PA

Another Bruery beer. Why do I do this to myself. At least I only got a sampler.

Bright, golden yellow pour, clear, or nearly so, with a moderate foamy head that receded to a ringlet and left a few dots of lacing on the glass. Lots of sweet fruit in the aroma, like canned fruit cocktail, almost; distant floral hop quality. Sweet taste, almost sickeningly so, again like fruit cocktail, complete with pineapple, pear, peach, cherry, some banana esters in there as well; notes of light clovey spice and corriander, with a touch of vodka-like booze that was more tasted than felt. Light-medium body, a bit sticky with sweetness, and just kind of messy all over. Not really sure what they were going for, nor am I sure it will hold up for another 7 years.

But I got the vertical going anyway, for whatever reason.

2.9/5  rDev -18.5%

A: Pours a clear, amber-gold pour. Big fluffy and frothy white head. Head fades away at a moderate pace but leaves only the smallest bits of lacing behind.

S: Spicy. Ginger and cinnamon maybe? Touch of breadiness and a little tropical fruit.

T: Whoa. Very strong flavors up front. Lots of ginger primarily. Swear I get a little cinnamon maybe but I'm not sure. Some other spices I can't identify. A bit of yeasty bread in the middle. Some pineapple in the finish that mixes in. Long lingering spicy finish. Flavor and spices are strong enough that I shudder at every sip. Not in a good way, either.

M: Heavy, thick.

O: Whew, tough one to drink. Just a mess of super strong spices and fruit. No real indication of alcohol but super harsh nonetheless. I could not drink this one and ended up drainpouring it. Just an unpleasant combination of strong flavors. Maybe with some age on it it would be decent. For reference, I love some of the stronger beers like 120min, Chocolate Rain, etc but this was just ...bleh. A mess of a beer.

2.91/5  rDev -18.3%

Had on tap at Toronado in San Diego.

A - Cloudy orange in color with absolutely no head. Obviously no lacing as the beer had no head, but a very pretty color indeed.

S - Belgian yeast, candy sugar, apricots, and granny smith apples. Smells very fresh and alive.

T - Very tart, almost bordering on a sour ale without the berry flavors you'd be used to. Very dry finish. Lots of sour apple, reminds me of a sour jolly rancher. Way too tart and dry! Not impressed in the slightest.

M - No carbonation at all. Leaves a lot of after taste.

O - Just a strange flavor. Strange blend of sour ale and Belgian ale that doesn't really work well together.

2.96/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a crystal clear deep golden color with a good sized beige head that slowly dissipates to a cap and minimal lace. Smells of light brown sugar, all spice, pepper, spicy yeast, and a faint hint of ginger. The flavor is sweet with sugary malt up front contrasted by a butt load of spices. Pepper, all spice, ginger along with the spicy yeasty flavors really make this a muddled mess. Tart and tangy finish with a bit of ethanol on the finish. Medium body with a sweet watery mouthfeel and a moderate level of carbonation. This is not a brew for me, It's too heavy handed on the spice for my tastes. Maybe in 7 years it will meld a bit better.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
5 Golden Rings from The Bruery