Rueuze - The Bruery

RueuzeRueuze

The Bruery visit their website

Gueuze |  5.60% ABV

Our take on a gueuze-style ale, this intensely tart and funky beer combines three different vintages of our barrel aged sour blonde ale.

(Beer added by: IKR on 11-10-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rueuze Alström Bros

slowfade, Aug 14, 2014

jbwimer, Aug 13, 2014

zachattack555, Aug 11, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

eball33, Aug 10, 2014

Dirty25, Aug 10, 2014
2.7/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Orange. Clear. A few large bubbles.

Smell - Acetic. A little lemony. Monotonic aroma.

Taste - Puckering sourness, not as acetic. More woody. Very lemony. Not so pleasant sourness lingers.

Mouthfeel - Sour, not as intense as some other Bruery sours, but strong. Low carbonation and kinda slick.

Overall - Not very good. Nothing resembling a gueuze. I realize it's their "take," but I was hoping for some of the positive characteristics.

Alieniloquium, Aug 09, 2014

bnelson997, Aug 09, 2014

edhizdeid, Aug 09, 2014

MikeMirage, Aug 08, 2014
4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

$20 750ml that was on sale for $16, so I picked it up... what better time to try a Bruery beer for the first time than when it's on sale? Bottled about eleven months ago on 9/13/13 I believe. *My FIRST Gueuze*

Appearance: A somewhat hazy orange with no head about 20 seconds after the pour. Nothing to get excited about, but I do like the color of it.

Smell: Funky. I've had some sour beer, and although this beer probably doesn't exactly qualify as one, it has a lot of that same aroma. Majorly funky and sour smelling with some wet trunk, hay, and a wallop of overly ripe citrus. Man I love the smell of beers like this... strange as hell, in my opinion, but compelling as can be. Excellent... though I don't have any specific Gueuzes to compare this to.

Taste/feel: The feel is light, but not water light... a perfect consistency for this beer. Carbonation is about moderately prickly and a perfect compliment to the sourness in this beer. Some would call it tart, I'd say this beer is more sour than tart... it'll get your jaws going. The taste is tart for spit second, then sour enough to make your mouth water mid-sip, and then ends tart again. Super dry finish, like a vinegar vacuum -- yeah, I know that's not a thing, bear with me. I'd even go as far as saying the end of this beer is salty. I'm not getting an insane amount of depth of flavor that I'd expect in a beer that retails at about $20, but what's there is delicious. I get trunk funk and that puckering citrus character with bits of yeasty esters or something like that, but there's not much else there -- I suppose a grape-like quality as it warms up a tick. The oak character from this beer is very, very mild, and I doubt I'd think it was aged in barrels in a blind tasting. I guess I'd like a bit more of a lingering flavor with the tartness as well, but since I don't have any other from the style to compare this to, I can't tell if this is considered normal or not. On some sips I do get a very faint biscuity malt flavor at the end, but it's subtle, and I don't get it consistently for some reason.

This is a fabulous beer, but I'm throwing it "just" a four overall because the normal price of this beer is pretty high at $20 -- The Bruery's high prices are what took me so long to try one in the first place. I'd try more beers from them for sure, but as good as this one is, I couldn't see myself spending $20 for a 750ml of it. Would be curious to see what this beer does with a couple or three years of age on it.

If you can afford it, go for it... especially if you're fortunate enough to see it on sale like I did.

EDIT: As if this review wasn't long enough, I just wanted to say I'm bumping the taste and overall rating by a quarter point. This beer truly is phenomenal, and one I could drink until my tongue dries out. I just can't get enough of it. Every sip is as good as the first. I'll likely be back to adjust some scores as I drink more from the style, but right now, this beer is tasting absolutely unbelievably awesome.

Alextricity, Aug 08, 2014

ShriverMO, Aug 06, 2014

Ferrari805, Aug 06, 2014
4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Pours a crystal clear medium golden orange in color with minimal amounts of gentle visible carbonation very slowly rising from the bottom of the glass and a moderate amount of golden yellow + brassy highlights. The beer has a half finger tall fizzy sudsy white head that reduces to a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to heavy aromas of tartness along with a light to moderate amount of funkiness as well. Hints of lemon citrus and apricot/peach underneath the stronger tartness.

T: Upfront there is a light hint of wheat malt with a moderate to strong amount of tartness. Underneath the tartness, there if a light to moderate flavor of apricot + peach + lemon/citrus. There is a light to moderate amount of funkiness and a moderate flavor of oak from the barrel aging. Overall, there is a moderate lingering tartness.

M: Slightly heavier than light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Moderate to heavy amounts of acidic prickliness.

O: Very enjoyable because there is a moderate to significant amount of complexity to the flavor of this beer. Not so tart that it is hard to drink but certainly not a beer that you would drink real quickly, one to be savored and enjoyed. Definitely worth grabbing, not as funky as some of the others in the style but a very nice drinking beer.

dbrauneis, Aug 05, 2014

lochef81, Aug 05, 2014

soulcougher, Aug 04, 2014
4.24/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured a wonderful cloudy golden color with a half finger of white head. It looked fantastic and very true to style. Scents of sour barnyard funk, green apple, apple cider vinegar, sour cherry, sour citrus and citrus peel and light aromas of oak and faint vanilla. A with wonderfully layered aroma with a true to style bouquet that is appealing and wild. Flavor begins delightfully sour with notes of sour, wild Brett, lemon juice, sour raspberry and sour green apple. This moves into a sour middle of sour green apple and sour barnyard funk. Finish is dry and sour with a wonderful flavor of oak, sour green apple, sour raspberry, sour Brett funk, and lemon juice. Aftertaste is sour with notes of raspberry, sour green apple and oak. A wonderful flavor profile that is dry, sour, fruity and complex. A fine geuze. Mouthfeel is light bodied with effervescent carbonation and a puckering, drying feel. A good, refreshing mouthfeel. Overall this is a fine geuze. It is sour, fruity and complex in aroma and taste and combines with a refreshing mouthfeel to make a fine geuze lambic. Quite nice and highly recommended.

Auraan, Aug 04, 2014