Rueuze - The Bruery

The Bruery visit their website

Gueuze |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: IKR on 11-10-2012

Our take on a gueuze-style ale, this intensely tart and funky beer combines three different vintages of our barrel aged sour blonde ale.
Reviews: 147 | Hads: 1,310
4.71/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Beautiful execution. Color is golden with a hint of brown (assuming oak). Smells of lemon and grape fruit with a hint of oak. T:Again citrus at the start, following with oak and ending in tart goodness. Light body and carbonation is just right, makes it very fresh.

4.69/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I'm really excited to try a gueuze made in the US for the first time, I'm also always excited to try a Bruery beer new to me!

A-golden with an almost no head except some white around the rim. not many bubbles. from the belgian gueuzes I've had, this seems to be more or less the norm.

S-super sour scent of lemongrass and citrus. it really tingles the nose!! smells awesome.

T-comes in with a perfectly tart flavor of lemongrass and citrus. it really makes me pucker! the flavors are clear and of high quality. this sure is savory! it has a crisp matching after-taste that really sticks to the mouth. has a certain oak flavor and rawness to it as well.

M-medium to low carbonation with a sticky finish. though not typically desirable in a beer, this is common in a Belgian gueze, giving this a real feeling of authenticity.

O-if you gave me this with out telling me what it was, i would tell you that it's a fine example of gueuze from Belgium. I'm surprised an american brewery, even The Bruery was able to get it spot on. Truthfully this beer is mouth watering. I could drink this so quickly and so easily.

4.68/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a Bruery snifter. Purchased in Attleboro, MA.

Appearance - Pours a bright, sunny yellow colored hazy body with a 2 finger white head that reduces fairly quickly to a ring of foam. No lacing. 4.5

Smell - Very pleasant on the nose, fresh citrus and tropical fruit, tart lactic, subtle barnyard funk and yeast, oak, belgian spice, bread, slight caramel malt backbone. 4.5

Taste - Absolutely fantastic.. where do I start.. The first notes to hit the tongue are a perfectly balanced mixture of tart fruit, sweet and sour apple, sour grape, citrus, lemon juice. The follow through is perfectly funky, yeasty, and musty, complimented with absolutely delicious oak and wood notes. The finish is dry and citrusy, leaving a slight vanilla flavor in the mouth.

Mouthfeel - Medium-light body, medium carbonation, crisp, refreshing.. one of the most drinkable beers I've ever tasted.

Wow is all I can say. I love The Bruery and was expecting this to be awesome, but it absolutely blew me away and exceeded every expectation I had. Honestly, my taste buds are telling me that this is a nearly perfect representation of the Gueuze style. MUST try for all sour/gueuze/wild fans.

4.66/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

750 ml bottle poured into a Bruery tulip.
5.6% ABV, 08/27/13, "Rueuze is suitable for aging up to five years when cellared properly. Best stored and cellared around 55°F. Ideal serving temperature is 50°F. Please pour carefully, leaving the yeast sediment behind in the bottle. Best served in a tulip or wine glass."

A - The tall white head's disappearing act comes as no surprise when one whiff of this acidic beer is taken. Fingers of lace decorate the tulip above the bright but hazy goldenrod-colored beer.

S - Rueuze is a powerhouse of funk that kicks off with damp sweat sock and squeaky pool noodle with intense acidic barnyard funk following. Horse blanket and damp straw strike the perfect chord in this Belgian clone as it finishes with just a light suggestion of dry oak vats but keeping the head alive to capture the aroma takes many swirls.

T - Tart ground lemon rind sprinkles just a touch of citrus over the beer's funky yeast profile that mimics the nose; barn and animal with the oddly described sweat sock and pool toy finishing. If you're a sour lover, you know what I mean and if not, try it and with one sip it will make perfect sense.

M - Instantaneous sourness engages in a death grip on the tongue, not letting go for any reason and it's glorious! Bone dry tartness washes down with saliva-sucking capabilities and a mild carbonation level that's quite like the beautiful Belgian gueuzes.

