Collaboration Series: Mrs. Stoutfire - The Bruery

Collaboration Series: Mrs. StoutfireCollaboration Series: Mrs. Stoutfire

The Bruery visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

For our first local collaboration beer of 2013, we teamed up with our good friends at Beachwood Brewing in Long Beach, CA. We've worked with these folks on a number of small batch brews, beer dinners and general shenanigans for many years and it was really exciting to sit down and work on a full scale project with them for the first time. What we ended up with is an imperial smoked stout, but of course it wasn't that simple. We smoked our own malt on the same smoker and with the same blend of three different woods that Beachwood uses for their award winning BBQ - apple, white oak and pecan. We then aged the beer on those same three types of wood. The resulting stout is hearty and wonderful, balancing the rich, meaty smokiness with the sweetness of the malt.

(Beer added by: ngeunit1 on 03-29-2013)
1.13/5  rDev -70.9%

Tasted like I fell asleep drunk next to a nasty camp fire, smoked isn't my gig but in my opinion there are far better representatives out there. Looks like a delicious stout, smells like a 4 day camp fire, taste like a log that just wouldn't burn. I tap out and yes I'm a quitter, I love Beachwood but this is horrible.

1424IpA, Jun 14, 2013

tastyville, May 22, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -29.1%

JamLand, May 29, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -29.1%

CTJman, Oct 19, 2013
2.99/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

750ml thick brown glass bottle with colorful label art and branded pry-off cap acquired for $14.99 USD plus tax at a local beer store and served into a flared stem-snifter/tulip hybrid glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are somewhat high; I'm not a big fan of either brewery but each has at least one rather good beer in this style.

Served cold - straight from me fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger wide head of khaki-tan colour. Good creaminess and thickness. Nice frothiness. Good retention for the high ABV - about 7 minutes. Nice even lacing as the head recedes.

Body colour is an opaque jet black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's an appealing appearance for the style - but isn't unique or special. No overt flaws are evident.

Sm: Dark malts, chocolate malts. Has a definite malty sweetness. Caramel. I do pick up on the smoke in the sense that I detect light bacon and pork. It's not so evocative that I could pick up on the actual wood used; i.e. I don't get hickory, applewood, mesquite, etc. A largely pleasant aroma of mild to moderate strength. It's not the most approachable aroma, but I'm optimistic.

No yeast character or hops are detectable.

T: Dark malts, chocolate malt, light timid smoke. The smoke is about as shallow as smoke can possibly be; zero depth of flavour for the smoke in particular. Caramel. Build is pretty generic for the style; you have to bring far more to the table in terms of complexity and subtlety to really stand out in this style. Balance is okay. Why brew this? Feels like a cashgrab - and hey, it worked - they got my money. I don't get much in terms of wood; the aging might have been for nought. I wonder how long they actually "aged" it; couldn't have been any more than 3 months given the timetable between Beachwood beginning to roll out bottles and this coming out. I feel swindled. Its mediocrity grows as it warms; there's just so little going on here.

Flavour depth is below average for the style. Flavour intensity and duration are average.

No yeast character or hop character comes through. Some alcohol is noticeable.

Maybe the smoke just fell off with time? I look for oak, pecan, and apple wood, but I can only find slight traces - and then only when I actively search for them. I'm left to conclude that this beer just falls of with age.

That said, the pecan in particular does develop as the beer warms; it surfaces more and more.

Mf: Sticky, smooth, wet. Pretty good carbonation. Suits the flavour profile in a general sense, but doesn't feel custom-tailored to it. Good body and thickness.

Dr: A downable smoked imperial stout without much smoke. Misses the mark in terms of smoke, but it's a drinkable little beer. That said, it's rather forgettable; there's nothing about this that would make me return to it - especially at this unreasonably high a price point. Another overpriced beer of middling quality from The Bruery/Beachwood. I wouldn't recommend this to friends. I'll finish this bottle alone with effort. ABV is decently hidden.

Meh.