O - With descriptors like damp sweat sock, barnyard, and pool toys, to the uninitiated, The Bruery's Rueuze might sound like an experiment gone horribly wrong but it's just the contrary! Like Champagne to the wine world, beer cannot be called Gueuze outside certain areas of Belgium but The Bruery has, in Rueuze, created one of the closest American Wild Ale clones of this classic and highly sought after style. From it's bright golden color to the invitingly funky aroma, this sour power beer has all of it's bases covered with exceptional grace and the best part is, this is one Bruery beer that makes it out into distribution! Hooray!

4.62/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750mL bottle poured into a snifter. Review #1400!

(A)- Pours a hazy golden creamed apricot-like orange color. Some good white froth that dissipated quickly.

(S)- A great lemon rind sweetness meets a wealth of oaky acidic sourness. Ever so slighty lacticness at the end.

(T)- A very nice acidity overall to this. Some lemon and orange citrus meets a dry yet sour oaky finish. Not overly dirty or earthy, but definitely on the cleaner-side.

(M)- A good crisp carbonation level combined with an awesome balance of sour fruit and dry oak. Again, like the taste, is not overly funky or dirty, but quite clean in its sourness.

(O)- I really dig this. Possibly one of my most favorite sours from the Bruery to date. A great sourness to it combined with a well balanced and rounded oakiness makes this a winner for me. Definitely makes me wish I grabbed more than one bottle.

4.59/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a nice-looking, well-carbonated golden body. Decent white head.
Smell is VERY interesting. To me it's like burnt corn, with some underlying peanut/ general nut funkiness. Bottle indicates 6% abv.
A fresh roasted husky scent that I love. Sour nose yes, but different.
The first taste and it's just like the scent. The sour tartness lingers through now. The nuttiness I picked up in the nose translates to more of a funk-filled white grape party. The burnt corn is still there. All a nice sour mashup of flavor. Really sour, too.
Nicely crisp and carbonated throughout.
Only had a few sours so far. This was by far the most tasty/ memorable.
Too bad I can't buy this in TX.

4.56/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Orange-golden with a fair about of white head. Slightly hazy.

Smell: Oh man, this is a good one. Smells strongly of oak and vanilla with an acetic sharpness over everything. Despite the vinegar, there is something soft about the nose as well. Hard to put my finger on.

Mouthfeel: A bit on the dry side. Not particularly thick bodied, but it coats the mouth and the back of the throat like milk.

Taste: A host of sour fruits dominate as expected. Plums, citrus, and cherry are all present but strawberry is the king of the Rueuze. As in the nose, oaky-vanilla flavors are present as well. There's something lactic going on in every aspect of this beer that gives it a milk-like quality, and not in a bad way. After drinking about half the glass my wife absolutely nailed what I was trying to express - This tastes like strawberry cheesecake!

Overall: This is an absolutely fantastic beer. I would recommend this to any of my friends who enjoy sours, though perhaps not to those who do not. I'll be brewing a sour blonde in a few weeks, and I think I'm going to shoot for something like this.

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a beer goblet.

Pours a beautiful golden color with a minimal head and minimal lacing. Smells of sour deliciousness!! The sour bouquet is phemononel!! Flavor is legit...very tart, as the lacto is very prevelant. I would definitely recommend this for any sour fan!

4.44/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Nice tart and balance, refreshing and a nice easy drinker. This one is a definite favorite of mine now from the bruery, ignore the price tag if you haven't tried it yet

4.43/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750 mL bottle purchased at Connecticut Ave. Wine & Liquors in NW D.C., 2013 Edition, poured into my The Bruery "Rue the Day" tulip glass and drank over 30 minutes

A: 3/3 - golden-yellow coloration, impressive clarity (able to see and read through my pour but clarity dropped significantly as approached the dregs), initial 2 finger soapy white head settles into a 1/2 finger glass lacing, high carbonation with tight white bubbles just pouring off the bottom of the glass, small alcohol legs

S: 10/12 - big admixture of citrus fruit - lemon, lime, and apricot - and sour - acetic, barnyard and tart - notes; no detectable hops, malts, barrel-notes or flaws

T: 18/20 - on first sip, there 's an intense tart/funk with complex fruit flavors in the background - lemon, lime, ripe pear; in the middle of the mouth, some of the oak and vanilla flavors start to pop with a subtle woodines; there's a very mild malt character; little detectable hops or alcohol; finishes dry

M: 4/5 - very high carbonation (almost Mimosa-like), easily quaffable (as expected for the low alcohol), just a little thin for me

T: 9/10 - another winning Bruery's sour, which further solidifies their standing as the best American sour program; hits all the major points emphasized by the BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines in 17E.; although expensive, $22.99 for a bottle in the greater Washington D.C. area, this is definitely worth your investment for now and later

TOTAL - 44/50

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a copper color with a quickly dissipating head. The aroma is full on sour complimented by soft grains. In the taste, sour traits and a great blend to add depth and complexity. Hard to discern between some of the better Gueze (or Gueuze) I've had. Well defined flavors of candi sugar, fresh lemon peel, oak, and healthy wild yeast tartness. Barrel aged brew with a soft dryness. Medium bodied, good sustain. Overall, this is as good as some imports, and the three batch blend gives it that authentic taste. Great beer!

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at the source itself, on to the beer:

Bruery's version of a gueuze starts off with a light golden orange color and topped with a little head which goes away quickly. The aroma is on the mark, which I wasn't expecting. The Bruery usually adds a twist to a traditional style, however this is a straightforward gueuze and it gets right down to business. A faint note of fruit, a stronger note of pleasant tartness, vague citrus, mild vinegar, all coming together very well.

This is a refresher as much as a great flavored beer. The eye is centered on the tartness, which is downright enjoyable. Accents of lemon add to the fun of Rueuze. There's a vague rusticness. My saliva started to thicken as I drank more and more, which is one of the most reliable indicators I have to tell whether I have a winner of a sour ale. I think we do.

Not an authentic gueuze, but whatever it is, it's outstanding ale that I will be doing again.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Excellent! Poured at a good temperature with a modest, foamy, cream-colored head that soon settled to an island and ring with a bit of lace. Color is a clear gold amber with lots of large bubble trails. Aroma at first is a very heady blend of many things including acidic fruit, fresh sawn lumber, olives, yeast, malt. Then a lot of that quiets down. Flavor’s much like nose, tart stands out but has just enough sweet to balance; almost no bitter, oak is in there. Body/carbonation are perfect. Finish is like flavor, is unusually drinkable for a gueuze, strangely a tad boozy too.

4.41/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Gold tangerine body with lively carbonation. Fine white head pours well but settles quickly with low lace.

S - Distinctively sour nose. Lemon acidy, dry grass, and tart peaches.

T - Wow. Bracingly sour. Lemon, copper pennies, peach pits, honey, citric acid, and apple sour warheads.

M - Bright, medium frame. Nice carbonation. Clean, lingering finish.

O - Imho with the straight, aggressive sourness the beer drinks more like an American Wild than a Sour Belgian Blonde, but it's stellar in either case.

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Shared with JLindros and poured into a Kate the Great tulip.

A - Poured a hazy dandelion golden hue with no real head. Just a thin halo. Very nice.

S - Aromas of strong hay and funky barnyard. Lots of sour lemons and hints of stone fruits, dusty basement. Very very powerful and inviting and incredibly sour smelling.

T - Taste is full ans funky at first barnyard and hay and then wapow apricot pit! I think they blended filmishmish withbthis or used that barrel because there is an incredible amount of apricot here. Funky, barnyard, sour, and stone fruits. My goodness.

M - Mouthfeel is sharp and super sour,with a nice dry acidic finish. Lowly carbonated but it works.

O - Overall I was floored by this beer. Such a great flavor profile here with light sour apricot and faint barrel notes. Incredibly well done

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750 ml cork n cage bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours a light honey color with a 2" white head. Trails of lacing remain.

Big vinegar and surprised about the cherry and dark fruit notes. Some citrus and lactic acidic in there too.

Vinegar, tart citrus and cherry. Don't get any spice really from the rye, but finishes clean.

7/10 sourness. Very good sour. The cherry notes surprised me. Got this in trade but think I will grab a couple around me.

4.39/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

@ Busy Bee

Cloudy golden-orange glow topped with only a slim ring of a head. Quality funky aromas of sour lime, lemon, apricot, wet hay, mineral notes, and general Gueuze-y stinkiness. Loads of really satisfying Lambic flavor...sour lemon, stone fruit, light woody funk, mineral. Acidic, but not too sharp or lactic. Easily drinkable, dry, puckering, lip-smacking goodness. I expect good things from The Bruery, but this really surprised me. On a night full of funky goodness at Sourfest, this was my favorite of the night and the only beer I needed a refill. I haven't tried this from the bottle yet, but I'd be less hesitant to fork over $20 now. Excellent!

4.39/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into an enlarged snifter. This was bottled on 09/05/13.

Appearance: Pours a peachy amber color and leaves a couple fingers of white head that fade in a flash to nothing. Many carbonation bubbles can be seen floating to the surface.

Smell: Green apple, lemon, slight hay funk, tart grapes. Pleasant, light, refreshing slightly funky, sour notes.

Taste: Green apple, lemon, crackery malts, mild pleasant funk, hints of other fruits: tart cherries, peach, grapes. Really well balanced and nuanced - the sour is present but very manageable, definitely not overly. Very drinkable.

Mouth-feel: Medium carbonation with a medium, fairly creamy body. Fits the style well. Finishes quite dry.

Overall: I'm definitely a fan of this - it hits all the funky, sour, tart notes without overdoing it. Definitely glad I picked this one up (on sale too) and may reach for another. Delicious tart fruit notes are the highlight.

4.39/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

$20 750ml that was on sale for $16, so I picked it up... what better time to try a Bruery beer for the first time than when it's on sale? Bottled about eleven months ago on 9/13/13 I believe. *My FIRST Gueuze*

Appearance: A somewhat hazy orange with no head about 20 seconds after the pour. Nothing to get excited about, but I do like the color of it.

Smell: Funky. I've had some sour beer, and although this beer probably doesn't exactly qualify as one, it has a lot of that same aroma. Majorly funky and sour smelling with some wet trunk, hay, and a wallop of overly ripe citrus. Man I love the smell of beers like this... strange as hell, in my opinion, but compelling as can be. Excellent... though I don't have any specific Gueuzes to compare this to.

Taste/feel: The feel is light, but not water light... a perfect consistency for this beer. Carbonation is about moderately prickly and a perfect compliment to the sourness in this beer. Some would call it tart, I'd say this beer is more sour than tart... it'll get your jaws going. The taste is tart for spit second, then sour enough to make your mouth water mid-sip, and then ends tart again. Super dry finish, like a vinegar vacuum -- yeah, I know that's not a thing, bear with me. I'd even go as far as saying the end of this beer is salty. I'm not getting an insane amount of depth of flavor that I'd expect in a beer that retails at about $20, but what's there is delicious. I get trunk funk and that puckering citrus character with bits of yeasty esters or something like that, but there's not much else there -- I suppose a grape-like quality as it warms up a tick. The oak character from this beer is very, very mild, and I doubt I'd think it was aged in barrels in a blind tasting. I guess I'd like a bit more of a lingering flavor with the tartness as well, but since I don't have any other from the style to compare this to, I can't tell if this is considered normal or not. On some sips I do get a very faint biscuity malt flavor at the end, but it's subtle, and I don't get it consistently for some reason.

This is a fabulous beer, but I'm throwing it "just" a four overall because the normal price of this beer is pretty high at $20 -- The Bruery's high prices are what took me so long to try one in the first place. I'd try more beers from them for sure, but as good as this one is, I couldn't see myself spending $20 for a 750ml of it. Would be curious to see what this beer does with a couple or three years of age on it.

If you can afford it, go for it... especially if you're fortunate enough to see it on sale like I did.

EDIT: As if this review wasn't long enough, I just wanted to say I'm bumping the taste and overall rating by a quarter point. This beer truly is phenomenal, and one I could drink until my tongue dries out. I just can't get enough of it. Every sip is as good as the first. I'll likely be back to adjust some scores as I drink more from the style, but right now, this beer is tasting absolutely unbelievably awesome.

4.37/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy apricot browns and oranges are stirred about by an active carbonation that built a foamy and fizzy cap.

The aroma is tangy, sour, musty and quite funky with fragrant white grapes, Chardonnay, white wine and floral tones.

The palate gets vanilla coconut and oak barrel at first blush. Then a sour, tart and funky mineral flavor floats through. The Chardonnay, white grape and wine like qualities than hold true all the way to the finish.

This is so drinkable with a very even tart, sweet and sour personality.

This was a bit expensive for a lower ABV beer but wow it's a wild ride!

4.36/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a hazy orange-ish to yellow color with a small white head. In the aroma, dry and tart peaches, with some funky cheese. In the taste, dry and tart peaces, with a small lemon presence in the end. A small tart bite, but mainly smooth, with a lightly dry tart peach flavor in the aftertaste. Not much oak, just lots of dry tart peaches.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Once again, shared with rudzud.

Light fizzy head fades quickly like it barely existed at all, hazy murky apricot colored.

Nose is awesome, great lambic, sour funk and lemon fruit, tartness, light lemongrass, hint of stone fruit and maybe apricot but hard to really pinpoint, light funk, hint of oak barrel, mineraly, acidic, just great gueuze.

Taste hits with a big sour kick, tart fruit, stone fruit with huge apricot and bit of a mango like, little nectarines and clementine like. Big tart fruit and funk. Pure apricot like sucking on the pit with niblets still on it. Just a hint creamy. Nice overall sourness. Finish is little flemmy, long lingering apricot and sour fruit, hint bready funk, tart, light sweetness too but dry, little acid bite.

Mouth is lighter bod, decent enough but lighter carb.

Overall great, great sour and tart fruit flavors and aromas, nice apricot and fruit middle that adds a great touch, little light on the funk for now but will probably pick up as it ages.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a golden bodied beer, slightly hazy, with a thin effervescent eggshell head.

S - Lemon and green apple. Oak on the backend. Definitely musty with some funk.

T - Boom... Lemon sour to start off. Green apple and white grapes come through on the backend. The oak is light, but noticeable. And the funk is ever present.

M - Light bodied and light carbonation. Has a very crisp and dry finish that aides the puckering sour.

O - This is great... And probably my favorite tart/sour from The Bruery to date. One I'd reach for time & time again if I could and was in the mood.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

bottle to snifter 2014 vintage

A- golden straw in color and hazy with a 1/2 finger white head. leaves no lacing. head dissipates quickly

S-strong musty acidic smell with citrus layers very strong lemony smell.

T- very citrus tastes with a strong lemony taste as the primary flavor. it's is def. sour and enjoyable. light sour patch kids taste going on with this beer. As it warms up a staw/hay like taste develops at the back end.

M-light body with decent carbonation.

Overall this is a very good sour beer. I would def buy this again but not regularly. I am not sure how much everyone else paid but I paid $20 for 1 bottle. It's a bit steep in price but very good. A once a year purchase when you can find it.

4.34/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: medium gold body, just short of clear, ivory head a finger+ high; slims to a collar, only traces of brief lace

S: citrus fruit and flowers; clean, fresh malt grain and grasses; dankness lurking beneath the pithy citrus

T: up-front tartness puckers the palate, crisp citric notes and sour apple; oak barrel dryness; tart and funky; dry white wine acidity

M: fizzy and tart - drying and tightening; light-weight but medium-bodied; wine-like moments, like a pinot grigio

O: an elegant drink, very tart and bright, heavy wet citrus and dry oak wood create a graceful and drinkable brew - if you can dig on a sour ale, and you dig on barrel-aging sour ales, then this should be right up your alley, provided you don't mind spending $20+ to buy a bottle.

Rueuze from The Bruery